• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That pesky "Regarding our Colonization" event currently does nothing. I can never remember if you're playing with the hotfixes or not because I keep expecting all hell to break loose in the Middle East. Nice work exploiting the TP system to get some free cores in Asia. I see you're slowly but surely consuming the whole of Australia. It's such worthless land. :p

Ascanio Maria was rather quiet, in the end - he died before he could do anything too major. Ferdinando looks decidedly mediocre, though I'm sure that won't stop the turbo-charged Alfa Romeo of a monster that is Italy ;)

Good job in pushing into Asia Minor. I imagine you'll be able to connect your empire via land once you start taking out India.

Ferdinando indeed is mediocre... The good thing is that he knows it, so he won't have the pretension to become a big conqueror or a big reformer...

I consider the two big pieces (Italy and Africa/Caucasus) connected by land already, since Austria and Hungary are in the commonwealth....
Landwise, I need to connect my North America holdings to Aragonese Florida, my Texas holdings to Aragonese Venezuela, my African/Caucasian mainland with the Brabant/Irish/Pisa/Aragon colonies in Africa, and to my Siberian Holdings.
In Europe, Saxony, Hohenzollern, Aragonese Two Sicilies and my Danish Holdings need to be connected to Italy.... And then, the African/Caucasian connection to South India, and South India connection to Johore.... a lot of work to connect everything... I am not sure when/if it will be done.... :p

That pesky "Regarding our Colonization" event currently does nothing. I can never remember if you're playing with the hotfixes or not because I keep expecting all hell to break loose in the Middle East. Nice work exploiting the TP system to get some free cores in Asia. I see you're slowly but surely consuming the whole of Australia. It's such worthless land. :p

I was hopping it will trigger some chain reaction... :(
I will install the hotfixes at the end of this AAR, as I don't want major changes in the GamePlay.
Middle East revolt pretty often. I negotiate with the Sunni so only have easy to clear 1-k stacks, but I wipe out the shiites and the hussites stacks as they concern less provinces.
The Malaccan core as COT is worth the loss of the 3% tax bonus... Ceylan and South India not that much... yet.
In Australia, I would like to prevent Asian and European from colonizing it. It gives them more chance to go in America, and lowers the final war fronts number (ideally to two: Europe and North America).

----
The reign of Ferdinando is played already, I will post his update tonight (yes, his... I'm missing nice 30+years reigns I had with Savoyard leaders..)

I will install the hotfixes at the end of this AAR, as I don't want major changes in the GamePlay.
Middle East revolt pretty often.
By the time it ends we'll be up to the new version, although I'm sure there'll be hotfixes for that one too.
The revolt I was referring to was something I included as a hotfix when it should've been optional that drastically improved the power of Persia to revolt via event. A few people got caught by it with their pre-existing grand empires.

Round XXVII (1575-1585): Peace to the world

main_0_banniere.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. Last time, Ascanio Maria I 'l'Orientale' was crowned, fought in India, the Philippines, Mali, Denmark, Indonesia and Persia, and passed the throne to his brother after only 11 years. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Ferdinando II de Savoie, Re d'Italia, Rei d'Aragó, Magyarország Királya, König von Bayern, Erzherzog von Österreich, Duc de Lorraine, Graf von Hohenzollern.

blason.png

Ferdinando: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: Ferdinando, Italy is the most powerful nation on Earth right now, but is on the verge to collapse. Italy has been continuously fighting for the last twenty years, sees a lot of protests from religious or nationalist minorities all over its realm... What a tough challenge for a young king....

Ferdinando: Well, you know my brother and I were not on the same page on ... well, anything. As kids, he was raised as the future king of Italy, receiving education on .... well, everything. He however was not able to be with a woman, but whatever... This is the only domain I beat him I guess...

Ray: This is sade... But what about your plans?

Ferdinando: He was all for war, I will be all for peace. We need to give our people some rest. We need to reinforce our relationships with our vassals. We need to make the senate understand that we do not need this center of trade on the Java island, since our Selangor center of trade is so strong. We need to reinforce ourselves against Hussites, as we cannot continue to declare Holy Wars on our neighbors while our own faith is threatened at our doors...

George: So can we expect wars in Europe?

Ferdinando: We will tolerate the Hussites. We will not attack them, unless they have an aggressive behavior. And if they do, we will teach them how to be good christian... with our swords.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray: Ferdinando does not waste time and five months only into this round, he agrees for a peace with Mali.

4.png

George: Mali is pushed back. This should be good enough to hold them up for a few decades.

Ray: As soon as the peace is signed, Ferdinando convinces the senate that Surabaya is not needed. They agree to renounce on Surabaya but ask the Blue Horde to be fully conquered instead.

George: He agrees but I am not sure he will go to war with the Blue Horde... Even if there is very little left of it...

Ray: In April 1576, news reach Turin. Prussia, Munster, the Julich-Berg-Cleves commonwealth, and Italy own vassal Brabant are persecuting Catholics. They called for help to England, the defender of the Catholic faith, the emperor Bohemia and his Holiness the Pope for help. Bohemia has been the only one answering it, declaring war on Prussia, Trier, and several other Hussite nations....

George: As their screams also reach Italy, Ferdinando decides to go to war, against Munster. His allies Julich-Berg-Cleves and Burgundy supports them. But none of them can match Italy's power.

8.png

Ray: This is the first war in Europe in the XVIth century, while we are nearly out of it...

George: Except the minor wars in Denmark...

Ray: Exact. Anyway, a few months later, the Blue Horde declares war. And this time, they are at peace with Theodosia.

George: This is the opportunity Italy needs.

14.png

Ray: In September, a report from the Bishop of Turin brings great joy to Ferdinando. It says - I quote -, that "Without religious leadership, entire societies came to adopt the way of life of their conquerors".

George: What does it means?

Ray: That through the commonwealth, more and more heathens and heretics are converting to the true faith...

George: Then I guess this is good.

Ray: Yes. What is not good however is Ferdinando mental health. By January 1577 he needs the guidance of one of his administrative court members in his everyday life... He quickly forces him to sign peaces with the different Hussites states.

George: Peace is signed in March 1577 with the treaty of Osnabruck. Both of the three states will have to pay war reparations, and officially converts back to Catholicism. Burgundy will definitively renounces on the ownership of Dijon, while Munster will become a vassal.

Ray: These are strong terms, and this makes it a nice win for Italy.

George: It does. In August, Italy is at peace against, after the last nomadic province of Crimea is integrated to the Kingdom.The senate now asks back to the Sibir province of Ostyak.

Ray: Tough, as Sibir still is Moscow's vassal.

George: The Hussite war of 76-77 gave ideas to Ferdinando. With the pope blessings, he becomes Defender of the Faith in September 77, and attacks Trier in 78.

Ray: This is a nice initiative. Trier is already at war with Emperor Bohemia, and is the seventh elector.

George: The seventh?

Ray: Yes, the electors of the Holy Empire are seven: Italy vassals Saxoy, Pfalz and Saluzzo are supporting their Italian overlord. Brandenburg, Koln and Bohemia itself are supporting Bohemia. So when the next emperor will have to be chosen, the Hussite state of Trier will have to choose the Emperor...

27.png

George: I see. So vassalizing Trier will grant Italy the crown of Emperor...

Ray: If Trier is converted back to Catholic, yes. This might be too much to agree for Trier rulers though. Anyway in January Ferdinando creates a cabinet of diplomat to assist him and his successors improving relations with their neighbors.

George: February 78 is a bad month or Hussites. Bohemia forces Trier to convert to Catholicism, while Ferdinando refuses to negotiate with them. Around eighty thousand of them do revolt through Italy, but are no threat for Ferdinando.

Ray: No threat indeed. And in May, Trier capitulates, paying war reparations and becoming the fourth elector vassal of Ferdinando.

George: So Italy will become Emperor?

Ray: When Premysl Otakar IV dies, probably, yes. But they have other business to deal with. During Fall 1578, they negotiate with Hejaz the acquisition of the trading post of Muscat. For a total of 600 ducats, Muscat becomes Italian.

36.png

George: And while Italy celebrates, Premysl Otakar IV dies in December...

37.png

Ray: Giving Ferdinando a new crown... Nicely played.

38.png

George: Six months later, in May 1579, Sibir attacks Italy.

Ray: They are not Moscow vassals anymore?

George: They are not. I'm not sure if they revolted, or if Moscow released them as part of a peace treaty though.

Ray: Oh yes, Sibir is at war with Moscow, and Moscow has truces going on with Sweden, Poland, England, the Timurids and the White Horde.

George: This is a nice chance for Italy to give the Senate this province he asks for.

Ray: Indeed. The war takes long though, with nothing to notice. In July 1580 Boleslav V von Bohemia, who married Ferdinando's sister, dies suddenly at age 36. The Bohemian heralds look for a suitable heir, but Ferdinando seems to be the only legal one... Ferdinando is crowned České Králem.

39.png

George: The day of his crowning, the Free City of Frankfurt declares the Hus philosophy official religion of the City. Proud of his new crown, Ferdinando attacks, concerned to keep religious unity within the Empire.

Ray: In October, while Frankfurt is under siege, both Catholics and Hussites of the city gather to debates about religion, as it is the main concern in this war. Their conclusions are sent via pigeons through Europe, and what looks like a new schism quickly spreads through Europe...

47.png

George: This does not save the city from Ferdinando. In December, the city converts back and is vassalized.

Ray: And in February 1581, the Knights order of Malta is fully integrated into the Kingdom. Only few days later, the African state of Dahomey, and his n'Dongo ally, attack Italy.

George: This is why Italian rulers have been striking first for decades. The two most powerful West African nations are clearly targeting the undefended colonies of the commonwealth: Aragon's Benguela and half of their South African holdings, Connaught's Igbo and Doala, Pisa's Mpemba... and of course the entire Angevine Africa! Look, they already are seizing Anjou's colonies!

60.png

Ray: Spring 1581 is a succession of colonial loss for the commonwealth, as Italy and its allies are not prepared for an African invasion.

George: It takes time for Italy to prepare a counter-attack. This is finaly done in June 1581, and Dahomey army is quickly beaten down.

62.png

Ray: Will it be enough to conquer back the lost colonies?

George: I doubt so. Here is the situation in December 1581, with the war with Sibir still running. Italy progresses in Dahomey, taking back Anjou and Connaught lost colonies, but N'Dongo is progressing unchallenged, both North and South.

74.png

Ray: This is not really problematic, is it?

George: It is, as there is absolutely no Spanish troops in South Africa to defend their colonies.

Ray: But if Dahomey is down quickly, Italy can opens a second front North of N'Dongo?

George: Yes, but unless Aragon's colonies, Dahomey land is heavily fortified. Italy progresses very slowly. Here is the situation there in April 1582.

76.png

Ray: This might forces Ferdinando to concede defeat to n'Dongo...

George: He won't concede defeat, but will sign a truce, losing the colonies of Benguela, Khoisan, and Mpemba, but keeping most of South Africa safe.

Ray: The Senate obviously sympathizes, as a few days later, learning that Ostyak was colonized, they asked for Severniy Ural, the last of Sibir provinces, already strong of 800 Italian settlers, to be integrated.

George: This is also the time when the remaining of Dahomey troops are massacred at the battle of Kwararafa. 19,000 soldiers killed in only two days. This forces Dahomey to accept Italy's peace conditions.

83.png

Ray: This is nice. No one ever tries to bother Italy anymore, and the colonization of the last Sibir province is the only thing worth noticing in the next year. This province is finally integrated in February 1583. The senate now requires the Syrian province of Badiyat to be converted. Missionaries have been working in that area for years already...

George: So it won't change anything for Ferdinando.

Ray: It won't. Anyway, in October the Castillian court announces that a French philosopher, Jean Calvin, is preaching is own version of the Frankfurter's Lutherian reform. Meanwile, the Lutherian reform is in decline through Italy. With the Hussites still powerful but persecuted in Europe, this is not surprising.

91.png

George: I doubt anyone but Hussites will convert to these new doctrines... I can't imagine any catholic willing to be killed for something so stupid...

Ray: You are right. Anyway, after years of efforts, the population in Badiyat converts to Catholicism. The Senate... how...

George: What?

Ray: They ask for the Selangor center of Trade again!

George: I thought Ferdinando did convince them?

Ray: Not hard enough obviously....

George: He does nothing though...

Ray: No. And in December 1584 the Prince of Semien Dwait I Aswaf dies with no heir...

George: Don't tell me that Ferdinando becomes Prince of that small province of Damaro?

Ray: He doesn't. The province is directly integrated to the Italian realm, while European have started to colonize North America. France, Norway and Aragon are the most involved in the process, but Anjou, Portugal, England, Holland and Castille also grabbed some outposts in the new Land.

96.png

George: I bet you that England, Castille, and Portugal colonies will be gone before you realize it.

Ray: Yes... they came too late, expanded too slowly... At this stage, France or Norway strategy to "grab everything they can" is the only one worth anything... Anyway, a few days after this inheritance, Ferdinando declares war on Nassau, one of the last Hussite states. To support him, the pope nominates a third Italian cardinal, as the bishop of Jura becomes the cardinal Pico.

George: Ten years ago Italy had no representative in the Curia, and now they are they control 20% of it, more than any other nation.

Ray: This is very good to convince the other nations that Italy is a respectable partner. And this is important as all these new vassals are not really legal based on international laws.

George: speaking of that, Nassau is converted and vassalized in January.

Ray: True... Just before Ferdinando passes away, leaving the throne and the imperial crown to his son, Ferdinando III.

100.png

George: Here is a map of his realm

map.png

Ray: I see that you considered the wasteland enclaves of Amazonia and Papua as Italian...

George: We did. Italy progressed a lot in Amazonia and Africa, but the major gain of this round was Bohemia.

Ray: So what do you think Ferdinando III will be up to?

George: The new King looks brilliant, except in the war zone, so I guess he will continues his father policy, to focus on colonies, secure alliances and royal marriages, and defend the faith.

Ray: What would you do?

George: Where to start... Connect the Muscat and Semien holdings to the African one, keep the job going in India, Indonesia and Mali... Kick Castille and England out of Africa and America...

Ray: Well.... I guess we will see soon which path Ferdinando chooses. Then make sure not to miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

So we're in 1585 and Italy already controls most of the East Indies? That's certainly impressive. Are you looking for a world conquest now?

It also seems that the Empire is now yours in perpetuity – congratulations. Will you be looking to destroy it at all? Ferdinando III looks like a good king. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

Colonisation! Sweet glorious AI colonisation. I assume that started in earnest after the mass guarantees? I have no idea how well the Reformation is going to interact with the massive Hussite success.

@DensleyBlair:
WC might be possible if I don't inherit Aragon too soon. We will see. I play my objectives one round after the other, I am just in times for a WC (about 35% of the provinces conquered in about 50% of the game)

After Ferdinando II's reign, both infamy and WE are back to nice levels, and I would logically think I should use that to connect the three new enclaves (Cameroon, Ethiopia, Muscat) to the mainland, but I feel I need to consolidate my positions right now. The fact that Ferdinando III is not a fighter at all probably makes it for a diplomatic path....

There is still some work to do in Asia but I am short on casus belli targets... besides Vijanyagar, my only Holy War targets are OPMs.... I am sure I will get a ruler who wants to annex them all, but this probably won't be Ferdinando III.

As for the Empire... I don't think you can destroy the empire as the Emperor (for sure it doesn't work in vanilla), so my best shot is to pass the reforms one after the other to grant me more money, more troops, more vassals... :p

@SirkTheMonkey:

I only guaranteed Castille-England-France (Portugal is Castille sidekick anyway)... So sure enough, they decided to all attack Sweden simultaneously, while I myself was at war with Sweden. Norway, Holland and Moscow were also in the party. I think this was the colonization-changer. Holland and Portugal started to colonize North-East Scandinavia, while Norway became the new Scandinavian power, and decided to expand to Greenland and Canada.

This triggered a colonies fashion in Europe, with Holland, Portugal, France, Castille, England and Anjou both sending settlers during the same year.
Portugal and France then started to colonize what they could... so did Aragon, because after all, they did discover the lands. I expanded my own outpost to enclave Castille/England/France colonies, but this was useless as only France supports its existing colonies (Castille and England are done colonizing it seems...)

I know some of you are picky about the coat of arms.... So let me explain the eagle.

IRL, the imperial eagle used to be mono-cephalic (one head).
In 1368, Sigismond von Luxembourg, King of Bohemia and King of Hungary, becomes Emperor. To illustrate the Hungarian-Bohemian commonwealth, the eagle become bi-cephalic.
Actually, after being elected, the Emperor is only King of the Romans, using a mono-cephalic eagle, which became bi-cephalic when actually crowned Emperor.

However, in this alternative reality, the Bohemian rulers always were "Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia", so they never had a Sigismond to impose the bi-cephalic eagle.
When elected Emperor, Ferdinando was already ruler of 7 nations, including 5 in the HRE: Kingdoms of Italy and Bavaria, Arch-Duchy of Austria, Duchy of Lorraine, County of Hohenzollern. Then, he had no reason to use a bi-cephalic Eagle. Maybe some kind of 5 or 7-heads hydra, but definitively not a bi-cephalic eagle.

Now, when will I use a bi-cephalic Eagle?

Logically enough, as soon as I am crowned Emperor. Strangely, while it was supposed to appear around 1450, I never had the "request a promotion to Emperor" national decision made available.
I will check the triggers tonight to make sure I am not missing something obvious. I've always succeeded asking for a promotion up to Emperor, or at least seeing the button. Maybe forming Piemont-Sardinia / Italy before being an Emperor somehow froze it?
Anyway I've looked around to my vassals/partners and the decision is not broken for everybody... Aragon can request that promotion...
Not sure if the AI will do or not. If yes, I will become Emperor of Aragon / King of Italy so will probably switch to the bi-cephalic eagle even if Italy itself is not an Empire (simply a kingdom with Imperial Administration)

looked at the code... Looks like King is the highest title you can get as long as you are in the HRE, so this is logical I can't see any decision to promote to Emperor of Italy.
So my only way to become Emperor is from Aragon.

In 1368, Sigismond von Luxembourg, King of Bohemia and King of Hungary, becomes Emperor. ...
I guess you mean the in-game Sigismond.
---
In our timeline, he became King of Hungary in 1387, King of Bohemia in 1419, and Emperor King of Germany in 1410 (btw: all three were elective titles). He brievely was King-Elect (or King-Heir) of Poland (1386, via his first wive Maria d'Anjou), but did not manage to get crowned King of Poland. "In young years, you make mistakes that can cost you dire!" as my history Professor used to say.

Yours kindly,
AdL

Edit: should have read the post completly. T'is an error: 1410 instead of 1368!

Last edited:
I was referring to the real (In Real Life) Sigismund, but messed up with the dates: he was born in 1368, before being elected Emperor in 1411 and crowned in 1433.

I guess that the fact that he was only King of Hungary when elected Emperor but had two (+Bohemia) titles when crowned might explain the use of one head for the king of Roman and two for the Emperor....

... I guess that the fact that he was only King of Hungary when elected Emperor but had two (+Bohemia) titles when crowned might explain the use of one head for the king of Roman and two for the Emperor....
There was a brief moment, when they (electors, Sigismund, Jodok/Jobst) thought about splitting the titles physically: Sigismund would become emperor, Jodok/Jobst would stay King of the Romans.

---
... but as interesting this discussion is: back on topic! ... and to another update soon ...

Yours kindly,
AdL

I'll do a special update for 1606 (half game update).

Besides a bigger part of economics (a part I've neglected a lot in my AAR), is there any thing you want to see?

I'll probably post Round XXVIII, Round XXIX and Half Game Update in a row, starting tomorrow.

Things are really starting to get a little too global for my taste. I really have no comments on anything anymore, the scale of your empire is beyond my comprehension. The only thing I have to say is WORLD CONQUEST. NOW.

Punch your way through Russia and Asia and link your territories together. And, with your spare troops, give the other Europeans a kicking every few years, even if you don't take any territory. They are so manifestly weak they don't deserve the generosity of being allowed to survive in peace, so please kill them. Consider it a form of mercy, in comparison to having to live to watch your empire grow ever larger just across the border and knowing that you'll crush them eventually.

Also, Sigismund is that lovely chap what said "I am the King of the Romans and above grammar." Spiffing.

you will love Ferdinando III's reign. I'm still playing it right now, as:
1- he already reigned 21 years, longer than any other Italian-born rulers of Savoy/Italy
2- very active son + very tired wife + very tired me + very hot Texan weather = very low activity

Still, I'll do my best to post Round XXVIII tonight :p

Round XXVIII (1585-1595): Tickle bigger fishes

main_0_banniere.png

Ray: GOOOOOOOOOOD Evening everyone and Welcome to "BIG RULER". I'm Ray Porter, and I am here with George I. Joe and B. Rene Daid to help you all follow that alternative history! This season, we are following Savoy. Last time, Ferdinando II 'il Pacifico' was crowned, restored peace on his realm with limited wars in Europe and Africa, but mostly becoming Holy Emperor, before passing both of his thrones to his son. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Ferdinando III de Savoie, Imperator Romanus Sacer, Re d'Italia, Magyarország Királya, Rei d'Aragó, König von Bayern, České Královem, Erzherzog von Österreich, Duc de Lorraine, Graf von Hohenzollern.

39.png

Ferdinando: Good Evening Ray.

Ray: Ferdinando, your father established a policy of peace on the Empire. It is my understanding that you were planning to continue it?

Ferdinando: This is true. My father mostly wanted peace, but has been the first Italian ruler in decades to date leading a war in Europe. Peace should be our objective, but we should not be afraid to lead wars for what is important.

George: What is important to you Ferdinando? What is worth declaring war for?

Ferdinando: Well, as the Emperor, we have to fight the heresy within the Empire, and protect the imperial nations from the outside world. And... I must say something worries me.

Ray: What is it?

Ferdinando: Our borders...

Ray: They are ugly, aren't they? We received a lot of text messages about that...

Ferdinando: I don't care about their look. They are way too long. Long borders means lots of troops to defend them, which means lot of money spent. I want to reduce the military costs by disbanding some of our troops... but I can't do that before cleaning up our borders.

George: Any idea who might be the first target?

Ferdinando: I haven't decided yet. It probably will be in Africa...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George: I am puzzled Ray. I am not sure if this new ruler is a pacifist or a warrior...

Ray: Declaring war to disband troops... This indeed is puzzling.

George: He still hasn't attacked anyone Ray...

Ray: Give him some time. Look, in July 1586 Hejaz is his target. Muslims Mali and Kano join.

George: This makes sense. Hejaz has a strip of land West of the Red Sea, which nearly connects to Semien, that Italy needs to defend.

Ray: Indeed. It was Hejaz or Kanem Bornu.

George: Hejaz means 5 small fronts, that Italy can easily control, while Kanem Borno would have meant two huge ones. Anyway, since Hungary has a huge army nearby, it is the only Italian ally called in for this war.

Ray: Kanem Borno knows it is its chance. War is declared on Hejaz in November, while Kano offers a white peace to Italy as soon as February 1587.

George: Gladly accepted. Ferdinando has nothing to win in Africa but war exhaustion. Anyway, more than a year into the war, in October 87, the situation looks very good for Italy. Mali is entirely under control after its armies have been defeated, while Italy and Hungary are making good progresses in Arabia. The Persian and Oman holdings of Italy now are connected, while both banks of the Red Sea are under control of the commonwealth.

14.png

Ray: Now it is only a matter of time before Italy can grab what they want from this war. They'll probably want to definitively connect these holdings, and potentially grab a few other things. Anyway, in November 1587, the pope encourage the Catholics rulers through the world to enact a set of counter-reformation laws. Italy enact them starting January 1st, 1588.

George: Italy makes reasonable but very slow progress in Arabia. Here is the situation two years into the conflict.

19.png

Ray: Little progress worth mentioning during this third year. Mutapa takes its chance and attacks Hejaz in June 1589, nearly three years into the war.

George: This war is very different from anything Italy got us used to. This is not a six-month run-and-conquer war. This is a long, tedious, sieges based war, in the desert.

Ray: Yes. Ferdinando III is not a warrior, he probably didn't plan this war properly. Internally though, he makes good choices, like improving the mines through the "Mining Act" in January 1590.

George: Already 3 and a half years into this war... This is insane. But he forces Mali and Hejaz to sign peace treaties at the end of the month.

27.png

Ray: He now goes back to peace...

George: But if you want peace, you have to prepare for war. He moves troops near the Duchy of Cologne.

Ray: In 1589, the Prince-Archbishop Friedrich III converted to the Lutherian faith, and proclaimed himself Duke. In March 1590 his nephew Siegfried V is crowned, and while Ferdinando is ready to declare war, he willingly converts back to Catholicism!

George: This should prevents Italy from attacking Cologne but Ferdinando invokes some obscure law: the only potential rulers of Cologne are the Prince-Archbishop, and the Holy Emperor. The Duke Siegfried V is asked to abdicate, but he refuses. Italy declares war in June.

Ray: This is seen as an opportunity to strike for Dahomey and its nDongo ally.... They attack in July, and Mutapa declares a third war against Italy in August.

George: While Italy makes good progress against Dahomey and on the northern border of nDongo, the Aragonese Africa is still undefended. nDongo is taking down the rudimentary fortresses one after the other, forcing Italy to sign a peace with Dahomey as soon as November 1590.

38.png

Ray: Pisa and Aragon are given back the colonies they lost in the previous war, while Italy connects Cameroon to the rest of their African holdings.

George: Down to two wars now. Cologne cities all are under siege, and Italy took the upper hand againsts Mutapa. Kanem Borno is allied to Italy in this war, as they warned Mutapa before. Here is the situation in April 1591.

41.png

Ray: Mutapa chased Hejaz out of Africa, so an Italian connection to Semien is a real possibility here. Anyway, in Indonesia, Kelantan consider the situation and declares another holy war on Italy. Later that months, conflicting reports are reaching Italy about the religious situation within the Kingdom.

43.png

George: Ferdinando slowly takes care of Kelantan, but negotiates its way out of two of three wars in November 1591. Mutapa cedes four provinces, connecting Semien to the Mediterranean, and Siegfried V abdicates. The Cologne senate quickly recognizes Ferdinando as their new Duke.

50.png

colognep.png

Ray: Now Ferdinando controls 6 out of 7 electors, enough to grant the Imperial Crown to any future King of Italy.

George: And peace with Kelantan is signed a few months later, in January 1592, significantly increasing the size of Italy in the Siam peninsula.

55.png

Ray: A few days after the peace treaty is signed, Ferdinando is back to internal affairs. Vassals Tarnovo, Verona and Lucca are integrated into the realm.

George: Otherwise a very peaceful year for Italy. In August newly Hussite-converted Namur is attacked, but is quickly converted and vassalized. Barely worth noticing.

Ray: And in September 1592, Karl II Duke of Furstenberg dies with no heir, bequeathing his throne to Ferdinando.

furstenberg.png

George: I really hope Ferdinando will ask for the integration of some of these unions into Italy in his testimony... He currently is the ruler of ten different nations!

Ray: And he also is the Holy Roman Emperor, looking for more authority. This leads straight to a new war, this time with Brandenburg, the last of the electors, as he annexed a few of his imperial vassals lately, which is not to Ferdinando's taste.

George: War is declared in October 1592. England defends Brandenburg and leads the defense alliance, which also contains Pskov.

Ray: ENGLAND? This might be a huge war!

George: Not really. The English army is spread between America, Gotland, Ireland, Albania, Africa, Luneburg, Moldavia and actual England, so is no threat for an advancing army. Brandenburg on the other hand is dangerous as Paul II von Luxemburg is leading a huge 22,000 men army. The first battles are to his advantage, before Vittorio di Carde doubles the size of the Italian army and defeat him.

65.png

Ray: Still, more than 26,000 Italians were killed to defeat the 22,000 Germans... I am not sure this strategy is efficient.

George: It is not, but it wipes out the entire defending army. Now the whole commonwealth can siege and occupy the defending fortresses. Here is the situation in November 1593, one year into the war. All English overseas holdings are under Italian control.

71.png

Ray: What about the mainland?

George: I do not see any reason to worry about it, may it be in England or in Germany.

91.png

Ray: The defending alliance capitulates through the winter, Brandenburg in December, and England in January 1594. Italy keeps the colonies seized in America, and captures the last English colony in Africa. Moreover, a total of 5 nations, including 4 imperial ones, are freed and retrieve independence.

93.png

George: Ferdinando strongly increases his authority as Emperor here.

Ray: Yes, he'll probably try to impose a new reform in the next months. Moreover, through the year, all these newly freed nations are willing to recognize Italy's authority and become vassals. Magdeburg is first, as soon as January, Guyenne and Luneburg in March, Mecklenburg in May. Anhalt is the last one to join, in August.

George: While doing that, Ferdinando attacks Siak. That minor nation only controls the Temassek islands, south of the Siam peninsula, but are calling a few allies in.

98.png

Ray: Kelantan joined? They are willing to suffer twice in the same round, good to know...

George: This does not slow down Italy, and peaces are quickly signed, after only two months of war.

99.png

Ray: This round might end with a tragedy though. In October 1584, Eugenio, Ferdinando's brother and apparent heir, dies from an hunting accident.

George: Ferdinando I's father already died from a similar accident while he was the apparent heir. This is the second time in the last fifty years that such accident occur. The royal family really need to be more careful.

Ray: I agree. The new heir is Vitorrio Amedeo, Eugenio's son and Ferdinando's nephew.

George: A last war in this round, with the storming annexation of newly revolted Hadhramaut, holding the Arabic province of Dhufar in June 1595.

Ray: And Ferdinando finally convinces the senate that the Suarabaya center of trade is useless. They ask Ferdinando to instead discover the area of Chuqachiqmiut, a legendary land from the American continent that some (united) Japanese fishermen reported. Eighty years after Vittorio Amedeo della Torre was sent to Indonesia, a new explorer is sent with Italian sails, as Vittorio Amedeo Montefeltro heads North of Japan to discover Alaska... To see if he discovers it, make sure not to miss the next episode of BIG RULER!

Last edited:
So many famous thrones under one flag ... it makes me feel a little sad inside. There's a reason why even Charles the Great decided to break up his mega Austro-Spanish empire. To be honest I can't wait for you to inherit/force-integrate them so we can consign their appeal to greatness to the trash-heap of history and strip them from your flag. Uniting the HRE also seems like a good idea, since that will completely justify the eradication of all the HRE nations in your flag.

I find it hard to believe that money is a problem at this point, since it should really be infamy =P If you have Quest for the New World, you'll get the Colonialism casus belli against any nation with whom you share an overseas border, unless MEIOU removed that. You could use it to help with straightening your borders - 4 infamy for a junk province from England seems like such a waste.

The area south of Siam is known as the Malay Peninsula, not the Siam peninsula, since the Siamese kingdoms never ruled over it. Siamese rule (and British colonialism) stopped at the border somewhere in the northern part of the peninsula and it was one of our more profitable colonies back in the days =P

Eugenio = brother of Ferndinando (III ?)

Vitorrio Amedeo = brother of Eugenio

=> Votorrio Amedeo = brother of Ferdinando

At least that I was told in Mathematics some 20 years ago ...
---
EU3 (with or without MEIOU) tends to become a WC-game if you are really successful in late 15th / 16th / early 17th century ...

Yours,
AdL

Last edited:
So many famous thrones under one flag ... it makes me feel a little sad inside. There's a reason why even Charles the Great decided to break up his mega Austro-Spanish empire. To be honest I can't wait for you to inherit/force-integrate them so we can consign their appeal to greatness to the trash-heap of history and strip them from your flag. Uniting the HRE also seems like a good idea, since that will completely justify the eradication of all the HRE nations in your flag.

Besides Hungary and Aragon, all 9 unions are HRE-based, so I will not force-integrate any of it or I will lose the cores. Uniting the HRE might be an option on the long-term, even if it means having Gunters, Klauz and Frantz as rulers and switching culture away from Latin, which will be a huge blow with all my colonies... Not sure I'll do it.

I find it hard to believe that money is a problem at this point, since it should really be infamy =P

Money is not a real problem. With 100% maintenance (colonies, missionaries, military, navy), I have an overall +1200:+1500 per year if I push the minting to the maximum (with +0.00 inflation). Thing is: 1200-1500 is not that much: spy, diplomats, buildings, events... everything costs a lot. Plus with such large kingdom, research would need more investments than right now, so I need to reduce the minting. Cabinet + diplomat + Ferdinando = -25 infamy per round (+events), with a limit at 38. Last round, between wars and events (including a nice -3 infamy for skilled diplomat), I only gained 5 or 6 infamy.

If you have Quest for the New World, you'll get the Colonialism casus belli against any nation with whom you share an overseas border, unless MEIOU removed that. You could use it to help with straightening your borders - 4 infamy for a junk province from England seems like such a waste.

Colonialism CB against european nations bordering me indeed. But I only get the infamy reduction for the considered province. Besides a few colonies in North America (+ 2 castille provinces in North Africa), I have no interest of starting a large war against France/England/Castille/Portugal + allies for such small gain. Here the target was not England but Brandenburg. I had four objectives against england: their colonies in North America, their holding in North Africa, Guyenne, and Luneburg. The first three to reduce my military force (a total of 10 armies securing these 3 holdings), the last one for imperial authority. I had North America, and a war score large enough to ask for Guyenne and Luneburg. Then I had two choices for Africa: either force them to give it to me, for a +3 infamy, or wait for it (how long?) to defect through war dynamisms. WE-wise, I selected the first one.

The area south of Siam is known as the Malay Peninsula, not the Siam peninsula, since the Siamese kingdoms never ruled over it. Siamese rule (and British colonialism) stopped at the border somewhere in the northern part of the peninsula and it was one of our more profitable colonies back in the days =P

Thanks, didn't know that. I was going to argue that we say "Siam peninsula" in French, but it seems that I am wrong too in my own language: Malay Peninsula, or Malacca Peninsula, both in French and English... :(
I've looked at Siam kingdom maps and its maximal expansion down the peninsula.... is my current North border.... then really no way to call it Siam peninsula, you are right :p

Eugenio = brother of Ferndinando (III ?)
Vitorrio Amedeo = brother of Eugenio
=> Vitorrio Amedeo = brother of Ferdinando

You are right. The problem is for the Eugenio / Vitorrio Amedeo relationship: they are father and son. My bad. Thanks, it is corrected.

BTW, how do I decide who is son/brother/nephew of the previous king? Unlike other games (CK I guess, the Total War series for sure), there is no clean genealogy in EU3 (this is one of the few points MEIOU did not improve on vanilla), so I can only guess. I look at the ages of the successive heirs (since we don't have the age of the ruler...): Eugenio was 4 years younger than Ferdinando, so he was his brother. Vitorrio Amedeo was 19 years younger than Eugenio, so he was his son. Now... he might have been the son of another (and already dead) brother of Ferdinando (therefore still Ferdinando's nephew), but he might not have been Ferdinando's son, otherwise he would have been the heir at his birth (or Ferdinando II's death, as he was 5).

EU3 (with or without MEIOU) tends to become a WC-game if you are really successful in late 15th / 16th / early 17th century ...

I am not sure if I can do a WC yet: it is about half game, and I control (if I count my vassals/unions) about half the provinces... I may or may not do it. So far I had only one regency council, which only lasted 2 months, so I have been able to expand continuously, but many things might happen.
For instance, as soon as round XXIX...
an ambitious but poorly MIL-skilled ruler losing 5 stacks of 15 against 5 1-regiment revolts because of low military maintenance, or so eager to clean his borders in Africa that... he reaches his infamy limit...

Last edited:
There's a reason why even Charles the Great decided to break up his mega Austro-Spanish empire

for me, "Charles the Great" is Charlemagne, so you probably refer to the 843's Verdun treaty.... The Frankish tradition was to split the nation between the sons of its previous ruler: Louis, Charles and Pepin were supposed to receive each a third of the Empire. None of them would receive the title of Emperor. But Charles and Pepin died a few years before Charlemagne, while he was already old, so his son Louis received the full realm, and the title of Emperor. At Louis' death, the Empire is split between his three sons: Louis, Pepin and Lothaire, forming France, Germany and Lotharingia-Lombardia. Lothaire itself divided his realm to his three sons in 855: Lotharingia-Lombardia will be split between Lotharingia, Lombardia and Provence... Nothing really "decided" here but the law...

Now your "Austro-Spanish" probably refers to Charles V, who did split his empire between his son Philippe (Spain, Naples, Sicily, Burgundy, Netherlands) and his brother Ferdinand (Germany, Austria)... I do not know Charles V as much as I do know Charlemagne, but my understanding is that Charles V, old and sick, and exhausted by the conflicts with France, the Lutherians, and his own family, just "gave up". He sort of "rage quit", giving the protestants troublemakers to his troublemaker of brother, and the rich and stable nations to his beloved son, before retreating. I am not sure his coat of arms was the reason why he did that :)