META THREAD: Warlock Wishlist - Post ALL your Suggestions here...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a strategy 4x-game, it was not built on the engine used for Civ V. From what I've read, it actually was based on the Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy.

I can see the similarities looks-wise myself, but I can also remember playing hexagon board games 30 years ago, it does not mean the Civ 5 uses their engine.

It has nothing to do with the Engine of Civ 5, though I believe the company did admit that they felt they need to make a call to Firaxis and have a conversation to make sure it wouldn't be a problem. It's out, so obviously it wasn't. 4x-hexagon based games are going to look like that, it is just that simple.

Kind of surprising how many people are confusing this. Different companies completely.

Whether the engine is exactly the same or not, they appear virtually identical. From the units not stacking, the way cities defend themselves, the way units can convert to their own water transport, etc. Even the graphics for the terrain are virtually identical. There is no confusion....aside from a few minor changes in the games economy, this is basically a civ 5 mod.

I want research times to be more heavily scaled. When you hit mid game most spells take 1 or 2 turns to research, especially if you've found a healthy amount of excavations.

Couple more items:

More unit variety. I guess this goes to my earlier point about more races.

A lower emphasis on zerging or city spamming. Part of the draw in a game like this is that the cities are unique and "special". With the way this plays out, it tends to be a game of make as many cities as possible and you quickly lose interest.

Upgradable buildings, in lieu of building them side-by-side would be nice. The current set up tends to sprawl your city out over what appears to be like half a continent. It starts to look a bit goofy.

Senario starts would be cool as well.

I would like to be able to access the Unity spell :)

It would be nice if there were unique spells that could only be picked on the mage creation screen or were otherwise unique to each mage.

I'd love to see more levelling up perks, and branches thereof. Some ideas are: extra attack range (without a spotter or extra sight range it wouldn't be of benefit), bonus vs type (e.g. armour vs dragons, damage vs elementals).

More types of loot would be neat, such as a unique bonus for the unit that claimed it or monsters which can reflect your current deity.

My only other request so far is that the level number text is altered so it's more readable. It's currently white on yellow and I have to strain to make out a unit's level!

Sunjah: Movement is colour coded, so you can work out how many turns it will take to travel by the colour of the cursor. Blue is within one turn, that's the one I normally look for.

Here are my list of things I would like to see.

Most of them have already been mentioned, but I repeat them of emphasis.

1. Customizable world setup. (number of neutral cities, roaming monsters, climate settings( Desert, Mountains, Jungle, Volcanic, etc.))
2. Let me refuse AI player demands without having to declare war.
3. AI relations oversight (let me know if the AI hates me or likes me)
4. Have the AI players sometimes offer an incentive, (gold, mana, units, land) when suing for peace.
5. More information about spells, buildings and resource nodes, right now we only get the basic information such as cost of using/constructing and upkeep. I would like to see more information about the buildings, spells and resource nodes before I use/build them.
6. Let me set the victory conditions, how long the game should last in turns, and the pace of the game
7. More information about the different perks, and how they affect my units. (An example here is the perk "Challenged by the labyrinth", from the minotaur labyrinth. I have no idea what this does or how it affects my troops.)

I have yet to complete a single game because by the time I get to around turn 35-40 I have so many things happening at once to I have a hard time keeping up with it all.
I have too many cities over too large an area to be able to effectively defend all of them at once, since I have a limited number of troops to defend them with.
Monsters seem to always attack my most distant cities while my troops are busy trying to conquer a neutral city elsewhere

Last edited:
One very simple change to improve the AI: the AI currently attacks my units that are immune to certain damage (like ghosts) types so it completely wastes its turn / unit. It should check whether it can damage a unit at all first, then attack. Otherwise, it shouldn't attack and do something else instead.

BandC: Or if it attacks and gets the immunity response it could set a flag and try another course of action?

It shouldn't even attempt attacking an immune unit. I (the player) can see that a unit is immune beforehand. The computer has the same information so it shouldn't even try attacking.

So long as it's completely immune. If it has another damage type it may still be worthwhile to hack away at the unit.

I agree on that. But I have seen cases where it attacked even I was completely immune.

By the way, since this thread is stickied now can the original poster or someone else can combine all suggestions in the original post as they are posted? There are so many suggestions and it becomes hard to follow.

If right-click opens a popup window, right-clicking on it should close it again.
Option to centre on an idle unit.
More hot-keys.
Army ledger; I'd like to see all my current units at a glance.
Larger spell list window.
VSync; screen tearing is quite bad on fast cards.
Borderless windowed mode.
Fix black mini-map issue.

Hotseat. (Unless it's in there somewhere that I haven't seen.)

Hey guys,

Just finished my first game on normal and here are my thoughts on what i'd like to see added/changed.

8) Temple quests and temple units. It would be nice if temple quests would only "pop" when youre in control of a holy ground and or able to build the appropriate temple. Additionally I would like the game to NOT be able to prompt you to build a temple you have already built. It would also be great if the tooltip for the unit unlocked with the temples tooltip would show which unit it upgrades. Some are very obvious but others are not.

I would say this should go for any building quest.
I lost count of the number of times I have gotten a quest to build a harbor when I either have more than one or my city is nowhere near water.
I even get it at the start of the game, with my city nowhere near water and I have yet to even find any water I build a city at so I can build a harbor for the quest.

* Kingdom overview: lists for cities, units at least.
* Indication which new spell was just learned
* Indication of ownership for territories (currently I can't even know that I battle with some kind of neutral city)
* More variety to spells. Raise mountains, earthquake, volcano, rain - would be examples.
* Better to change current selection of spells to research. We have too many spells we do not like to use (not exactly because they bad). Research time may be increased the same time.
* Some way to handle city development. Either auto options or ability to choose a set of buildings/tiles in advance.
* Some way to allow units (heroes) to cast spells is very welcome.
* Yeah - heroes and artifacts! And add some quests to them as well - like searching into Ancient Towers!

Whether the engine is exactly the same or not, they appear virtually identical. From the units not stacking, the way cities defend themselves, the way units can convert to their own water transport, etc. Even the graphics for the terrain are virtually identical. There is no confusion....aside from a few minor changes in the games economy, this is basically a civ 5 mod.

Interface and gameplay similarities don't mean that the engine is similar, a game engine is a different thing. (And the terrain graphics is quite different than in Civ5 IMO).

Spell research should have spell-tree (if it's already in then it should be visible) so that researching spells is not some random business. Also slower research scaling of high level spells to balance spell researching later on.
Better organized upgrade list for units. Right now it's just long list of whichever upgrade was applied first. Sort it by Offense/Defense/Utility then alphabetically within those three categories.
Better world build options (sea level, resource level, etc.). Victory mode selection too.
Town improvements that have tile based affects like increasing effects of adjacent tiles. Improvement placement should be more than just making a road for your units to travel through.

That is simply not true. Here is what Rockpapershotgun said on the matter.

Aha! There’s the word I’d managed to avoid until now. ‘Civilisation’. Warlock looks a lot like Civilisation V and it plays a bit like all of them, as the previous paragraphs have hopefully made clear. Magic takes the place of science, pumpkin patches take the place of bananas and firestorms take the place of nuclear strikes. Put that to one side though because it’s where the comparisons break apart like a ship in a kraken’s grip that Warlock becomes a more interesting proposition than Civ with goblins.

1. More customizations for cities. I guess roads, walls, etc would be a nice addition.
2. Slower spell research. The rate you get spells is too high, where after a dozen turns you get a lot of spells, and some useless ones. Slower rate and more powerful spells would do the trick.
3. Bonus for units only in the cities they are built at. Maybe its me but I think the ability to upgrade your unit at anytime and anywhere is kinda lame. When I played the first time, I enjoyed the fact that some cities were able to produce certain units, while other dont, to the point where I would refer my mages as the Wizards of Icelake, or the Dwarves of Goldbridge, or even the Forges of Doria.
4. More races, units, spells, etc. :happy:

0. Keyboard shortcuts keys.
1. Global spells (like all friendly units in my territory heal 1HP each turn, raise mountains, curse enemies...)
2. Map editor (IMO it would make the game play so much better and allow for creating capaigns as you allready have quests...endless possibilities)
3. Human archers seem to weak later on (even when upgraded and with perks) they should be able to move after shooting or at least shoot from 2 hexes otherwise i have no need of them. They are only good for sight range. Or at least give them dodge against fire elementals so they dont get one shooted.
4. I've heard that other realms have only one entrance, kind of silly IMO, would be more interesting and challenging if you have to watch your back.
5. Diplomacy needs more options...
6. Two fire elementals should have really tough job killing each other.
7. Kind of silly if you destroy a capital city the all powerful warlock didn't teleport away in another city (at least add it under game options, or at least give a spell to change capital city)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.