• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Michael B

First Lieutenant
1 Badges
Jul 28, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
Hey , just trying to figure out this anti pope situation.

I do know that anti pope war doesnt work atm and is scheduled to be fixed in the next patch... However that wouldn't apply in the situation in my current game.

Situation is the anti pope in Metz is in the kingdom of France , but you can't declare anti pope war on France (even if it worked). This appears to be because the only ones who recognize this anti pope as their religious head are the count of Metz and his baron level vassals, his liege the Duke of upper Lorraine doesn't and neither does the king of France, so it appears the count of Metz has his own personal pope.

I,m trying to figure out how this even happened. ( I do recall kingdom of Italy declared this anti pope originally ). Since then Italy and France had same King , then later split apart re combined then combined again. Then split permanently again . ).

And next question is how to get rid of him? Is the only solution directly taking over Metz? Then pressing the anti popes claim on papacy?

How do you know who is acknowledging him? Is he landed? Who were his parents?

Oh it's not a new anti pope , it's the Pope in Metz, and been around for at least 100 years . Every time current occupant dies there is new anti pope with bishopric of Metz. And I checked to see the religuis head of a dozen or so likely charectors in the same realm. From the king to dukes bishops and close by counts , all except count of Metz have the pope in Rome as head.

Edit: hovering over charector portrait lists several things including religious head

Last edited:
You could also open up your savefile and do a little by-hand modding. If you remove the Anti-Pope character's claim on Rome, he will cease being an anti-Pope and you can get rid of him that way. I did that in my game after an Antipope war -should- have deposed him.

Who is his daddy, and what does he do?

6dc71cf2203e533422965b51ef761e438b8076aaa4e50d0cf360d0028c583d1a.jpg

Kindergarten Pope

Have the same issue. King of Bavaria created an anti-pope. By the 2nd generation anti-pope, I realized there was no depose anti-pope CB on the King of Bavaria. Checked the anti-pope, turns out his liege was the count of Kempten rather than the king. This makes it impossible to depose him (even if depose anti-pope CB worked) since you can't declare war on someone who isn't independent. The only way would be conquering the county itself. But it's not a border country, it's right in the middle of the kingdom. So obviously quite annoying. Is this a bug? I wonder how it even happens. I don't think this could be intended.

The work around untill the patch is to forge a claim on the county that the Anti-pope reigns from, take the county, given the county a new liege and grant that county independence. The Anti-Pope will end, however it wont trigger the CD and a new anti-pope will probably appear rather sooner.

This these last two replies are more in line with my intended question.

1. The anti pope gets treated by independent King level ruler, after a while it reverts to just being the anti pope of the count whose county he's in . Not WaD .

2. The work around method to this . Tho if you grab county then you can press the antipope claim vs papacy as well.

The other way to deal with this is to capture the county, then give it to a vassal. I've heard (although not yet verified) that this results in the game realising the stupidity of a count-level antipapancy and the anti-bighat loses his claim.