Paradox Short Story Contest 2014 - Rewrite History!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Would it be allowed to include a simple monochrome map as part of one's entry?

You can send one if you like, but the story has to work without it and we won't include it in our evaluation of the story. We won't include maps in the anthology.

Thanks for the contest, will have to give it a crack and see what pours out.

I am wondering, is sci-fi allowed a bit? (IE time travel), like say someone going back in time to that historical moment and creating a divergent path or causing a part of history to go the wrong way?

Sure, a little sci-fi is allowed, as long as it remains an alternate history story (as opposed to a sci-fi story that just happens to be set in history). :)

It's come to my attention that given how we're writing alternate history, it might be useful for authors to use footnotes or endnotes to indicate what locations they are referring to, or quickly explain minor points of divergence. As mentioned earlier, my story involves a totally different group of people settling the New World, so most things have different names. Would footnotes be allowed?

A short text at the end, say 200 words, explaining what happened in actual history in regard to the events of your story, would be good. We will be asking every author to make one. :)

I had a question: Can the event that altered history have taken place before 1444? The events outlined in the short story would take place in the time period outlined (1444 - 1820) but alternate events that have occurred before the time period would have influenced the events that occur during the period. Is this allowed?

As a random example: Islam would have been defeated in the 8th century (events before time period) and the Byzantines could have survived until the Enlightenment when a Greek Byzantine philosopher travels Europe, challenging the finest minds of the era a la Socrates (events during time period).

Yayap is right - the point of divergence should be set in the EU4 time frame. The story could be set in that era, or later.

Can I write it in broken Swedish?
What if Finland had revolted when Katarina told them to (although factually it is almost possible) and I would never have had to learn the language..

It'll have to be in English, I'm afraid. :)

How do rights work in the case of publication? Do they revert to the author so they may republish their work with attribution? Do authors retain the right to rewrite their stories for republication elsewhere (for example, as a novel or as part of a novel or collection?)

Thanks!

I'd rather not go into the details of the terms of the contract, as these will be negotiated with the winners of the contest. But in general, contracts for this anthology have been of the "first world rights" type, meaning Paradox has the exclusive right to publish the story first, but you could sell it elsewhere for secondary publication after a specified period of time. This will all be a matter for negotiation with the winners after the contest is over, however. You risk nothing by submitting a story!

Is it OK if the story is really about the person who brings about the divergence and what caused him to do so, rather than the actual effects of the divergence?

Sure, that's fine. The most important thing is to make a good story!

Sorry, but it seems that the contest ends on the 31st January and then winners are announced by 28th February. See quote below from the original post. We can always hope there will be another round though!

Quite right. Only a little over 2 more weeks to go! :)

Regarding minors - that's a good question. If a story written by a minor is one of the winners, we will look into the legalities of that. :)

Is there any word yet what the exalted Mr. Turtledove is working on? Simply as a broad premise? I only ask as I am relatively certain that if someone submits a story with a similar premise to his own it will not be considered with any weight at all.

I don't want to reveal his story just yet, but I can say it takes place in Eastern Europe in the 18th century. :)

I think I know the answer here, but a war isn't mandatory in the story, is it? The way I'm writing my present story the war, if it happens at all, would be "off camera", so to speak.

Absolutely - the story does not have to be about war at all.

Just submitted mine.

May I ask, how many entries have you gotten? (please don't say more then hundred, oh please don't say more then a hundred)

Hi! We have gotten quite a number of good submissions, but no, it's not more than a hundred. :)

Is there an age limit? As I'm only 14 but love Paradox's games, I own CK2, Vicky 2 and EUIII - but EUIV is my favourite (been playing since release) and have been really enjoying writing the story so far (1,706 pages down - 3,294 to go) but I was wondering if I was able to submit my entry. Thanks.
By the way, I don't really mind if there's an age limit I'm just enjoying writing my own history.

Hello! No age limit, but if you are one of the winners and we need to write a contract for the anthology I assume your parents will have to be involved. :)
And - I hope you meant to write "1,706 words down - 3,294 to go", right? :)

I sent mine in on the 18th. I got a confirmation email the 20th so just give it a few days.

Anybody interested in telling the event they chose? Also for those that are not selected what will Paradox Books do with the stories? Destroy it, post them to be read on their site, nothing?

Hey everyone!

We're very happy to see all the submissions coming in. :)

You should all have received a confirmation email. If you haven't please email us again to make sure.

What we will do to the stories which do not make into the anthology has not been decided. Obviously your are free to publish them elsewhere. I also think we could make a special thread or section for them here on the forum?

If he replies to me and hasn't posted in here, I'll let y'all know as soon as I have anything.

Right now, I do not. What I do have is what I think is an awesome story that I'm growing more confident I'll have finished in time for the deadline. :cool:

Sorry for a slow reply. As long as we have your story by tomorrow morning CET, that's fine. So, as long as it's still Friday somewhere in the world, you're good. :)

I sent my story twice, but got no confirmation email. I am all nervous, because I really vested time and dedication into it. Hope they got it all the same and may it have a shot at it.

Sorry for a slow reply - there was a bit of a deluge of submissions in the dead of night CET, and Saturday was spent mostly AFK. But now you should all have received a confirmation email. If you haven't, write to us again (to books@paradoxplaza.com) to make sure.

So far, no submissions have been disqualified for being sent in late, so if you're nervous about having met the deadline - don't be!

The total number of submssions is - believe it or not - exactly 100. I think that's an awesome testament to the power and great creativity of the EU4 community. Great work everyone! :)