• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unmerged(24047)

Recruit
Dec 28, 2003
The large entrance of the MIDA headquarters in Eutopia City haven't changed much in the last years.

In the hall, after the metal detectors check, a large informations desk welcomes the visitors. On the wall, behind the desk, hangs a large bronze plate:

Eutopian
Ministry of Infrastructure
and Domestic Affairs

The office of the Minister is located in the top floor. In the entrance hall there are three doors. On the left, a press briefing room is open for the ministerial comunications to the medias, on the right a large meeting room for the Minister's staff.

The private office of the minister is behind the central door. The office is very neat, a large old desk with a leather chair behind it stands in front of the entrance, few papers and some photo frames are orderly placed on the desk.
In front of the desk, a few chairs are placed for visitors. The walls are almost empty, only the insignia of the LIRA and a large ancient looking map of Eutopia hang from the wall. A large library covers the left wall.
A smaller desk is in one corner, a LCD computer screen on it.
Near the minister's desk, the Eutopian flag.

The office is OPEN.

A call comes in from the President.
"Thomas, you didn't need to resign your seat in the General Assembly. I understand you will not be able to spend as much time there, but until the UMP can find a replacement, it would be better if you kept your seat, and if you did nothing more than vote, that would be fine."

"Glad to hear that, Loic, i hoped that the party could find a substitute, but if you have nothing against it, then i'm more than happy to keep the seat in the GA."

After dealing out with the GA seat problem, McGrath called his segretary:

"Miss Van Dyne, can you please contact Director Joover and ask him to come here? I think it's good for us to meet, now."

Last edited:
Truman phones the new MIDA...
Congratz with your appointment Thomas! You'll be available for the LIRA now? The situation at ENDTech wants you for the inspectors. I'll hope nothing happens, but you never know. By the way: just use live ammo. In case anything to wrong your men need to prepared, and best way is the way they trained... You've never used rubber bullets so... that's clear. Braxton is in command but, you are in command for your direct units. Please do not try to do something to stupid... but hell, why am I saying that... Good Luck! For God and ENDTech :p

The vaguely roly-poly Hedgar Joover, more often a voice on a phone than actually seen in person, arrives within minutes of the Minister's summons, clad in a brown tweed suit and toting a battered briefcase. "What can I do for you, Per Minister?"

"Director Joover, i'm glad you came. First of all i wanted to mett you in person, since we'll be collaborating in the next months. Second, and more important, what can you tell me about the ECB bombing investigations?"

A message arrives from the President.
Per McGrath,

I am glad you decided to keep your seat in the GA as well running this ministry. During my term as MIDA, I did little with regard to the rail infrastructure, so it might be in need of some of your attention. How is the progress going on the construction of the extension of the Interprovincial Highway System to Uxbridge going and are their any other extension you would consider? Since you are also in the GA, it would be a good idea to introduce a bill to move the funding of that back into the budget, instead of leaving it in the more expensive Trust set up last term. Perhaps you could revive the bill considered last term, except the amount should be raised to 1 billion ducats to cover construction and interest.

You could also consider something to appropriate 2 billion ducats for security retrofits and to cover increasing the size of FLEA. I increased the number of cadets in the FLEA academy, but you will need funding to keep them when they come onto the force.

Regards,

"Well, Per Minister, I've already briefed the President. There's not much to tell, other than we're considering the case closed. We've captured a sizeable portion of the Friends of Durruti, all of their leadership, and we've pinpointed Cornelius Dank as the brains behind the operation. We're also putting together cases against a number of the Friends who, according to our investigation, were responsible for planning, supplying or executing the bombing. We'll send these along to the prosecutors when they're done.

"I was planning on announcing all this for public consumption later today, at the President's urging." He glances at his watch. "Anything else you need to know, Per Minister?"

"Good to hear that, Per Director, i just wanted to hear it directly from you. Only one thing, Per Director. My predecessor, now sitting in the diamond office, advised me to plan an increasing in FLEA fundings, as he alredy boosted the recruitements. Study the problem with calm, i think i can leave you to your statement, and i apologize for using your precious time" Major McGrath raises and shake Joover's hand.

Major McGrath is in his office, in front of the window, looking out.
On his large desk, a few maps and plans of the national tranposrtation system are laid.
He picked up the phone:
"Miss Van Dyne, could you please prepare a report for me on the state of the Highway and Rail system? I am specifically interested in how the aquisition is going, and wich areas are still unconnected with the system. Thanks."

OOC: sorry for the lame way for the request, but the state of the Transport System is not very clear...if the Mods could help me, it would be great, instead if there isn't much planned, i could just assume a few reasonable things and go on.

Files are dropped on the Minister's desk.

Maps of the current transportation infrastructure

An old news report:

Engineering Audit Critical of Infrastructure

An independent national audit of Eutopia's infrastructure by the Eutopian Association of Professional Engineers (EAPE) gave the nation a strong "NEEDS IMPROVEMENT" in grading the safety and effectiveness of the country's rail lines, water, natural gas, and sewer systems, dams and bridges.

The nation's highway system did receive a passing grade though it was suggested some routes were underutilized and that perhaps the system may be "overbuilt", but the quality of the roads themselves was deemed sufficient.

"We hope the government will pay attention to this audit," said lead project director Robert Beadle, PE, "This is about more than dollars and cents, this is about public safety".

The (In)Famous Langley Report

- Voshkod

Thomas looks at the pile of papers, thanks the employee who brought the files, then makes the fatal request:

"Miss Van Dyne, coffee please. Ah, and make it pitch black, please..."

The secretary politely let Major Braxton in the office, where the Minister is sitting behind his desk.
As soon as Braxton walks in the door, McGrath stood up and greeted the guest:
"Major Braxton, glad to see you, how are you? And our dear ENDTech? Still the Tilapians all aorund? How can i help you?"

Hello Major McGrath ENDTech is fine and the Tilapians are still around. But that is not what I have came to talk to you about. I am here because I have been told that Ihave to get hold of a license for the ships that are going to operate as a ferries to new Bengal and across the bay to St. Esprit.

"Ah, yes, i saw the ads of your new company! Ok, the certificates you need can be arranged quite soon."

McGrath walks to the library on the opposite side of the office, looking at the various thick books lined. He stops his finger on one of them.
"Here we are, Maritime legislation."

He turns back to the desk and starts looking for the right page.
"All right, Major Braxton, your ships must be inspectioned by MIDA personnel to see if they meet the security and technical requirements. Then they must be checked to see if they carry a black box recording the navigation datas, for legal reasons. After that, every 12 months another inspection will be carried on by the MIDA.
That's all, i will call the Navigation department right away, to prepare things for the inspections. How else can i help you?"

Hapsburg walks in, carrying a small box full of documentsand stationary:
"Okay, everyone, I am now in charge here."

"Miss Van Dyne... that is your name, is it not? Can you please call Mr. Joover? There is something I need to talk to him about."

Joover turns up a short time later. "Pleasure to meet you, Per Minister. It's a shame that this ugly business with Truman is what brought you in. Something I can do for you?"

I'd like a report on any activities by subversives, insurgents, or what not. What is our current intel on these kinds of people?

Status
Not open for further replies.