• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ditto. I'll definitely use them because they're beautifully done and add much needed variety, but I'm personally waiting for the Byzantines (or the Italians, if you've any intent on doing them).

I do quite like how you added some more detail and/or contrasting to the black hair, so it's not just a sludge of black like it is with the vanilla portraits.

The hair is 'black' because it's necessary to be in grayscale for the layering of color. In-game, the range is blonde, brown, and black. The Cumans were known for having blonde hair, after all.

I will eventually get to other cultures, but my real life is unfortunately very busy. Exceptionally busy, as a matter of fact. I am finishing up the clothing for them right now. I want to get it out by this weekend.

Ah! Unnecessary double-post...

Anyways, some progress shots of the female headgear. I've had to confer with a Russian friend to track a lot of this down. Buuuuut... Anywho. Here y'all go.

jFAMW.png

Holy crap, that's awesome. Seriously Crackd we are blessed to have you... Clone yourself and get a clone working on every single culture mate. :D

Holy crap, that's awesome. Seriously Crackd we are blessed to have you... Clone yourself and get a clone working on every single culture mate. :D

You see, a long time ago, I told myself that if I found a clone of myself, it would inevitably lead to mortal combat. I've since hung the towel on my crazy genetic experiments, and have sought counseling on the matter. Plus, if my wife saw two of me, I'm fairly certain that she would go insane.

That being said, I've finished the headgear and now am working on the clothing. I would make more than 15-16 frames apiece, but, alas, I do not know how to code the properties file well at all.

Looks great. But are you sure about second image from the left? This cowboy-style hat looks strange... :)

It is the origin of the cowboy hat (at least, so said our wiki).

Looks great. But are you sure about second image from the left? This cowboy-style hat looks strange... :)

I promise that anything I put out comes from hours of research. (About 100 hours for this project alone, not including the painting, which totals around 400 hours combined thus far.) The Cumans wore some very funny hats. I could honestly put more of them on here, but without the skill to program the portrait_properties.txt file effectively; I'm self-limited.

Crackd what kind of clothes do you want to add? Pm me about it if you want I might be able to provide you with the code you need...I've added 3 new clothes/headgear frames for my stuff and they work properly so I guess my understanding of that file is good enough.

Crackd what kind of clothes do you want to add? Pm me about it if you want I might be able to provide you with the code you need...I've added 3 new clothes/headgear frames for my stuff and they work properly so I guess my understanding of that file is good enough.

I'm more interested in developed exclusionary modifiers. I don't want to "reinvent the wheel" with the properties file, but it would be nice to be able to program modifiers that were separate from each other, based on culture. Like, for instance, the "Emperor Hat" section is not really used for most everyone (since there are only limited options for emperors in-game). I would like to program it so that Germans, Byzantines, etc. can use it as the headgear for being an emperor, but everyone else just gets an extra crown. Or, to make the beard selection dependent on culture, but exclusionary. I don't want the modifiers for which beards the Pechenegs get for the Cumans, or vice-versa, messing up the assignment to Western cultures, for instance.

If they just let you assign a properties file for each graphical culture, that would handle it nicely. But, I don't think that they will.

Take a look at my properties file from BLC mate...it's got a lot of culture specific stuff...that's what I do assign facial hair differently for different cultures for example...a short quick example:

7 = { #thin moustache
factor = 1
modifier = {
factor = 6
culture = hungarian
}

modifier = {
factor = 6
culture = polish
}

modifier = {
factor = 6
culture = croatian
}

modifier = {
factor = 3
culture = levantine_arabic
}

modifier = {
factor = 0.25
culture = greek
}
}

Take a look at my properties file from BLC mate...it's got a lot of culture specific stuff...that's what I do assign facial hair differently for different cultures for example...a short quick example:

7 = { #thin moustache
factor = 1
modifier = {
factor = 6
culture = hungarian
}

modifier = {
factor = 6
culture = polish
}

modifier = {
factor = 6
culture = croatian
}

modifier = {
factor = 3
culture = levantine_arabic
}

modifier = {
factor = 0.25
culture = greek
}
}

I can handle that level of modifiers, haha. To take from my specific example, look at the vanilla entry for the first headgear slot. Now, I need to find a way to package that entire code section into a culture-specific descriptor, and then make everyone else who isn't Culture A or Culture B fit the bill as regular hats for nobility. For the cumans, for instance, I would like to be able to program more than one slot for duke-tier headgear, while leaving everyone else in Europe, using the same slots, alone.

This could also allows us to condense all religious headgear into one frame, if they could exclude one another. I doubt very highly that a Cuman is going to end up pope, but I still have to keep the Papal Tiara just in case. Condensing the gear into one slot could open up 4-7 frames depending on what religions you have gear for.

I'm sorry, but the lighting on something on their faces is kinda globby (On the far cheek). It detracts a lot from the really beautiful work you have here.

Which cheek and which frame?