• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Because the game allows you to store up to 999999 resources of anything, I was thinking maybe that should be capped based on 3-5x the resources needed to run at full IC for a year.

After all, it's unrealistic to have a "strategic storage" with unlimited capacity.

yeas it's unrealistic but i love unlimited resources (or no waste resource at all).

So, from my mind: +1
from my hoi2 love: -1

Please add a modifier to the misc.txt that defines how much dissent is gained after releasing a new country.

Also support for the already existing loyalty values of ministers and leaders would be great, not necessarily new game mechanics but just new event triggers and commands.
Maybe a command to change the values by event and a command that lets defect all divisions under control of a leader with loyalty 'X or lower' to a specified country/rebels.
An addition to the sleepleader command to sleep all leaders with a loyalty of 'X or lower' would be nice, too. Especially for officer-purge-like events.

In addition to this the loyalty value of ministers could affect coup chance and spy missions' effectiveness in general like dissent already does.

We need the ability to change the capital if needed! of course only to another core province.
It should be difficult to do so, to prevent switching it too often. even it should cost a lot of ic (simulating the transportation of administrative building&pers) or give a big dissent hit (15%?), or both.
Our last mp was ruined because su-ger land forces was even, but ger strat bombers were able to bomb Moscow from Helsinki. As they bombed Moscow infra to 3% (with 4-5bombing run) all of su troops were on ese10%!
It was disasterous for the army! it was even much worse than if ger captured Moscow.
Same goes for encircling the capital, but not capturing it. Encircle Moscow and wait 'till everyone starve to death from Murmansk to Kamchatky.

A surrounded capital situation is best covered with events moving the capital to another major core province. Bombing the capital province infra to zero to reduce ESE for all troops is a major bug in need of correction.

Maybe the ESE calculation should be based on the capital province base infrastructure , not on the modified (and possibly damaged) infra values.

A nice little thing that all Clausewitz games but also Darkest Hour have: Make it possible to scroll and zoom the map when menus are opened. This makes peace negotiations less tedious as you can look on the map which provinces to take/offer while in the peace screen.

Further extend the user definable country tags. Right now they range from UA0 to UF9 (+ the old U_Number_Number tags of course).
What speaks against UA0 to UZ9? Isn't the 'every tag added, even if unused, makes the game go slower'-thing only a Clausewitz-engine issue?

Improving game mechanics - part XVIII

re: financial planning by the ai

In my latest handsoff-game I made (during the April of 1940) a quick check of many majors to see how they fare. One unwanted similarity was their measly cash reserve which mostly was barely above 100$.

A quite simple solution would be to set their default research funding to 50% so that they actually start building up a cash reserve. An added bonus would be that they could spent more money for trading needed resources. Over-funding of research, i.e. 100% research speed, should only be activated by event or in the ai files.

PS: Although I'm not the first to ask for this it's worth repeating. ;)

Improving game mechanics - part XIX

The ai should learn that empty fleets don't need a commander.

A surrounded capital situation is best covered with events moving the capital to another major core province. Bombing the capital province infra to zero to reduce ESE for all troops is a major bug in need of correction.

Maybe the ESE calculation should be based on the capital province base infrastructure , not on the modified (and possibly damaged) infra values.

Tbh the capital province should simply be exempt from this calculation. ESE should mainly be based upon the infra of the provinces between the capital and the front line provinces.

re surrounded capital: this wouldn't be such a problem if we wouldn't have this artficial unlimited warehouse which stores all resources of a nation. This would only be acceptable if it'd be a (small) strategic reserve while most of the resources would be stored where they're needed - in the industrial centers.

Hi,
I apologize if that was already mentioned.

The-second-Doomsday-Booster-Pack-could-look-like-this: Build-your-own-division

It is an old suggestion thread from wyK1NG for HOI2..
I wished it would have been included in AoD..

It is IMHO a very cool suggestion thread.
Maybe to much for a patch, but I guess most would like to pay again to have it finally ingame .. ;)

Kind regards,
Chromos

Dont let your puppet nations start wars even if you have puppet that are not in your collation but involved in a war.

Dont let your puppet nations start wars even if you have puppet that are not in your collation but involved in a war.

Yes!
And when a master has/makes a NAP with a country, that should also count for the master's puppets. I hate it when I make a NAP with a country... and it simply declares war on my puppet.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but if I have a huge stockpile of energy or something I would still like to be able to trade some away even if I don't have a positive daily balance.

Hi,
I apologize if that was already mentioned.

The-second-Doomsday-Booster-Pack-could-look-like-this: Build-your-own-division

It is an old suggestion thread from wyK1NG for HOI2..
I wished it would have been included in AoD..

It is IMHO a very cool suggestion thread.
Maybe to much for a patch, but I guess most would like to pay again to have it finally ingame .. ;)

Kind regards,
Chromos

I would be content with them just editing the exe so that misc.txt would let you alter the number of brigades that can be attached to different land divisions (e.g. _EV_CV_MAX_ATTACH) I'm guessing the most difficult areas would be making sure the game properly calculates a unit's statistics for having multiple brigades attached (and having to do it for every division type) and allowing the player to attach multiple brigades of the same type (although that would not be explicitly necessary). Air divisions could be a plus too...but most people don't seem to be clamoring for that like they do for multiple land brigades.

They wouldn't even need to change the game at all - just provide the means for modders to utilize the mechanics and balance things independently. Then the community can use it as it sees fit. A mod could then alter divison statistics so that it represents the basic manpower necessary for the fully formed divison - as though it were a battalion of HQ and supply and logistical support (with fairly mediocre stats by itself). Then allow the player to attach 2-3 brigades (whatever the mod sets) to actually build the type of division they want (the brunt of major statistics like soft attack and toughness and such).

A bonus would be if the scenario definition files or technology tree could alter the number of brigades individual countries could attach (but that would be quite a bit more work since it would probably involve creating an entirely new command and syntax and such for it).

I hope the developers add my Updated minsters/leaders and missing tec teams pictures/csv pack for the next patch it fills many small holes..

Apologies if any have already been mentioned as someone who has just returned to AOD...

1. Intelligence

A revamp of the intelligence system to simply assign a set amount of money to spying operations against each country, rather than accumulating spies, which then is reflected in intelligence obtained on that country. (More representative of a combination of technical intelligence, diplomats, undercover agents, secret reconnitoiring, etc)

You should automatically have rough estimates of military units for countries that have open societies/democracies (unless at war). For example - number of capital ships was known in the pre-war period.

2. Diplomacy

Money should be used to pay for military and civil expenses, tech research, etc rather than the rather hazy concept of "buying" influence and other diplomatic initiatives.
Influencing another nation should come out of some national influence pool, constantly recharging over time, dependent on a nation's IC, military size, belligerence, etc to better represent diplomatic influence.

3. Standing Army vs Drafted Army

Better differentation would be nice and more realistic, it seems there is little incentive to bother with drafted army.
A fully drafted army should be extremely cheap but ineffective, whilst a standing army should be horrendously expensive but very formidable.

Improving game mechanics - part XX

As helpful the ability of the ai to promote leaders on spot is, it does create some unwanted situations which have to be considered. e.g. Nat. China loves to promote von Falkenhausen. But once he - by using the giveleader command - returns to GER he would never be allowed to keep his rank of field marshall. So we actually need a new command which does allow us to reset his rank when he returns:

type = reset_leader_rank which = [leader ID] value = X
# change the rank of the specified leader to another rank
# X = 0, i.e. Field Marshal
# X = 1, i.e. General
# X = 2, i.e. Lt. General
# X = 3, i.e. Major General

(same scheme used like in leader files)

Improving game mechanics - part XXI

re ships & their attachments:

You'd be able to add several brigades. The old command

type = build_division which = [division type] value = [brigade type]

should be expanded to

type = build_division which = [division type] value1 = [brigade1 type] value2 = [brigade2 type] value3 = [brigade3 type] value4 = [brigade4 type] value5 = [brigade5 type] value6 = [brigade6 type] value7 = [brigade7 type] etc.