• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
21st September 1944
21st September.

Having met the candidates, Tiso and Tuka must now make a decision on who will attempt to provide Slovakia with the intelligence it has so sorely been lacking.

"It appears it is a choice between the German ex-ambassadors." Tiso summarises.

"There was one other applicant." Fritz interrupts. "General Jurech applied."

"But isn't he busy out on the Western Front?" Tuka asks.

"No at the moment, he and the heroes of the 2nd (Your Name Here) Division are consolidating their position in Vernon." Malar answer after checking his map of many things.

"Why does he think he would be any good as Head of Slovak Intelligence?" Tiso asks.

"He claims he would use his contacts and vast understanding on the Soviet Army to improve our intelligence gathering on the Eastern Front." Fritrz read from the application form.

"How has he got Soviet contacts?" Tuka asked.

"He doesn't say."

"And why do we need more intelligence on the Eastern Front. We already know the massive and powerful 2nd Ukrainian Front is racing towards us, locked in a fight to win the Race to Bratislava." Tiso interrupted.

Everyone nodded solemnly.

There was a pause as the group contemplated what more they could possibly need to know about the Eastern Front than that and what good it would do if they had such knowledge. This did not take long.

2Hx3cQm.jpg

The Slovak Intelligence Services report on the Soviet Union was quite short, focusing mainly on the fact that the Soviet massively out-manned, out-teched, out-resourced and out-everything-elsed Slovakia by a massive amount.The previous heads of Slovak Intelligence had therefore focused their spying efforts elsewhere.

"I think Jurech is best placed where he is." Tuka spoke for them all.

"Which brings us back to a choice between the ambassadors." Fritz dragged the meeting back on track.

"We have to rule out that lost continent applicant first." Tiso said.

"Ha_ns Lubin?" Frizt confirmed.

"That's the one, you are the only one who can pronounce the underscore in his name properly." Tuka joined in.

"It comes out Haaaauughgnns if we try." Malar confirmed.

"Of the final two I think we should select Baron von Killinger." Tiso stated.

"He's a bit intense." Tuka ventured.

There was a stunned silence as the room contemplated the idea of Tuka, Tuka mark you, finding someone a bit intense.

"That is true, but he is a baron and a von. That is much more impressive than anything Hans Bernard can offer." Tiso replied. "This will help raise Slovakia's profile in Berlin."

"And his abilities as the head of a wartime intelligence gathering agencies?" Malar asked.

"I don't think we need to worry ourselves with that sort of thing." Tiso said.

RVMZVNa.jpg

Baron Manfred von Killinger, the newly appointed Head of Slovak Intelligence. As you can clearly see, he looks delighted at the news.

--
Notes:

Aside from his mastery of Panzers, General Jurech is notable for commanding the Slovak Fast Division from 1942-43 and for trying to surrender that entire unit to the Soviets in an elaborate mass defection. Apparently he even made contact with the Soviets about this and was close to getting a deal sorted, but then Stalingrad happened. This was slightly distracting for all involved and while the Slovak unit was joining in the general German running away the division was effectively destroyed after being surrounded, while everyone got airlifted out by the Germans, pretty much all their heavy equipment was left behind and Jurech was not invited back to command it's replacement. As you would expect he later got involved in the Slovak National Uprising, this didn't end well for him.

Genuine screenshot, even by September 1944 Slovakia still, somehow, has 90 spies left abroad. The ones in the major powers have long since been captured, leaving only the random ones to cling on.

Last edited:
markkur - This is Florida Rules, no vote changing allowed. But as it is vote early, vote often, and there is nothing in Florida Rules about having to be consistent, this vote will still count.

I was going to hold off and dramatically reveal it in the next update, but it was such a walkover I'm sure everyone had already guessed the answer.
I eventually was paid a visit by a "mysterious diplomat" that convinced me, that "my first instinct was the best choice.":)

I assume Slovakian spy duties in the DR involves a lot of relaxing on beaches.

What will become of these random spies when the Race to Bratislava is finished? I assume they would not be welcome back (or would not choose to come back) so would they try to make the best of it in the country they're stationed in?

markkur - You were wise to listen to his 'advice' before his associates were forced to insist.

Andre Massena - I imagine the Slovak spies in DR are taking copious notes on the Trujillo dictatorship in case there is anything T&T can learn about running a one party state.

It does depend who wins the Race to Bratislava, if it's the Allies they probably could return home. If it's Stalin, then best not. Historically there were quite a few Slovak-in-exile groups that popped up and they weren't too fussy about who joined. I can see the spies joining one of those groups and sneaking into a senior role by talking up their espionage career.

After the thrill of the vote we just have the Slovak Armed Forces to look at, then back to actual progress of the plot.

Ah, the armed forces. Time for my so beloved OOB lists and deployment maps, itll be a glorious sight to behold I'm sure.

OOB lists?!
ohmy.gif

I'd like to see this AAR finished before 2020, thank you very much.
Still, a Slovak OOB surely isn't going to be too long, is it? Easily contained on the back of a postage stamp ;)

Still, a Slovak OOB surely isn't going to be too long, is it? Easily contained on the back of a postage stamp ;)
Perhaps, for the sake of propaganda, we could put it on the front of the postage stamps?

Perhaps, for the sake of propaganda, we could put it on the front of the postage stamps?
Well, I only mentioned the back because it was a blank canvas ;)

Putting the OOB on the front though would be more likely to damage Slovakian morale than help it :eek:

And the Allies or SU wouldn't bother - because why would you? :)

It appears I can't even take a sabbatical from the forum (for sixteen months...) without you starting a blistering pace of updates. I'm twenty pages behind, so I have some catching up to do. It might be a while before I have anything to contribute, except expressing my pleasure at finding Inevitable Defeat still going strong.

sebas379 - There will be sights of wonder and amazement that is true. Possibly even glory, if only by Slovakian standards.

Gen. Marshall - Where did you get such a crazy ambition from? Before 2020 indeed.

Bullfilter / Galbatorix994 - If only Slovakia had the technology for Stamps. Or Postage System. Or even wooden posts.

Gen. Marshall (ii) - Such cheek! Right, just for that I'm putting an OOB list into the next update. There may even be a Slovak General Staff Map of Many Things.

Stuyvesant - This AAR, like Butterfly Effect, will never die. It just might take a long time to get anywhere. Welcome back from your sabbatical, I hope things are still to your liking.

Slovakia haz OOB omgz!!!
It seems to be one of the few techs Slovakia actually possesses! There have to be some, or El Pip would be denied material for his dissertations on abject research failures. Now, I'd say that point could be 'drawing a long bow', but suspect we'd discover Slovakia hasn't discovered the tech for Longbow yet, just Shortbow, with Longbow due in about 2052 o_O

Bullfilter / Galbatorix994 - If only Slovakia had the technology for Stamps. Or Postage System. Or even wooden posts.

Gen. Marshall (ii) - Such cheek! Right, just for that I'm putting an OOB list into the next update. There may even be a Slovak General Staff Map of Many Things.
Well if there is going to be an OOB ... there'd be enough room on the back of just one of these little babies to fit it in. Just sayin' ;)

FbCj8X.jpg

SgtGranite - Welcome on board, I'm please you were tempted out of lurking by T&T's adventures. Paradox research failures are very much the bedrock on which this AAR is built, luckily this has proven popular with some.

Surt - I know, it's a shock. Whether Slovakia has enough troops to need an OOB is a very different question.

Bullfilter - Brace yourself, apart from OOBs Slovakia does have the occasional advanced tech;

Slovak%20Farming%20Tech_zpsiam9wvq2.jpg

Slovak farmers are fairly close to cutting edge, it is just a shame there are no schools, industry or concept of medicine. Sadly those good farming skills may be useless if the 2nd Ukranian Front wins the race to Bratislava and the Soviets forcibly collectivise the country.

Whether Slovakia has enough troops to need an OOB is a very different question.

Perhaps instead, the best approach is to break out all of the troops from their divisions into single brigades and attach each single brigade to a single corps, and attach each single corps to a single army, and attach each single army to a single army group. Then attach the army groups to three theaters.

It'll look quite impressive on paper, which is exactly one more place than Slovakia's army has any right to be impressive!