• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyone else get an interesting bug when you turn Holland into a republic and make Dirk V the grand mayor, you start off with double the starting patrician families than normal? I assume it's the fact that he's a child because the problem fixed itself when I gave the republic to an adult.

Anyone else get an interesting bug when you turn Holland into a republic and make Dirk V the grand mayor, you start off with double the starting patrician families than normal? I assume it's the fact that he's a child because the problem fixed itself when I gave the republic to an adult.

Double the Patrician families? That seems like a really bad thing. :laugh: I shall test the bug.

I tested the bug, using method A. I took away the duchy and counties of Holland after giving the lad the city; then I gave him back the counties and the duchy. There were 4 patrician family vassals. Could not reproduce.

I post just to say thank you and that your guide helped a lot.

Thank you, the kind words of encouragement make me feel that the time I put into this and the mistakes I made along the way were worth it if people are using it to create their custom Republic games. :D

Then I suppose it just a one time bug/glitch. I probably would have kept it with 8 families, just to make things a bit more interesting, if it didn't spam out the election viewing window.

Then I suppose it just a one time bug/glitch. I probably would have kept it with 8 families, just to make things a bit more interesting, if it didn't spam out the election viewing window.

Yeah I don't think that would have worked with the Republic tab.

OK, so someone asked the question of how to make the Hansa in-game in 1066, thinking you could form the league if you met requirements. Some of the helpful modders like Jordarkelf popped in with the scoop: the game needs to be past 1170, you have to be a count/duke lord of one of the Hansa's territories, must be German and Christian, and be vassal to the Christian HRE, and finally must NOT be the player. What? You can't be the player? Well that's bummer.

Inspired, I went ahead and found the titular title of the Hanseatic League: k_hansa and created a sample Hansa at the start of the game:

YesHansa.jpg

Go forth, mein Hansas!

I started off as Toirdelbhach Ua Briain in Ireland in 1175. He holds Dublin at this stage. I revoked the county and the city of Dublin and gave the city, then the county to my heir Muircheartach. Bid my time, took about 5 years, to afford the duchy of Meath, then I gave to my heir, creating Irish patricians even though the county itself is Norse. Reloaded then as Muircheartach. It's a bit difficult for the rival families to get going, especially since they have no real holdings. Events involving ships coming into harbour give them a start off, but for real competition I decided to conquer a few cities and give them to my rivals (and my heir, no point going nuts). So now I have an Ua Briain merchant republic of Dublin, and have two lines of the dynasty which can provide me with potential heirs (it's wise to invite them over though, and see them change into their merchant clothes). Dublin has trading posts all around the North-Western Isles and has no become pre-eminent in the Most Serene Republic of Ireland.

I started off as Toirdelbhach Ua Briain in Ireland in 1175. He holds Dublin at this stage. I revoked the county and the city of Dublin and gave the city, then the county to my heir Muircheartach. Bid my time, took about 5 years, to afford the duchy of Meath, then I gave to my heir, creating Irish patricians even though the county itself is Norse. Reloaded then as Muircheartach. It's a bit difficult for the rival families to get going, especially since they have no real holdings. Events involving ships coming into harbour give them a start off, but for real competition I decided to conquer a few cities and give them to my rivals (and my heir, no point going nuts). So now I have an Ua Briain merchant republic of Dublin, and have two lines of the dynasty which can provide me with potential heirs (it's wise to invite them over though, and see them change into their merchant clothes). Dublin has trading posts all around the North-Western Isles and has no become pre-eminent in the Most Serene Republic of Ireland.

Giving territory to your rivals? You so crazay.

Sorry for my bad english
Thanks! Hansa is only republic? If i add the title k_hansa i'll become a republic?

This is actually an interesting question, so I tested. But no. The titles are 'neutral' - they only have what you could call a 'level of authority' - which is to say, a Barony, County, Duchy, Kingdom, Empire level of authority. The role of the CHARACTER who receives the title is what decides what sort of realm the title represents. And the role of any landed character is essentially determined by their primary holding. If you give a title like k_hansa to a landless courtier, they will become a King, just as if you gave it to any Baron, Count, or Duke, and the title will be the Kingdom of the Hansa. If you give it to a Bishop, Prince-Bishop, etc, the title will be the Theocracy of the Hansa, and they'll become a King-Bishop. But give it to a Mayor or Lord Mayor, and they will become Prince Mayor of the Republic of the Hansa.

This is why it's essential, if you want to make a Republic, to make the character you want as the leader of your Republic a Mayor, so you can then grant him a ducal or higher title, which will create a Republic with him at the head.

Strange, because before I had the republic (but already had 1.9) usurping the Duchy of Pisa I had a game over because I became a Republic....

This is most likely due to your use of in-game methods, although that should probably be regarded as a bug - a feudal lord usurping the Duchy shouldn't convert his government style. I just tested by loading up a count when the Hansa already exist and gave myself the title k_hansa. He became king of the Hansa.

It might also be because k_hansa is a titular title (it has no de jure provinces attached to it) whereas Pisa is a Duchy with de jure territory.

Edit: I just gave myself the title of d_pisa, taking it from the existing Republic, and it didn't change me into a Republic. Doing it via Usurp in-game probably might have given you the title Most Serene Republic of Pisa along with the Ducal title.

Final edit: I loaded up as a count and gave myself the one of the counties in Pisa so I had 50% of the de jure counties, then usurped the title Republic of Pisa. It converted to the Duchy of Pisa and I became a Duke. Couldn't reproduce your bug.

Last edited:
Because his heir is not your heir, especially if his primary title is a grand city.

In my only republican game so far, I find that giving cities (grand cities) to dynasty members is a no-go because of this. The heirs to them will be determined like 1-county republics: open elective, random heir, not your dynasty. And this means you lose the control of them as your "demesne" or direct control if you are not the doge at the moment.

On the other hand you can give your dynasts feudal baronies in the counties you own directly (as a lord mayor). By that, the baronies continue to be in control of your dynasty as they follow Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind. Yes, they will marry and take a share of the profits but it's gonna be in good use, they upgrade the castle. And they can have some money already when and if you jump to them in some case. If they die out, there are always a dynasty member to inherit the barony AND the money. Additional bonus: they gather up prestige for your dynasty all the time. And for themselves which is handy in Doge elections. If imbeciles or other not so bright individuals are born into my family, I appoint them to bishopric heirs and remove them from succession to both castles and the family business (Patrician family - the character you always play).

I know this sounds illogical. The logic would state that when you are a burgher you should make your heirs and kids to mayors and Lord Mayors but no, it's more handy to give them castle baronies under your cities (and elsewhere in the republic). So, in a sense, your family is both burgher and feudal in the same time, in the same realm!

What's the guide for being a republic that's non-merchant?

I've noticed something a bit strange and was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I figured out how to create republics using the console on my own by messing around for about an hour. Anyway, after I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing, I created my first real republic in the Isle of Mann. I gave the guy the city and the county and everything was normal. The weird part was when I used the console to give_title d_the_isles. Instead of usurping the title from the pre-existing Duke like I thought would happen, it actually created a Titular Republic of the Isles with a coat of arms identical to that of the Isle of Mann.

However, when I used this method elsewhere, I was unable to get a similar result. I always ended up usurping the duchy rather than getting a titular republic, which I found was actually preferable, as I liked the challenge of having to fight off the duke's de jure claims to my land. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew why only The Isles did this, or if anyone found any other title that does this.

What's the guide for being a republic that's non-merchant?

1) You don't without modding. Any Republic that gains ducal or higher level authority becomes a merchant republic. You can't select lower (count) level Republics to play as (the greyed-out Play button informs you: "Cannot play as Republics!"). If you become one in-game you get Game Over.

2) Are you THE Sid Meier?

Here my simple advice forming early in the game a german republic.
1. Start as Lubeck, ask HRE for vassization, after you got it, save.
2. Open this save as HRE grant city, castle etc of Lubeck to a free noble man
3. Grant him a duke title, favorable, of Holstein (for later expansion Hamburg, Bremen) voila you are Großregent of Holstein

I've noticed something a bit strange and was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I figured out how to create republics using the console on my own by messing around for about an hour. Anyway, after I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing, I created my first real republic in the Isle of Mann. I gave the guy the city and the county and everything was normal. The weird part was when I used the console to give_title d_the_isles. Instead of usurping the title from the pre-existing Duke like I thought would happen, it actually created a Titular Republic of the Isles with a coat of arms identical to that of the Isle of Mann.

However, when I used this method elsewhere, I was unable to get a similar result. I always ended up usurping the duchy rather than getting a titular republic, which I found was actually preferable, as I liked the challenge of having to fight off the duke's de jure claims to my land. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew why only The Isles did this, or if anyone found any other title that does this.

Crater, you're right to recall that the Duke of the Isles used to hold the title Duchy of the Isles. It was actually titular then - I know because I couldn't usurp it when I started as the Earl of Mann. But they've now given him a de jure ducal title of Soreyar that encompasses most of the de facto territory he starts with in 1066. The code for it is d_western_isles.

Just keep in mind that if you give yourself a de jure title held entirely by someone else, after the grace period they can usurp the title if you haven't reduced their holdings in that area below 50%. If that happens you'll become a regular count-level Republic, and it's instant Game Over.