• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the random monster spawn are not too hard, just as they should be in impossible. In fact impossible is still somewhat easy I find.

They are not hard when you can summon gold dragons, red dragons, rainbow dragons and cast ancient spells. They are just annoying and they keep me (us) from commiting our time and resources on fighting the last boss. They spawn every 5 turns. It just prolongs the game too much.
And i dont think the AI mages can handle those spawns. After few turns they are gonna get eaten.

I beat exiled mode.

Allied with all of the other mages.. who were huddled in thier starter worlds, being pummeled into submission by random AI Spawns.

Frankly, once you stop the random terrain changes, the random spawns are the hardest to deal with. I eventually was using 2 of my 4 heroes and a ton of elite units for "defense" - and then I had 2 heroes with custom artifacts and a hoard of dragons, and various healers backing them up.

Mind you, the challenge felt about right. This is not a 4x where you can ignore your backfield, and the game is very dynamic as a result.

This was on an XL? world, with the maximum number of great mages (Largest possible settings basically). Normal difficulty. I'm... 234? turns into the game.

I got the same problem in normal size with 2-3 other mages.

Random spawns are not only hard to handle with (in fact I did not find them so hard with all the rainbow dragons we get), they are annoying. I love how you discover differently themed worlds with corresponding creatures. Random spawns are the same everywhere... even in your broders.

I beat exiled mode.

Allied with all of the other mages.. who were huddled in thier starter worlds, being pummeled into submission by random AI Spawns.

It's a bit sad watching them though. For me I always have two that stay in their home worlds and one that colonises one other world as well...but they still lose half their homeworlds to random spawns.

As far as I've noticed the players problem with taking out spawns isn't as large as the AI's ability to do the same. I am currently playing my first playthrough on exiled mode(normal) with 4 other mages. Both of the ones I've come across have been struggling to survive. So far I've managed to only lose one unit through out the game, while playing as the humans. Though the tormentors really made me go on the defencive when they spawned in a group of 3, and I've only reached tier 3 as far as worlds go.

As far as I've noticed the players problem with taking out spawns isn't as large as the AI's ability to do the same. I am currently playing my first playthrough on exiled mode(normal) with 4 other mages. Both of the ones I've come across have been struggling to survive. So far I've managed to only lose one unit through out the game, while playing as the humans. Though the tormentors really made me go on the defencive when they spawned in a group of 3, and I've only reached tier 3 as far as worlds go.

As the game goes on you find you have to keep tons of units behind, constantly clearing the worlds you've already cleared. It feels almost like negative progression and it's really annoying and not how I'd like to play. I would hope they come out with a change for it!

As the game goes on you find you have to keep tons of units behind, constantly clearing the worlds you've already cleared. It feels almost like negative progression and it's really annoying and not how I'd like to play. I would hope they come out with a change for it!

I'm on turn 500ish right now, and I've noticed the slowdown and the drag of having to clean up the backside. But more than just having to clean up everywhere, the low ideal city cap on the large map is getting on my nerves. I can't build more economic powerhouses/unit factories because that would drive my unrest up and cause me to need to change my attention from fighting the enemy to fighting annoyed civilians. And not having more powerhouses means my army will eventually hit max size, asside from units that purely cost mana/gold. Slowing down my progress even more.

One trick, that still is a lot of a hassle, is to just turn every hex you don't have buildings on, plan to build on in the foreseeable future or use as a connection, into mountains. It is a slow, expensive, painfull and tedius process, but it will keep some of the spawns off your back.(if things really get on my nerves too much, that's the method I am going to resign to, probably just use meta-telleport to get everything to the frontlines)

The Spawns are a bit of a pain and they do force you to manage your forces on all world shards. I think it would help ease some of the pain if we could buy forts and towers for the non-cities (forts, shrines, free towns) and place them within 3 hexes of the target non-city. Cost should be straight up gold and mana with no upkeep. Make so you can have one defensive structure per 2 size value of the non-city, max 6. It would also be cool if there were ways to upgrade forts, towers, and the base defenses of cities and non-cities too. These could be researchable items like spells and mage abilities. We could use more damage, more range, more shots, magic boosts for other types of damage, etc.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Random spawns need rebalancing.
Random spawns should be a funny add to the game, not a boring thing to handle for.
This is a must. Developers must fix that.

My 2 cents about random spawns:

They should always happen only outside cities borders.
In exiled mode, every shard should have a fixed level of random spawn.
They should be rare and easy at great mage homeworlds.
They should be frequent and dangerous at middle and farther shards.
They should be heavy, challenging and permanent in Ainadra and Ardania.

I'm on turn 500ish right now, and I've noticed the slowdown and the drag of having to clean up the backside. But more than just having to clean up everywhere, the low ideal city cap on the large map is getting on my nerves. I can't build more economic powerhouses/unit factories because that would drive my unrest up and cause me to need to change my attention from fighting the enemy to fighting annoyed civilians. And not having more powerhouses means my army will eventually hit max size, asside from units that purely cost mana/gold. Slowing down my progress even more.

One trick, that still is a lot of a hassle, is to just turn every hex you don't have buildings on, plan to build on in the foreseeable future or use as a connection, into mountains. It is a slow, expensive, painfull and tedius process, but it will keep some of the spawns off your back.(if things really get on my nerves too much, that's the method I am going to resign to, probably just use meta-telleport to get everything to the frontlines)

I just have to ask, but how on earth are you still playing at turn 500? That seems like forever-long. My I beat huge/challenging in 169 turns and large/impossible in 160 turns. Like, more than 3 times that long I can't even imagine what each of your turns is like... do you only have a dozen units or something?

I just have to ask, but how on earth are you still playing at turn 500? That seems like forever-long. My I beat huge/challenging in 169 turns and large/impossible in 160 turns. Like, more than 3 times that long I can't even imagine what each of your turns is like... do you only have a dozen units or something?

Well, 30ish units, spread over 4 colonised shards, 2 shards of allied great mages(because their ability to deal with neutrals and monsters is laughable and I don't want to deal with monster owned shards in my backside) and two that I am currently exploring. I am just playing things slow and turtling my way through, trying to minimize losses along the way.

My first game was on normal against 4 other mages. I killed one mage early on, but never even met the other mages. I can only guess that the insane monster spawn prevented them from expanding. I killed the United One lieutenants for the win. If anything the spawn needs toned down for the AI mages. Besides that I really had no problems handling the spawn. Although, it did get kind of annoying at the end.