• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Choc-son

Sergeant
31 Badges
May 14, 2023
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Depose ruler decision:

Under national decisions there should be the option to depose ruler, if triggered this will trigger an issue in the parliament where you have to similar as it is with the acts of union that England has, get it passed. This will then depose your ruler with however spawning pretender rebels in the process to restore the old monarch, unless their heir became monarch in which case their is a 25/50% chance. However for this to be done you should either need an heir or if not you get an event where you can take candidates from your allies dynasties. To avoid exploitation there should also be a cooldown such as that you can do it e.g. every 25 or 50 years. There should also be some limitations to when this can be done such as that the ruler has very few pips.

Two examples of this happening during the time of EU IV are Charles I and James II.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The royalists losing the English Civil War is already a choice via the English Civil War disaster. You can also abdicate as a ruler with relevant dlcs
Yes, but there is a difference between being deposed and abdicating. Afterall abdicating usually doesn’t result in a civil war while deposition always has a chance.

Reactions:
There is a difference, but your suggestion can a) already be achieved and b) is nation ruining for no reason
I would rather have a short civil war to remove a 0.0.0 ruler in their early years (if I don’t manage to disinherit), which isn’t possible with disinheriting as there is a minimum age or ruling time, before falling behind on tech. I have had it several times before that my ruler died heirless with 20 years and I got a 1.1.0 or so and then had to wait ages to abdicate causing me to fall behind massively on tech. In that case I rather remove them, as this is something that has happened if someone was very incompetent, and move on with a more competent person. It would also make the parliaments more historical and give them another feature that makes them more important in game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Parliaments have in history several times deposed rulers for incompetence. So I think that does reflect the history behind this.
Both examples you Quote in your original post are due to a number of reasons (from what I remember mainly religious differences, unpopular policies and opposition to centralisation efforts). These are not simply incompetence by the monarch, but a multitude of factors coming together.

Both are also from one state only who famously had a strong parliament not really common in other (at least European) countries.

From your further posts it seems pretty clear to me that you just want to get rid of a low stat monarch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Both examples you Quote in your original post are due to a number of reasons (from what I remember mainly religious differences, unpopular policies and opposition to centralisation efforts). These are not simply incompetence by the monarch, but a multitude of factors coming together.

Both are also from one state only who famously had a strong parliament not really common in other (at least European) countries.

From your further posts it seems pretty clear to me that you just want to get rid of a low stat monarch.
Aside from bad stats though, there are other desposition reasons, such as die-ing with out an heir, and having a monarch of foreign culture and religion as king; this would cause issues.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Aside from bad stats though, there are other desposition reasons, such as die-ing with out an heir, and having a monarch of foreign culture and religion as king; this would cause issues.
And then you hope for pretender rebels to spawn, parliament issues arent set in stone to appear either unless decisions so sometimes the player has to deal with a setback

• 1Like
Reactions:

Actually I am currently playing as Austria, it is 1604 and am dominating Europe with the HRE and a few PUs (Spain, Portugal and Poland-Lithuania. The British also have the von Habsburgs on the throne but unfortunately they have an heir.) and am currently lead by a 6 6 5 monarch called Franz Joseph that is 32 years old and has been on the throne since the age of 6. (or 7, not sure) My last ruler was also great, it was an Empress (5 6 4) I got through the Talented daughter event. Unfortunately my streak of amazing rulers will soon probably end as my heir is a 3 5 3, but fingers crossed he goes hunting soon. ;) Otherwise I will just have to get a few advisors to keep on trac with admin or disinherit him as there is still plenty of time left till the Emperor dies, hopefully. (Incase you are wondering why diplo always is high, it is due to the Imperial Austrian monarchy reform.)

Edit: My heir is 2 5 3. My mistake.

Last edited:
Actually I am currently playing as Austria, it is 1604 and am dominating Europe with the HRE and a few PUs (Spain, Portugal and Poland-Lithuania. The British also have the von Habsburgs on the throne but unfortunately they have an heir.) and am currently lead by a 6 6 5 monarch called Franz Joseph that is 32 years old and has been on the throne since the age of 6. (or 7, not sure) My last ruler was also great, it was an Empress (5 6 4) I got through the Talented daughter event. Unfortunately my streak of amazing rulers will soon probably end as my heir is a 3 5 3, but fingers crossed he goes hunting soon. ;) Otherwise I will just have to get a few advisors to keep on trac with admin or disinherit him as there is still plenty of time left till the Emperor dies, hopefully. (Incase you are wondering why diplo always is high, it is due to the Imperial Austrian monarchy reform.)

Edit: My heir is 2 5 3. My mistake.
Why is that relevant again?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then what does this mean? Also I am two ahead in admin at the moment anyway so it doesn’t matter if my 16 year old heir comes on the throne because theoretically if he his 16 years younger then my current Emperor he will only reign 16 years meaning that the damage isn’t going to be that big anyway.

Also you stated that my examples are in a country that had a strong parliament. Then shouldn’t you have the option to replicate this as another nation in EU IV, after all it is an alternative history game 99% of the time and government reforms exist so that you can reform you country and the only reason this didn’t happen so much historically is that most countries just didn’t have a parliament. However there is the option to get a parliament in EU IV so I think that if you get one that you should be able to do this.

Then what does this mean? Also I am two ahead in admin at the moment anyway so it doesn’t matter if my 16 year old heir comes on the throne because theoretically if he his 16 years younger then my current Emperor he will only reign 16 years meaning that the damage isn’t going to be that big anyway.

Also you stated that my examples are in a country that had a strong parliament. Then shouldn’t you have the option to replicate this as another nation in EU IV, after all it is an alternative history game 99% of the time and government reforms exist so that you can reform you country and the only reason this didn’t happen so much historically is that most countries just didn’t have a parliament. However there is the option to get a parliament in EU IV so I think that if you get one that you should be able to do this.
A low stat monarch means him being a 1/1/1 or 0/0/0, the examples are not just countries with strong parliaments but strong parliaments in times of crisis.

Your posts in this thread give me the impression you mainly see this as an aditional way to get rid of a bad monarch. So it is not about increasing the historical accuracy but about not having to deal with a bad ruler.

You claimed that this is common and only ever brought two examples from one country that had a myriad of reasons and not just "bad ruler". England is also extremely unique among the European monarchies. Basing an historical argument solely on your examples is unconvincing to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Regardless of OP's intentions, this can still be useful for other reasons. To limit the possibility of making the game easier, we could limit it to monarchs who cause "Unwanted Circumstances," i.e., excommunicated monarchs, those of heretic religions, those of unaccepted cultures, etc. It could also be a way for countries in a PU to split off, if liberty desire is high enough.