• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
January 1068-November 1068. Marriages and consolidation (Or, When you're in luck, don't leave the table).

January 5th. My wife-to-be is finally of age. I had the Borg send my spontaneous, sincere, heart-felt marriage proposal a couple of weeks in advance, to be sure we're first in line. She's also done a great job writing it in the first place.

7-1-family.png

You think I'm after her money, do you. Well, what would you do? I'm running a hemmed-in kingdom with a single province to call my own. Her dad has four provinces and runs three times as many vassals as I do. Naturally I'm interested. It's not the money. It's the safety.

January 23rd. Isn't it wonderful? The Duke's accepted! I receive the bride and pocket the (scanty) 45 coins of marriage duty.

7-2-welcome.png

Now I only need to beat the Mallorcans off, beget her a son, raise him, and wait for the old bugger to drop dead. Easy as pie. That should get Navarra off the hook of the Jimenez Stakes for good.

Well, I ask you. It's a good plan, isn't it?

By the way, here's a pic of her. Isn't she cute? And that's good, too, because The Borg is definitely Off. She's even pregnant. Makes one wonder about the Royal Prerogative.

7-3-cute.png

February 19th. The Mallorcans arrived in Navarra, and they reached the capital. The day will be remembered for centuries, I believe.

The garrison had been called to arms and equipped, and I had returned with my personal guards (plus the three men-at-arms that Agnes had brought with her). We were expecting the invasion, but we were still quite few. So when the moorish troops appeared before the city on the previous day, it was hard to keep the optimism going.

The suspense didn't last long. The moorish general launched an assault against the West gates just before the break of day. The garrison was piling in and hardly keeping up the fight when the moors pulled a second, unexpected attack on the South ramparts. The reserve soldiers couldn't arrive in time, and the moors got into the city streets. But the populace took their own measures. They gathered every cow and bull in the city (it being market day, there were a few) and turned them loose at the moors.

Narrow streets, barricaded doors, a stream of horned beasts bearing down on them. It worked.

7-x-sanfermin.jpg

You never saw such running. And quite scenic it was too, with their white moorish robes. Tripping over each other, and falling, and being trampled, and all. White and red. Very scenic indeed. I was watching from the Palace balconies and enjoyed it so hugely that I had to go down and run after the bulls to see how it ended. The moors thought I was driving the bulls in person, apparently, and it's done a lot for my prestige.

7-4-hero.png

What a thrill. And afterwards there was just the most stupendous spontaneous festival you can imagine. People just kept partying for days and nobody asked me to pay anything.

We should do it oftener. But then, how do you convince foreigners to come visiting and be run over by bulls? I'll turn the idea over to The Borg and see what she comes up with. She's good at "cultural things".

February 25th. I marry another cousin off to one of the senior officers of my new vassal. I really need to make this work. Don't worry, she's Mayor, not one of the Urracas. I ran out of them a while ago. I think.

7-5-marry.png

March 27th. Agnes has told me she's pregnant! Must have been that crazy bull-running day and the celebrations... or maybe she's starting to appreciate me. I mean, I know I'm a dear with a manly, magnetic character and a great Royal Prerogative, but until now nobody seemed to have told her.

7-6-expecting.png

And that's helping her make friends in the court, too. Although she's started with one of our resident frenchies, she soon picks it up with other expatriates. All in all, she's becoming a brighter presence in the court.

7-7-girls.png

May 3rd. The bull-runners must have arrived at Mallorca, because the emir just accepted my peace proposal. No mention of sending us back the bulls, though.

7-8-peace.png

May 11th. Now I'm sure these foreigners are crazy. The Emir just went and asked me to become allies. Well, why not?

7-9-allies.png

What could go wrong? For me, I mean. And besides, it's sad to say... but they're the first offer that I get.

May 28th. I'm so happy with this new-found sense of security and fruitful manhood that I send vassalization offers to every duke in sight.

Everyone refuses.

Pricks.

To vent it off, I take advantage of the fact that my new Muslim vassals have finally disbanded their armies to raise them again... and blast poor Albarracín, which just happens to be sitting in the middle of my lands. My brand-new ally does not offer to help.

7-10-albarrawar.png

June 14th. No rest for the war-weary. I get an offer for a substitute regiment of mercenaries (the last one was pretty well scrubbed off) and a proposal to erradicate my poor bastard. I tell my dear spymistress to leave junior alone. Or at least, to wait until we have a replacement.

7-11-claymores.png

July 1st. The Borg is showing stress symptoms. Must be the lack of my assiduous attentions, now lavished on dear Agnes, the Bearer of Hope for Navarra.

7-12-stress.png

July 6th. Albarracín's army is beaten: we kill some 600 out of their 700 soldiers. Soon my armies will swarm upon its walls and make it join the happy kingdom of Navarra, allowing me to visit the seashore without the hassle of crossing borders.

7-13-massacre.png

November 9th. Yes, November. Five months. Five frigging months. Less than one hundred soldiers held us out for five months. I ask you, what kind of weak-kneed, jelly-spined, yellow-streaked cowardly infidels are these Albarracinans? Or conversely, what kind of brave, world-beating, Jimenez-cousin-bashing army am I building?

7-14-albarrawon.png

It's not an irrelevant question. I embrace the Emir of Albarracin and give him back his sword (while keeping the keys to the city keep, of course: however it started, a new vassal is a new vassal). The seven remaining soldiers in his regiment look as proud as if they'd conquered us, and with reason. I think they could.

It preys on my mind for days. I can't rest easy if my army is as soft as it's looking. If those Castilian armies come calling... or, say, the Emirate of Toledo were to bang at the door... I pace the Palace gardens, debating with myself and kicking at stray stones.

"The Emirate is at war with another neighbour right now", says Laura, my spymistress, interrupting my meditation and guessing at what's eating me. It's probably due to my habit of thinking aloud, but then it could be mind-reading. She's that sharp. "They won't be banging the door anytime soon".

Can't show that I'm surprised, so I take her interruption in my stride. "Yeah, but imagine they lose. The moors consolidate, and then we're really screwed up", I say.

"There's only one way out of that", says García the marshall, popping out from behind a rose bush. "Preemptive strike".

"Preventative what?"

Granny hobbles out from behind a garden statue. "Preemptive strike, dumbbell. It's like when you kick the opponent in the nadgers before the referee says go, and suddenly you've won the tournament."

I wince. But it's sound advice... or not? I mean, what could possibly go wrong if I attack the largest muslim state in the rear with a frazzled, mixed, war-weary army? I do have the Albarracinans on my side, don't I?

Last edited:
Who rules in this kingdom? It seems women pull all the strings (while knitting) and the granny is the puppet mistress. :) Enjoyable read, full of loony allusions.

The bastard child story made me realise in CK it takes a day to pop out a bastard while a poor medieval lady has to go through the whole nine-month thing to give birth to a legitimate child, and risks dying in the process. :confused:;)

Agnes, ah, the old, tried trick. I remember her from my CK vanilla games and she had a tendency to give birth to very few children, mostly girls. Also, her father might yet remarry... so much for 'what could possibly go wrong' question. ;)

Once in my games I married Agnes a Sunday and by next Tuesday she had a charming lil' bro. Imagine how happy I was.

Time to vassalize Catalonia, I'd guess.

@ Doctor Z, I will :).

@ gabor, glad you like it :). About who rules... that's something to bet upon :D. Or, we could say it's the "not yet quite dead hand of History".

@ Kurt, about Catalonia, Sancho's really, really trying to woo it. But he's a penny-pincher, has a very small army nowadays, and has a weird haircut, so the Catalan duke is uninpressed with him.

About Agnes, knowing the way Sancho's plans work, I'd say any of those endings may fit :), and some other unexpected ones too. But I think there's a dark side to Sancho's schemes. Why did he go out of his way to get a 17-point spymaster, and hangs on to his cash?

I'm having to split the next chapter in two, since they were a bit too long for the forum's picture restrictions... but at least one should be up today.

So what do you think? Anybody ready to bet on what will happen if Sancho attacks the Toledoans?

Last edited:
November 1068 - February 1071. Preemptive all the way (or, please don't notice I'm attacking you)

Oh, hello again. Sorry about the mess. I've been kind of busy all over the place and nobody cleans around here. You see, I followed García's counsel. In December I declared war on the sheikdom of Castellón, hoping that the emirate would be too busy to react...

8-1-castelloning.png

... but their allies at sheikdom of Valencia and their liege at Toledo took it badly and declared war on me. The Mallorcans surprised everyone by deciding to help me and jumping into the fray. After that things went quite fast...

8-2-castelloned.png

By the new year 1069, my troops were kicking holes in their backside armor and we were getting brave new recruits to boot. By the end of March, the siege of Castellón was over. Mid-April saw our gathered armies beating the Toledoans in Valencia.

8-3-valencia.png

8-4-valencied.png

By the end of September 1069 we were holding Valencia, and most enemy armies were busy besieging our dear ally, Mallorca. The old emir did come in handy after all. In December, having brough the Valencians into our happy family (I kept the province of Valencia itself so now I have two, just like my cousins of León and Castilla), we drafted in every new regiment, squashed Cuenca and marched on Toledo. Yes, we actually marched on Toledo! The old capital of the Visigoth kingdom of Hispania, kept in saracen hands since 711 or some such. And guess what happened?

8-5-toleding.png

Yes, we turned back and went for the other province the Emir's domain. Our allies were besieging Toledo ahead of us and they would have got the province with our help. So we didn't help, and instead went bagging the other provinces on our own during most of 1070.

And while we were at it, Agnes gave birth to a jolly little heir to the throne named Luis (Yes. Luis. That's where you see her French tastes). After which she got religion heavily.

8-6-luis.png

8-7-religion.png

I had a bad spate with the old Duke of Aquitaine (my in-law) because of that. I mean, a bit of it is all right, but a lot can spoil any relationship. Anyhow, we managed to patch it up. I don't want him to cut my heir off, do I now? Because he is now the heir of Aquitaine's millions.

8-8-suegro.png

8-9-heir.png

And, as the saying goes, the best part of quarreling is making up. With Agnes, I mean. She becomes pregnant again almost on the spot.

8-10-makeup.png

I even got all convivial with my spymistress and commended her for all her sharp insights and suggestions. She eyed me warily and said thanks before scampering off.

8-11-laura.png

The citizens of Navarra were also overjoyed, and showed it by settling some new land and paying nicer taxes. I correspond by lowering the scutage for my brand-new vassals.

8-12-prosperous.png

8-15-scutage.png

But the end had to come some time. So, after my allies lost their siege, I launched my armies onto Toledo (I did try being nice and asking, first, but the Emir wouldn't listen). Since the Toledo armies were away and busy beating my ally to a pulp, the assault and siege didn't take long.

In February 1071, Toledo falls (and I get a second son, called Pons... a nice Catalan name. I mean, what is wrong with Sancho, or García, or... or...?).

8-13-pons.png

The flip side? The Catalans have joined France. I was really hoping to get myself a nice holiday place on the Costa Brava some day...

8-14-catalans.png

8-16-ruins.jpg

Anyhow. The treaty-signing ceremony is not much too look at, what with the Alcázar of Toledo being half burnt from the siege, but I'm so weary I just make them scrub it clean. I gather the province (one's got to build up one's domain) and sign the Emir on as a vassal. And I was about to climb onto my white charger and gallop back to Navarra when up comes my newest vassal and taps me on the shoulder.

"Yes?", says I, politely.

What could be the matter? Everything's settled, every bill paid, we've won. Right?

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised :D. She put him up to it in the first place, didn't she?

As a matter of fact he is in the red after this campaign. But I'm sure he never thought he could have to renounce his regiments in the middle of the war for lack of money.

Next update in a moment if I can cook the images... we have a bit of Navarran anxiety to catch up with yet :).

1071. Settling claims (or, don't step on my brand new vassal)

A while later, sitting before a couple of cups of dark coffee in the remains of his old throne room, he explained. It seems he would like me to go to war, again.

You may remember that when my useful Mallorcan ally and yours truly jumped on the emirate of Toledo, they were actually busy at war against their Badajoz neighbours. A matter of unsettled claims, or maybe unsettling clams (it's always a bad idea to try the seafood when you're this far from the sea), or something I don't quite get.

In short, my shy new vassal told me that now they're left with two provinces and a standing war (besides Mallorca, which is still trying to gnaw their foot off), and Badajoz is preparing to eat them for lunch. Would I kindly step in and have a word with the bearded enemy?

Well, I tried to. I really tried. You see, I'd been trying to make friends and influence potential vassals, but nobody seems interested... so I decided I'd better look after the ones I have.

So I sent a nice letter to the Emir of Badajoz, politely asking him to leave off my vassals. He returned it spiked to the head of my messenger. That spoilt the mood for everyone, of course. I mean, you know, it's hardly good table manners.

9-1-caceres.png

I was sadly forced to lead my disparate collection of armies agains the new enemy. We met in Cáceres in late March, and beat them off the field. Actually, it was our new heavy infantry contingent that did the job; neither our archers nor the remains of our cavalry could turn the battle, but the mass of armour-clad, shielded, and bearded moorish infantry that now makes up the bulk of my army just washed them off the battlefield. Which was nice, you know, as my army was rather slim for the job, and we only pulled it off because the enemy was in even worse shape.

9-3-victory.png

I was so optimistic after that that I decided to raise Luis, my first-born, myself. Granny could be heard cackling for days afterwards, and her travelling circus of crones are enjoying it as a nice joke. Apparently she doesn't think much of raising "little cannibals" that close to one's chest. I'm not going to tell her what I think of having them raised by stinking rural nobles, as dad did with me. That said, I plan on a serious increase in domestic staff. I don't want Agnes to bite my head off, either.

9-2-luis.png

Ahem. Excuse me. As I was saying, I spent April beating off the different Emirate armies and perfecting the "swamp-the-enemy-with-heavy-infantry" tactics until enemy casualties reached spectacular numbers. They learned, and eventually we were able to set camp and siege Cáceres. It fell in May 1071. Seeing that it was the Emirate's capital and its only domain province (and wishing to return to Pamplona for the summer to take charge of the boy's education), I sent an envoy to the Emir with an peace-for-vassalage proposal. He gets to keep his vassals, I get him as mine.

9-4-liberation.png

He returned it spiked to the head of the messenger. Accepting. Go figure.

9-5-peace.png

So now the situation is looking better, isn't it? I mean, Navarra has grown to a size that can probably survive my dear Jimenez cousins, can't it? I've earned some holidays. And a new realm map, which I commission to The Borg and her household artists.

On the way back to Navarra, I receive the new map and can't help the impulse to call Granny into my tent to see it. She hobbles in, smiles crookedly at my gushing triumphalism, lifts the tent's flap, and there is my spymistress caught in mid-snooping.

9-6-looksouth.png

She recovers fast. "You called, Sire?", inquires Laura, looking demurely at the floor as if she'd never stabbed anybody in her life. Not that there is proof to the contrary.

"I might as well! Granny here... I mean, the Dowager Queen Doña Muña Mayor does not quite agree with me that our security problems are over."

"Our security...? I'm not sure I understand, Sire."

"Hmmph! Neither do I."

"I think I do", says García, opening a creaky campaign cupboard and stepping out, "if I read things right. See, Sire, we've come from the North all across the peninsula to the Atlantic. We're the largest Jimenez kingdom by size. But our armies are decimated, the population is war-weary, the royal chancery is mortgaged to the last tower..."

"... and the Queen is sending me messages to return to Navarra."

"... doubtless, Sire, but please look at this. Up to now, our goal was to become too big to be swallowed by a Christian rival. We have done that, thanks to your wise leadership and gift for the unexpected..."

"... and a spadeful of luck or two!"

"... which show you have the help of the Almighty, Sire. But if you turn your eyes to the south of the map..."

"What? Oh. I see. All that white space."

"Yes, sire. The white of Sevilla. The largest and most powerful Muslim kingdoms have been gobbled up by the Emirate of Sevilla.They have a demesne of five provinces, three heavily fortified, and also some serious firepower among their vassals. There's more castles there than in the rest of the peninsula".

"And you think they'd be trouble?"

Granny shrieks a laugh and points her nose at me, which is unnerving. "Trouble? Dumbwit, Sevilla's three times as strong as us, they've been growing by conquest for five years, and they're muslims. Born enemies. You're not catching them sleeping or looking the other way like the last ones. What do you think is going to happen when they look north and see the state of our armies?"

Oops. Laura quotes the latest intelligence numbers and I see what Granny means: they have three times our soldiers. We've managed to wrap the kingdom around this Emirate of Sevilla, and we're so vulnerable I could cry.

"What can we do?", I breathe, feeling the cold fingers of dread grabbing my throat.

"Preemptive strike?", says García, leaning forward and half unsheating his sword.

"At three-to-one odds? No way", I say. "We need to rest, rebuild our armies, end the squabble with Mallorca, and..."

"Ha! You need to pray, junior", says Granny, throwing open the tent flap with stick and flouncing out. I hear her muttering something about pushing luck too far and looking up the price of palaces in Burgos, Castille.

I look at my counsellors. One is so confident he'd rush the moors now with just a dozen of Albarracinans. The other is so timid that she's hardly spoken a word, and suggests nothing.

So I close the meeting and send for the bishop. Maybe Granny has a point.

Last edited:
Amazing expansion speed!

You're now like the protective bubble-wrap between the Christian Iberia and rest of the world :p

And to think Aquitaine is on the way...

@ Rivus,

Amazing expansion speed!

Sancho is at least as amazed. Remember, he doesn't want land itself, he wants safety. Anything that looks stronger than him makes him nervous.

He would say it was only in self-defence, too. He never intended to reach the Atlantic, just to grab a few provinces off Toledo, to become too big to swallow.

You're now like the protective bubble-wrap between the Christian Iberia and rest of the world

you just say that to make Sancho nervous :D.

@ Doctor Z, I think he doesn't much care about conversions. Yet.

At the moment, Sancho's reached 20 provinces but lost the chance to vassalize Catalonia. He's indebted, with few province improvements, a tiny army, and surrounded by strong kingdoms who make him sweat (and muslim vassals he doesn't quite trust). Granny is still hedging her bets between the four Jimenez cousins (after all, Sancho could die early... and only two babies stand between his throne and his cousins).

Maybe I should tell you the story of Sancho's father. He was the eldest son of Sancho the Great, and originally suzerain of his brothers in Aragón and Castilla... but first the one and then the other broke away, and he died in battle against Castilla. His son Sancho was proclaimed king on the battlefield when he was but a boy, and often dreams he's pushed off a cliff during a hunting party by conspirators instigated by the kings of Castilla and Aragón to partition Navarra.

So, our Sancho does not feel very safe with any neighbour.

Next update coming up... the draft was too long, again.

Last edited:
May 1071-September 1072. Faith moves mountains (or, what happens when you pray, scheme, and fail)

Well, what do you know. She did have a point. It worked!

If you remember my last letter, by the end of May'71 I had conquered the peninsula to the Atlantic, but we were bracing for an impossible war with an experienced, rich, and mean muslim neighbour. We couldn't win. So I prayed. And do you guess what happened?

Here's my notes from those months. They were so hectic I've lost a few, but the highlights should be enough.

10-1-galicia.png

In mid June, the duke of Porto asks to join the kingdom. July 6th, the duke of Galicia joins his Porto ally and becomes a vassal (the last news came just in time to interrupt me when I was closeted with Laura the spymistress, studying measures againts one Amr of Cuenca who has become my first disloyal vassal. We dropped the issue and she scampered from the closet).

But to return to the results of prayer. Two dukedoms, six provinces full of untarnished, undented, brand-new soldiers.

You're wondering how long it took to declare war on Sevilla?

10-2-portowar.png

Well, so am I, since I've lost the receipt of the declaration. But it was before July 17th. Only I didn't declare it on Sevilla, I declared it on each and every one of their vassals.

The reason? Well, I figured that even if we didn't win, we could debilitate the kingdom by stealing one or two vassals. A kind of "divide and win" strategy.

Did it work? Well... no.

In fact, it turned out quite well, but not for the reasons I'd planned. The separate declarations turned the war into chaos, and the crazy emir of Badajoz went one better by declaring war on Sevilla on his own before I could draft his troops.

10-5-setup.png

So what happened is this. I divided our army in two bodies, one bigger than the other. I sent the Portuguese duchy troops agains the Sevillan vassals along the coast, to Niebla (the biggest of them). The emir of Badajoz just rampaged around, which was nice, since Sevilla went for his neck from the start. García persuaded me to not bother about that and go for the jugular of the Emirate at Córdoba with the Galicians and everything else I had. My Mallorcan allies had a field day kicking my Toledo vassal around. So for a while everyone was fighting his own war all over the place.

10-4-niebla.png

The Portuguese invaded Niebla, and there fought several battles with each of the vassals, as they tried to journey east to join the main combat. October 7th marked one of the largest.

10-7-faroism.png

The vassals offered peace several times, but by that time we saw the advantages of keeping their armies fragmented.

10-6-confusion.png

The Portuguese were thoroughly bled, they didn't manage to conquer any vassals, and they were eventually beaten out or Niebla, but for each of them that fell they managed to kill at least three enemies. And they won me a lot of time.

The Sevillans invaded Badajoz province head on, probably trying to do as I had done (conquer the domain and vassalize the emir). They won the siege, but it didn't work: the old emir is evidently crazy but not stupid. After the Sevillans had smashed his armies, he ceded the province to some vassal, avoided the trap, and battled on. The vassal was swallowed by Sevilla (and they also gathered in Cáceres), but meanwhile this siege (and the Badajoz attempts to break it) had kept their armies busy...

10-8-granada.png

... and I'd gathered the Galicians and my mixed bag of troops, and managed to conquer several Sevillan provinces, including their vassal Aracena. The first battle ended in October 23st and was fought by a smaller, Muslim-led army of Navarra against a larger Sevillan force. The fall of Cordoba was in January 9th 1972. By June 17th we held Granada, were besieging Cádiz, and had already turned back onto the main Sevilla armies (the ones sent to Badajoz and Toledo). The new Cáceres sheikdom was already crying out for peace (and was vassalized soon after). In July 22nd we had taken Badajoz back from them. In August 26th I overran the Malaga sheikdom and they became my vassals. The Navarra armies were victorious and new heroes joined our banners. You know how heroes are when you're winning.

10-10-caceres.png

10-9-badajoz.png

10-11-malaga.png

10-12-hero.png

What about my Mallorcan allies, you ask? Not a great help. They were still running after my Toledo vassals! In fact about this time they had managed to wrest Calatrava from them. I filed that under "needs correction before Granny finds out" and kept bashing Sevillans.

Looking at those maps you may think it was easy, but in fact the Sevillan armies were breaking my sieges time and again and bothering my new Toledo province, not to mention making life difficult for my valiant Portuguese division. So (contrary to form) I decided to leave the table while I was winning.

I extorted some money in exchange for peace from the diverse Sevillan vassals and struck a nice treaty with their Emir. On September 12th 1972 we signed the peace. It was a great event, hardly spoiled by the number of attendants lacking limbs or wearing bandages. To show that life goes on, though, half my cabinet was pregnant at the time (by the bye, I think I hadn't showed you any portrait of The Borg yet).

10-14-court.png

10-wounded.jpg

I kept Badajoz, Córdoba and Granada for my domain, of course. They're such big, rich provinces that I couldn't help it. Besides, that makes a five-province domain, which is more than twice what my cousins have... and it makes my kindom 29-province strong.

10-13-peace.png

So I picked up camp and started the trek back to Agnes and my family after more than a year of war. I was looking forward to peace, especially from granny's pestering, and to the love and admiration of the clan. Of course I was also looking forward to rebuilding the public finances, setting down to governing, and all that, but domesticity was what I longed for.

Yes, yes, you see it coming, don't you? Well, you don't.

Last edited:
Impressive conquests, but I fear that your wife is going to give you hell...

@ Kurt, Agnes is a nice soul :), a "martial nun" who can't help being happy when her husband is 1. away, and 2. bashing moors :D. It's the kids that worry her.

But yes, there is marital trouble brewing nearby... and it'll have major consequences for somebody.

Last edited:
September 1072-December 1073. From the pan into the fire (or, the price of avoiding the family)

It was Urraca. The older of them. You may remember I had managed to get them married and off my hair some years ago. Well, one of them has decamped into the royal palace and is raising a stink with her personal problems. And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's one of them crying and screaming. It brings back memories (shudder).

10-15-urraca.png

I had not even reached Navarra when I started getting messages from her about his husband (apparently not ready to stay chaste until her pregnancy was over) and the kinds of death she wanted for him, and how if I was a real man I would stand up for her honor and have the wayward husband chewed by dogs. I wrote back telling her to go pay him with the same coin and leave me alone.

I don't know what she did then, but it must have been notable. There were all sort of messages from everyone asking me to intervene in the matter (or just to shut her up). Every league we traveled, we got a new message. The more I read, the more it looked like it was more peaceful in the battlefield.

I turned to García, who rode beside me:

"Marshall, don't you think that we have some unfinished business back in Andalusia?"

"Sire?"

"Think about it. The Sevillans are beaten, but they almost got at us in the end. They must be scheming against us right now."

"Indeed, Sire." You can always count on García to warm up and think the worst. "I can almost hear them sharpening those bent swords of them and..."

"I'm thinking we should do something about that before they're ready."

"Preemptive strike, Sire? But we just signed a..."

"What a great idea! Call the generals, we're breaking the truce."

And we did. I turned my horse back toward the sea and didn't stop for a few months. Nothing like the bracing air of the battleground and the peace of the front line.

Why, yes, it was treason and backstabbing, and possibly a misdemeanor. I guess somebody somewhere thought less highly of my pristine character, but you can't avoid the Magpies without breaking eggs.

By November 7th 1072, I was leading the new invasion on five fronts (Sevilla, Niebla and Molina being the most serious). And let me tell you it was no walk in the park.

10-15b-hard.png

In November 28th, García was beaten back and we were almost broken. But after that, it was just hard work.

10-16-defeat.png

In February 1073, my counsellors told me that the Catalan duke had renounced his French liege. I sent him an invitation, without success. Still no place on the Costa Brava.

10-17-catalan.png

By mid-March we were happily besieging Cádiz and pruning Sevillan vassals one by one, when Granny sent me a message asking if I knew that my ever-so-dumb vassal, the Emirate of Toledo, was at war with my cousin Jimenez in Aragón, and actually trying to besiege them with a bunch of soldiers. She also asked me what did I intend to do about it (or, to use her words, "when are you going to start taking care of this, you lazy unprintable obscenity?" Ain't she a lovely old worm, my granny).

I didn't know if she meant that I should help my cousin or my vassal (and I just couldn't stiffen my spine to ask her), but I was a bit carried off with the military spirit just then, and before I knew how, I was invading Aragon. Yep. I did have a claim, after all, and he was at war with one of my vassals.

By the way, just look at my army at the time: the last handfuls of a dozen provincial regiments.

10-18-aragon.png

See also this picture of my son Luis, which I took just before leaving for that campaign. Just turned three, and already a famously stubborn, pugnacious little boy. It's probably the lack of a softening paternal influence: I've been at war since before he was born.

10-19-luis.png

On November 19th 1073, having shorn the emir of Sevilla of all vassals, we signed peace. We renounced claims on each other's lands, and I kept Sevilla (can't help it: it's such a nice fortified city, with a special colour, a special light, and the ability to field a very large regiment). Of course, the rump of the Emirate joined the happy family of Navarran vassals.

10-21-peace.png

And then, on December 2nd... I got a vassalage proposal from the Duke of Barcelona. Yep. The one I've been wooing for seven years. It seems I will get my little place by the sea shore at last. For those of you that don't know, it's a well-known tradition that Navarrans like to spend the summer on the Catalan coast, and I've been spoiling for it for a long time now.

10-20-gotbarna.png

The Borg comissioned a map of Europe just for the occasion, and I got to admit it looks really nice (40 provinces? Or am I counting any finger twice?). I'm looking forward to hanging it in the main hall at the Navarra royal castle. Because I'm going home now, at last. With almost every moor in Iberia under the heel, and armies enough to intimidate my dear cousins, I'm starting to feel reasonably confident in the future.

10-22-hispania.png

That's when the surprise came. On December 6th I received an alliance proposal from Cousin Jimenez of León, the biggest of them. Which is nice, and I accept... and then I call my spymaster and my chancellor to explain the matter. How can dear Alfonso propose me an alliance, when it's widely known that I'm allied to the always entertaining Emirate of Mallorca?

10-23-surprise.png

Apparently, while we were busy killing off the independent emirate of Sevilla to avoid them becoming the beach-head of an invasion by the North African muslims... our dear Mallorcan allies just went and became vassalized by a huge monster of a foreign outfit known as the Seljuk Turks. Which Laura tells me are just about the meanest beast on the Mediterranean.

Just think of what Granny will say.

So much work, and the work is never done. That piece of news was a bit too much, so I just decided to set my capital in Córdoba for Christmas, called Agnes and the kids over from the north, and left García with the siege of Aragón. I needed a breather.

Last edited:
Wow! This is an entertaining and instructional read. Plenty of luck, to be sure, but also some bold decisions - good work! So is it now time for a preemptive strike at the Turks?

Glad you like it :).

Re the turks. All the way to Baghdad :)? Don't give him ideas :D, he could be listening. Or García.

Sancho is not so much bold as blundering, I hope. He makes decisions that seem good with the data he has; he just never has all the data, and things never work as he expects. On the other hand he does some things without thinking (like recognising the claims of conquered moors and breaking up most big vassals) that will have serious consequences.

Then there's his phobia of the Jimenez women, his awe of Muña Mayor, and his general insecurity (maybe all part of the same thing?). He's really driven to survive... so we may see a few unexpected things yet.

I don't think he really knows who the Turks are. Anything may happen :).

(BTW, Sancho does have a weird sort of luck as a CK character. In a recent game he managed to marry two girls at the same time, one of them a Scottish Atheling ;). Got at least two offspring a year for quite a while, too. He died thoroughly stressed :D).

1074. War against the Turks (or, how did this happen, again?)

Hello again. Come in, come in... and please excuse me if I remain seated. I'm really very tired.

Let's start at the beginning. You may remember that last time we talked, Navarra was at war with my cousin García's kingdom of Aragon (yes, I have other cousins called García, but they're not kings. Yet).

I was worried because two of the remaining muslim emirates in the peninsula were actually footholds of a large and aggresive kingdom. See for instance little Emirate of Granada: they could muster more soldiers than we did!

11-2-granadatroops.png

You can imagine my reaction when I saw the peril they were. And you can imagine what I did when my spymistress, Laura, told me that their agents where already infiltrating the courts of my vassals to foment uprisings.

Yes. Well, in case you can't, I jumped them. Actually I jumped Cádiz, which was being held by the emirate of Granada, a vassal of the master of my Mallorcan ex-ally, the grandly-sounding Sultan of the Seljuk Turks, whomever he may be. The Borg told me he's a cross between the heirs of Alexander the Great and some camel herdswomen in Anatolia, but they seem to have come a long way since then.

But lets start at the beginning. It happened thus. I was awake at night, pacing the gardens of Madinat al-Zahara (my new Cordoban palace-city, just expropiated), when it struck me that this was actually the same problem that we had with the Emir of Zaragoza. He had more troops than us, but he didn't have them here. The Turk only had the Granadans and the Mallorcans (which I kind of looked forward to smashing). So I reasoned that a quick war and a quick peace might allow me to present the Sultan with what Agnes calls a "fait accompli", and buy peace.

11-MEDINA_LOUNGE.jpg

I told García, who was skulking behind a columnade, and went to bed. In the morning I found out we were at war.

My Granny called me a dozen sorts of names and my female counsellors didn't look happy either, but at the moment it did look like a good idea, and I probably did tell García to attack, as he says I did. The Mallorcans and the Seljuks declared war inmediately. It started to sound dangerous when I received war declarations from a dozen other people with wonderful names, but by that time, the dice were thrown...

On the other hand, by early January 1073 my policy of settling claims and being generally nice to people started bearing fruit. The small Aragonese and Turkish wars didn't make many headlines, and the widespread peace after decades of widespread war was making itself felt. Provinces rose in prosperity and taxes, and new vassals made themselves useful by fostering the Jimenez brood of princes: I couldn't help thinking that Navarra was on the right road.

11-0-foster.png

11-0-foster2.png

Late January was full of news, too. France started to look fragile, with rebellions and wars and all. As long as that doesn't interfere with the Aquitanian heritage of my boy Luis, I couldn't care less... but let's face it, having busy neighbours is always good news when your kingdom is so weak from years of fighting.

11-3-aragonpaz.png

Ah. And we conquered Aragón. I kept dear cousin García as count and bagged the crown so as to end the issue. Granny sent a letter with some suggestions about settling disputes with more definite means (in fact, asking why the heck I wasn't cutting his damned head off like a man) but family's family. I mean, I used to play catch-the-maid with García when we were both kids.

So by February we were fighting the Seljuk vassals, including the Mallorcans. Felt right like good old times, and we made a fast job of it. They did actually get to besiege Córdoba and Valencia (having a scattered domain does tend to offer targets to the enemy) but that didn't last long. By February 9th, my bishop Juan of Navarra kicked them off the place.

A good thing too. My new Leonese ally didn't bother to join the fun at all, so we were strictly alone.

By February 28th, I started getting messages from Seljuk vassals again. Only this time they offered to buy peace. I mostly accepted, being a peaceful sort (present spate of wars excepted) and needing cash for the treasury.

11-8-squash.png

By late March, we were besieging every Turkish province in Iberia (they're the camel-coloured ones on the lower half of the map) and winning, so I threw a special party to honor our outstanding Marshall, García. He blushed very prettily, said some kind words to the attendants, and went back to his job of enlarging my kingdom. Which is what he gets paid to do, after all.

11-x-garcia.png

The job was harder than it sounds, since our armies were about as worn out as can be imagined, but thanks to the just-recruited ex-Sevillan troops, we eventually beat them to the ground. Better yet, emissaries from ever more fantastically-named Seljuk vassals kept appearing and asking me to allow them to pay for peace. At that time, I was not letting them off the hook, thinking about the Sevillan experience (better keep the enemy armies fragmented).

This is a picture of me at the time. I had it painted to put on the banqueting halls of all my new vassals. It show every wart, like my alleged weak will and (can't hide it) affinity for chasing skirts. The Borg says the portrait's useful for something she's working on called a "personality cult", and I'm going along with it. She's good. I mean, you should see what the bull-running festival at Navarra has become over these few years. Quite the party.

11-18-portraits.png

Anyhow, by August I had beaten Granada and signed them on, but the battles were getting tougher and tougher. Some of my captains were so tired they managed to get captured, which gave the enemy a lot of public relations ammunition. I needed twenty regiments to gather less than 7000 soldiers. Even my chancellor (I was trying out cousin Fernando at the time) managed to get wounded.

11-10-asleep.png

At the end of the month, Mallorca was on its last leg and the Seljuk vassals were making really juicy offers. I grew distracted, declared war on Almeria without even checking who their overlord was, conquered it and gave it to Mom (see a picture of her here) for her birthday. It was the first conquered province I gave to a Christian overlord, which was good... and it also got the Dowager Queen, ex-Regent, off of the court, which was better.

11-13-mami.png

By November 6th 1074, while I was busy besieging Calatrava (the last remaining province of my old pal the Emir of Mallorca), their last co-vassal, Murcia, gave up the ghost and became a province of Navarra. By November 12th, I had every province and sent a nicely-worded peace proposal to the Emir of Mallorca. Which they accepted. I was a bit harsh, forcing him to give over Denia (makes a nice bishopric, which Juan had quite earned) and relinquish all claims on my new provinces, but on the other hand I relinquished any claims on his lands. I do hope that was the last time I have to go to war againts him... and I do hope his ex-master can be beaten off or pacified. We have seen no Turkish ships yet.

11-17-clearinghouse.png

11-16-reconquista.png

... meanwhile, just have a look at the new map. It looks nice, now doesn't it? 48 provinces. I've rebuilt most of Visigoth Hispania. I've built a kingdom to stand the test of time. Hell, I've just finished the Reconquista!

Now, can I go home? Please?

Last edited:
That was 1074; I have drafted chapters only until 1077, so after that it will be quite slower going.

AllmyJames guessed what Sancho was about to do then... any ideas what will happen next :)?

Last edited: