• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I only played the demo twice but I think you can use your national focus to encourage the capitalists to build factories. There might be other ways too.

Yeah I think I'll try this for my 2nd try of the demo. I have to use my national focus at the beginning of the game to beat the British to Washington and the Mexicans to Oregon, but later on I'll switch it to capitalists.

In states where there are no factories money from the national bank is sometimes used to build a factory. At least that's what I read in another thread.

Yeah I read that as well, but none of the capitalists outside of the northeast seemed to be raising enough funds to get started on any projects, even railroads.

Am I able to manually build factories?

The problem is the first time I played through the demo I got 1 new factory in New England, 1 new factory in New York and 1 expansion of a factory, but not a single factory funded by my capitalists formed outside the 4 states that start with one.

So if my economic system only lets my capitalists build factories themselves, then how do I get them to build factories outside the northeastern 4 states?

i had quite a few being built by the end of the demo - i had zero taxes on the rich and and had researched several industrial techs which had really boosted raw materials

When I was fighting Mexico, my first few fights with them very touch and go but after that each successive "wave" was easier for my armies to defeat.

Their probably left port or you occupied the province it was in port at and so that fleet was ejected, they probably didn't just suddenly build a complete fleet.

I think the problem is with the war exhaustion mechanic. After wiping their whole army of 14 or so brigades, they had a war exhaustion of 3%. Can you imagine the US losing 3 divisions worth of troops to the last man in this day and age? WE should be way higher than 3% after your starting army is wiped out. WE should also rise as your foreign debt level does, and via blockades.

And I sunk their starting 2 naval units, I checked back later and they had 6 naval plus 10 brigades to my 24 and 23 naval.

I noticed this as well. As I pushed through Texas, they sent around 25 divisions up and I had to fight for a white peace. Fighting Britain though the most they sent into Canada was around 10, plus the 33 divisions they had stacked sitting north of Marquette, of course they are a little farther away :).

Minor Bug: If the US takes the unlikely route of ending slavery through political reform, the Slavery Debates modifier sits around forever boosting consciousness.

Craftsmen, even while employed, are constantly starving, probably because their needs are absurdly high in the POP files. Farmers and laborers get all their needs, so you get a cycle of promotion to craftsmen to try to fill a factory and then demotion when the workers at a profitable factory can't make ends meet.

Artisans also starve a lot, even at 0 taxes. Not sure what could possibly be done for them.

Tuning colonial states into full states with the Encourage Bureaucrats focus will not work if there is an existing non-primary culture bureaucrat POP, because that POP just grows instead of being replaced.

Also somehow industrial subsidies got turned on for all my new factories at some point, not sure how that could have happened. Pretty expensive.

You're missing the point. It's not that it's hard, it's that their army is never-ending. Which is both entirely unhistorical, and a symptom of having negligible damage to soldier POPs. Yes, Mexico is still a bit of a pushover, but it shows signs of a problem with the war component of Vicky 2, namely that brigades can continue to be produced infinitely by any country, since manpower is never an issue.

Well, the damage to the POP can be tweaked I guess. Someone could try playing a game with 4:1 or maybe even less and write about it.

I quite liked it.

I quite liked it, was quite easy to start playing, but still quite a bit to discover. Only thing I didn't like (but prolly already mentioned) that I occuped about 80% of British possessions in North-America, the other 20% was occupied by rebel forces and no British troops in North-America and still, due too many sloppy battles, about 0% warscore and no realistic peace deal to achieve. So seemed that the balance between battle losses and land occupied is quite a bit off regarding warscore calculation.

Anyway, was fun to play Victoria again. :)

Last edited:
Sadly, still no user interface scaling. I have to run the demo at 1600x900 with a 1920x1080 LCD, otherwise everything would be much to small. (The main font doesn't seem very readable, either; though replacing vic_18.* with Arial_17.* in the gfx\fonts folder constitutes an improvement.)

As a note, I just played through the demo again with 25% casualties to pop damage, and it played much more historically. Mexico still wasn't a complete pushover, but they couldn't just throw 10 brigade stack after 10 brigade stack at me, and I actually had a few brigades who were too injured to reinforce. So, overall, not sure that 25% is the perfect spot, but I was much happier with it, since attrition started to tell by the end of the Mexican-American War. They still had a couple small stacks running around, but they didn't toss out a brigade in every province every month like they did before I adjusted it. And casualties weren't obscenely high; I probably caused 80,000 casualties to the Mexicans all told, maybe a bit more, which is still higher than would have likely been possible historically, but it seemed to have damaged the soldier POPs, instead of the pre-nerf wars where I'd do 200,000 and Mexico wouldn't even flinch.

Demo performace incredible

Is the demo a full representation of the game? If so, you guys did an awesome job streamlining the engine. The demo runs completely lag free and scrolls smooth as silk even on my crappy old Dell Optiplex. I really expected not to be able to play this game since HOI3 runs choppy on my dinosaur. Here to hoping the release version runs as well as the demo!

Sadly, still no user interface scaling. I have to run the demo at 1600x900 with a 1920x1080 LCD, otherwise everything would be much to small. (The main font doesn't seem very readable, either; though replacing vic_18.* with Arial_17.* in the gfx\fonts folder constitutes an improvement.)
Hopefully sagji will do something like his HoI3 high-res interface mod for Vicky2 (although it is currently only for screens at least 1200 pixels high which wouldn't help you).

Dunno if anybody else had the same problem. I (USA), allied with Texas, was fighting Mexico, and won some battles. But Mexico still occupied two or three Texas provinces, while I had none of the Mexican territories. Then Mexico offered a white peace, but I could not see any information (prestige/infamy/militancy gained) anywhere, only after I accepted the white peace (because I didn't want to continue the expensive war) did I find I lost 10 prestige.

I guess the same problem happened to OHG when he played France in beta test, and lost 10 prestige after accepting peace with the Ottoman in the Ottoman invasion of Tunisia, and he didn't really know why he lost the 10 prestige.:wacko:

Dunno if anybody else had the same problem. I (USA), allied with Texas, was fighting Mexico, and won some battles. But Mexico still occupied two or three Texas provinces, while I had none of the Mexican territories. Then Mexico offered a white peace, but I could not see any information (prestige/infamy/militancy gained) anywhere, only after I accepted the white peace (because I didn't want to continue the expensive war) did I find I lost 10 prestige.

I guess the same problem happened to OHG when he played France in beta test, and lost 10 prestige after accepting peace with the Ottoman in the Ottoman invasion of Tunisia, and he didn't really know why he lost the 10 prestige.:wacko:

My second time around hitting Mexico I was able to drive deep into the south of Mexico. They like to swing up and around the fighting and make you break off divisions to handle it. I only had the option of white peace coming to the aid of the Texans.

FWIW, just chiming in to thank the team for such an excellent, full-featured demo. It's wonderful to have access to the tutorial in advance so that we can hit the ground running when the full version drops.