Is it only a transport simulator or also a city builder?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arizal

Field Marshal
100 Badges
Aug 9, 2006
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • PDXCon 2019 "King"
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Deus Vult
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • Magicka
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Surviving Mars
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
The question is in the title, but I want to say that I don't fully understand the difference between the two genre. I assume a city builder is about creating a city, what I enjoyed with SC3000 and SC4, but not with the other game I tried, the most recent being CitiesXL. I just tried the demo and I was ashamed that there was just one imposition level. I don't find it very realistic either to play exclusively for the well being of my population. The fact is I want money, to grow bigger, to have more money, etc.

Back to the difference between a transport simolator and a city builder. I think a transport simulator is more axed on the transport than a city builder, but at what extent? Transport is a very big part of a city gestion. In a transport simulator, can we zone, can we tax, can we give other public services? Where the transport aspect is finishing?

I would like to finallyhave a city builder, and I ask the question : Is cities in motion also one of them? What do I have to expect of this game, in term of building a city?

Cities in Motion is a game about building and managing your public transport network. So it is not a city builder. The city grows and changes during time and that will bring new challenges for you to keep your network efficient and current.

Cities in Motion is a game about building and managing your public transport network. So it is not a city builder. The city grows and changes during time and that will bring new challenges for you to keep your network efficient and current.

but i have suggetion - could be bit of city building well if you delete the house and has be provided again if you want rebuild the area with new houses - for example you place new subway line entry portal in middle and its requres a demolish few houses to make way for line surface so after building that you have to put new homes nearby - this one can used in real life whereabouts transport companies has to provide the new building then later they can sell off
and also transport can rebuild the roads if they need to move roads away or demolish it - in rl - for example old line runs along road but company wants moved to somewhere eg underground so they have to remove road and rebuild for example road improvement work

Is it focused on moving people or are goods involved too?

How strict are the track systems - can two trains cross each other on same track as if they are ghosts? are there signal towers to control rail traffic? do trains require maintenance and have chances of breaking down?

Is it focused on moving people or are goods involved too?

How strict are the track systems - can two trains cross each other on same track as if they are ghosts? are there signal towers to control rail traffic? do trains require maintenance and have chances of breaking down?
It's internal city transportation of people (so trains are just cosmetic so are planes, those stations is where tourist appear) so you'll focus on busses, trams, metro, tourist boats and the like

one thing id like to know is if economic fluctuations and changes to the city over time are going to be the same for every single game. Would be nice if the cities would evolve just a little bit differently every time you play.

It's internal city transportation of people (so trains are just cosmetic so are planes, those stations is where tourist appear) so you'll focus on busses, trams, metro, tourist boats and the like
I'm pretty sure there will be commuter trains though. They are an important form of public transportation in Helsinki and Helsinki is one of the cities included in the game. Don't know about the other cities but I'm pretty sure at least some of them make use of commuter trains. It would be quite weird to leave them out.

I'm pretty sure there will be commuter trains though. They are an important form of public transportation in Helsinki and Helsinki is one of the cities included in the game. Don't know about the other cities but I'm pretty sure at least some of them make use of commuter trains. It would be quite weird to leave them out.

Amsterdam has commuter trains, especially if you consider the complete / greater Amsterdam area and not just the center.