Johan al Gaib don't you dare escape from me and my 25 questions about TT #10

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Censor96x

Second Lieutenant
76 Badges
May 23, 2018
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Couple of questions here. I know it's late but the man the legend Johan Al-Ghaib himself is still up and last response was only some time ago, so there's a chance of response:

1) never did a world conquest in any PDX game, but we all know strategy players only want one thing and it's fucking disgusting. It's possible to do a one market run? One market as in one tag/faith/culture/whatever world conquest.

not really.

2) in the picture of the european markets you've shown there seems to be some locations in the English market that are landlocked within the French market in the area between Brittany and Normandy (my french internal geography is not very good, I don't know the name of the place). How does that work? If the French embargo the English market those living in the landlocked locations are gonna starve?

The star means it's a capital of an independent country.

Needless to say, mapmodes and icons at this stage are WIP WIP WIP :)

3) does that mean that in 1337 or whenever the screenshot has been taken London is not the English capital? Where wan then? Also Pest is not the Hungarian capital but that is probably because is separated from Buda

4) related to the previous question, the Astrakhan market capital is the only one shown not only without a star, but also without the small white rhombus, it's indicated only by a small black dot. What does that mean?

pirates and privateers will create havoc with traderoutes yes

5) by the way you phrase it, seems that's gonna be only or mainly a sea thing. It's banditry a problem also on land? As I live in a small countryside Italian mayorality that was possibly founded by bandits that were active in the period project Caesar is set I will be very upset if that's not a thing.

not in the games I make.

YES!

Trades only happen AFTER all internal demands in the market are satisfied.

6) it's possible in some way in game (I don't mean via modding) to make trades happen without regard of the internal demands? Maybe a certain good would be more profitable to sell away than to sell at a lower price within the market, or maybe a foreign power could force a weaker county to sell a certain amount of goods via some form of diplomacy?

a) Yes, you don't need to be adjacnen to trade
b) yes, you can have multiple markets in your country

7) about the a response, does that mean that you can bypass some markets ompletely? Like to trade between Krakow to Köln without involving Praha or any other node in between the two? Or it just means that you can go around Praha via Lubeck?

8) related to that, I assume it's possible for maritime trade to use sea that is not claimed by any market, otherwise transoceanic trade it's not gonna work, but is possible to cut off a market by passing through unclaimed sea? For example going from the Portuguese/Castilian market directly to the London market bypassing the Bordeaux market

currently straits only..

9) this doesn't seem right, is there any particular reason why? Controlling and taxing land trade seems much easier than maritime commerce

10) how much time takes a location to swap market? Is instantaneous? Yearly? Once a comet gets sighted?

11) any reason? Is Gibraltar not a strait and why?

12) since we are talking the entrance to the Mediterranean, might as well ask it: is the Suez canal or any other big canal connecting two big bodies of water buildable? And if yes how it's gonna work trade wise?

Now onto the TT itself.

13) in the first screenshot there is a good called sturdy grains. What are non sturdy grains? Are those even a thing? I'm sorry but I'm quite ignorant on agrarian matters

14) seems like the Riga market is low on sand. 1337 Baltic trade experts I summon ye! Why is that? Doesn't the Baltic sea have big ass beaches with huge sand dunes?

15) the language of the Riga market is called Baltic. Probably it's Baltic German but might as well ask if it's some other kind of Baltic. Also on what is based the market language? The language of the market capital? The most spoken language within the market? Other? And how do I change it?

16) what does the little hand holding a little heart icon show on the side of the wine, fine cloth and gold trade goods prices in the first screenshot mean? Complete lack of that good in the market? Stagnant prices?

17) is the Hanseatic Kontor shown in the second screenshot a special building?

18) can you talk about what changes price stability through the game?

19) can you make some examples of the countries that have completely isolated themselves from foreign trade that you mention? I don't recall any county in the world having that situation in 1337. Also are countries able to close themselves to the outside world through the game? How do you do that? It's like an embargo everyone button? It's a viable strategy for a player or the AI, or just roleplay?

20) if a market chooses to ban trade of a certain good, can ban only import and only export or has to ban them both at the same time? If I have a market populated by Muslims and I unban alcohol it's gonna generate some form of unrest or some kind of economic/not economic problem or it's just not gonna be sold?

21) in the last screenshot which names correspond to locations and which names correspond to provinces? I ask it because if the city of Königsberg alone in 1337 consumes more food that an entire region that means that cities are gonna consume lots and lots of food.

22) since it seems is gonna be pretty convenient to establish a national market, is there any hindrance to establish a market in your capital besides the 1000 gold/ducats cost? I ask because otherwise there's the risk of market bloating through the game.

23) can you tell how does trade works in uncolonized areas? And when I found a new colony, let's say I'm the Netherlands and I found a city called Nieuv Amsterdaam on an island located on the north American east coast, does that colony start with a new market? If not colonizing it's gonna be pretty expensive and not very worthwhile in the short term, which is historical, but also does mean that the natives who presumably hold the markets in the Americas are gonna profit from European colonization, which is kinda historical but also kinda weird from a gameplay point of view.

24) can you please tell us if 25 questions at about 01:30 pm CET are too much or too late to get responses? I've the suspicion it's both too much and too late, but you never know...

25) I want to get to 25 questions because.... reasons. I like round numbers, and also like multiples of 5, so I will invent a 25th question that has nothing to do with any of this. As with any other question feel free to respond or not. How are you Johan? Is everything fine? Are you being held hostage at the Tinto HQ to make the absolute banger of a game that Project Caesar seems to be? Blink once if yes, blink twice if not.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think you should rename the thread, just by looking at sentences ending is a question mark I counted not 25, but 50 questions, which might be a happy accident on your part given your penchant for round numbers and multiples of 5.

• 3Love
Reactions:
I think you should rename the thread, just by looking at sentences ending is a question mark I counted not 25, but 50 questions, which might be a happy accident on your part given your penchant for round numbers and multiples of 5.
Definitely an happy accident, but I tried to group somewhat the questions I had and to number them. The grouping criteria are probably arbitrary but still I don't think I'll rename the thread

I haven't seen an answer to how large a market can get yet, unless I missed one. Just knowing you can't do a "1 market" run doesn't actually put much of an upper bound on things. Can I for all of India or China in one market? What about North or South America? What downsides are there for making your market large? What reasons are there to create new markets entirely within your own territory?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I haven't seen an answer to how large a market can get yet, unless I missed one. Just knowing you can't do a "1 market" run doesn't actually put much of an upper bound on things. Can I for all of India or China in one market? What about North or South America? What downsides are there for making your market large? What reasons are there to create new markets entirely within your own territory?
The one market was mostly a meme question.
Your questions are quite interesting but I think that we will know a definite answer only when we actually get to play the game on release

1714668520397.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Access to what? They will all starve. They will have 100% access to like 3 trade goods only xd
I assume markets can trade with each other

Edit: does opening a market cost gold? I haven't seen that yet, but even then if it only costs gold then that's not much of a barrier. I've yet to see a video game in general balance its eco so money doesn't become worthless in the late game except maybe eve online.

I assume markets can trade with each other

Edit: does opening a market cost gold? I haven't seen that yet, but even then if it only costs gold then that's not much of a barrier. I've yet to see a video game in general balance it's eco so money doesn't become worthless in the late game except maybe eve online.

Yes but there will not be nowhere near enough merchant capacity to trade between thousads of OLM markets lol

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes but there will not be nowhere near enough merchant capacity to trade between thousads of OLM markets lol
Well hopefully. I'd like to see someone try and fail first before writing it off.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I don't know if 1000 is a lot or a little.
More important is that it's limited to towns and cities, since (presumably) villages will be the majority of locations.