• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rivkah Interviews: Cibbav

We sit in front of the camera this time. "So, you're the woman making my little brother or sister."

"Well, technically it will be your mother's making. Gamete modification techniques tweak the starting conditions."

"So, my new brother or sister will be a different species?"

"Yes. A Human derived species, as it is necessary to ensure that a Human woman can nurture the child."

"How sure are you that it would work?"

"We aren't. The simulations say it's possible. But your mother is our only guinea pig. Others are volunteering if things go well."

"What's your goals for the technology long term?"

"We have several fundamental goals. The first is to ensure that couples like your parents will be able to have biological children of their own. The second is to enable us to adapt all kinds of lifeforms to different environments. A third goal is the creation of artificial lifeforms, and eventually up to seeding entire ecosystems."

"So my brother or sister is just the beginning?"

"Absolutely. We've spent the years since founding of the colony working on preparing for these goals. We're hugely excited. Nervous of course. But excited."

"How dangerous to Mum is this?"

"Quite. While Tipheret made notes on her experiences with her pregnancies with modified babies, we can't predict how it could affect Naomi to carry a child with Xenayan features."

"Caesarean section?"

"Absolutely. We could not recommend Naomi attempt vaginal birth under the circumstances."

"Do you think Mum is insane?"

"I would prefer not to speculate on your mother's mental state."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
"Do you think Mum is insane?"

"I would prefer not to speculate on your mother's mental state."
There are plenty of people willing to do such speculation, but I think Rivkah might have to pull some metaphorical teeth to get an answer.

"I would prefer not to speculate..." - that's probably a "yes, but I'm too afraid to admit it".

Biological children of different species... this could prove fascinating. The geneticists would also have to make sure that these new lifeforms aren't sterile, though - which is an issue with real hybrids (I think lions and tigers can mate and have offspring as an example of why simply making people isn't enough). Still, this could be the beginning of something wonderful.

Rivkah's Short Guide To The Kidore Star System

20230817100758_1.jpg

So, this is Kidore I. It's slightly bigger than Unity, with a strong magnetic field, extreme volcanic activity and an atmosphere of gaseous metals, which makes it a rich source for mining. And incredibly toxic and corrosive. Mum thinks we should put a massive sunshade in place and cool it down, but the time it would take is too much for us to wait for.

20230817101223_1.jpg

It's moon however, is... Yeah, not much going on. 97% carbon dioxide atmosphere. Utterly UV-saturated from the star.

20230817101308_1.jpg

Kidore II is pretty much like SolSys Mars. Big difference is that small crater just to the upper right of the valley between the two mountain ranges has a circular derelict alien structure inside it's walls. We think it was either a spun habitation starship or a particle accelerator.

20230817101402_1.jpg

Plenty of asteroids. Lots and lots of asteroids, some carbonaceous, some metallic, some ice.

20230817101449_1.jpg
20230817101550_1.jpg

Speaking of ice, there's these four. Kidore IV and V, and their moons, are all massive balls of ice. Kidore IV is an ice surface layer with liquid water beneath until it gets to pressure formed ice at the bottom, while Kidore V has metals buried beneath the ice. Moons are both iceballs. The Lukhuinites and Maggar are working on a pair of giant magnifying glasses so that they can warm these planets up and make them habitable.

20230817101624_1.jpg

Kidore VI. Our main refuelling depot thanks to it's Helium-3 and Hydrogen atmosphere.

20230817101712_1.jpg

Kidore VII is pretty much all Nitrogen, with Unity-like surface gravity at the one atmosphere density height. Rotation rate is insanely high, wind speeds are in the thousands of metres per second. We're planning on how we can set up turbines to extract that energy. The moon is another metallic core iceball.

20230817101802_1.jpg

And Kidore VIII. The last lonely iceball. Practically lightless thanks to the A-type star producing so little visible light out here.

20230428174043_1.jpg

And lastly, we have Home. Unity. Fairly old photo now, taken back when we only had the shuttles in orbit. Nowadays there's loads of orbital infrastructure and a massive dull-red glowing hunk of metal.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There are plenty of people willing to do such speculation, but I think Rivkah might have to pull some metaphorical teeth to get an answer.

She's just curious. Besides, she knows Naomi is a little bit crazy.

"I would prefer not to speculate..." - that's probably a "yes, but I'm too afraid to admit it".

Biological children of different species... this could prove fascinating. The geneticists would also have to make sure that these new lifeforms aren't sterile, though - which is an issue with real hybrids (I think lions and tigers can mate and have offspring as an example of why simply making people isn't enough). Still, this could be the beginning of something wonderful.

Yes.

Technically you can chain-hybridise most of the cats, it's a genetic degradation thing over time as to why they can't easily hybridise now.

But, this isn't hybridisation; this is using what was already a substantially modified Human genome from Atalyah HaMaadimi, and tweaking that genome to possess Xenayan-presenting traits to create a genetically engineered Human who looks like a Xenayan and therefore blends the best of both. Moral hazards abound of course, but Naomi is focused on winning; she needs more people, and this is only the beginning.

Of course, with the condensed time scale, we may or may not actually see the rise of Clone Vats; Naomi's planning ahead by declaring it an operating principle of law in Life2.0 that clones, tweaks, splices, neo-gens, baselines and droids are all equal and all individual persons does rather limit excesses like Battle Droid Armies, Gene Warrior Armies, Clone Armies, Xenomorph Armies and Horatios.

And to clarify the timescale, 2230 is roughly the period where Naomi and Rivkah and Rivkah's children and grandchildren settle down in victory on the Xenayan homeworld. You can extrapolate from that how aggressively Naomi will have to pursue cloning and self-replicating warforms if she doesn't accept help in the near future.

Reactions:
Wait, does Life 2.0 plan on checking out that possible particle accelerator? That thing sounds useful.

Paths To Take
"Paths To Take"
20th Odoos, 9 (2188)
Naomi Of Unity

I lie awake on our little overlook. Buri is sleeping peacefully.

I'm not.

My overriding quandary is this:

How do I win?

Every day that goes by is one more day for my enemies to marshal their forces and come here. I have a population of little over two million people. Three if I accept the moral hazard of child soldiers. Which I do, on a voluntary basis.

The data on MSI Valerius brought with him shows a civilisation composed of more than a trillion Olinbar, and estimates of two trillion Indentured Assets from fifty races. And that is only for this subsection of MSI; the wider galaxy has the sending corporation too, and they are big enough they don't even try to track this much data.

We are... A blip.

I look at my husband. In a month's time Buri will get me pregnant, hopefully. And hopefully my grandmother has made possible the future Ruki or Toki Of Unity - Buri's current choice of names for a son or daughter respectively. And yes, one genetically enhanced child is the start; theoretically the generation after them will all be enhanced like Ruki or Toki will be. But... I need a million times the colony's population of them. I need orders of magnitude more people, and...

I'm not getting younger; I'm almost fourty as it is. If Buri gets me pregnant every possible time until menopause sets in, that'll be... Six Human-Xenayans running around. And a very exhausted me. And I'm not really keen on giving birth in my fifties. Nor I am not looking forward to being cut open six times, because it'll have to be caesarean section births.

Natural population growth is therefore, not going to catch up quickly enough.

Cloning Vats are a possibility.

Droids are a possibility, especially now we have schematics for sub-sophont and sophont-level droids. But I'm wary of having a thousand droids for every one biological person, which is realistically what I'll need to make the war winnable.

Or, we accept outside help. But, anyone strong enough to protect us is strong enough to conquer us. I'm here to break the shackles, not accept new ones. I'd rather be crucified than go back into slavery, whether the slavers are Olinbar or Prikki or someone else doesn't matter.

So, we'll need alliances with the other pre-FTL civilisations; only by cooperation can we free ourselves - we mustn't become pawns in someone else's games.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

When I think about what I've already paid...

I have killed.

Hortensus. Cut his throat with his own blade.

Gaius. I cut him down in pieces.

Claudia. Stabbed in the heart with her husband's blade.

And Hortensus wasn't the only one in that fight I killed with that dagger. Or his pistol. On the Flagship I cut down a whole load of Olinbar with my rapier, killed more with shotgun shells and grenades. And the blood of this whole war is on my hands, being Arch-Imperatrix; hundreds of nuclear missiles were fired at the Flagship on my orders. Now I am authorising the development of a fleet of vessels that use a small nuclear war - or thermonuclear war in the case of the bigger versions we can't yet build - to get anywhere. And there will be a lot more death to come.

We know that.

It's why we have ships of 400m diameter pusher-plate Orions with tens of thousands of Megaton-yield thermonuclear weapons on the drawing boards.

I look at my husband. A tear falls from my eye.

If the price of freedom is six pregnancies, I'll pay it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait, does Life 2.0 plan on checking out that possible particle accelerator? That thing sounds useful.
It's on their to-do list, but of necesssity military operations take a higher priority than research operations.

Now I'm more worried about Naomi. The combined stresses of ruling and raising children at the same time will definitely push her to some limit, one that could shorten her lifespan.

I'll cross my fingers and wish Naomi gets a peaceful off-ramp from rulership to raise her kids like Jacinda Ardern... but at this point, I know better. Naomi seems like she's committed for the long haul.

Consultation
"Consultation"
21st Odoos, 9 (2188)
Duxanek

I enter the room. There's a circular table. Around it are all but one of the colony's leadership. Well, two, but Alexandra is listening in when the light travel time delay catches up; Thando is in the background.

"Good evening. I've gathered us here because as Chief Medical Officer, it is my job to look after the colony. Therefore, I have been monitoring Naomi. Naomi's mental health is deteriorating. Such that I believe Naomi is not mentally well enough to be in her position, and I believe that she has to be temporarily stood down before her health endangers the colony. I want to consult everyone before I go to her to tell her I'm relieving her of duties."

I wait to see if anyone comments. Worried faces everywhere. Some nods.

I look at Rivkah. "Rivkah, would you tell the others what you told me that led me to convene this?"

She's hesitant. Drags her claws on the floor beneath her chair. "Honestly, Mum really isn't well."

I nod as I lean in. "There's more."

Rivkah blurts it out. "She has a cyanide pill."

Buri looks at his daughter, then the rest of us. "She doesn't believe that She could cope with losing me."

I point out the diagnostic information I left on the table. "The ingestion of cyanide in sufficient dosage is lethal to Humans. Naomi is undergoing suicidal thoughts, and it is consistent with her stoically facing life-long trauma and suffering depression."

Ykrett shakes his head. "I won't say she isn't a bit crazy, but Naomi is not suicidal."

Cibbav speaks next. "Normally, Naomi just lets me get on with my work. We worked out the broad strokes years ago, and she gave me resources when I asked for them, but otherwise let me get on with the projects. Since Thando brought Tipheret's research and laboratory tools, Naomi's become obsessed with becoming pregnant."

Alexandra presses her buzzer as Thando comes to the mic. "She's not herself."

Monica talks next. "She is depressed. I mean, she's an ex-prostitute. She's used to being used until she's used up. It makes perfect sense she's been pushing herself to breaking point."

Buri nods again. "And She is anxious." He pauses. "Very anxious. She doesn't sleep. Hasn't had a proper night's sleep since the Flagship."

I look at him. "Buri, would you agree that she could use time off work to rest and recover?"

"Yes. Yes, She needs it."

I look around the table. "Anyone here who thinks she's ok?"

Silence.

Only Ykrett disagrees. "She's not well, granted. But she's doing the best she can. Have we considered what making her stop will do to her?"

Buri nods. "She... Isn't the best at resting. Her anxiety will get worse."

I look at them both. "I understand that. But we have to think about the colony. If Naomi isn't mentally sound, then we have to give her time to recover."

Rivkah squirms in her chair again. "Mum's been training me to lead. But... I'm nervous about it."

"I'm not suggesting that we retire her. Just give her a break."

Buri looks at Cibbav. "If you can give her a placeholder while continuing the project, then I can take her away on a romantic break."

"Actually, we're progressing really well with it - Daas building some of the much more powerful computers in the Archives has really boosted how quickly we can iterate solutions. We might actually be able to do it for this mating season."

I interrupt. "She is not mentally well enough for being pregnant."

Alexandra presses her buzzer again. "Equally it would be the perfect opportunity to give her maternity leave."

Odoos looks at everyone. "Who will lead us while Naomi is out of action?"

Caeso raises a hand. "May I speak?"

I nod.

"I can't help but see her mother when I look at Naomi. But she isn't her mother as much as she tries to be. I perceive that the leadership has grown so dependent on her that simply asking the question of who leads in her absence has become an issue. I propose that we put Rivkah in charge of domestic leadership, and Alexandra in charge of military leadership while Naomi has maternity leave. They are both good choices whom Naomi would trust to lead while she recovers."

Rivkah squirms. "I'm not ready."

Shendredie smiles to her. "Think of it as practice, little one."

That makes her think. "I suppose. But I'll need support, I can't do everything that Mum does. I don't have her ideas."

"We have the Holocron and the Archive. Plenty of ideas. And we aren't getting rid of her, just resting her while we can."

There's nods, murmurs of agreement. Rivkah has a brave face on. Thando and Alexandra are looking in their eyes while discussing themselves.

I stand. "I will consult the Holocron and see what thoughts he suggests, and then I will inform Naomi. I'm the one who can actually order her to stand down, after all."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wow! Less than 10 hours after I worry Naomi's health is going to effect her work, the colony's leadership uses my own argument to stage a bloodless coup against her.

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut. o_O

It's been building up for a while. But, Rivkah starts asking around because she wants to check what other people think, and that means she goes to Duxanek in confidence, and Duxanek checks in with Buri as he knows her best, and Buri's information confirms her suspicions. After that, comes this.

Second Opinion
"Second Opinion"
21st Odoos, 9 (2188)
Duxanek

I walk inside the hallway of the HaMaadimi residence, where the Holocron has been moved to. The building is largely thatch with clay walls, and lined with projectors. Presumably, he has an-always on background power state that responds to being addressed.

I speak loudly. "Activate, authorisation Duxanek, Chief Medical Officer."

He switches on. Human male I expected, white skin and blue eyes I didn't. Hair and beard as unkempt as the colony's Wildfolk. Interesting, given Naomi and Thando are at the opposite end of the spectrum of Human skin tones. "Please state the nature of your inquiry."

"Naomi's mental health has deteriorated to the extent that I find it necessary to relieve her of duties and order her to rest. I want your help."

He shrugs. "It runs in the family. How exactly is it manifesting?"

"She's showing suicidal behaviours, and suffers depression and anxiety. Her daughter and husband have confirmed that she's not well, and I have consulted with the colony's other leadership to work out a plan to run things while she takes time off to recover."

I can see the creases form in his face as he paces the room, running his hand through the beard. he stops to speak. "The old issues then. When you talk to her, frame it in terms of the effects on those around her; discussing it on the basis of how it affects her isn't going to work. Another old family trait, highly likely exacerbated by what she's gone through."

"What other recommendations?"

"Tell her to think of it as an opportunity to test one of the foundational beliefs I instilled into the dynasty. She'll know what that means."

"Anything else?"

"It would be fascinating if you needed anything else."

I look at him. "How do I handle it if she reacts badly?"

"Tranquiliser dart." He laughs, but I am... Not quite convinced he's joking. i decide not to ask.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that is quite the twist. I can't say I disagree with the move. Let's hope Rivkah and Alexandra can lead while Naomi rests (and hopefully gets some kids).

Am I the only one worried about Naomi's new ideological rigidity? I can get not wanting to become a puppet, but being paranoid about all FTL civilizations is... extreme. I worry that it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Diagnosed
"Diagnosed"
22nd Odoos, 9 (2188)
Duxanek

I take the night to sleep on the decision.

And I wake still convinced it is the right thing to do.

I'm back at the HaMaadimi residence, only now that I'm walking inside, I see the abstract artwork on the walls. Technically, this is Thando's place of course, but Alexandra and Naomi both have this place as the official house now. I open the doors to the courtyard - Chief and HK-47b walk the grounds, and Buri did as he said he would; Naomi and Rivkah are here. The three of them are curled up together in the shade of the tree in the courtyard.

I take a seat, and wait.

The Droid approaches me. "Good morning HK-47b."

"Statement: Yes, it is, well observed Meatbag. The two squelching balls of jelly you call eyes have not failed you."

"Do me a favour and wake Naomi."

"Observation: I am an assassination droid, not an alarm clock."

I scowl.

He's got a rather malevolent grin for a droid. "Resigned statement: Very well Meatbag." A pistol deploys from an arm and fires several rounds at the target range in the corner of the courtyard. The three of them wake, and look at HK-47b first. "Clarificiation: Mistress Naomi, you have a guest."

She gets up, and walks towards me. Quickly at first, until she slows, and looks back at her husband and daughter. She opens her mouth, then closes it again. Buri and Rivkah take her hands. She looks at me. "I am being relieved of duty?"

"Yes. I'm sorry Naomi, but... The way your mental health is deteriorating is such that I must relieve you of command."

She bites her lip. Pauses. Sighs. "I stand relieved."

Buri and Rivkah walk her to a bench, and the four of us sit down. "Who is taking my place?"

Rivkah squeezes her hand. "I'm managing domestic aspects, Alexandra is taking military aspects."

"Who's on foreign policy?" He eyes dart away very briefly at the other Reptilian in the courtyard, before refocusing on us.

"We're going to follow your previous policies."

"When am I allowed to return to work?"

"When you are well. I'm sorry Naomi, but you are suffering depression and anxiety, and I have reason to believe you are also suffering suicidal tendencies. I can't allow these to endanger the colony."

"I... Yeah, I understand."

"I've already discussed this with all the colony's leadership. And I spoke to the Holocron about it; he told me to tell you 'to think of it as an opportunity to test one of the foundational beliefs of the dynasty'."

That makes her smile. "Yeah. I'm always saying I believe they can do anything I can do, now it's time to prove that right."

Rivkah looks at her father mischievously. "Take her away and confine her to rest Dad."

Buri looks at Rivkah. Then Naomi. Then back at Rivkah. Then he sweeps Naomi off her feet, drapes her over a shoulder and carries her away. Naomi smiles as she snuggles up with him.

I think she's relieved.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that is quite the twist. I can't say I disagree with the move. Let's hope Rivkah and Alexandra can lead while Naomi rests (and hopefully gets some kids).

Am I the only one worried about Naomi's new ideological rigidity? I can get not wanting to become a puppet, but being paranoid about all FTL civilizations is... extreme. I worry that it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
The ideological change is an example of how she's not thinking normally, but instead how her reasoning is dominated by anxiety. It's an example of the changes Duxanek has in mind when she says Naomi's deteriorating condition risks harming the colony.

What if new foreign policy concerns arise? Who will handle those? Alexandra?

Rivkah's Diary, 22nd Odoos, 9
Rivkah's Diary
22nd Odoos, 9 (2188)

So, my first day as CEO and High Queen.

Wake up, hunt down tasty furry things. Then after breakfast, I head to the capital to manage paperwork.

I feel inadequate at this point; I have to understand a little bit of just about everything to do the CEO job. Being High Queen is much easier.

Obviously Mum's raised me to understand bits of everything, but it's unnerving telling subject matter experts what they have to do.

Like...

There's a set of proposals on my desk. The first 12m Orion pusher-plate module finishes production in three weeks. Now there's a lot of demand for different missions to use it for; one proposal wants to send a research operation to Kidore II to probe the alien structure inside the crater. The engineering team want to use it for shakedown and test-to-destruction testing. The navy want to run operational tests. Other science teams want to investigate other worthy projects. Altogether, there's twenty three ideas for how to use this first pusher-plate.

Obviously Mum will have made the decision before, but they're thinking it's worth a try to resubmit their ideas.

How do I pick?

It takes me most of the morning to read the proposal reports, and eventually I make the decision to send it on the test to destruction plan, because we need to know where the limits of the design truly are. After all, you can only get so far with spherical chickens in a vacuum.

I wonder where Mum got that from.

So yeah, that was my first morning, finishing with writing up a memo explaining my decision.

Mostly I'm reading reports. There's a lot more bureaucracy than there was the last time I stood in for Mum - or maybe they didn't show me it all because I was a child then - so there's status reports from the sixty odd departments that make up our government.

Then there's military matters. Alexandra is busy with Thando on their honeymoon, and everyone is used to sending reports into Naomi's office anyway. So I'm also looking at logistics management, ammunition manufacturing reports, nuclear weapons stockpile reports (four thousand kiloton-yield anti-ship missiles produced in the last month) soldier demobilisation reports...

It's a lot of reading. Still, by the end of the day, I've come to the conclusion that the colony is doing ok. I send a memo to the 26m pusher-plate module team to ask what resources they'd need to increase their production rate after the tests conclude, and then curl up in a corner.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: