• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apologies to everyone for not being around these past few weeks or so; my job has kept me extremely busy throughout that time and I haven't had the time to devote to this mod that I'd have liked! I do, however, intend on taking some time off at the end of February which I'll hopefully be able to use productively by working on MDS.

It seems that there is a reasonable amount of interest from the community in getting hold of the mod, which I am more than happy to allow. However, someone will need to give me some idea of how to distribute such a large mod to everyone. As pointed out earlier, the mod weighs in a 1.4GB; whilst I'm sure that this can be brought down with compression, it's still likely to be a hefty upload and I can't immediately think of anywhere I can upload it to. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to listen to anything in this regard.

And to answer Olle8's question, the mod is built on MDS 1.6 and uses the custom map created for the mod, with more provinces in the Middle East and the Balkans.

It is simply not possible that the mod, i.e. the modified files alone, weights 1,4 Gb. Either you're speaking of the entire install of AoD over which you installed the mod, and then the distribution of it will be indeed very unpractical and also simply illegal, or something went very wrong when you prepared the required files for the mod and then I'd recommend you to check them again and to include only what is really useful.

It is simply not possible that the mod, i.e. the modified files alone, weights 1,4 Gb. Either you're speaking of the entire install of AoD over which you installed the mod, and then the distribution of it will be indeed very unpractical and also simply illegal, or something went very wrong when you prepared the required files for the mod and then I'd recommend you to check them again and to include only what is really useful.

I have over 3 gb of sprites in my current AoD. I am pretty sure that the mod includes sprites.

Its very well possible and I would appreciate to download whole mod, than with excluded "useless content".

Then how about omitting the sprites? Should make the mod smaller that way. Keep in mind that Paul Hanson has to first seed at least a single full copy.

I'm against cutting out of sprites(and I assume enough other people :D). And once compressed they (bmp. sprite files) weigh much less.

edit: Just done an compression of my sprite folder "units" with Winrar. Folder weighs 508MB uncompressed and 29MB compressed.

Last edited:
It has to be because of the sprites, it just can't be that the mod is over 1 GB in size. The Arma version was around 200 MB in size if I recall correctly, and Kaiserreich for example has around 100 MB of data. Just exclude those sprites, I think no one will mind if the alpha version is released without them.

It has to be because of the sprites, it just can't be that the mod is over 1 GB in size. The Arma version was around 200 MB in size if I recall correctly, and Kaiserreich for example has around 100 MB of data. Just exclude those sprites, I think no one will mind if the alpha version is released without them.

Alfa version? I mean there were 3 beta versions before.:(

And yeah just compress it and you will see the sprites weigh more than 10x less than before.

Modern Day Scenario

This thread is intended to become the hub for all activity related to the above mod, which I have been converting to AoD and tweaking slightly on-and-off for several months now. It isn't ready for release yet, I'm afraid, but it is getting there; hopefully with the help of your good selves it won't be too far off.

There is a great deal of work still left to do on the mod, but at the moment I'm attempting to get it's files organised properly. A large part of this (which has been consuming most of the time I've spent working in the mod) has been the renaming of all the minister, leader and tech teams pics to fit a common standard; my hope is that this will make it easier to add further examples of all three in the future. There is a catch to this, however; as the image files must have unique names, it means that each minister/leader/team within a country must also have a unique name. This is fine for the vast majority of cases, but falls over in the case of some countries. I'm having a great deal of trouble finding definitive sources on full names for a lot of generals, and I'm not sure that some of them have been named correctly. If you are (or merely consider yourself to be) an expert on the military leadership of the following nations, I'd love to hear from you:

China
Taiwan
Republic of Korea

Note that for the ROK, it appears that whoever drafted the leader file (which is undoubtedly extensive) used given names to name the leaders, as opposed to family names. I'm not 100% certain of this, but it seems to be the case to me.

Aside from that, I'm happy to accept help from anyone willing to offer it, even if your contribution is limited to a small handful of ministers of a seemingly minor bug noticed in the Armageddon version of the mod. I intend on checking this thread regularly, and suggestions are always welcome!

The Korean naming tradition is reverse to the western one, the first name is the family name, while the second name is the given name. At least that is true for North Korea, but I would assume it is for South Korea as well, especially after looking at the names of South Korean leaders and ministers.

Alfa version? I mean there were 3 beta versions before.:(

I meant the alpha version for AoD :)

The mod was playable on Arma, but AoD has slightly different game mechanics so there might be more bugs than expected.

OK, I've just tried compressing the mod, whilst removing things that I know for a fact are unchanged from vanilla AoD, and the resulting zip weighs in at about 360MB, which is decidedly more reasonable. Whoever it was who made the point about bitmaps zipping up well was on to something I reckon, as the 700MB worth of graphics (most of which are altered from vanilla, bear in mind; unlike with a lot of mods, the timeframe of MDS precludes any real overlap with the vanilla game) has compressed down to a fraction of it's overall size.

This strikes me as a pretty reasonable sort of size for a mod download in this day and age. Unless anyone has any better ideas (and I'm more than open to them), I might try uploading a torrent of this on the Pirate Bay and seeing how things go.

Uploading the mod as a torrent is a good idea. I can seed it for as long as necessary since my computer is already up and running from morning to evening, seeding torrents of various TV shows.

Uploading the mod as a torrent is a good idea. I can seed it for as long as necessary since my computer is already up and running from morning to evening, seeding torrents of various TV shows.

This computer is on 24/6.