Mission trees feedback thread; what would you like to see changed or added, and why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EarlKonrad

Field Marshal
38 Badges
Jun 18, 2018
  • Knights of Honor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
Cannot make promises but we will keep it in mind,

A thread in the Suggestions Forum collecting all the suggestions for missions would be really useful to have them all collected and take them as inspiration if the right time comes.

I'll start. Generally speaking, I don't like missions which give you modifiers that last a short time (10 to 25 years). They not only tend to not be that impactful but they also don't last long at all. anything less than 25 years is a drop in a bucket if you consider that EU 4 runs for almost 280 years and Golden Ages last for 50 years. I'd like seeing temp. buff lasting as low as 25 years and as high as 50 years across the board. This would make them feel much more impactful, even if they are something small like 5% morale (yes, it is small but can be situationally useful, I know) or 10% trade efficiency.

Mission specific, I'd like to see a couple of trees revisited. The Ottomans, while having a ton or permaclaims, feel really old and bland because they just get permaclaims and some naval related temporary bonuses. Your reward for conquering stuff is more stuff to conquer. While this is great at making the AI expand, it isn't as exciting as all the mission we've got since this system was introduced. It isn't even that newer missions are that much stronger because if we look at Byzantium's tree (which was day 1 DLC) it gives not only a ton of permaclaims but also some useful temporary bonuses to help you while you expand your nation. The Ottoman's tree also has no interaction at all with their unique mechanics (understandably so as they were created almost half a decade later). Byzantium, on the other hand, has some religious missions that grand them Patriarcal Authority which is neat.

Moving on to France, when their mission was first introduced there were a lot of players on the forum asking how to complete "L'État, c'est moi" as they were either struggling with getting average Autonomy so low or had no idea how to heck for it. If there were so many players struggling with that mission, maybe its requirements should be eased a bit or the game should better convey how to complete it. As its stands, the only (that I know of) way to check for average autonomy is to check for progress reform. Maybe this information could be made easier to access?

Scotland. I'd like to see their mission "Rule Britannia" either give at least a permanent modifier and/or have the duration of the buffs increased. As it stands 20 years is not enough to build a navy for Scotland. As you start out rather small and poor, by the time you complete that mission your finances won't afford you to take advantage of the cheaper navy so the player will either not finish it for half a decade and then finish it after they built a couple of manufactories and are making more ducats, or they will simply not make use of the bonuses. Most likely it will be saved for when/if the player wants to sink Spain's navy and the cheaper/faster navy portion will get ignored entirely in favour of the stronger navy portion.

Palemberg. According to the wiki they have a mission called "Orang Laut" which gives -10% Yearly Naval Tradition Decay. Is this correct? If so, how can you reduce twice the maximum decay amount? I don't own Leviathan so I have no way of checking this. On a similar note, according to the wiki The Iroquoian tree has a mission called "First Confederacy" which gives +10 tribal allegiance. Correct me if I'm wrong but tribal allegiance is only used by a couple of Arabic nations and not by any NA Native. And, if some do, shouldn't this mission also give something else for Natives that don't? I think these two are either wrong in the wiki or me not understanding them correctly but anyway.

In terms of New Missions what I'd like to see the most are unique missions for the nations that were the focus for Cradle of Civilization and a unique generic tree for Cossack nations. It is unfortunate that Third Rome nations got unique trees after this new system was implemented while we are still MISSING trees for Middle Eastern nations. Similarly, Cossack revolter nations have bugger all for content (but this is the topic for another thread). The least they could get is a small unique tree.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I will not repeat what has been said before about new missions trees , i will just add something new to the whole Tread.

For my point of view the country which has been ignored and having a bad or generic mission tree right now are :
Berber countries :
Tlemcen would be focus on restoring his autority over Maghreb interland and resisting against Maroc, Tunis and Ottomans.
Mzab is to try to restor Rustamid Emirate and own the Maghreb while convert it to Ibadism
Fezzan to do a "Sudanese expedition" for trade
Togghourt and Djerid has the objective to survive and own the Saharan and the trade cities/

French Minors : Toulouse can have a focus on Albigenses and restoring Septimania
Gascony : Aquitaine kingdom and getting his old core back

In Arabia : Yemen
Persia only get 5 missions which is sadly very low. Ardabil should have really his own tree

• 2Like
Reactions:
Extra note

Iroquoians missions still have "add_tribal_allegiance" in situation when cannot have gov. "Tribal Federation" with
24px-Yearly_tribal_allegiance.png
tribal allegiance mechanism

Maybe good would be give option to ger "Tribal Federation" by other nations?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Kilwa's new "expand kilwa" mission requires 20 dev on capital and the monument in kilwa to be exactly tier 2. Having upgraded it to tier 3 im now unable to complete the mission unless i release vassal and reconquer it, forcing it back to tier 1. I think the mission was intended to require the monument to be at least tier 2 instead of exactly tier 2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some countries have missions that enable interesting game mechanics, for example:
  • Buddha as personal deity can only be unlocked by Majapahit, Sunda, or Khmer
  • Propagation of Hindu via trading policy can only be unlocked by Majapahit
It seems illogical that these features are available only to specific tags. While there are other tag-specific mechanics in game, e.g. Prussia and some other countries have unique mechanics unlocked by their uinique government types, it's not the same, because their unique mechanics are integral part of their governments and not something extra achieved by missions. I think these particular mechanics should be made available to larger set of Hindu countries, for example by giving them similar missions.

Reactions:
Could you make an example?

Ottoman tree gives a ton of claims, yes it can be boring, but it guides AI to expand in historically plausible way.
I opened a thread about it here - even it got bit outdated over time. I think there are lot to add to open road to extend Ottoman territories, instead of directly adding claims. Diplomatic connections, naval engagement, some developments inside like construction of great Mosque (s) etc.
Also Ottoman tree should probably represent Janissary Coup and open up way to reform your army:

Russia and minors
I think, that evolution of serfdom and/or emancipation reform should be locked in missions and/or privileges. This will be better form to representation, that serfdom and problem of reforms wasn't "whim of tsar and elites" but more deeper, many-faced problem.

Poland, Lithuania and PLC
Here should be also missions focused on "solution zaporozhian problem". Cossacks were problem and solution at the same time. In longed period lead to great crisis, rebelions and intervetion of Russia.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don't like the permanent tag wide modifier buffs that seem to be everywhere as capstone missions. I do like permanent provincial buffs though, as they usually have a lot of flavour behind them and aren't gamebreaking. I also like permanent "buffs" like access to a special mercenary company, or modifiers that actually meaningfully change established strategies (like a very large mercenary buff that can only be acquired lategame, or missions that spawn events that allow you to pick an obviously powerful buff that comes with an obviously costly drawback)

• 1Like
Reactions:
More generic missions.
Situational instead of TAG-related missions.

Reactions: