• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I probably won't fix it any time soon. Also I don't really know that much about modding so I don't know if I will figure it out. I should probably write what version it was made for so people don't get there hopes up. I remember that playing Prussian I could use any retinues last I tired it, I was hoping that a ck2 or ck2 plus patch changed it on purpose because don't know what I changed that influences retinues.

I probably won't fix it any time soon. Also I don't really know that much about modding so I don't know if I will figure it out. I should probably write what version it was made for so people don't get there hopes up. I remember that playing Prussian I could use any retinues last I tired it, I was hoping that a ck2 or ck2 plus patch changed it on purpose because don't know what I changed that influences retinues.

It's probably the fact that since 2.0.1/2.0.2/2.0.3 (not sure which) there is a potential in retinues.

So it used to be somewhat like:
Code:
RETTYPE_CUL_En1 =
{
	first_type = 1
	first_amount = 100

second_type = 5
	second_amount = 200

culture = english
	culture = welsh
	culture = cornish

modifier = {
		heavy_infantry_offensive = 0.1
		archers_offensive = 0.3
	}
}

and currently it's:
Code:
RETTYPE_CUL_En1 =
{
	first_type = 1
	first_amount = 100

second_type = 5
	second_amount = 200
[COLOR="#FF0000"]	potential = {
		OR = {
			culture = english
			culture = welsh
			culture = cornish
		}
	}[/COLOR]
	modifier = {
		heavy_infantry_offensive = 0.1
		archers_offensive = 0.3
	}
}

Maybe after changing this something is mentioned differently and hence it was trigger on certain conditions in which it is not triggering now. Whether it is intentional or just a faulty line inserted during patching is not in my knowledge.

Edit: So maybe for prussian it maybe used to be an OR (culture is prussian or german) and is now wrongly an AND (prussian and german) which breaks it completely.

Edit2: My dev friends would like to exactly know which retinue it exactly is and when it should (and now isn't) be available, so it can be fixed. That is, IF the problem is in ck2+ itself.
At least some prussian retinues seem to work.
Edit3: I now realise you actually stated you can use the prussian retinues. I read it as can't and thought that was the problem.
Ah well, at least there is now an explanation for the potential change in the latest patch...

Last edited:

Yeah there was a change to how retinues were handled. It modified how you have to input their information, to allow for retinues that are based upon technology level and stuff. If you have those changes in your files and you are using an older version of CK2 (it happened in 2.03 I believe), the game can't figure out how to read the "potential = {}" and enables it for everyone.

For reference, here is the level 1 baltic retinues that the Prussian culture is part of:

Code:
RETTYPE_CUL_Ba1 =
{
	first_type = 1
	first_amount = 200

second_type = 3
	second_amount = 100

potential = {
		OR = {
			culture = pommeranian
			culture_group = baltic
			culture_group = finno_ugric
		}
	}
	modifier = {
		heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.3
		light_cavalry_defensive = 0.3
	}
}

To fix yours, you just have to make sure to have your cultures inside of potential = {} so the game knows where to look for them.

Yeah there was a change to how retinues were handled. It modified how you have to input their information, to allow for retinues that are based upon technology level and stuff. If you have those changes in your files and you are using an older version of CK2 (it happened in 2.03 I believe), the game can't figure out how to read the "potential = {}" and enables it for everyone.

For reference, here is the level 1 baltic retinues that the Prussian culture is part of:

Code:
RETTYPE_CUL_Ba1 =
{
	first_type = 1
	first_amount = 200

second_type = 3
	second_amount = 100

potential = {
		OR = {
			culture = pommeranian
			culture_group = baltic
			culture_group = finno_ugric
		}
	}
	modifier = {
		heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.3
		light_cavalry_defensive = 0.3
	}
}

To fix yours, you just have to make sure to have your cultures inside of potential = {} so the game knows where to look for them.

I did that and it works now as far as I can tell Thanks. Version 0.7 is uploaded fixes it.

In other news there are these alternate history "melting pots" in my mod in case Norse culture goes places it shouldn't like Iberia and Africa and I was wondering if they are too weirdly named or use very unlikely name-lists.

Visigoth (Iberian group): This is what Germanic settlers in Iberia will become. The idea is that in the game world the people don't really know/care where the ruling class of invaders really is from so they name them after the closest people they know and maybe purposely create an illusion of continuity to the original Visigoths.
Code:
male_names = {
			Achila Agil Agila Airmanareiks Alhareiks Alaric Alatheus Amal Amala Amalaric Ansila Aoric Ardo Ariaric Athal Athala Athanagild Athanaric
			Athavulf Audawulfs Augis Beremud Botheric Braulio Bulgar Chindasuinth Chintila Cniva Ediulf Egica Eisarn Ermanaric Ervig Euric
			Eurich Friderich Frithugairns Fritigern Gainas Gaisumunths Gesimund Gisalic Gundemar Hachiulf Harjareiks Hermangild Hermenegild
			Hermenigild Hildebad Hilderith Hildireths Himnerith Hisarnis Hunamunths Hunawilja Hunimund Hunuil Ildefonsus Isidore Iudila Julian
			Leander Leovigild Leuvigild Liuva Nidada Oduulf Ovida Recared Reccared Reccesuinth_Recceswinth Receswinth_Recceswinth Respa Retemer Ricimer Roderic_Roderick Safrac
			Sarus Segeric Sisbert Sisebut Sisenand Suinthila Suniefred Thaurismunths Theoderic_Theodoric Theodorid Theudisclus_Theudisclus Thiudigisclus_Theudisclus Thiudis
			Thorismud Thorismund Thuruar Totila Tulga Valaravans Valia Vandalarius Veduc Vinitharius Vultuulf Walahrabns Walja Wamba
			Wandilaharjis Winithaharjis Witteric Wittiza
		}
		female_names = {
			Amalaberga Adosinda Aeliuba Agnitruedia Ailo Alabera Alatrudia Alduara Aliverta Amalaberga Amalafrida Amalasuentha Andeleova Anilo
			Ansobrida Ansoi Aragunti Argilo Aruildi Astragundia Astroildi Badosinda Barili Berildi Brunhilda Cenabrida Cenosinda
			Cenusinda Cixilo Daildi Egilo Eillo Eilo Eldoara Eldontia Elduara Elo Emilo Erelieva Ermenbe Ermenberga_Ermenberga
			Ermesenda_Ermesinda Ermesinda_Ermesinda Ermosinda_Ermensinda Ermoygia Evermud Fachilo Fakilo Faquilo Florentina Fredenanda Fredesinda Frogildi Froili Froiliuba
			Froilo Fruilo Galswinth Geloyrae Genusinda Giloira Giluira Gisclauara Gisclaura Gissilauara Gogildi Gogina Goina Goisuintha
			Gomesinda Goncina Gondilo Gonza Gudigeva Gudoegia Guduigia Guinildi Guinilli Guncina Gunderona Gundigeua Gunthswinth
			Guntildi Heldoara Hermesendis Hildoara Honosinda Icka Ildoie Illoigia Isilo Ispasanda Leouildi Leovigoto Leudesinda
			Leuvina Liuilo Mathesuentha Modildi Ninilo Nunilo Nunilu Nunnilo Penetrudia Quinigia Quinilli Ragesenda Ranilo Reccesuinda
			Recciberga Recesinda Reciberga Recoire Recosinda Regesenda Roilo Senderiga Senetrudia Sesoira Siclauara Sigesgundia Simildi
			Sindeleoba Sindiuerga Sisegundie Siseguntia Sisiguntis Sisildi Soniefrada Spasanda Subildi Suinthiliuba Sunildi Teodilli
			Teodogoncia Teodoriga Teodosinda Theudesinda Thiudigoto Thuresmuda Tota Trasildi Trudildi Trudilli Uadauara Ubitilde Uisflauara
			Uistrilo Vadamerca Vilocia Zenecidarga
		}

Vandal (Arab group): Basically the same as above but for "Africa"(I kind of mean k_africa but effectively the event is applied to a large area including all of Africa on the map and parts Asia), invaders associated with ancient people as basis for legitimacy through continuity.
Code:
male_names = {
			Achila Agil Agila Airmanareiks Alhareiks Alaric Alatheus Amal Amala Amalaric Ansila Aoric Ardo Ariaric Athal Athala Athanagild Athanaric
			Athavulf Audawulfs Augis Beremud Botheric Braulio Bulgar Chindasuinth Chintila Cniva Ediulf Egica Eisarn Ermanaric Ervig Euric
			Eurich Friderich Frithugairns Fritigern Gainas Gaisumunths Gesimund Gisalic Gundemar Hachiulf Harjareiks Hermangild Hermenegild
			Hermenigild Hildebad Hilderith Hildireths Himnerith Hisarnis Hunamunths Hunawilja Hunimund Hunuil Ildefonsus Isidore Iudila Julian
			Leander Leovigild Leuvigild Liuva Nidada Oduulf Ovida Recared Reccared Reccesuinth_Recceswinth Receswinth_Recceswinth Respa Retemer Ricimer Roderic_Roderick Safrac
			Sarus Segeric Sisbert Sisebut Sisenand Suinthila Suniefred Thaurismunths Theoderic_Theodoric Theodorid Theudisclus_Theudisclus Thiudigisclus_Theudisclus Thiudis
			Thorismud Thorismund Thuruar Totila Tulga Valaravans Valia Vandalarius Veduc Vinitharius Vultuulf Walahrabns Walja Wamba
			Wandilaharjis Winithaharjis Witteric Wittiza
		}
		female_names = {
			Amalaberga Adosinda Aeliuba Agnitruedia Ailo Alabera Alatrudia Alduara Aliverta Amalaberga Amalafrida Amalasuentha Andeleova Anilo
			Ansobrida Ansoi Aragunti Argilo Aruildi Astragundia Astroildi Badosinda Barili Berildi Brunhilda Cenabrida Cenosinda
			Cenusinda Cixilo Daildi Egilo Eillo Eilo Eldoara Eldontia Elduara Elo Emilo Erelieva Ermenbe Ermenberga_Ermenberga
			Ermesenda_Ermesinda Ermesinda_Ermesinda Ermosinda_Ermensinda Ermoygia Evermud Fachilo Fakilo Faquilo Florentina Fredenanda Fredesinda Frogildi Froili Froiliuba
			Froilo Fruilo Galswinth Geloyrae Genusinda Giloira Giluira Gisclauara Gisclaura Gissilauara Gogildi Gogina Goina Goisuintha
			Gomesinda Goncina Gondilo Gonza Gudigeva Gudoegia Guduigia Guinildi Guinilli Guncina Gunderona Gundigeua Gunthswinth
			Guntildi Heldoara Hermesendis Hildoara Honosinda Icka Ildoie Illoigia Isilo Ispasanda Leouildi Leovigoto Leudesinda
			Leuvina Liuilo Mathesuentha Modildi Ninilo Nunilo Nunilu Nunnilo Penetrudia Quinigia Quinilli Ragesenda Ranilo Reccesuinda
			Recciberga Recesinda Reciberga Recoire Recosinda Regesenda Roilo Senderiga Senetrudia Sesoira Siclauara Sigesgundia Simildi
			Sindeleoba Sindiuerga Sisegundie Siseguntia Sisiguntis Sisildi Soniefrada Spasanda Subildi Suinthiliuba Sunildi Teodilli
			Teodogoncia Teodoriga Teodosinda Theudesinda Thiudigoto Thuresmuda Tota Trasildi Trudildi Trudilli Uadauara Ubitilde Uisflauara
			Uistrilo Vadamerca Vilocia Zenecidarga
		}

Gothic (centralgermanic group): So if norse invaders settle in k_germany or k_lotharingia they become Gothic because Gotland is kind of connecting norse and gothic and I thought it would be funny to have a culture named Gothic while Gothic art is being made.

Vandal and Visigoth names might not fit this purpous I just copied them from the ressourse thread wihout questioning them due wishful thinking and now i'm wondering wheter to keep them/ what to replace them with.

Last edited:
Hi, really glad you got this working again as it had lots of interesting ideas. In terms of the melting pots I would change the names of both the cultures and the names in the files lists. If the idea is that the norse settlers integrate into the culture around them I think it makes more sense for them to take the names from the indigenous culture than to keep norse names. I would go for Nórdico for the iberian culture and use iberian versions of the Norman names with maybe a few older norse names in there too. For Arabic the best I could find was al Majus which was in an interesting book section called: The [European] Other in Medieval Arabic Literature and Culture which can be found online . I think for these you should just use the native arabic names rather than trying to integrate Norse ones, but there might be a few names from that list that could be arabized eg. the one's starting with Al

Last edited:
Hi, really glad you got this working again as it had lots of interesting ideas. In terms of the melting pots I would change the names of both the cultures and the names in the files lists. If the idea is that the norse settlers integrate into the culture around them I think it makes more sense for them to take the names from the indigenous culture than to keep norse names. I would go for Nórdico for the iberian culture and use iberian versions of the Norman names with maybe a few older norse names in there too. For Arabic the best I could find was al Majus which was in an interesting book section called: The [European] Other in Medieval Arabic Literature and Culture which can be found online . I think for these you should just use the native arabic names rather than trying to integrate Norse ones, but there might be a few names from that list that could be arabized eg. the one's starting with Al

Thank you I will consider these names.

is the duchy of aquitaine supposed to be separate from the kingdom of aquitaine at the start?

I think the map just displays it like that before you start a new game because it doesn't consider titles having the same holder. But i can't hurt if i check the history files and make aquitaine defacto kingdom of aquitaine

I would go for Nórdico for the iberian culture and use iberian versions of the Norman names with maybe a few older norse names in there too. For Arabic the best I could find was al Majus which was in an interesting book section called: The [European] Other in Medieval Arabic Literature and Culture which can be found online . I think for these you should just use the native arabic names rather than trying to integrate Norse ones, but there might be a few names from that list that could be arabized eg. the one's starting with Al

I changed the culture names like you said and tried my best "arabizing" some norse names. (probably did it terribly wrong Edit: also I forgot the Al in Al Majus is that bad? Editedti: it's fixed by now)

The new version also changes lots of other stuff. I hope no one is offended by my mend the schism like event for Baltic and Slavic. I don't mean to say there the same by that. The idea is that a reformed version of the two would incorporate the other by allow the worship of regional gods and regional rites as long as the high priest is acknowledged. It might not yet work entirely i haven't really tested it.

Also the HRE should now properly become dejure (outside of italy), incorporating kingdoms hold by the emperor at the time of a certain event.

event text is outdated
NrHGYXO.jpg

kSNB7hk.jpg

cieYzcW.jpg

I also made a very experimental change concerning how culture is spread. You don't need to be of your (top) lieges culture to spread yours but it's more likely to happen if you are. It may need some tweaking but think it can work plausibly this way. (generally moved restrictions to mean time modifiers for culture events)

For some reason I couldn't get Latin retainers to work. It work for all other cultures like Minorg said but atleast some of my latin cultures still don't have retainers .

There's some other stuff in the change log.
I am sorry for the doublepost

Last edited:
I'll be honest, this entire mod makes me want to do one for 'theoretical' cultures, like what-if scenarios for norse invading Africa, the Middle East, or even Indian. Norse-Gael? More like Norse-Vedic!

I'll be honest, this entire mod makes me want to do one for 'theoretical' cultures, like what-if scenarios for norse invading Africa, the Middle East, or even Indian. Norse-Gael? More like Norse-Vedic!

Obvious i had to think about 'theoretical' cultures a lot for the mod, the problem is since so much can happen in the game there really are no limits to cultures that could be implemented. After all every culture is constantly shifting and melting so every situation is kind of deserving of it's own melting pot but that's impossible to pull off and might not add that much to the game. So i came to the conclusion that in most cases the forging ruling minority should just convert to the culture of there subjects. Sure the rulers may have some influence on the culture of the region but then every culture is constantly exposed to outside influences and we still consider them to be the same most of the time.

Good luck if you decide to go through with it!

Mind if I take a look at your mods guts to get a handle on the way cultures shift? If nothing more, I may do it for a few choice concepts I just really enjoy.

Sure go ahead. A lot of my events like those in 'culture_conversion_events.txt' are based on CK2+ files so you might want to contact them too before uploading something. But take what ever you can use from TotoG.