• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heh, I started reading the first update just to realize that I have already read it :). I forgot it, but now I shall subscribe. Looks very promising.

Fantastic stuff so far, the premise of the AAR is very good, and I no longer know whether to be glad or a bit disappointed whenever If You Can't Do It, Nubia Can! gets updated ;)

Fantastic stuff so far, the premise of the AAR is very good, and I no longer know whether to be glad or a bit disappointed whenever If You Can't Do It, Nubia Can! gets updated ;)

Thanks. Hopefully this one will update a bit more often in the future.

Of Loyalty and Glory
The Descendents of Charlemagne

blasonvermandois2.jpg
francia2g.jpg
blasonvermandois2.jpg

Chapter IV:
Aimery, 3rd Duke of Francia: 1118-24

Aimery de Vermandois, like his father, came to power in a time of strife. Destined to be one of Francia’s lesser dukes, Aimery barely gets a passing mention in most histories. While he could not match the achievements of his more illustrious family members, in his short life he was an able commander and loyal vassal. In that he was truly a member of his family.

lg41.jpg

Aimery de Vermandois

Born in Vexin Castle in 1096, Aimery received training at arms, and though his heart was in it, he never acquired the in-depth skills of a great general. While the young man was polite towards his father’s successive wives he was never close to them or his half brothers, who were born when he was fourteen and fifteen. Aimery was married to Irmgard Billung in 1111, but she died three years later without bearing any children. Louis arranged a second marriage for his son, this time to Marthe de Anjou. Though no one realized it at the time, this was one of the most important actions of Louis’ rule. The newlyweds moved to the place of Aimery’s birth when he was made Count of Vexin.

Aimery was not the only new ruler to come to power in 1118. King Pierre I died a few weeks after Louis de Vermandois, leaving his three year old son Hamelin on the throne of France. Aimery was the first to pledge fealty to his young cousin, and proved it by mobilizing his forces to fight in French Scandinavia, where war had recently broken out with the Muslims.

The young duke would spend the first five years of his reign far from home serving the king. While he was away his wife, like those before her administered day to day affairs in the Duchy. At first she was able to visit Aimery, and it was during these visits that their numerous children were conceived. However as the years of war lengthened she found it harder to take time away from the running the duchy.

In 1123 Aimery was able to return home. He soon left again. While he loved spending time with his family, for the first time he was able to advance his own fortunes, instead of his kings. He wanted to expand his holdings as his father and grandfather had done. An unintended offence by the Duke of Savoie provided the excuse for war.

lg42.jpg

France 1124, Aimery’s conquest in red.

While assaulting the Duke’s fortress, Aimery was knocked from the battlements. Though the battle was won the Duke lay on the ground, his body broken. Aimery had gained Neuchatel for Francia, but at a terrible price. As the weeks passed it became clear he would never walk again. He only had use of one arm. The twenty-six year old became increasingly depressed until one night early in 1124 he used his good arm to open a vein and bled to death.
Aimery stands as an example of potential cut short. While he lived up to his heritage as a loyal vassal, he was unable to bring his personal plans into action. Furthermore, he left Francia in a precarious position that it would spend decades recovering from.

Good update. I like how you use pictures from movies to make characters alive. It helps to imagine what did they looked like, since this is an history AAR you can't tell us.

Shame that Aimerys reign was so short. He looked promising.

Subscribes. Nice to have another form of AAR than your Nubia one, though thats also good.

Good update. I like how you use pictures from movies to make characters alive. It helps to imagine what did they looked like, since this is an history AAR you can't tell us.

Shame that Aimerys reign was so short. He looked promising.

Thanks, I got the idea from Rome AARisen. I try to find a picture that actually looks like the in-game portrait, which can be frustrating when I know of a movie character who would be perfect but can't find a good image.

Heir be whom?
Some brother?

No, Aimery had six children, three boys and three girls. His five year old son inherited his titles.

Subscribes. Nice to have another form of AAR than your Nubia one, though thats also good.

I agree. I think it's nice to branch out a little. Plus, even at three updates a week I don't end up playing my Nubia game often (not since late November early December) and the Crusader King urge doesn't always wait. As silly as it may sound, I find writing an AAR gives more purpose to my playing computer games.

Nice bird!

Indeed, I quite like that picture.

so it's regency time; are there any special regency events in CK?
will the regent be so devoutly loyal to the Crown of France?

I've never got any message about a regency. I've just got a message telling me that the ruler is a kid now.

Is it some kind of thing used in AARs?

Of Loyalty and Glory
The Descendents of Charlemagne

blasonvermandois2.jpg
francia2g.jpg
blasonvermandois2.jpg

Chapter V:
Charles, 4th Duke of Francia: 1124-29

Charles de Vermandois was only five when his father committed suicide and the young boy became one of the most powerful dukes in France. Obviously he was too young to take an active hand in ruling, and during his brief reign Francia was most often a passive observer to events in the wider world.

lg51.jpg

The only known portrait of Charles de Vermandois

Charles’ rule was marked with a heavy amount of crusading activity in Europe. In the early days of Eudes’ rule the Spanish Christians had made progress in their struggle with their Muslim neighbors, but the tide had turned before Eudes died. By the end of Louis’ life the Christians of had been crushed and either lived under Muslim rule or had fled to other parts of the continent.

The success of the crusade to Jerusalem inspired the Pope to use the same method to reverse the situation in Iberia. A crusade to Burgos was preached in 1122. However, the nobles of Europe were not as interested in risking their lives for the former capital off Castile as they were a generation earlier when the Holy City itself was the target. After four years no powerful lord had sent an army into Spain. Plus, by 1126 the strategic situation had drastically shifted. Jerusalem had again fallen to Muslims, and the Pope was quick to stop the Burgos failure and launch a new crusade to the Holy City.

The Pope’s action proved that the nobles of Europe were more than willing to take the cross for a target they valued. So enthusiastic was the response that Jerusalem was liberated the same year and the Crusade declared a success. A year later, with the situation in Palestine stable, the Pope again tried to stir action to help Spain by reinstating the crusade to Burgos.

Francia did not join in the religious wars of the time. In fact the only war during Charles’ rule was a conflict with the kingdom of Burgundy. Due to inheritance by the Duke of Poitou and the independence of Provence, the Burgundian province of Gevaudan was isolated on the French boarder. Seeking to extend French influence Charles’ advisors decided to invade in 1128. Beset with problems in his Italian lands the King of Burgundy was quick to make peace when he heard the province was in French hands.

lg52.jpg

Conquest of Charles

The young duke’s victory was short lived. Around Christmas Charles became ill and after months of decline passed away in the spring of 1129. He was ten years old.

"The only known portrait of Charles de Vermandois"

Cameras in the 12th century? :)

Jerusalem reconquered in a year after it had fallen to muslims? Pretty quick action behalf christendom.

"The only known portrait of Charles de Vermandois"

Cameras in the 12th century? :)

Jerusalem reconquered in a year after it had fallen to muslims? Pretty quick action behalf christendom.

French artists could make amazingly lifelike paintings back then couldn't they?

Too bad. He seemed friendly.

I just noticed, Aimery looks like danish actor Mads Mikkelsen!