• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(128120)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Dec 8, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron III
I've recently had the opportunity to review Warband: http://www.game-debate.com/articles/index.php?a_id=433&game=Mount and Blade: Warband and have enjoyed it immensely.

Single player is a fresh-feeling evolution of M&B with added features such as a new map, a new faction, morale, and marriage.

Multiplayer is evenly balanced gamewise and alot of fun. Combat techniques will take alot of work and polishing tho' (some people have already become very proficient via Beta, and are very hard to beat!) The usual frustration of multiplayer combat games: lack of player discipline, total lack of basic tactics etc is compounded by no in-game VOIP. But it's a great place for a brawl. ;)

Mount and Blade or Warband? Well, obviously there is a big price difference Warband is still new and the price will likely stay close to retail for a while. M&B can now be found at incredibly good value....And is your passport into literally hundreds of different worlds due to the vast array of fantastic free mods available via the Taleworlds site http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,63.0.html

Get them both! They are both extraordinary games in their own ways!

Warband because . . .

From what I understand, from what I've read, Warband is essentially the first Mount and Blade, but with a few additions that give a little more variety in what you can do, plus it has a multiplayer battlefield option.

However, if one already owns Mount and Blade, I don't know, probably it's better to wait until Warband becomes cheaper since multiplayer is really the only major improvement in Warband, from what I've read. The real question, then, would be, is it worth paying $30+ for the multiplayer option, being able to marry, having one more faction, and few other missions available. I don't think so, but that's just me.

You are more or less right, Warband is like the first M&B, but in a better and more advanced way.

I decided to buy it because i wanted to form my own Kingdom, havent even tried the multiplayer jet.

All in all i dont regret bying it, its a good game and gets better with every new patch :)

So if you own both the original M&B and Warband (I bought the Paradox Complete Pack in the recent Steam sale) would it be redundant to first play the original and then Warband? Or is there enough difference in the two single-player games to warrant playing both? I very much would appreciate some help here :)

So if you own both the original M&B and Warband (I bought the Paradox Complete Pack in the recent Steam sale) would it be redundant to first play the original and then Warband? Or is there enough difference in the two single-player games to warrant playing both? I very much would appreciate some help here :)
I would just play Warband single player. It has more features, more things to do, another kingdom and a better map and graphics all right off the bat and you don't lose anything. Similarly some of the combat dynamics are a bit different (Warband's are more nuanced) so learning on the original to move on to Warband can be frustrating for some. So bottom line, yes, I would call it redundant.

However, not all is lost for having acquired the original M&B. The original has a good number of very unique mods that you may find interesting--a total conversion to the Star Wars universe comes to mind as a unique, well developed mod--that haven't been ported to Warband (at least not yet).

Thanks very much for your response, Cabadrin! It's good to know all these things. I at first thought Warband is more of a sequel, but now it sounds more like an all-improved remake. I started up a game in both titles and noticed that the starting date is the same as well. So I guess it's settled ... I'll play Warband :) But it's good to know about those mods. I'll have a look at them.

Warband because it has online gaming

Yeah I remember while I played Mount & blade and I always felt like this game need multiplayer. Well next think they should do is to add coop so me and my friend could charge against our enemies shouting like "Hakkaapaalle pohjan poika"! (sorry britti nappis)