• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Halibutt said:
And von dem Bachs guilt is not beyond question? Is it disputable in any way? Is there anyone denying that he has blood of over 500.000 civilians on his hands (not counting the soldiers, partisans and POWs)? Ridiculous and frightening.

Halibutt I really think we should close this discussion,I have a feeling it bores people.von dem Bach will not leave the file because he was freed of any accusation and a main witness for the Allieds in Nuremberg.I have said before that I don't like the guy and what he did,but I will faithfully stick to the pattern we have laid out.

I seriously suspect that the main reason for your specific disgust against von dem Bach is because he was the general who killed off Bor-Komorowski's uprising.Why don't you look at it this way,as a German General he could hardly have Rebels taking over Warsaw...right?.Why don't you vent your anger to the real guilty in Bor-Komorowski's defeat..Soviet and England.Nothing could please the Soviet more than the Germans killed off a possible resistance to a commie Poland.That was why the waited on the other side of the river.And nothing could please the British more,than a democratic movement was crushed by the Germans because that way they would not have to answer unpleasant questions about the percentage deal with Soviet where Poland had long been sold off completely to Soviet.That is where you should vent your anger,von dem Bach did his job,no matter how unpleasant a guy he was.

birch23 said:
Halibutt I really think we should close this discussion,I have a feeling it bores people.von dem Bach will not leave the file because he was freed of any accusation and a main witness for the Allieds in Nuremberg.I have said before that I don't like the guy and what he did,but I will faithfully stick to the pattern we have laid out.

I seriously suspect that the main reason for your specific disgust against von dem Bach is because he was the general who killed off Bor-Komorowski's uprising.Why don't you look at it this way,as a German General he could hardly have Rebels taking over Warsaw...right?.Why don't you vent your anger to the real guilty in Bor-Komorowski's defeat..Soviet and England.Nothing could please the Soviet more than the Germans killed off a possible resistance to a commie Poland.That was why the waited on the other side of the river.And nothing could please the British more,than a democratic movement was crushed by the Germans because that way they would not have to answer unpleasant questions about the percentage deal with Soviet where Poland had long been sold off completely to Soviet.That is where you should vent your anger,von dem Bach did his job,no matter how unpleasant a guy he was.
Enough.

Listen, it's not about my personal feelings towards Warsaw Uprising. I know its' background really well and don't have any problems with finding the responsibles for the failure. Nor is it about my personal feelings towards German generals at all and the german officers corps who took part in any war against my country. Whatever happens - war is their job and, however cruel it is, it's understandable.

However, some of the officers did more than just a war. Call me a child or call me an idealist - I don't care - I believe that there is a difference between a war and a mass murder. Killing enemy soldiers - even with gas or nuclear bombs - is a war. Organizing mass executions of civilians and prisoners of war after they surrendered - that's not a war. That's murder. Want to call it with a different word?

Sorry for strong language, but I don't give a shit about those five German commies von dem Bach killed personally. Nor do I care about the single SA member he killed because of personal reasons. What I do care is the 300.000 of civilians killed in mass executions in Warsaw. Not soldiers, not even partisans or 'bandits' as they were called by German propaganda. Women, children, men of all ages and proffesions. Defenceless civilians.

On every corner of the street in Warsaw there are small stone tabelets with a simple cross, date and number of shot, burned alive or hanged. Thirty here, fifty there, 250.000 altogether. If von dem Bach ordered to send them to concentration camps they would've had at least a slight chance of survival. He didn't. It was his choice, his decisions to continue with the policy of exterminating the whole city. It had nothing to do with Kremlin or Downing Street.

One of the places where the most civilians were killed (approx. 5.000 in one place), the tannery on Okopowa street, was just 800 metres away from von dem Bachs HQ. Yet he's innocent, he didn't know. He only commanded his troops, what they did was not his business, right? Or perhaps it was Churchill who ordered them shot and their bodies burned? There's an original of one of the reports Reinefarth sent to his supperior, von dem Bach, in which the earlier state that he has "more prisoners than ammo to kill them" and if he was to fulfil his orders, von dem Bach had to send him reinforcements. According to the Nazi German law (contrary to the Polish) a person is responsible if he or she directly ordered a crime or did not interfere. But von dem Bach apparently was not aware of that, right?

Also, whom should I blame for approximately 500.000 civilians in mass graves in Belarus? And the thousands of Poles sent from Silesia to Auschwitz in 1940? London and Moscow again? Was it Roosevelt who decided that the best way to destroy the partisans in Belarus is by killing all the civilians there? Or was it Stalin? I guess not.

I always refrain myself from pro personam arguments so I'll only say that I'm heavily disappointed with you. Apparently for you von dem Bach is just a general who did the very same job as Montgomerry, Patton, Zhukov, Kutrzeba or Gørtz. If I were one of them, I'd be offended by such comparison. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be some difference between Slobodan Milosevic and Margaret Thatcher. And it's not the gender I'm speaking of.

You state that you want to "faithfully stick to the pattern we have laid out". So, why don't you? Either we accept people who have never been sentenced by an independent jury for war crimes and commanded divisions on the front - in this case both Hitler and von dem Bach are in. Or we take into consideration the crimes they commited - and erase them. Either -- or, you can't be "a little pregnant". Of course there is a third option - that some murderers are better than the others. However, the last choice is even more offensive to me.

Anyway, the Paradox policy was not to include the bad things the Germans did during WWII in HoI. There are no mentions of death camps, ethnic cleansing, forced labour or ghettos in the game. Consistently, nobody ever argued that we should include gen. Gottlob Berger or gen. Odilo Globocnik on the leaders' list. I'd say we stick to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Badoglio event

I met an event, one of my (italian) ministers was plotting, so I ordered to shot him. So it was told me that Badoglio was finally dead (hurray! :rofl: ), but the dastard had survived as army commander! :mad: :mad: :mad: Please, please! Give us an option to have make this low man to disappear once for ever! :rofl:

German gentlemen

I noticed that two of the most famous gentlemen of WWII, the germans Bronislav Vladislavovich Kaminski (brigadeführer of 29th SS Division –commando?), and Oskar Dirlewanger (brigadeführer of 36th SS Division –offensive doctrine?), are not enclosed in the game. Is this a coscient choice, or have they just gone forgotten? Some special events might be linked to their eventual utilization by the player.

Hurin said:
I noticed that two of the most famous gentlemen of WWII, the germans Bronislav Vladislavovich Kaminski (brigadeführer of 29th SS Division –commando?), and Oskar Dirlewanger (brigadeführer of 36th SS Division –offensive doctrine?), are not enclosed in the game. Is this a coscient choice, or have they just gone forgotten? Some special events might be linked to their eventual utilization by the player.

They were left out on purpose. Both men were very disgusting people. And the so-called divisions they commanded were only "paper-divisions", so there's really no reason why they should be included...

Hurin said:
I met an event, one of my (italian) ministers was plotting, so I ordered to shot him. So it was told me that Badoglio was finally dead (hurray! :rofl: ), but the dastard had survived as army commander! :mad: :mad: :mad: Please, please! Give us an option to have make this low man to disappear once for ever! :rofl:

We have thought of linking the ministers-army files so they disappear if dead,however Badoglio was very much alive...:) it was Benito who died.Anyway it is something we don't really consider because it could be fatal for the small countries if we had to kill generals who dies as ministers.

Hurin said:

They were nothing but scum and therefor they are left out.Our policy have always been to avoid those directly involved in Endlösnung (in the army files) or people who simply were too gross like Dirlewanger.He has been followed by one Romanian General and one Japanese General.Else we have taken a rather lenient approach to these issues,cause we could end up with deleting a lot of generals in all files...and that is hardly what we set out for....:)

birch23 said:
They were nothing but scum and therefor they are left out.Our policy have always been to avoid those directly involved in Endlösnung (in the army files) or people who simply were too gross like Dirlewanger.He has been followed by one Romanian General and one Japanese General.Else we have taken a rather lenient approach to these issues,cause we could end up with deleting a lot of generals in all files...and that is hardly what we set out for....:)

...A romanian one? OK for the Japs, but Romanians do surprise me. Who was that gentleman?

Again about Graziani.
As a minister, I noticed he is a 'decisive battle doctrine', that's 10% bonus for most attacking units, enclosing motorized ones. Very far from the truth. The main reason for his defeat in Africa in 1940, was his incapacity into using motorized units and, overall, his fear to keep initiative and to begin a true offensive; he moved a few units a few miles forward, then he stopped, despite no relevant opposition was met, losing his good occasion. The British had thus the time to organize and took initiative, eventually erasing his huge, but static, army.
I propose him as a 'static defense doctrine', that fits better with the temper he showed.

birch23 said:

Does that mean, that Romanian and Japaneese generals were involved Endlösnung or were on the Wansee conference?

Sorry Birch, but seems like you simply choose to ignore Halibutt's post... Kaminsky/Dirlewanger are not included, while "soldier" (reserve captain) von dem Bach is?

I've been reading this discursion between Birch and Halibutt...

If we have to erase all criminals, I'll have to sweep half (or all) of the Spanish Nationalist file... and some Spanish Republicans too...

We are dealing with a lot of sons-of-a-bitch. But that's History, after all.

Ivan the red said:
I've been reading this discursion between Birch and Halibutt...

If we have to erase all criminals, I'll have to sweep half (or all) of the Spanish Nationalist file... and some Spanish Republicans too...

We are dealing with a lot of sons-of-a-bitch. But that's History, after all.

Ivan, I understand why we include military leaders that were criminals. I even (with some problems, though) understand, why Himmler is included, although his "adventure" with leadership was rather brief and we could easily deal without him, leaving him as the minister only (where he is really important).

Von dem Bach was not military leader. He was reserve captain who gained high SS police rank. All his work during the war were executions. The fact that in 1944 he commanded SS units (corps size) doesn't mean he was military - at the end of war Hitler simply let his trusted "policemen" lead his armies (see Himmler).

Now we have Rank 3 Lt. General Logistic Wizard leader. Not sure, if this trait is given him thanks for the idea of Auschwitz location or for his heroic war with USSR partisans. Or maybe for his work on Silesia? Or maybe in 1945 his Corps "Oder" made last stand so heroic, that it should be noted somewhere?

Kaminsky and Dirlewanger are "too gross", but their superior in police chain of command is not? Why?

Hurin said:
Again about Graziani.
As a minister, I noticed he is a 'decisive battle doctrine', that's 10% bonus for most attacking units, enclosing motorized ones. Very far from the truth. The main reason for his defeat in Africa in 1940, was his incapacity into using motorized units and, overall, his fear to keep initiative and to begin a true offensive; he moved a few units a few miles forward, then he stopped, despite no relevant opposition was met, losing his good occasion. The British had thus the time to organize and took initiative, eventually erasing his huge, but static, army.
I propose him as a 'static defense doctrine', that fits better with the temper he showed.

Well,it is also a matter of giving different minister traits to the available ministers..there is no point of having 6 replacements with Static Defence etc....:)

Copper Nicus said:
Does that mean, that Romanian and Japaneese generals were involved Endlösnung or were on the Wansee conference?

Sorry Birch, but seems like you simply choose to ignore Halibutt's post... Kaminsky/Dirlewanger are not included, while "soldier" (reserve captain) von dem Bach is?

No I did not ignore Halibutt's post,I just wants to close that discussion.In the case of the Romanian.He should actually be in like Eicke cause in contrast to what is usual for scum..:) he too was a good general,but his deeds both under Antonescu,and later the communists regime was of such a kind that I personally deleted him......(I use that prerogative cause of the work I have been doing on all this....:) The 2 Japanese I left out were both involved in the horrendous human experiments in Manchuria.I think that is a bit to gross to get in here.

What we have done in general is that we have used the not accused of an independent (that should be in "") court up to a point,cause as you know we have to take a more lenient approach when it comes to the politicians (who in my eyes all are scum....:)but that is another matter.

in af few cases when it comes to the generals we have let people in who did commit crimes(in all files) if we had to adopt the purist moral issue we would have very few left in many files.But we have set sort of a line in the sand when it comes to people like Dirlewanger etc.Eicke for instance has been in-out-in out-in...and that is only because he actually was a good general.But I kind of guess you can say that he is the only one (in the German file) who is on the wrong side of the line.

as for von dem Bach...oh well for the last time,He was NOT accused of anything which is more than you can say for a lot of people in the files.I do NOT like the man,in fact I think he is pitiful liar,who were only saved because he belonged to the highest nobility both Freiherr and Reichsgraf and was married into either Hohenzollern or Wittelsbach and was rather wealthy and had a lot of Allied friends(from the school days) but that is the way things work.Law is not necessary justice,but I will stick to the law contra some diffuse moral issues which would change from person to person.

Wonderfull, Birch, I've found a pic of Joaquín Benjume Burin... hidden in an obscure and non-politicaly related webpage about the history of the school of a small town, that bears his name!

Looks like your pichunting capabilities are countagious :D

PD: God Bless Google!!

joaquin_benjumea_burin

Looks a bit depressed, but it works, don't it? :)

Well, I've taken a spine from my back. I wish I could find two more historical rep ministers that refuse to appear. (Enrique Ramos y Ramos and Gabriel Franco López)

Last edited:
Ivan the red said:
Wonderfull, Birch, I've found a pic of Joaquín Benjume Burin... hidden in an obscure and non-politicaly related webpage about the history of the school of a small town, that bears his name!

Looks like your pichunting capabilities are countagious :D

PD: God Bless Google!!

joaquin_benjumea_burin

Looks a bit depressed, but it works, don't it? :)

Well, I've taken a spine from my back. I wish I could find two more historical rep ministers that refuse to appear. (Enrique Ramos y Ramos and Gabriel Franco López)

There's no pic...only a red X....:( on the otherside you won't believe where I have found generals and politians they really turn up the strangest places.I recall I found one Italian general by total accident by hitting a site concerning the museum which was founde by him in Gela btw.and there quite at the bottom...our general....:) another one almost brougt me to desperation Dall'Ara I kept getting to that memorial site for a famed opera singer It took quite a while before I realized that that site had several subsites with pics and OOPS there he was general Dall'Ara in full uniform having a glass of something with the opera singer.... :rofl:

and I could go on and on and on.Some of these guys really turns up the strangest places.I recall another funny incident,a long forgotten South American commie..I could not understand why I was returned to a bar/restaurant site...until I started slowly translating....and the bar/restaurant was named after the commies nickname.....duuuhhhhh..and there right at the top a nice drawing of the guy....and hehehe one of the British Generals I found on a site dedicated to rose growing (in full uniform et all...because that old guy had started that rosegrowing society...

And Luxembourg finished with csv ministers elections INC36 1 pic and sent...:)

Ivan could you sent me the Burin pic,there's only a little red X where it should be.

Lithuania thoughts

just finished of a massive Lihuania....cause I found so much gold...:) incl v.Ranteln and super quisling Kubeliunas and a real GOLD site 180 pics spanning from the area 1929-1940 incl politicians,generals(that was a real goody) and actors etc...

I sort of suspected that Lithuania would be same bloodsheed as the other Baltics,,but not so.actually they all more or less survived.There are reasons for that

commmies:These were from the start hardline ST and didn't really have a Trojan horse within them (Snieckus apart) which means that they survived.

FA (the starters) all was almost exiled peacefully after the commie takeover.
NS;a bunch of low characters who prooduced a holocaust similar to the 3rd.Reich and they all survived cause US/UK gave them asylum....shame on those countries.....:(
PA well there was a guerilla from both PA/NS/Commie/and LC (who were hit the hardest btw.) and that continued as far as 1955 (not many knows that I guess.The history of Ramanauskas is better than anything Hollywood could have dreamt up.

It is an interresting fact too that a lot of the Lithuania genrals were included in the Red Army and they too survived..some even with honour.I did not expect that.