• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's one large empire, indeed. I'm sort of hoping it all falls apart some time and you're left with the more traditional 'Italian' holdings. Someone about the scale bothers me - though that's not to say it impedes my enjoyment of this AAR. Very good stuff!

The new king looks very promising, and I'm liking the heraldic reshuffle. Good job on fitting Zollern in a chapé-ployé - I much prefer that to the old impalement.

Looking forward to seeing what's next for Italia.

The formed nations in 1523 (as far as I know):

1368: Brittany (from Blois) - since annexed by France
1490: Prusse (from OT)
1495: Sardinia-Piemonte (from Savoy) - since became Italy
1501: Italy (from Sardinia-Piemonte)
1513: Bavaria (from Munchen)

You handled those wars fairly well. Nice work in Italy and I hope it all goes well for you there.
Venice being annexed by Austria would have done it for you. The claim counts your provinces, your vassal's provinces, and the provinces of your unions. It does not count vassals of unions.

If you're having problems with war exhaustion, perhaps a break from all the fighting would be a good option. I mean, it might go against the spirit of 'Big Ruler' and all, but seriously you're unchallengeable at this point. I'm probably echoing what DensleyBlair said - unless you actually have a particular objective like world conquest or taking all of Europe, the constant unrelenting expansion of the empire just seems ... excessive. Certainly not peaceful expansion at all.

I try to make RP choices rather than wise Gamer choices. Louis made several bad choices, that his father did not do (and that his son won't do):

1) He gambled a lot about wars. The war with Karaman is the perfect example: it was supposed to be a simple, fast war against a small opponent but ended up a mega eastern war against every single muslim state. The attack of the Pope is another: he was certain Castille will stay neutral...
2) He divided his troops a lot. Having to fight simultaneously in England, Castille, Turkey, Italy and Libya means less troops on each battlefield, so more lost battles, more loss at every battle, longer wars...
3) His infamy went up from 16 (after the vassals release) to 29 (at his death) in 40 years. This means he extended way faster than he was supposed to. which leads to two consequences:
4) Higher revolt rate through the Empire, so a lot of unnecessary battles, rising WE, rising revolt rate
5) A lot of new territory to defend, which means a lot of new recruits to hire. This means that while the MP reserve at the beginning of the war was sufficient to afford the "quick war" strategy of Louis, it was way depleted by the middle of the war, sky rocketing WE.

Sure, Louis was an administrator as he moved his capital and founded successfully two different new nations. I think I've overplayed his military personality to compensate :(

However, I'm wondering if it was not a good thing for the AAR perspective: I love Philippe, I really do, but this guy is boring. Always picking wars that he can easily win, taking cautious decisions even when there is no risk... At least going full war against Castille, England and Portugal with the Turks on my back and revolts popping everywhere had some suspense in it :p

I'll post Round XIX tonight or tomorrow morning.

I have an issue though... WC is not a realistic option at this stage, but I'm kinda playing on a day-by-day basis right now. Missions are not achievable quickly (convert Alexandria has been on for decades now), so I'm missing some medium-terms goals, so I'd like your feedback....

I'm already ~30 years into Philippe's reign, so these objectives might or might not be considered for his rule, but I'd like to see what your objectives might be, to compare them to mine and/or give me some for the next rulers....

Here are some ideas (I haven't realized all of them, and I've realized some others)

* rule (directly or via vassals/unions) all the shores from Gibraltar to Ceuta [including Islands but I already have all of them in the med.]
* become Emperor
* become Holy Emperor
* Achieve territorial continuity (directly or via vassals/unions) from Denmark to Senegal
* Rally my Red Sea harbors by sea
* discover and establish a colony in America
* discover and establish a colony in the Indian Ocean
* conquer at least 6 of the 10 enclaves mentioned previously
* force-convert the Hussites

Thanks!

Rule the Mediterranean. Keep Europe Catholic. Become an emperor of some sort (either title or HREmperor). Colonialism in Asia.

Round XIX (1506-1516): Under Attack

main_0_banniere.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. Last time, Louis I conquered the crown of Hungary, fought the Muslims in Turkey and Egypt, and found Italy, leading to a war with England, Castilla and Portugal! He ultimately diedLadies and Gentlemen, please welcome Philippe II de Savoie, Re d'Italia, Rei d'Aragó, Magyarország Királya, Knjaže Bălgarija, Erzherzöge Österreich, Duc de Lorraine, Duce de Milano, Graft von Hohenzollern.

italie.png

Philippe: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: Philippe, you are the new King of Italy, with a very powerful presence in the Mediterranean. What can we expect from this round?

Philippe: This is an interesting question Ray. I want my reign to be the one which reconciles Italy with Europe. We spent too many years fighting our brothers there. We are exhausted, so are our neighbors, while the real enemy is at our doors.

George: You mean Muslims?

Philippe: Yes. They are waiting for the chance to enter back in Europe. We have to rest, reinforce, and be ready to fight.

Ray: What about all these small European enclaves inside the commonwealth?

Philippe: They are no threat. We have great relations with most of them, we should enhance these relations.

George: And Hussites?

Philippe: We will have to be cautious. They are more and more aggressive, as we saw in Anjou lately. Hussites will never be tolerated in Italy, but as long as they do not threaten us directly, we will not intervene into other nations businesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George: I think we will see Italy intervene against the Hussites quickly than Philippe thought, as Austria is having a huge problem right now...

1506_6.png

Ray: Nearly 120,000 Hussites are revolting through Austria. This is enough to oversize Philippe's defenses over there, and make Austria an Hussite kingdom....

George: I doubt Philippe will tolerate it. 45,000 Italians are sent as reinforcements. Their orders are to focus on the 41,000 besieging Istria, before helping the regular Army chasing the revolted. The situation is getting better by March 1507, after a series of decisive battles. The entire de Savoie family is involved, since Anton II, Duke of Saxony, also takes part in this campaign.

1507_3.png

Ray: This is a very huge fight. It seems that the Hussites have the power to take over any nation right now, except the most powerful like Poland, Castille or Italy.

George: It seems so. It is a shame that Philippe is not willing to fight in Europe, because this would make for a lot of targets...

Ray: And while Italy is cleaning out Austria's mess, Fez is unexpectedly winning a war against France.

George: Indeed. They captured some of France's North African colonies, as well as the Saintes Region, between Italy and Anjou. Now Italy is enclaving two Fezzian areas, in Barqa and Xaintonge, and have a border with Fez mainland via the Italian holdings in the Sirt area...

Ray: We have been at peace since March 1506, this makes more than 3 years... Do you think Philippe can take a shot here?

George: He should. Fez won the war with France, but it happened at a cost. If he wants to take them down, it has to be now. He declares war in June, and quickly moves his troops into the three areas.

1509_6.png

Ray: As always, the Muslims states are defending themselves. In November, Anazah decides to attack Italy.

1509_11.png

George: Anazah is a tiny state, they lost a war against Jalayirids lately, so their defending force is 5,000 men, while Savoy has a total of 38,000 men in four adjacent provinces. Anazah's move can be seen as stupid, but the Muslims always helps one each other. We saw that under Louis' reign already. If the Europeans would have done the same every time Fez or the Ottomans were messing around, I'm sure there will not be any Muslim threat anymore in the Mediterranean.

Ray: Stupid move indeed. Anazah is annexed in 3 weeks.

George: The 42,000 men deployed on the Tunisian front are progressing properly. Fez army stays nearby but does not engage Italy while they siege one town after the other.

1510_3.png

Ray: What kind of strategy is that from Fez?

George: This is not really a strategy. Their entire force is maybe 15,000 men right now, most of them in Morocco. They will have to deploy their troops in a defensive line to prevent Italy's progress as soon as they can regroup.

Ray: In the mean time, Italy is under attack. In April 1510, Eretna takes its chance.

George: The Syrian troops can take care of it, as well as Bulgaria, Trebizon and the Knights... Philippe focuses on North Africa. Here is the situation in June, making good progress. We can see the two beachhead Italian armies progressing Westward, forcing Fez armies to retreat, waiting for reinforcements.

1510_6.png

Ray: Reinforcements arrives during spring 1511, and Fez immediately attacks Italy. Eretna attacks it too at that time.

George: Yes, but Italy now has technical superiority. I can't imagine any African nation, besides Mali and Kanem Bornu, resisting Italy right now. We saw how quickly Kanem Bornu annexed Makruria. They are a real potential threat.

1511_5.png

Ray: With the defending armies defeated, this lets Fez and Eretna territories wide open for Italy.

George: Indeed. In July the wars are won already.

1511_7.png

Ray: You are right. In January 1512, peaces are achieved with Fez and Eretna. Eretna is annexed, which gives Italy a border with the Blue Horde. A few hours only after this peace treaty, the Horde attacks Italy.

1512_2.png

George: This is not really a threat. The Horde is suffering right now. Moscow and Poland's superiority lead the Horde to loose land against them, and weakened their Eastern borders, which allowed the White Horde and the Timurids to seize land.

Ray: Still, this means no peace for Italy.

George: Yes. And since Italian's colonization policy is more than rudimentary, Italy will not be able to exploit that war. They have to do their best to peace out quickly.

Ray: You are right. As long as Italy is at war against a Muslim nation, other nations will try to exploit that situation. This is the case for a Karaman-Kanem Bornu alliance in October...

1512_10.png

George: This might be challenging. There is a desert separating Italy and Kanem Bornu. This is not a real problem for the African army, as it is used to it, but it is for Italian soldiers. Fortunately, the early fights will occur in winter, which allows Italy to progress on both fronts.

1513_1.png

Ray: Winter seems to be better for Muslims too. Jalayirids declare war on Italy in January.

George: Italy is transferring troops from Europe to Asia to fight on multiple fronts. They start to be outnumbered.

1513_2.png

Ray: Isn't Italy supposed to be better technologically?

George: They are, but again, against very numerous opponents, it might not count. Still, they are able to win the decisive battles.

1513_3.png

Ray: Italy progresses quickly against Karaman, but not really against Kanem Bornu, why that?

George: Because the African warriors are stronger than the Muslim units still in use in Egypt. Still, that war could last forever. Fortunately, this is not in Kanem Bornu's interest, as they plan to attack Mali soon.

Ray: This explains why both nations agrees not to continue to fight in August, when Karaman capitulates and is annexed by Italy...

1513_8.png

George: Indeed. With one less front, Jalayirids can't fight Italy anymore, and capitulate too. The peace is signed in January 1514.

1514_1.png

Ray: Italy now controls the entire Middle East, except for the Ottomans provinces...

George: Indeed. The wars are over now, as we are just waiting for the Blue Horde to concede defeat.

Ray: This happens in April 1515. Soon after, Philippe can annex his first vassal, as Urbino integrates the Kingdom in June 1516, ending this round.

1516_1.png

George: Philippe has managed to simply defend his territory during this round. He only offensively engaged twice: the Hussites in Austria, and Fez. This is amazing he has been able to achieve so much declaring only one single war in the decade!

Ray: I'm eager to see what he will do in the next round! And I am sure you are too dear viewers! This is why you should not miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

Hmmm, I'm getting a bit concerned about the size of those Hussite revolts you keep experiencing. Are you playing with Divine Wind 5.1 or 5.2? Do you think that they're too big?
That's a staggering list of allies that you can bring into each war. Just a note, I think that wars against hordes don't technically count as a war. It has been a while since I played though.

I play with 5.2.

Hordes: I can't diploannex the vassals helping me during a defensive war against a Horde, but I think that I get the WE reduction from being at peace. This is weird.

Hussites: I think they are oversized. I haven't looked at the situation in detail but I'm not sure it is that bad:

- "Hussite Raids" seems to be properly designed, as they mainly pop-up in reasonable numbers, in provinces where Hussites are big enough to be trouble.
- Huge Revolts in Anjou/Austria: I am not sure what caused them. Is it simply high WE (so it was Hussites but might have been peasants) or huge revolts because of an event ("Force Hussites to convert" ?)
- This is the first time I see such a large Hussite spread. In 1540 they own the entire coast from Moscow to Holland, but they were reasonably limited to Bohemia in my test game with France. If it is because this time I decided to fight them, it might be an issue :p

I can see issues with the spreading, but since spreading is done mainly via events, this should be easy to fix:
- Hussites spread quickly as soon as 1 single nation is officially Hussite. I don't see any difference if this nation is a free city OPM or if it is a big nation like Austria (which was the case during the Hussite wars of 1417's)
- Hussites spread quickly through the entire Europe, while -at least in a first time- it should be Czech-based.
- When Hussites are chased away from a nation (no nation is Hussite), they don't spread. But if a few nations tolerate them, they will spread to the ones hunting them... While Hussites spreading should be large everytime a state converts back and/or takes anti-hussites measures ("diaspora" event) and not that much otherwise.
- On the other hand, Hussites seems to spread slightly less in countries with anti-Hussites laws (like Italy) than in countries tolerating Hussites (like France), but this is not a significant difference so it might just be random.

Overall, I think a lot of anti-hussites even just have no effects:
- "Crusades" event, when you can send MP or money to one nation: no visible effect besides the MP/cash consequences. Like Bohemia have "significant hussites" in all their provinces, and call for a crusade. I send MP. they still have "significant hussites" in all their provinces...
- Tolerate/Chase Hussites: no visible effect. The anti-Hussite act did not reduced the number of Hussites in Savoy nor its spread afterwards...
- Emperor will try to force convert nations diplomatically but no DOW, even if electors converts. We have that case right now, where a Bohemia-voting state just converted and does not support Bohemia anymore. I think the Emperor and/or the DOF should have missions to force convert hussites.
- Having a crazy DoF like Savoy in 1417 hunting down every single Hussite state does not prevent rulers to commit "change of faith suicide". This one is more an IA problem and I can't see a worthwhile fix for it.

Heh, the whole horde system is a bit weird to be honest. The revolt sizes are probably a bit skewed because of the manpower changes in 5.2. The Hussite thing is fairly random. I'd guess its a 10 to 20% chance that they go crazy and not die down like they did historically. That makes getting feedback on the system a bit trickier which is why I'm paying attention to how it's going in this AAR.
I honestly haven't looked at the systems with more than a glance but I'm pretty sure the issue with the Emperor not pursuing a war is because they don't have the option by this stage. The choice to Enforce Religious Unity is tied to Crusades and Excommunications in the code and we have that set to click off at 1492. The HREmperor should still have the generic Cleansing of Heresy CB but the AI may have decided that it's not worth using it.
I'll try to take a look at it soon but I have no idea how much of it is interwined with other systems.

Certainly a busy update - I don't think I've ever seen so few offensive wars declared in a round! ;)

I'm intrigued to find out what will happen with the Blue Horde - I have very limited experience of MEIOU (running In Nomine on a Mac isn't wholly conducive to mod downloading,) so it'll be interesting to see what goes on with them.

I'd still be in favour of a smaller realm, though - Italy isn't seeming very Italian.

In any case, very enjoyable, and I look forward to the next one.

Well, if you're looking for an 'objective' for your game, I'd suggest two options based on what I normally do these days for those games where I start as a European nation.

First, conquer/enslave the whole of Europe. This should be quite self-explanatory =) However, a second possible objective I like to fulfil is to prevent all other nations from colonising. This means burning/annexing all enemy colonies, colonising those provinces yourself, or letting your vassals take them and later integrating those vassals. It's a little harder than it seems since the colonising game is basically you vs all other AI countries (ppossibly including your vassals/PU partners), but I really hate the disgusting mess of colours that come out of colonisation so I attempt to do this in all my European games. For an added challenge, do this without taking the Quest for the New World national idea - that's what I did in my game as Teutonic Order>Germany.

Also, regarding the Empire, I always feel that there are only two 'optimal' options. One is to become emperor and reform the HRE into a superstate, and the other option is to destroy it. There is no alternative =) Since I've already done the HRE formation once, I now swear to destroy the HRE in every game I play, monarchy or republic, European or not.

And I do agree with you about good rulers (especially in monarchies) being boring. I always feel inclined to stop playing every time I get a good ruler or even a good heir, because the massive let down from that person passing on and being replaced by a successor inferior in every way is always demotivating. But I certainly do hope you'll continue as long as you find the game interesting, AAR writing fulfilling, and you still feel there are objectives to complete!

Round XX (1516-1526): Attack and Counter-Attack

main_0_banniere.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. LLast time, Italy was largely attacked by all their Muslim neighbors but successfully won the round. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Philippe II de Savoie, Re d'Italia, Rei d'Aragó, Magyarország Királya, Knjaže Bălgarija, Erzherzöge Österreich, Duc de Lorraine, Duce de Milano, Graft von Hohenzollern.

italie.png

Philippe: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: Philippe, last round Italy has been heavily attacked by several Muslim states. You did manage to annex a lot of land through this though... What do you think of the previous round?

Philippe: First of all Ray, it proves me right in my decision to focus our troops along our Muslim borders. Our main threat is not our Christian brothers anymore, but these border states. While he managed to grab a lot of lands, I must say it has been highly frustrating, not being able to enter the Hordes lands.

George: You are right. You managed to beat the Blue Horde, still, you were not able to progress. What went wrong?

Ray: You know George, the Hordes are not civilized. They refuse to negotiate anything else than gold tribute during peace treaties. Lands, may it be loss or gain for them, is out of purpose.

George: Poland or Moscow manage to seize land from the Hordes.

Philippe: After a long time, the population may revolt. This did not happen this time, as we didn't occupy the lands long enough. I hope this happens in the next war though. And, I hope we will have developed a colonization system.

George: What about it?

Philippe: Sending colonists into Hordes land might turn it de facto into ours.

Ray: This was something I wanted to ask you... Few years ago, Portugal and Aragon decided to support explorers, to discover new lands to colonize. Portugal explorers did very little, but in 1510 Aragon discovered a new land named America, and installed colonies there already.

171.png

Philippe: This is not entirely true. Explorers in Aragon went West to discover a shorter path to India. I'm glad they discovered a new land, but right now it is empty, poor, land. Since we already own provinces on the Red Sea, our explorers will go East and try to secure a direct road between India and Alexandria.

Ray: So you plan on sponsoring Exploration?

Philippe: Yes. Early objectives will be to discover a naval path around Africa, so we could move one of our Mediterranean fleets to the Red Sea. Then we will go East, see if there is any empty land left. We will divide our efforts: Aragon will have South America, we will have the Indian Ocean.

Ray: What about population strategies? I think such program will raise the numbers of volunteers?

Philippe: Of course. In a first time, we will focus on the Hordes land. I want to concentrate our efforts on these lands are they are hostile. Any additional volunteers should be sent to nearby provinces, as the Muslims use these unprotected provinces to attack us. I don't plan on colonizing India any time soon...

Ray: This is exciting! When can we hope to see such a plan?

Philippe: I still have to convince parts of my government.... By the end of the year, maybe early 1517.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray: This is exciting George, don't you think?

George: I am puzzled with Philippe's strategy not to take any opportunity to go on America.

Ray: Aragon is the only one colonizing right now, he might think it is a good idea not to interfere. I am sure as soon as Castille, Portugal, France or England decide to go West, Italy will chase them.

George: Waiting for that, Philippe prepares for war with the Blue Horde, moving its troops.

Ray: And preparing the volunteers to occupy their lands. The "New World" program is proclaimed one year before the truce with the Horde ends, so around 500 volunteers are ready when the Blue Horde attacks.

George: And they are not alone, as Fez already attacks during this spring of 1518.

172.png

Ray: But this time, Philippe is ready to seize land!

George: Indeed. His troops have left Europe, where his vassals and Union can easily defend its lands, and focus on the huge "Italian Africa", going from Tunisia to Turkey. Less than a year into the war, Italy is on the right way.

174.png

Ray: Oh! I see what Philippe meant by using unoccupied lands to attack Italy.

George: Yes, Fez and Kanem Bornu have been doing that for years. Italy can't do it as their troops are not adapted for desert fight. This is why Italy needs to capture and civilize these lands, so they can be defended.

Ray: We have to wait 18 months for the first battles.

George: Indeed. Italian troops are more powerful than the Muslims nowadays, but summer 1418 offers three large battles, all won by Italy

176.png

Ray: With no defense left, this should be easier for Italy?

George: Indeed. In September 1520, one year after these fights, Italy controls most of the enemy land. Some Hordes provinces already revolted, may it be through colonizing or via traditional pro-occupant revolts.

181.png

Ray: Yes, the land currently occupied by Italy is orthodox, which is very likely to revolt to Catholic Italy rather than staying with Muslim Horde. The current front there is probably very close to the border you will see at the end of the war.

George: It would make sense indeed. Winter 1520-1521 is nice for Italy. Progresses are made on both fronts.

184.png

Ray: Yes... this is the border I would draw in the Caucasus... Anyway, soon after, Fez capitulates. This is bad timing for the Ottomans. Still thinking Fez was at war, they sent an emissary to declare war on Italy...

185.png

George: With the war with the Hordes stabilized with an easy-to-defend border, the Ottomans are probably going to suffer... The early battles don't prove me wrong. Four major battles - all lost by the Ottomans - and a few minor ones later, the Ottomans lost around 30,000 men during Spring...

186.png

Ray: This allows them to make good progress...

George: Indeed. 1421 is the fourth year of war against the Muslims. Ottomans are down to 6,000 men, defending three fortresses, while Italy allies are landing in big numbers in Crimea, comforting Italy's victory.

191.png

Ray: Peace with Ottomans is signed in September. The nation is split in two parts, and the South one is annexed by Italy.

193.png

George: By February, all the Orthodox lands of the Blue Horde have either revolted to Italy or suffered heavy colonization, and Italy controls the Caucasus. The Horde even agrees to pay Italy a tribute for five years... Ending the wars

Ray: How! Bad Timing for this!

George: What do you mean?

Ray: In May 1523, after 83 years of efforts, the Catholic community in Alexandria is majoritarian. The Italian senate is rewarding Philippe for that, and grants him a new mission, which is to colonize Alania, one of the Hordes provinces!

201.png

George: Bad timing indeed, but this will be done in five years or so, next time the Blue Horde attacks!

Ray: So now Philippe can focus on internal affairs. Between September 1523 and May 1524, he successfully convinces three new nations to bow him allegiance. The revolted Kingdom of Iceland, holding the Orkney archipelago North of Scotland, and the two nations his father tried to integrate his whole reign: the Roman Empire, holding the Turkish provinces of Samsun and Samos, and the Bulgarian Kingdom of Tarnovo, based in Sofia.

203.png

George: Nice, as all of them were either enclaves into the commonwealth or had direct borders with Italy, that had to be protected...

Ray: Nice indeed. Philippe's continue to focus on internal policies supporting Explorer Vittorio Amedeo della Torre, granting him three old Carracks to follow the African shores. In January 1525 he passes the Horn cape and makes it way to the Red Sea, from Inchiri, becoming the first known European to successfully bypass Africa! Soon after that, he decides to encourage colonial expansion by voting a resettlement program, then encouraging Italian expansionism.

206.png

George: which means, more volunteers to colonize nearby provinces and Indian Ocean islands?

Ray: Yes... And we already are into 1526 and the end of this round. Please make sure not to miss the next episode of BIG RULER, as we will see where these colonists land!

Heh, the whole horde system is a bit weird to be honest. The revolt sizes are probably a bit skewed because of the manpower changes in 5.2. The Hussite thing is fairly random. I'd guess its a 10 to 20% chance that they go crazy and not die down like they did historically. That makes getting feedback on the system a bit trickier which is why I'm paying attention to how it's going in this AAR.
I honestly haven't looked at the systems with more than a glance but I'm pretty sure the issue with the Emperor not pursuing a war is because they don't have the option by this stage. The choice to Enforce Religious Unity is tied to Crusades and Excommunications in the code and we have that set to click off at 1492. The HREmperor should still have the generic Cleansing of Heresy CB but the AI may have decided that it's not worth using it.
I'll try to take a look at it soon but I have no idea how much of it is interwined with other systems.

After checking, I actually am in 5.1. I guess I'm in the bad 15-20%... :p

Certainly a busy update - I don't think I've ever seen so few offensive wars declared in a round! ;)

I'm intrigued to find out what will happen with the Blue Horde - I have very limited experience of MEIOU (running In Nomine on a Mac isn't wholly conducive to mod downloading,) so it'll be interesting to see what goes on with them.

I'd still be in favour of a smaller realm, though - Italy isn't seeming very Italian.

In any case, very enjoyable, and I look forward to the next one.

1 offensive war in Round XIX, zero Round XX! :p
Blue Horde was still big enough in Round XIX, but it is down to nothing Round XX. before Philippe death, it will be gone, and only the White Horde will remain. I'll have to check if it turns Golden...
I'll slowly annex vassals in Italy to shape it properly, but Philippe will not go into long wars in Europe (1-months war are OK), and since South Italy is the Castille-Pope alliance, it will be long wars...

Well, if you're looking for an 'objective' for your game, I'd suggest two options based on what I normally do these days for those games where I start as a European nation.

First, conquer/enslave the whole of Europe. This should be quite self-explanatory =) However, a second possible objective I like to fulfil is to prevent all other nations from colonising. This means burning/annexing all enemy colonies, colonising those provinces yourself, or letting your vassals take them and later integrating those vassals. It's a little harder than it seems since the colonising game is basically you vs all other AI countries (ppossibly including your vassals/PU partners), but I really hate the disgusting mess of colours that come out of colonisation so I attempt to do this in all my European games. For an added challenge, do this without taking the Quest for the New World national idea - that's what I did in my game as Teutonic Order>Germany.

Also, regarding the Empire, I always feel that there are only two 'optimal' options. One is to become emperor and reform the HRE into a superstate, and the other option is to destroy it. There is no alternative =) Since I've already done the HRE formation once, I now swear to destroy the HRE in every game I play, monarchy or republic, European or not.

And I do agree with you about good rulers (especially in monarchies) being boring. I always feel inclined to stop playing every time I get a good ruler or even a good heir, because the massive let down from that person passing on and being replaced by a successor inferior in every way is always demotivating. But I certainly do hope you'll continue as long as you find the game interesting, AAR writing fulfilling, and you still feel there are objectives to complete!

So far, Europeans are slow to colonize. Only Aragon discovered America. I'll let them a chance to setup colonies there as I focus to Asia first. It is boring to be the only one in North America anyway...
Becoming HRE Emperor might be an option, I'll see.

Round XXI-XXII should have more action, as older Philippe might change his "1 offensive war in 20 years" policy... But still no real challenge...

Iceland and the Roman Empire as vassals? Certainly two very different nations. Good to see some more peaceful expansion came about with the wars.

Interesting to see how the hordes work - sending colonists to get land is an interesting idea. Will you be pursuing your next objective via those methods?

I'm looking forward to the next update.

Those enemies looked rather easy. I hope you can vassalise Georgia and give them back all their rightful lands, assuming they're still Christian that is. I see Sidama as an OPM in what should be Semien's province. What faith are they? It looks like Song was the big winner out of the Red Turbans.

DensleyBlair, the Horde mechanism with colonising provinces is a mechanic that Divine Wind introduced. Normally every nation bordering them gets a trickle of colonists (plus the religion-based ones) that they can use to colonise but MEIOU changes that to avoid the horror that is Snakehemia. The only ways to take Horde provinces are either to get colonists by having colonisation ideas, getting provinces by the normal wartime events that swap provinces that you 'should' have (cores, culture, religion), or with special Russian events.