• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a Hungarian, I can tell you it is not such a big problem, since most of the people are as friendly towards our neighbours as these brave Slovakians towards the Czechs... And, actually, if you travel to Austria or England, you don't even need their respective languages, simply find some Hungarian staff there :)

Very nice AAR, I never thought such a small country could stand so... valiantly... and sustain such a war (cough) effort :D

The Sub-Civil Total War Civil War War War

The end of this most gruesome conflict is in sight. Lets celebrate with some pompous, dramatic epic propaganda:

Glad to see the Hungarians make a heroic effort to bravely take the stand for Slovakia. Surely Mr. Horthy knows that when fighting alongside Slovakia he is in company of a colossus, a titan, a legend in our time.

Spread your wings and take to the skies with glory, Malar! Fly with the likes of Caesar, Attila, Alexander the great and Gilgamesh! Malar and his troops, General of generals! Titan of titans! God of gods!

Today, Banska Bystrica. Tomorrow Moscow, London and DC!

sebas379 - I didn't actually check, I just assumed Paradox had put the same level of care and detail into Hungary that they put into everything else. They might have got something correct! :eek:

Athalcor / Gen. Marshall - You should have seen that reply coming.

Raptie - Slovakia benefits from such low expectations, so doing anything at all, no matter how badly, is a mighty achievement.

Raticon - That's the spirit, morale in Slovakia needs lifting after Jessenky's most recent poetry book was published.

Nathan Madien - Dirt Cheap? Definitely Cursed? Doomed Completely?

Nathan Madien - Dirt Cheap? Definitely Cursed? Doomed Completely?

I honestly reckon that's what people in DC think of when they hear about Slovakia.

On another note,this post means that I'm no longer a lurker!

sebas379 - I didn't actually check, I just assumed Paradox had put the same level of care and detail into Hungary that they put into everything else. They might have got something correct! :eek:

I totally missed that sentence... and, to my suprise, not only is the division name absolutely correct, but actually, a quick Google search reveals there was an existing unit under that name (95% sure it is just a coincidence, but still). This, and other things I encountered when seeing Hungary being played, compared to the other nations' level of 'historical accuracy', are leading me to believe that there was at least one Hungarian in the Paradox staff working on the small countries... :)

I honestly reckon that's what people in DC think of when they hear about Slovakia.

On another note,this post means that I'm no longer a lurker!

Well, that reminds me of a joke I heard quite some time ago.

'Slovakia somehow manages to build three atomic bombs. In order to show the world that they can now project power around the globe, the government decides to drop one of the bombs somewhere in the US.

They wait a day for a response, nothing happens. They wait two days for a response, nothing happens. They wait a week and still no response.

The Slovak government says to themselves: "OK, the United States are big, chances are the bomb fell onto some desert or something, we will drop the second one as well." So they drop the second bomb onto the state of Virginia.

They wait a day for a response, nothing happens. They wait two days for a response, nothing happens. They wait a week and still no response.

It is starting to be quite strange but again, the Slovak government assumes that the state of Virginia is still quite large* and so the United States somehow did not notice. So they decide to drop the third bomb directly onto Washington, DC.

Now the Slovak president gets already quite angry - "oh, come on! We drop three atomic bombs on the US and they still do not care?!" So he calls the US president and says: "Hi, I wonder...we dropped three atomic bombs onto your territory and there is still no reply from your side. What's going on?"

"Oh, you Slovak ***holes! Just wait when we find you on the map!"

That's it. That's the joke.

*it is actually more than twice larger than the whole country of Slovakia

"Oh, you Slovak ***holes! Just wait when we find you on the map!"

Just imagine the drama in the Supremely unmentionably long-named HQ when the Slovak top brass realize that contrary to popular belief, there is no race to Bratislava at all due to Bratislava and by extension Slovakia itself being totally unheard of as a concept.

The last speck of terra incognita not being in some dense jungle, isolated mountain valley or faraway dusty desert but right where T&T is standing right now.

If Slovakia had any concept of pride or honour it would be insulted.

sebas379 - Probably, something they might get a chance to experience personally.

Galbatorix994 - Hurrah, there is (or should be) a prize for tempting a reader to de-lurk.

Raptie - Possibly, but if so they didn't know much about Hungarian politicians. I opened the save as Hungary and apart from Horthy it is pretty much all wrong. The Air Force chief is a random terrible pilot (1 confirmed kill in the entire war!), the Chief of the Army is a man who was Inspector of the Air Force, the Head of Intelligence was the Minister for Religion and Education. Still, as you say at least the division names are right, something Slovakia is rightly envious of.

Athalcor/Nathan Madien, - When a man is tired of jokes about Americans and Maps, he is tired of life.

Raticon - Don't tell Malar that, he'd burst into tears again. I imagine T&T do have a concept of honour and pride, only because they know it's things they don't possess. It's hard to take pride in being a Nazi puppet state.

5th September 1944
5th September

We return not to Bratislava, but to the deck of a destroyer watching an ambitious amphibious landing being spectacularly badly executed.

"I'll not deny it's amusing to watch, but shouldn't we be somewhere nearer the fighting?" Sergeant Miller asked.

"No, duty first." Major Mallory replied.

"But is this really duty, messing about in the Eastern Mediterranean miles from any enemy?"

"We're doing a vital job, if those two weren't distracted here who knows what damage they'd do?" Mallory asked rhetorically.

As they spoke General Clark was staring intently at a mirror, whether distracted by vanity or because he didn't understand the concept of a reflection was unclear. Meanwhile MacArthur was shouting at the film crew for not making his walk up the beach look dramatic enough.

"Look at the latest news from Italy." Mallory said, handing over the telegram.

oPM3kiD.jpg

Technically this is VI Day. Sadly it happened on the 5th of September not the 6th, typical Mussolini. Incompetently inconvenient to the very last.

"Do you think that would have been possible so quickly with those two present?" Mallory asked.

Miller admitted it would be unlikely.

"Now lets get down to the beach before MacArthur works out this is the Peloponnese not the Philippines." Mallory said.

Meanwhile, in a smoke filled chamber deep in the hear of the Slovak Fire and Steam Ministry, a butler passed a telegram to Pruzinksy.

w2lnDpC.jpg

You wait months for a German trade deal to come in, hoping they would offer you the excess energy they have and that you desperately need, then they offer this.

Pruzinsky adjusted his monocle and considered telling the President about this offer. But he already knew the answer, Slovakia didn't have the supplies to spare and couldn't do anything with the extra money.

"Best just place that message in the circular filing cabinet." He told the flunky. "And send another crate of firewater off to the Palace, I do believe the President's hipflask will be in need of refilling after the news from Italy."

---
Money is one of the few things Slovakia isn't short of. Because there is absolutely nothing they can do with it.

Circular filing cabinet is one of my favourite euphemisms for rubbish bin, which probably isn't that well known outside the UK.

Last edited:
I just noticed something-how and when exactly did Slovakia clear the terra incognita over Italy to recieve notifications about it? It seems well ahead of their current technology (current technology referring to large debate over the practicality of two circles stuck together to roll things)

SirNoelRules - Slovakia has badly regressed as the war has progressed, they were early Victorian originally, so I'm assuming their awareness of Italy comes from the Lost Knowledge of the Ancients (i.e a Czechoslovakian Atlas that was accidentally left behind).

It also appear that last update went down like a lead balloon. Not completely sure why, a general sense of mourning for the fall of Mussolini?

It also appear that last update went down like a lead balloon. Not completely sure why, a general sense of mourning for the fall of Mussolini?

Honestly? I'd blame it on a lack of Tiso, Tuka and hipflasks. Terrible AI trade deals are nothing special anymore and I just sigh over the 98790597th example. I know, this update is something to cherish, actual progress for a change with Italy falling! But we don't expect this AAR to progress, thats probably it :p

September%20Trade%20Deal_zpsjmars9lz.jpg

You wait months for a German trade deal to come in, hoping they would offer you the excess energy they have and that you desperately need, then they offer this.

Wow. Talk about insulting Slovakia.

Circular filing cabinet is one of my favourite euphemisms for rubbish bin, which probably isn't that well known outside the UK.

When I read "Circular filing cabinet", I assumed it meant exactly that.

If they are more worried about what happens in Italy than with the Russian advance, everything goes well.