• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It should, in principle, be possible to mod the UI such that the pause button is not present. Do that, remap the keyboard shortcut to something that doesn't exist on your keyboard, and it should be impossible to pause.

[It frankly strikes me as a bit silly, since nearly all the decisions you'll make playing the game would in reality be made over the course of days or months, but you're obviously free to play the game the way you like.]

• 3Like
Reactions:
This might be the most pointless thread on the forums, and God, there are pointless threads on the forums. Mod it in yourself, or just use self restraint. No one except for you apparently cares enough about this, unlike ironman or whatever analogy you use.

Reactions:
This might be the most pointless thread on the forums, and God, there are pointless threads on the forums. Mod it in yourself, or just use self restraint. No one except for you apparently cares enough about this, unlike ironman or whatever analogy you use.
“Mod it in yourself” this sentence applies to almost all of the suggestion threads in forum and there is a difference between trying it with self control and having it as a feature.
Also, This suggestion got 6 likes which indicates Not everyone except me thinks it is pointless ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This reminds me of that post when Stellaris was in development asking devs to add an "alien sound system" to the game.

• 7Haha
Reactions:
Sire, we have to decide on this offer of a royal marriage with Great-Britain, our long time ally which sees us in a more negative way since we conquered Normandy. If we refuse, they may break the alliance and we would be alone against our ennemies.
One minute, peasants are disappointed with some rule the baillif introduced. I could lose 10 stability or...
- 10 days later -
Sire, the royal marriage is going to expire!
...Oh, but if I select this option, serfdom will increase by 0,10, which may postpone the new law I wanted to introduce...
- 10 days later -
Sire! Great Britain broke their alliance with us.
S*it, I must find a new ally! Looks like Castille might be...
- 10 days later -
France just declared war, citing their desire to retake Normandy. Castille refused or offer of alliance since we are at war.

No thank you. The pause key is an integral part of those games and the reason I turned to them instead of other games I played previously.

Reactions:
Sire, we have to decide on this offer of a royal marriage with Great-Britain, our long time ally which sees us in a more negative way since we conquered Normandy. If we refuse, they may break the alliance and we would be alone against our ennemies.
One minute, peasants are disappointed with some rule the baillif introduced. I could lose 10 stability or...
- 10 days later -
...Oh, but if I select this option, serfdom will increase by 0,10, which may postpone the new law I wanted to introduce...
- 10 days later -
- 10 days later -
France just declared war, citing their desire to retake Normandy. Castille refused or offer of alliance since we are at war.

No thank you. The pause key is an integral part of those games and the reason I turned to them instead of other games I played previously.
Its like trying to play stellaris multiplayer after the paragons update.

Reactions:
So I think you are on to something here. Playing speed 2-3 with (almost) no pause has made my games much more interesting. Not hitting space bar did take some (a lot of) effort at first. Speed 3 can still be a little overwhelming at first. Hopefully eu5 will allow us to change hotkeys.

I don't believe that iron man exists for achievements, achievements exist to nudge people towards iron man. The fact that they never fixed the loophole of people purposefully crashing their game doesn't mean anything. People have ingrained cheating into their play style and the devs have wisely decided that it's simply not worth it to try and fix it.

I think a no pause rule for iron man would be great (no way they are gonna implement it though, seeing how controversial it is).

In the real world any political and military decision is made with some form of time pressure. This is one of the reasons historical figures make mistakes in our eyes. Not being able to pause models this. It allows the player to make mistakes which creates the most interesting game states for the player. As an added bonus, since it removes min-maxing, it slows down player growth.

Reactions:
- 10 days later -
- 10 days later -
- 10 days later -

I absolutely love this situation :D
This was what I was talking about, next time (after losing this catastrophic war), you should be more prepared in case of one of your allies broke the alliance ;) (since making alliances might take months)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I absolutely love this situation :D
This was what I was talking about, next time (after losing this catastrophic war), you should be more prepared in case of one of your allies broke the alliance ;) (since making alliances might take months)
Good for you if you like that, but I was trying to portray the absurdity of the situation, as in reality the king would have plenty of time to discuss both situations, since there are 24 hours in a day, and a day isn‘t over in (at modt) 2.5 seconds.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good for you if you like that, but I was trying to portray the absurdity of the situation, as in reality the king would have plenty of time to discuss both situations, since there are 24 hours in a day, and a day isn‘t over in (at modt) 2.5 seconds.
It is not absurd, kings dont do one click to make it happen, they could have a lot of pressure, stress during some wars or even when trying to implement something. Ottoman Sultan Murad II abdicated because of there was a constant stuff going on and he was tired of that. ( he had to return anyways)
Or Charles 5 for example, he divided Austria and Spanish monarchies because he was tired of managing both, which means that 24 hours wasnt enough for him.

• 1Like
Reactions: