• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes! (But I'm probably biased...)

The main difference compared with Catholics is the lack of easy CBs. (No Crusades, can only holy-war adjacent Muslims (no pagans, no heretics), no claims from the Pope, limited excommunication.)

Jockeying with the other vassals to be elected Emperor is more interesting than in any other nation (except perhaps the HRE).

However, as with every elective system, you need to be quite careful about what happens when/if you lose the empire. (As emperor, you probably want to keep hold of the kingdom title that contains your demesne, and you probably want that kingdom to have something other than Imperial Elective succession - ie. you need to form it before becoming emperor.)

I tend to set "mending the schism" as my end-goal for Orthodox runs (because I am usually unchallengeable by then). However, if you haven't ever recreated the Roman Empire, it's definitely worth doing that at least once, as there's a lot of unique flavour (easy CB to reconquer the Roman borders, Stoic society, Hellenic religion, Roman culture, etc).

Reactions:
yes. everything is. but less so than the better religions

Orthodox is sure fun without eastern romans anyhow, especially since bishops are always loyal to you instead of pope. And you can potentially convert such powerhouses as Rus and Pechenegs.