• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What madness is this? I leave for a few days and this pops up?

Heresy!

More screenies of actual features, who cares about pretty de jure borders.

What about Bears on Bears?

.... insert gay joke here because I was too lazy to think of one.

Yes, that is totally acceptable :laugh:

What madness is this? I leave for a few days and this pops up?

Heresy!
This isn't madness.
No, it isn't Spata either - it's just me doing bullshit :laugh:

Now this is an interesting scenario.

It's gonna be more than interesting. You'll begin to doubt you were ever a good person to begin with, and you'll curse your mother for bringing such a monster into the world.

More screenies of actual features, who cares about pretty de jure borders.

Yeah, yeah, I did promise that, now, didn't I :laugh:

Can we have Broomsticks on Broomsticks?

Or Broomsticks on Horses/Bears?

Broomstick Invasion?

Yes, those are all totally acceptable - I purposefully left out those combinations.
Tho, I don't know about a Broomstick Invasion. Maybe Boomstick, sure, but Broomstick? I'll have to mull that one over . __ .

I am intrigued. Also, the Fall from Heaven was the best part of civ 4

It's gonna be more than interesting. You'll begin to doubt you were ever a good person to begin with, and you'll curse your mother for bringing such a monster into the world.

Yep, definately more than interesting, then.

Some hints to the lore?
A bit of history?
What's the difference between here and there, except people having coloured blood granting them ludicrous abilities and acting like dicks with them?

I am intrigued. Also, the Fall from Heaven was the best part of civ 4

Glad that I intrigued, but I'll have to say that this isn't actually "Fall from Heaven" in CK2 - it'll take some influences from FFH, of course, but more from other sources, and many from my own thinkpan as well ;)

Edit:

Yep, definately more than interesting, then.

Some hints to the lore?
A bit of history?
What's the difference between here and there, except people having coloured blood granting them ludicrous abilities and acting like dicks with them?

Well basically that's the gist of it, but coloured blood and magic come from forces which...

I'll make a dev diary mixed with lore, post it in an hour or three - no reason not to see you boil in your own sauces ;)

Does boiling ones blood change the magic one can use in any way? :p
Well, if you boil yourself, it changes all your magic and physiological functions to the "Death" type :laugh:

Otherwise, the different methods of spilling blood give varying effects - boiling someone with coloured blood alive just so you can do magic on them is a practically guaranteed way to commit suicide, but boiling your own blood may be a fun thing to do... :laugh:

Now that I know what this is I can safely support it.

Glad to hear that :laugh:
I'm currently in process of writing up a post explaining magic, bloodstuff, the lore and history of the world, so stick around for a bit more ;)

[Development Diary 1] - Blood and Magic (part one)

Magic in Erebos is a fun thing. All magic is based in blood, and blood changes due to magical influence. Most forms of magic in Erebos require the spillage of blood to appease the entities working behind the scenes and convince them to side with you, for at least a little while. You see, in Erebos, all blood has a characteristic hue, and everything that has blood is susceptible to magic.

Rome's history is certainly one obsessed with blood - Rome won countless wars with spillage of blood behind closed doors: Brennos, Hannibal, Spartacus were all slain without a finger being laid on them - but it also led to its downspiral and eventual fall. Rebels such as Lucius Sergius and Lucius Septimius had it in them to usurp the old order and found republics in their own idea, no different than monarchies.
Rome fell and was sacked in 381 due to misuse of magic, though was later reconquered by imperial forces from the East.

Magic is basically what makes the world and what fuels cutthroat intrigue - blood runs thicker than water, sure, but ambition runs thicker than blood.
Magic in Erebos can be used for both the good and inane, and the evil and chaotic. You can work blood to kill friends and foes, maim them, acquire riches and try and protect yourself from age and death, but also heal the infirm and diseased, cure the leprous and bring light to the blinded.
Just be careful when curing people, ok? I mean, magic doesn't come from, you know, mentally and morally sound deities.

Some acts of magic require only a drop drawn from, say, the pricking of a thumb, but others almost beckon you to be just that bit more creative. You might start out by drawing blood, sure, but be careful not to slip into deranged habits and patterns.

The demons of Erebos are some of the oldest beings in existence - some have scribbled down the first written word, others have witnessed the very dawn of man and Earth. These demons, in turn, draw their power from a dark deity, an entity of chaos that works the universe to his liking behind the scenes.
There basically are three tiers of demons you can interact with in Erebos: there are the Primodials, the instruments of darkness on Earth and the true spawn of evil and entropy; there are the Nightspawned, beings that used to be human long ago, before selling their soul and humanity and falling prey to their own avarice and delusions; there also are Halflings at the bottom of the hierarchy, the direct descendants of Nightspawned and humans (hybrids, if you so wish).
During games, you'll most commonly encounter Nightspawned and Halflings, and will probably have one too many disputes with them before they decide to burn your ass to ashes. You want to cheat on a Nightspawned woman? That'd be a fun thing to do, I guess. You can try; I mean, what harm could possibly come to you?
Primodials are a different breed altogether. They're what makes a Nightspawn out of a regular human. Unlike all the other myriad creatures you'll possibly encounter, the Primodials are truly undying: they are, after all, an innate concept, the fundamental threads that underline the fabric of the world.

The hue of blood comes from these demonic forces and their interbreeding with humans. Blood colours can be neatly arranged in a rainbow or scale, ranging from the warmest hues in red, to the coldest dark violet. Hue shows how much demonic residue is in a person's blood: an untainted red lies at the bottom and opposite it is a nearly demonic violet.
Men throughout history had given up nearly unimaginable things - empires, uncounted treasures, kin and siblings - for a taste of demonic power, and it is from those men that most of the world's arcane arts and tinted blood come from.

Hue is the primary magical component of blood - your blood's arcane properties are determined by its hue. Hue is pretty much impossible to change, so, well, you're stuck with it on your character whether you like it or not :laugh:

This is the blood spectrum:
1) Red
DJ2rszT.png

Red blood is the basic hue of humanity. I have red blood, and so do you probably :laugh:
Red blood is the flour from which you'll bake the bread of magic.
2) Bronze
EAJm7Cd.png

Bronze blood is one step above red blood.
3) Yellow
rrlgW8y.png

Yellow blood is the highest of the warmer hues.
Yellow is a pretty colour, isn't it?
4) Lime
XoRbBIT.png

Lime blood is the lower half of the green chunk of the spectrum.
Limes have a very special and useful property: they are immune to most magic that's done upon them, but they can neither practice it nor can their blood be used as a magic material.
5) Jade
8mmsduT.png

Jade blood is the upper half of the green chunk.
Jade doesn't have the special properties lime blood has, but it has its own perks as well.
6) Teal
U8hUDfC.png

Teal blood is on the lower end of the blue chunk.
Teal is pretty much the safest blue hue, since it's the highest human blood colour that isn't psychotic.
7) Blue
8UnCDQx.png

Blue blood is where things get really rather unsettling.
Those with blue blood are rather safe, but they have these occasional behavioural glitches that - after they wake up - leave them with a few dead friends or an arrow through the chest or knee :rolleyes:
8) Indigo
UGXyAAf.png

Indigo blood is like an upscale of blue blood.
Where bluebloods have an occasional glitch, indigos have a recurring bug: basically, anything can be a friend and a foe at the same time, but nothing can be just friend.
9) Violet
zOko0Yz.png

Violet blood is a more fishy thing.
Violetbloods are in far greater control over themselves; you'll probably have use of knowing that the trait description is a rather simple understatement.
They also have a few more personality traits, but I'm not revealing that now, am I :laugh:
(hint: no I'm not)

Blood hue is a genetics thing - the colour you bleed is determined by what your mother and father bled.
Blood colour inheritance is determined by a rather fancy inheritance system - you'll get different results if you change blood colour of one parent, but you'll also get a different result if you switch the parents' blood around. You'll probably have to go through an elaborate breeding program to get the blood colour you desire, sure, but sometimes you'll have to turn your family tree into a kudzu as well :confused:

Well, that's about it I think. I haven't said much on actual workings of magic, but that's intentional :laugh:

Last edited:
So, all the magic is blood magic. Cool.
I'm the first guy who likes blood related magic with (probably) ironical punishments by demons if used in the "wrong" way, but... Will we have the chance to contact with entities opposed to demons? I'd like to rule (at some point) an oppressive anti-demon, order focused realm. After all, for me at least, the best kind of evil is the one that coats itself with a thick layer of light...

So, all the magic is blood magic. Cool.
I'm the first guy who likes blood related magic with (probably) ironical punishments by demons if used in the "wrong" way, but... Will we have the chance to contact with entities opposed to demons? I'd like to rule (at some point) an oppressive anti-demon, order focused realm. After all, for me at least, the best kind of evil is the one that coats itself with a thick layer of light...

Yep, you definitely can. There are religions and realms of Order and Light, and there are those of Evil and Entropy. Aztecs are not that keen on magic, you know ;) *hint hint*

After all, to be honest, I'm basing the backbone of the world's cosmology on Zurvanist Zoroastrianism :laugh:

Hopefully, if I find something worth writing about :happy:

I'm not that far ahead when it comes to development since the mod is in its early stages. My safest bet would be to do another regional progress report, probably on Hispania and its history, but if I work really hard (read: drink a lot of coffee) and finish the de-jure stuff, I'll start work on cultures and/or religions.
Oh God there is so much fun religious stuff going on in the world you don't even know :laugh:

A suggestion on lore, religions and cultures (there seems to be nothing fully estabilished, yet, so I think suggestions should do fine):

don't do like Lux Invicta, do not overlook Oscan peoples like the Samnites. They're too interesting (albet not known enough) to be ignored.

A suggestion on lore, religions and cultures (there seems to be nothing fully estabilished, yet, so I think suggestions should do fine):

don't do like Lux Invicta, do not overlook Oscan peoples like the Samnites. They're too interesting (albet not known enough) to be ignored.

Ack, the Samnites (and Messapians and Umbrians) were already assimilated into mainstream Roman culture by the 4th century here :(
Though, there are Etruscans - I don't know how one can go without Etruscans. That's just silly and obscene, an Etruscan-less Europe alternate history :laugh: