• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(424960)

First Lieutenant
2 Badges
Dec 18, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
I don't know if this was discussed before, anyway, there is any plan to add vehicles overtaking in the game? This would be useful in different aspects, for example on a large road, AI vehicles won't overtake buses/trams that are on a stop, causing an unrealistic traffic.
And on the same line, I can't mix different types of vehicles, because eventually the faster ones will be stopped behind the slower, this happens even with boats.
There is any chance that we'll see that done by a modder (don't think so, because I can imagine is a difficult thing to do without the proper tools on the code)?

Indeed a very useful feature.
I currently have a problem in high roads. I don't know how CiMs choose a lane on a high road but in mine they are all in the same lane. The slowest one on the right. So the slowest car set the speed for everybody.
For what I know the right lane should be used for those who wants to get out of the high way and for those who just got in and are getting speed. If all cars just use the right lane then cars that are getting in have to wait for longer time.

I do know CiMs use all lanes, but I don't know the criteria to choose. For some reason if they have same destination they all use same lane, even if the trip is long, which is the case.

Last edited:
I remember a post made by one of the devs when the game was comletely new (almost a year ago!).
The same problem was raised then, and the dev's answer was that this problem is too difficult to solve.

I remember a post made by one of the devs when the game was comletely new (almost a year ago!).
The same problem was raised then, and the dev's answer was that this problem is too difficult to solve.

They also said it's too difficult to solve on a lot of other issues. Funny how Transport Tycoon managed to solve it in 1994. I stopped buying their DLC till I see that they're actually improving the game. New content is hopeless if it's the same gameplay. No added value what-so-ever.

Funny, the TTD Argument I had in my mind when I first read this topic too

Here is my idea:
First non-player vehicle try to have a safety distance between itself and a player vehicle if the vehicle will use the stop (so the vehicle can switch to a different path and don't bounce into a bus / tram)
As soon as a non player vehicle should overtake, it will try to reverse the path around the bus (same concept as it does on road junctions). As soon as the bus will go to the next stop, a non-player vehicle won't be allowed more to overtake.

A different idea, give us a bit logic in GSystem.dll so we can deny cims to use a path. Something like GRID_DENY_INDIVIDUAL_TRAFFIC. The community will surely find some nice ways to use it :)