• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Reykvolc

Sergeant
Jun 11, 2022
I will be playing in the 867 start date Duke Borc Idiqut of Karashar. He is the first Uyghur ruler of most of the Tarim basin and is one of the few Nestorian rulers in the game. Lots of challenges are sure to arise given the neighborhood. Revolts and peasant revolts are likely to be the name of the game. I am a somewhat mediocre player when I am trying, and I plan to be playing their traits, so I won’t always be trying, so expect a fair share of losses mixed in. Nothing too particular in terms of rules, have a lot of mods. I won’t be using the invite to court feature, we’ll be relying on the local talent or lack thereof.

Borc always has the traits Sympathy for Mazdan and Eastern Religions. Otherwise his stats and traits are random. This itineration sucks generally, but is good at intrigue. I’m sure a stubborn, envious, cruel person is a lot of fun to interact, though at least he’s gullible. The random number generator tells me he is the stabby type of intrigue as opposed to the seducing type. He has a strong claim on Mongolia which I don’t anticipate doing anything with. As for my wife, her best stat is a 3. And she is chaste to boot.
1702218015463.png

As for my son, he is Buddhist. The sympathy traits are also baked in. The only reason his stats are meaningfully better than his mom’s is the brilliant strategist trait.
1702218053020.png

Here are our lovely vassals. The good news is none of them are particular geniuses and most aren’t too cranky except the Count of Kumul. I can raise 1737 men while none of them can raise more than 1000. Well, except the Count of Kumul. Who controls 5 counties. And can raise slightly more men than I can. I’m sure this won’t be a problem.
1702218070178.png

Here’s the neighborhood. Mongolia is Tengri Kirgiz and likes vassalizing the Tarim Basis. Their tributary has a Nestorian vassel. To our immediate east is Han Taoist Jiuquin. And to their south is the Western Protectorate though I don’t have the Jade Dragon expansion. We share the Tarim Basin with the Buddhist Saka Dukes of Khotan and Kashgar and Tocharian Buddhist Count of Uchturpan. Guge is the grayish blue to the south of Khotan and likes to expand Tarim-ward. The Persian Sunni Samanids often also visit the neighborhood. Separated from us by mountains is the Karluk Tengri Karakhanids.
1702218088085.png

Alright lets marry our courtiers to each other. Also my son needs married. First option in marriage tab is a Karakhanid princess nearly as smart as her husband and in-laws combined. Sounds good!
1702218447987.png

Decide to spy on and plot to kill Silarakite who has no heirs. My ruler’s traits work quite nicely here with traditional CKII play technique. Chose for ambition Create a Treasury, since my ruler is envious and other ambitious didn’t really seem to fit. Did some other bureaucratic stuff and now lets unpause!

It took Silarakite a full week to start an independence faction. My spymaster gets me some tech points. Then my informants tell me Silarakite is preaching his false religion in his lands. I use this to threaten him to stay out of factions. I’m sure you will be shocked to learn his response was to laugh in my face. Cherchen joins his faction and then on February 19th comes the faction demand.

I take advantage of the most special thing about being Abrahamic, borrowing money from the Jews! Then hire some Tangut mercenaries. I get the loyalist muster event, which is 186 men I can use. I gather our men together, there is some back and forth sieging, then a battle on the shores of Lop Nor. The result was a solid victory despite a slight terrain advantage to them. Apparently the Tangut force was a mixture of archers and light cavalry, pretty easy to model this as the poor enemy forced getting pincushioned until their morale broke then mopped up by cavalry. My heavy infantry didn’t do much.
1702218477474.png

Then the Buddhist peasants rise up in Kara Khoja, 2500 of them. The peasants pay the ultimate price for poor timing in April. Meanwhile I become friends with an Uyghur Buddhist courtier by the name of Oghulbaris. I tried to sway papa Karakhanid, which just results in an argument making us like each other less. My Court Chaplain is murdered evangelizing to the peasants in October.

In December comes a second battle with the rebels. Some bad rolls turn it ugly, my flanks get broken and a lot of infantry cut down. My son gets to be the hero of the day though and we win. On another note his current ambition is to learn to abstain from Excesses of the Flesh. Which is exactly what we need as a 2-person dynasty. *heavy sarcasm*
1702218496927.png

One more siege and battle and it is over. Capture in battle a commander. Hang him. Now I am known as “the Butcher”. You hang just *1* traitor and that is what they call you… On August 10, 869 the rebels surrender. Cherchen and Silarakite still have no heirs. They both get burnt at the stake. Which apparently was a tyrannical thing to do. Cherchen’s lands go to my friend Oghulbaris. As for Silarakite’s, 1 goes to my son, 1 to my favorite courtier, who turns out to be a 14-year-old called Qutlugh, who is my first cousin once removed, other three are added to the royal domesne. My three new vassels are all Buddhist Uyghurs. I celebrate peace with a plot to murder the Count of Mingoi who has no male heir. Here is the map with the battles/sieges and territorial redistribution:
1702218519384.png

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Not many AAR in these parts of the world. I'll be reading along :)

Hopefully your vassals being Buddhists won't affect the stability of your realm too much.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Nice quick start. Intrigue focused characters can really quickly consolidate big chunk of their realm thank to vassals having no heirs :). Between you as Feudal you have almost every goverment type next door (Tribal, Horde, Iqta, Chinese Bureacracy and Monastic-Feudal IRC).

Do you have some longterm strategy for this playthrough or you will remain opportunist?

• 2Like
Reactions:
As @Flinteroon notes, a part of the world that doesn't get played in much in AARLand, so I am interested too, right from the start.

I’m sure this won’t be a problem.
Your sarcasm is noted!

Good start to this play-through AAR. Looking forward to more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That start could've been better, but at least there are less traitors in your realm.

One wonders if... less than virtuous actions might be a way to expand the dynasty...

I predict that Kumul will eventually revolt. Hopefully your dynasty is in a better position by then.

• 1Like
Reactions:
August 869-September 873:
It is now August 869. Hopefully things are a little slower going forward. The nice thing is now only half our vessels want to stab us in the back. The peasants are no longer thinking of revolt. We will see how long that educational experience I gave them will last. My new court chaplain will be improving relations with one of my bishops. My ruler after all is sympathetic to Buddhism and after the revolt to not unnecessarily provoking them. My spymaster steals some military tech from the Kirgiz.

On another note, my three original vassals have all united in a faction to increase council power of 170%.

In January 870, my court chaplain makes the startling realization that there are Buddhists at my court. Specifically Uppal Apgayatkacer, a 19-year-old with the ambition to reject cruelty. She is the daughter of the last count of Luntai, whose lands I took in 856, 11 years before the start date. I decide *not* to burn her at the stake. First because I’m sympathetic to Buddhists and second because it would make all the other Buddhists at my court, including the vassals on my council, rather cranky. This does make my court chaplain and 2 random zealous Nestorian courtiers mad.

My chancellor, the Count of Mingoi, who I’m trying to keep happy until I can murder him, raises the opinion of a Baron. I just threw him on one of my random counties as he sucks at his job, with a 12% chance of improving relations and 10% of worsening them per year.

In February I come to the bright realization that just because he is a fine upstanding individual with no skeletons doesn’t mean I can’t invent them. So I spread rumors he is a slave to dark forces. Unfortunately he finds out I was the one spreading them. -50 to opinion. I’m sure this won’t bite me given he is part of a faction with 164% of my military strength. On the bright side two new people are willing to join my murder plot as a result for the right price (25 gold).

In March, my Marshal does a recruitment drive. The Karakhanids successfully repulse a Cuman invasion. He is still a long way from being willing to ally with me and given my stubborn trait is terrible for swaying efforts, likely stays that way.

Then in April comes the faction demand. Given I am stubborn and cruel, I’m sure you can guess how seriously I take my vassals request for a greater say in government. It is unfortunate as my levies are still building in my new counties and recovering in my old. At least I still have some money for mercenaries as I of course inherited the treasuries along with their lands of the vassals I burnt at the stake. This time I hire Tibetan mercenaries. The most numbers for their price so I don’t run out of money too fast. Which is code for no units with the word “heavy” in their description.

Fill the holes on my council. Oghulbaris becomes Chanceller and my son Arslan Spymaster. Neither are good at their jobs, but the options that are meaningfully better and don’t want to stab me are few. I also get a work can be tedious event. As I am stubborn, I go for the “I can rest in Heaven” option. Unfortunately I get the 60% chance of stressed and *not* the 70% chance of diligent. Guess we may be my son soon. I also in July send Papa Karakhanid the head of a bard criticizing him. Unfortunately he misinterprets that as a threat and likes me even less. A smallpox epidemic starts spreading in November. Fortunately the random # generator says I am willing to close the gates. I inherit a barony in March as the baron died of smallpox and his heir of flu. He was my marshal so Qutlugh is appointed to fill the seat.

If you’ve been paying attention to the chronology you may wonder what has been going with the war for 12 months. The answer is the rebels have been having fun sacking my demesne. Even with the mercenaries I was slightly outnumbered. They also had a quality advantage and better general also. So I was waiting for attrition from sieges. Fortunately this is accelerated by me being smart enough to stay out of smallpox provinces and them not and they lose 30% of their men to smallpox. In April 871 the island of smallpoxlessness I was sitting in disappears, so time to charge in. We win although my left flank routes in the process.
1702410696023.png

Qutlugh is plotting to murder my son, so he is told to stop doing that. My steward suggests it is a good time to check out my escape tunnels and I give him some faulty maps in October. He finds signs people have been using the tunnels. I set an ambush. We find a lurker and I have her beheaded.
1702410725244.png

By this time the whole neighborhood has smallpox. I unsiege my lands, defeat the rebels when they stop running, and lay siege to Kucha. I tell a courtier not to murder her husband and I tell my son’s wife not to murder me. My siege of Kucha becomes useless in April when that rebel dies of poor health and I inherit his lands. Another battle in August. On New Years Eve the rebel capital falls and they surrender. They have heirs, so I pass title revocation allowed. One rebel gets flayed to death. The other crushed to death. He had two counties so one passed to his son who weirdly doesn’t like me but is also a toddler so can’t do much.

Time to re-give out lands. My son gets the barony. Three low-born Nestorian Uyghurs get land: Kul, gets Kubera and Kucha. He already has a son and daughter. Tonra gets Charkliq. Yarak gets Mingoi as well as Karashar after successfully murdering the toddler count (all my new vassals joined my plot, 500% plot power, smothered in 5 weeks). My demesne limit dropped by 1 when I became stressed, so the repeatedly sacked county of Yuni goes to Dharmapriya, Buddhist Tocharian, and brother of the woman my chaplain wanted to burn.
1702410752021.png

Things should be better going forward as I now have vassals who like me and the peasants are still placid. I decide to spy on my only original vassal remaining, Chief Sotan of Monkh Khairkhan, who is also my only tribal vassal and is an Uyghur Buddhist. In March I spread the rumor he is having carnal relations with a goat. In April the smallpox finally breaks up. On September 8, 873 I die of severe stress.

My epitaph is “For his wicked deeds, many screamed not to bury Borc with the other rulers of our lands, instead to toss him in an unmarked grave and without proper services. May Borc finally pay for his sins in the afterlife.” As for my new character, “Always clad in glistening and splendid armor, Arslan wants everyone to see him as he charges into battle.”

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Do you have some longterm strategy for this playthrough or you will remain opportunist?
No, will be an opportunist. Would be nice to end up Nestorian long-run but who knows. One thing I will mention is if my dynesty dies out I will switch to the new ruler as long as there is a Karashar. Roleplaying won't always fit with sane dynesty preservation strategies after all (paranoid lunatics can collapse the family tree *fast*)
As @Flinteroon notes, a part of the world that doesn't get played in much in AARLand, so I am interested too, right from the start.

Your sarcasm is noted!

Good start to this play-through AAR. Looking forward to more.
Thanks!
That start could've been better, but at least there are less traitors in your realm.

One wonders if... less than virtuous actions might be a way to expand the dynasty...

I predict that Kumul will eventually revolt. Hopefully your dynasty is in a better position by then.
Yes, trying to be virtuous is well and good, but I sort of notice that it has been 6 years of marriage and 0 kids for my Arslan at this point. Kumul did join the revolt. That is the Silarakite I burned at the stake in the first revolt. At this point internal threats have been greatly reduced though a new ruler may present challenges.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That revolt went very well, even if your demesne was sacked. At least your vassals don't all hate you now.

It's clear that Borc had a horrific reputation. That epitaph is a complete insult.

• 1Like
Reactions:
September 873-January 883:
1702570305395.png

So literally the only thing Arslan has achieved in the last 6.5 years is gain 1 point of martial and take the hunting focus. No personality change. No children. Expect a lot more external war going forward given his personality. And given his diplomacy and general intelligence, don’t expect me to obsess over the details by doing things like checking if people have alliances before declaring war.

So lets get started. I can hold 1 more county than my father thanks to a not-dumb wife. So barony is kept, and Lop Nor given to Tenribogu, my only friend, who is also Nestorian Uyghur. I create the Duchy of Kumul so I am lined up to create the Kingdom of Khotan once I get 200 piety. The only minor challenge is I am Buddhist so can’t get piety from holy wars. Well that and having the trait lustful reduces my automatic piety gain to 0.01 per month. Hopefully we won’t have to wait 1,667 years…

In October, I declare war on Jiuquin for the silk road center of Dunhuang. I also get the event to appoint a woman to my council. Which I do. Which reduces Count Mingoi’s opinion of by 80 between indignation at being fired and believing he deserves a council seat and makes everyone else grumpy too. I deny any allegations I was unduly influenced by her charming personality.
1702570329392.png

In February my wife tells me she is pregnant. Terek proves she is a good choice by forging a claim on the Duchy of Khotan. Which cut my gold in half. I fight Jiuquan and win and capture the Duke. There is a reason Arslan is addicted to the battlefield.
1702570352635.png

I now have a new Han Taoist vassel who dislikes me. I immediately declare war on Khotan. Another smallpox epidemic starts spreading, but I am to proud to close the gates in fear. Tenribogu sends me a pet dog I name faithful. I hire the Tanguts in July as Khotan hired mercenaries. My steward and chief is wounded gathering taxes. My wife has a stillbirth in September. In January 875 I defeat Khotan.
1702570378690.png

In April in another battle I gain the trait unyielding. I lay siege to Khotan and the defenders successfully raid my camps in August, October, January, and March. In January I gain the trait kind.
1702570403520.png

Khotan surrenders in April and Papa Karakanid dies. My brother-in-law is not interested in an alliance either. My wife becomes pregnant again in August. I decide the Khaganate of Kara Khorum (Mongol Nestorian) should be my tributary, currently they are a tributary of Mongolia (Kirghiz Manichean). My wife is feeling cheery with her pregnancy and I let her have her fun. My daughter is born March 5, 877. Finally an heir! She takes after my side of the family more than her mother in intelligence. In May the Mongols surrender. Mongolia was busy fighting the Cumans and I mopped it up before they could arrive (even nomads aren’t scary with 4-1 numerical advantage!). The Mongols, U-Tsang, and Saminids could all squish us flat, but so far this game don’t seem interested.
1702570416797.png

By the end of the year powerful council authority and independence factions have formed. Dharmapriya wants to forge a claim on my titles, refuses to stop. I successfully imprison him, put him in house arrest. In February 878, Terek successfully forges a claim on the county of Kashgar. In March I fail to gain content in an event. In December I capture the Duke of Kashgar in battle, bringing that war to an end. In December, Oghulbaris died and I inherit his land and keep it, but give Kashgar to Dharmawarme, a Tocharian Buddhist courtier captured by my father and released by me and the barony to a Buddhist Uyghur courtier. He becomes Marshal. Qutlugh plots to claim my lands and is arrested. Truce with Jiuquan ends so go in for another county. Karakhanids have fallen apart into 3 microrealms. I defeat Jiuquan in November 879.
1702570434269.png

Count of Charkliq dies, give the county to my friend Tenriborgu. Was my spymaster, my wife replaces him. In August Jiuquan surrenders, give the county to the Nestorian Uyghur 8-year-old posthumous son of Jiaohe. I am called to way by my vassal Kara Khorum against a Mongolia invasion. Defeat a Mongolian vassal army in June 881. My steward suggests making something to reflect my gloriousness, which sounds great.
1702570453851.png

My wife has twins August 5th. A comely, but weak and small, son and heir and a dim daughter!
1702570465581.png
1702570470695.png

In September, I fight the main Mongolian army. I learn fighting nomads is hard. I win, but lose more men and my hand.
1702570483217.png
1702570487478.png

A large vassel army is approaching so I try to withdraw to unite with mercenaries. This fails, but I win anyway. The mercenaries get whaked by 750 men meanwhile.
1702570504241.png

Lop Nor peasants revolt in February. In March my wound heals and Terek dies. Take vengeance on the 750 men. My steward reveals a giant statute of myself, leaving me speechless. Another female chancellor option pops up. Just as good as Tarek, though the poor count I had just appointed to replace Tarek is mad. Peasants crushed in July. My son dies in August so my slow (now Haughty too!) daughter is heir again. In December the 3rd Battle of Aj Bogd ends in a decisive defeat. Stark reminder that we are fundamentally a second-tier power.
1702570526557.png

In January Khotan (mad about me making him an ex-Duke) and my Han vassal launch an independence revolt to take advantage of my weakness. On another note, up to 68 piety after 10 years! At that rate will take another 20 years to form the Kingdom, but then Arslan is only 38. Here are our gains for the decade and notable neighbors:
1702570535176.png

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congrats on your military victories!

Those denials about your motives for appointing Terek would probably be more believable if your character wasn't lustful...

• 1Like
Reactions:
February 883-March 893:

My heir turns 6 and I choose the duty focus for her and make my wife guardian as I’m not an out-of-the-box thinker when it comes to medieval gender dynamics. I’m just letting the rebels exist while my levies rebound, no real threat as they have two widely separated armies sieging vassals. I think a courtier is attracted to me, can’t resist temptation, so make her my concubine. In September she tells me she is pregnant. The rebels hire the Tanguts, so I hire Bodpa mercenaries. Defeat the smaller rebel army. In April she has a stillbirth.
1702739337093.png

Get a claim on one of Kashgar’s counties in July. Qutlugh dies in my dungeons in August 884. His county goes to a 13-year-old Buddhist Burusho. I unsiege Yarkand, fail to catch the rebel army and siege Khotan. On August 13th, 885, I finally pin them down at a town called Ruoquiang. And am killed in combat by a Tangut mercenary. My army goes down in defeat. And thus ends Arslan’s 8-year reign.
1702739361612.png

As a result of that regrettable encounter, I am now a slow, haughty 8-year-old. At least I am diligent. More importantly, my mother, AKA the main accumulation of brain cells in my entire family tree, is regent.
1702739399735.png
1702739408757.png

The Duchy of Kumul is inherited by my 4-year-old sister Azgan. Who also shows few signs of intellectual gianthood. I check the tech tab and we level up in cavalry (seems appropriate given recent defeat) and noble customs (given cause of recent defeat). In October, I get an event with a courtier. I’m haughty so wait for him to come to me. I avoid becoming timid, but also avoid getting a friend. I apparently am a bit rough with other kids, try to be nicer, but don’t get affectionate.
1702739429959.png
1702739434596.png

My chaplain has to be fired in June 886, as he perhaps was a bit overfocused on building up earthly treasures as opposed to heavenly, AKA charging people for various religious favors. In August we defeat the rebels and capture a bishop.
1702739457844.png

In December, I am too haughty to back down to a bully. I finally gain a trait, wounded. It turns out fighting a strong, rowdy boy older than me was not a good idea. Fists are just as hard no matter how lofty your view of yourself is. I inherit Dunhuang in January 887. I go on an imaginary adventure with my imaginary friends and gain the trait playful.
1702739477266.png
1702739493517.png

I pick up a court physician/chaplain in February 887. He is a brilliantly intelligent Goth from Crimea named Ioustinianos. He is married off to my mother’s friend.
1702739521739.png

I win another battle against the rebels. My wound has healed and now I have a scar. In October, I go fishing, but get bored and head home when nothing bites. In September 888 my capital is sacked by a very large band of raiding Kirghiz, but fortunately no-one is captured. Finally in November the rebels surrender. The county of Keriya is revoked and given to Ioustinianos. No hope of getting the Count of Khotan’s remaining lands as he has 5 sons. The Kirghiz are too many to realistically fight, so are left to sack me in peace. My sister gets on my nerves, but ultimately we are family. I gain the trait kind.
1702739546348.png

I chose the diplomatic education focus. In September I learn Guuro, now my sister’s vassal, managed to forge a claim on Kara Khoja for himself. In October 889, the Kirgiz finish sacking my border regions and wander home. In January, conscientious becomes diligent. In March 891 I turn 14 and celebrate by matrilineally marrying the uncle of a Tibetan duke. Playful becomes gregarious in December.
1702739559444.png

In February 893 my spymaster steals economic tech from the Kirghiz. On March 5, 893, I come of age! The last five years have been astonishingly slow, very few even minor events. I become an underhanded rogue and my mother persuades me to be ambitious like her.
1702739576417.png

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
March 893-April 906:
1702911275772.png

Here is our new ruler! She is like her father a one-trick pony except here it is diplomacy. This may be useful as we’ve (2.75k men) been lucky the Saminids (7.5k), U-Tsang (6.4k), and Mongolians (8.3k) haven’t come after us (usually have by now from what I’ve seen in other games). Seems a pretty nice person as CKII characters go! Expect rather less war. I chose the ambition to become King of Khotan, which should be achievable within a decade as we are gaining 1.05 Karma per month much better than Arslan!). I decide to sway Uncle Karakanid. My sister won’t ally me for political reasons. One would think that would be a good reason as I can raise 2X the men she can. For focus I chose carousing. In August, I decide I need to be careful about my tendency toward pride and hubris and lose the trait.
1702911292808.png

My first party is a success, become friends with Sarigha Jiandu, the female chancellor after Tarek died for my father. In October I start construction on a temple holding in Luntai. In April 894, I send an envoy to my uncle to no effect. In July I pass levy shifted noble obligations, which increases my vassel levy by 200 men. My sister in August loses Kumtag when Guuro inherits the Duchy of Kashgar. In November, Sarigha dies, but fortunately I don’t become depressed.
1702911308338.png

The Kirgiz come back and in November destroy the temple under construction. There goes 560 gold… My steward upsets the peasants. As I am kind, this upsets me. I fire him and replace him with a mayor researching economic tech. I invest in the Military Organization and Infantry techs. In December two of my counts, Dharmawarme and Devadasa, ally. I also become friends with County Tamirbuqa.
1702911326627.png

I hired Pecheneg mercenaries. I also finally improve relations with my uncle, but then notice he lost all his lands and is now an adventurer. In May 895 I attack the Kirghiz raiders and lose. My Marshal has an idea to increase military tech spread. I hire Turkic mercenaries, but the Kirghiz wonder off and I can’t take vengeance.
1702911342003.png

Meanwhile the Karashar peasants revolt. In November, the Catota peasants also do. Another homeless Karluk tries to raid me and kills the Karashar revolt in the process before I crush them. In February 897, Ioustinianos teaches me how to be more pious.

1702911353923.png

In March, Mgar the Girl-Arm of Ngari, an U-Tsang vassel, declares war on me for the county of Keriya. My finances and levies are both somewhat depleted by the Kirghiz incident. Also my uncle is now raiding me. I see he is willing to settle down, but wants more than a mere county. A writer offers to compose my family chronicles but I turn him down under the circumstances. The Cadota peasants are crushed in November. Khara Khorum decides to raid me. Dharmawarme dies. My spymaster steals military tech. In July I become stressed by everything going on. In September we fight Uncle Karakhanid. It is a clean victory. For him that is.

1702911369070.png

At least I now have the money to hire Jurchen mercenaries. In March my Marshal increases troop morale and in April we crush the Kara Khorum raiders. I learn I am pregnant in June. I pray for my child’s wellbeing and become very talkative. My Uncle has wondered off to raid Kashgar. We work on unsieging the holdings Girl-Arm occupied. My son is born January 16th, 900. He is strong, bright, and tall. I chose to breastfeed him. He gains

1702911382034.png

In July I defeat Girl-Arm. He has a large army, but half of the manpower is light infantry from the 2.5k tribal levy for prestige option.
1702911397771.png

I start vomiting in September, Ioustinianos thinks I have dysentery. He has me drink breast milk which fails to fix the vomiting. I start feeling fatigued which makes him think it might be cancer. He has me sleep with an acorn under my pillow which helps a bit. In late November, I learn it *is* cancer. At this point he has me smell a goat’s gas, which actually helps quite a bit.
1702911422303.png
1702911426557.png

The day after New Years, Girl-Arm agrees to a white peace. Uncle dies of severe stress. A Manchian Kirgiz adventurer named Tardush is raiding me. I wonder where Uncle went and the answer is Afghanistan. I fight the raider in June 901 as I need to fire my mercenaries. It goes surprisingly well.
1702911453188.png

I see my sister has regained Kumtang. There was a successful peasant revolt from Kashgar and she then vassalized them in a war. In July, Tardush, undeterred by his defeat, declares a war for my tribal vassal’s lands. I then realize he was so eager he didn’t wait for his forces finish routing. In May 902, Ioustinianos dies and I inherit Keriya. My maternal grandmother dies in August. In October, Ladakh, another U-Tsang vassal, declares war for Karghalik. Fortunately Ioustinianos’s money means I can hire back the Jurchens. In February, we defeat and capture Tardush.
1702911464266.png

In November, my chancellor improves the Count of Kubera’s opinion of me. The war with Ladakh has descended into sieges. In February I defeat reinforcements. I become pregnant in June. Kubera becomes my designated regent. In July I defeat the main army. I go falconing in September successfully. In November my husband enlists some women to keep me entertained. They are very solicitious, but as I have the trait diligent, I get to gain a point of stewardship.
1702911477610.png
1702911481401.png

Ladakh white peaces. On January 16th, 905, 5 years to the day after my firstborn, my son Manglik is born. He is strong. Another Karluk adventurer is raiding me. I decide to settle him in Dunhuang. Also in January I learn Luntai is prospering. I gain the trait falconear. I lose stressed in February. In August I defeat a small Karluk raiding group. After looking through the characters page I realize that is the last one. The wave of Karluk adventurers released by the loss of their homeland is no more. There are a few dozen courtiers scattered around Eurasia, but no counties, no rulers besides my count.
1702911505349.png

I become pregnant in August again. The Turks raid me, but he has 30 martial so not touching that with a 10-foot pole as only the county of Kashgar is in range for him. My childhood rival wants me to put his wife in the stocks for adultry. I do no such thing. I’m looking attractive with my pregnancy, but decide not to flount it. My huband in January 906 once again enlists women to keep me enterained. I gain another point of stewardship from being able to resist being spoiled. Kara Khorum raids me and gets crushed. My eldest son Yaruk turns 6, I choose struggle focus as martial is his best stat and the last decade has rubbed in me the need for that. In February an artist offers to paint a picture of Arslan, which I think would be great. I decide to ransom Khotan, who has been imprisoned for 17 years. I finally can crown myself Queen of Khotan! The brother Tocharian counts of Aksuand and Uchturpan sware fealty. A third son Ulig is born in March and is comely! Lets stop here.

But first lets check the neighborhood. Here is one of those great characters CKII can throw up sometimes. Aksonque the Noble started ruling just one county, his only inheritance from his father who lost the homelands by the Aral Sea. He took advantage of the chaos post-Papa Karakhanid to slowly take over the Karluk lands. He has repulsed 2 Cuman invasions. U-Tsang is rapidly expanding. Overran most of the small states and trimmed down Xia. It is only 8 counties short of being able to restore the Tibetan Empire. Mongolia hasn’t been doing much. Samanids have been expanding into Punjab.
1702911534149.png

Attachments

• 1702911408268.png
    1702911408268.png
    531,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congrats on forming a kingdom! That should prevent the loss of lands from inheritance. Maybe your sister and her descendants will swear allegiance to you now?

Now, if only you could do something about all of those damaging raids...

• 1Like
Reactions:
May 906-January 916:
Finally we are at peace! I need to pick a new ambition, which is groom an heir. I shift noble vassel obligations toward levies. My reign has seen an impresive rise in vassel levies between legal changes and being likeable, from 800 men to 2000. Meanwhile my personal levies have stayed flat at 1600. I start swaying Qamdo, which is close to being willing to ally. My Karluk vassel has already converted to the local culture, Han. Sister Azgan finally married, to the Count of Charkliq. But the marriage seems to have gone sour as he is currently in revolt against her attempt to revoke his lands. I throw a party and gain the trait socializer even if my gambling goes badly.
1703086135669.png
1703086141222.png

I start to wonder if my friend Tamirbuqa fancies me in a more sentual way, but I am kind and like my husband so don’t try to find out.
1703086166132.png

In March 907, Qamdo forms an alliance with me. I betroth my middle son Manglik to the Khagan of Ob’s daughter. My eldest Yarak to a Rashtrakuta princess. Start swaying Kashgar. My chief makes himself High Chief of Beshbaliq in June. Azgan defeats her husband in July In October I usurp the Duchy of Kashgar. I learn I am pregnant again in January 908. In April I become friends with a courtier named Kadin and also encourage peasant dancing.
1703086189911.png

I have shifted to swaying the Count of Yopurga who became independent when I usurped Kashgar from his liege. I invite him for a visit which goes well. I have a comely, strong daughter named Yigash born August 16th. Unfortunately the labor doesn’t go well and I catch puerperal fever. But after 3 weeks I recover.
1703086205834.png
1703086209319.png
1703086215419.png

I catch Yaruq opening my letters and decide he could use reading practice. My sister’s husband has inherited Lop Nor from his father. My spymaster steals more tech. We are now Level 3 in all culture tech. We level up skirmish techniques. In May 909, my Marshal suggests ex-Karluk Orge become a commander. In July I send Yopura a letter and he is willing to become a vassel. Start swaying Kashgar again, now mere Count of Artux. Azgan’s husband was murdered by his sister who inherited his county. She is married to Artux. Azgan in response tries to arrest her, resulting in a tyranny revolt. I notice my sister has a 3-year-old ugly son now. In december my Steward annoys the peasants collecting taxes.

On March 16, 910, I die of cancer at the age of 33. I have reigned for 24 years. I get a kinder epitah than my father or grandfather: “A talkative person and a sensible host, Bulit was renown across the realm for her welcoming and cheerful attitude.” By the time of her death, she had 21 diplomacy. I am now a 10-year-old. Yaruq however shows a decent bit of promise.

1703086246555.png

I only have two counties in my demesne. My brother Manglik got the Duchy of Khotan and one county while Ulug gains Kashgar and two counties. Dunhuang and Yangguan become independent as they are de-jure Xia and separated from the rest of my lands by Azgan.
1703086297373.png
1703086310269.png

My Court Chaplain is regent and is even more of a 1-trick pony than my mother or grandfather.
1703086342481.png

In May, I become friends with my sister, gaining the trait playful.
1703086357921.png

In August, a peasant calls out saying I look lovely today and I nod and accept the complement graciously. My Steward collects a special tax in September. Not much happens in 911 besides chasing some raiders. In March 912, I chose a diplomatic education focus. I notice Orge died, passed to a cousin who is still Karluk and conquered a second county from Tangut Nagormo. In September, Curious becomes Shrewd. In February 913, Tardush is back to raid me after a dozen years! He wrecks some of my levies. Ladakh declares war for Karghalik again. We hire Pecheneg mercenaries. In May, Girl-Arm of Ngari decides to go for Keriya again. Tardush sacks the capital and then right after gets thrashed.
1703086381322.png

My regent is craven, so we surrender to Girl-Arm when we see he has near 8000 men. In July 914 we defeat Ladakh.
1703086398334.png

In September, my regent pushes me to learn the skills of ruling, but I decide I like playing with friends more. I gain the trait content. In October, affectionate becomes trusting.
1703086416095.png

The Count of Mingoi is arrested in October as he refused to stop trying to forge a claim on the Duchy of Karashar. In January 915 Ladakh comes back and we defeat them again. They agree to a white peace. In March, the count of Khotan usups the Duchy of Khotan from my brother Manglik. In April I learn there is corruption among the priests in Luntai. Fortunately I have no temple holding in Luntai (thanks to that one Kirghiz raid) so no revenue impact.
1703086429185.png

The new Duke of Khotan decides to revoke Manglik’s county in August. I ask him to surrender, he says he will for a favor. Bad deal on his part because he is just a courtier with a favor now while his 6-year-old son is the actual duke. I become friends with my brother Ulig in September. In January 916, I come of age. I become a grey eminence. Playful becomes deceitful. And ***lunatic***

Very interesting read. I like the style of writing.

Impressive how all the big kingdoms are so reticent to attack. Genghis Khan would be disappointing...
Thanks! Yes, has been weirdly placid. None of the big 3 have fought me directly at all! U-Tsang has been doing a lot of expanding too. I've checked this neighborhood enough in games at this start date to know this is rare. Very common for Tarim basin to have huge chunks cut out by Saminids and Tibet. Often in the same game as subjugated by Mongolia. All 3 are powers that I would find very hard to defeat even under good conditions.
Congrats on forming a kingdom! That should prevent the loss of lands from inheritance. Maybe your sister and her descendants will swear allegiance to you now?

Now, if only you could do something about all of those damaging raids...
Nope, sister has no such plan. Yeah, without the kingdom we would have been very broken up. Yes, had surprisingly few raids for a while, but now making up for that. But other than the Kirghiz its just an annoyance even if an occasional holding gets sacked when I'm busy. As for 'solutions', expect the border provinces to get somewhat neglected constructionwise.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A content ruler? It looks like there won't be much expansion right now...

It looks like getting rid of gavelkind didn't get rid of all the division a succession can cause, but at least it improved the situation.

• 2Like
Reactions:
50-Year World Update:
1703172959705.png

Yumtan ‘the Magnificent’ ruled U-Tsang from 854-889. He inherited Guge in 875. Nagchu, Qamdo, and Dege became vassals. In 885, he created the Kingdom of Kham. His son Palkhorre only reigned 6 years. It passed to his minor son Dharmapala, then his daughter Yondagmo. They did little other than shrink Xia, but vassels added Nepal, Bhutan, Sumpara. Now the final daughter, Dringma ‘the Tenacious’ rules. She needs just 2 counties to restore the Empire of Tibet. Saminids are in rough spot. Ismail II ‘the Tormentor’ has ruled since he was 5 years old. His sister Azarmidokht ‘the Usurper’ in 911 siezed control of Khorasan. Everyone then dogpiled her. A Saffarid had inherited Kabulistan and took the opportunity to become independent.
1703173003108.png
1703173006871.png
1703173013044.png

The Manchian Kirghiz Mongolia is just hanging out as it likes to do this game though Calbah ‘the Frog’ did fight off a revolt 2 years ago and the Cumans 8 years earlier. Can raise near 8k men including vassals/tributaries. Cumania and And Ogli are both Cuman Tengri and can raise 2.5k men each. Aksonqur died in 909 and his son Uzluk rules the Yabguid Turks. They can raise 2.8k men.
1703173043127.png
1703173047175.png
1703173050518.png

1703173130969.png

India has largely been stagnant. There was a Messelian (yes the incest Christians!) realm from 899-909 before Pandya and Sri Lanka overran it. Rashtrakuta is doing well, moderately expanded under Maharaja Jagattunga who ruled from 880-905. The Pratihara are split between two sons. They expanded under their starting ruler who died in 871, conquering the Bana Sama and taking the Indus mouth from Sindh, but since then stagnated. Split between brothers. Mahendrapala II rules the much stronger half. His brother Mahipal can raise 3k men by contrast. The Pala are also split. Dhir Singh rules the larger part. His aunt Vijnayavati can raise 3k men.
1703173165030.png
1703173169662.png
1703173173770.png

The Doolhani of Sindh are surviving, currently losing war with Pratihara, but Abbasids have joined in. The Abbasids have exploded. Most of this growth happened under Caliph Khalil who ruled from 872-891. Under is the applicable word as he became Caliph as a 2-year-old, 5 when the Kingdom of Daylam was formed, 7 when he conquered the Saffarids, 21 when he was assassinated. Apparently a bold regent. Al-Muhtadi has ruled since 893 and recently finished the conquest of Georgia. Saffarids still rule Kerman and Sistan as vassals. Al-Sharabi dynasty rules 4 duchies and the Kingdom of Daylam in a huge arc around the Caspian Sea. Hashimids still rule Medina, but lost Mecca in 899.
1703173211903.png
1703173215321.png
1703173219457.png

1703173242497.png

The Tulunids have conquered most of Nubia and reduced Makuria to a tributary. Damot is the only other remaining Christian realm in East Africa (CKII pretty much always sees Nubia/Ethiopia overrun). The Sultanate of Africa has changed ruling dynesty twice, but hasn’t done too much other than a couple holy wars. Currently Orthodox Sardinia is in revolt against them. The Shia Irisids were William the Conquerer’d in 911 by the Emir of Gascogne, an Ummyad vassal. Which was good timing on his part as Gasconge is now being occupied by Aquitaine vassals. His entire family is in Toulouse custody.
1703173294735.png
1703173298618.png
1703173302015.png

Umayyads have expanded, but not like they sometimes do. Winning a tyranny revolt now. Asturias lost Castile when the Umayyads jumped then during an unsuccessful effort to claim Aquitaine. At the other end of the Med, the Bulgarians just finished conquering Serbia. They lost their Carpathian lands back in 869 to the Hungarians. Boris ‘the Lionheart’ conquered Sicily from the Muslims in 884. The Balgarsko still rule. In the Byzantine Empire, the Makedonians lost control in 899. Then the Lachanodrakons of Thracesia inherited. Phokas II ‘the Frog’ gained the throne when his cousin was forced to abdicate. He has crushed several revolts and Trezibond is in revolt. Cilicia has been hanging out surrounded by the Byzantines for a while thanks to Byzantine gains in Greater Syria.
1703173323017.png
1703173327000.png
1703173330555.png

Mali was formed by Manding under Bamari ‘the Tenactious’. Their first conquest had been Yatenga. But the Gurma got their revenge. Demba ‘the Brute’ would claim Mali in 910 in a duel in which Bamari’s son died. Ghana was claimed by a vassal in a duel in 876, elevated to kingdom in 891. Isli II ‘the Chaste’ of Kel Wi inherited 3 counties in Ghana than inherited his father’s duchy, both as a kid. He has now ruled for 37 years.
1703173380997.png
1703173386571.png
1703173391583.png

1703173408839.png

The Holy Roman Empire was formed in 876 by Ludwig ‘the German’. After him came 3 German rulers from 3 dynasties. Then in 912, Biagio ‘the Just’, the Italian Duke of Rhaetia, seized the crown. Aquitaine and Bavaria are still ruled by Karlings, but relatively weak realms. The independent Duchy of Upper Brittany is also Karling. In 912, the French people rose up against 30 years of Bavarian German rule under Richard ‘the Liberator’. Mercia is a theocracy since 883. The son of a previous duke seized the Mercian throne and used as his base the prince-bishopric of Northampton established in 867. The Duke of Wessex is about to lose his throne to an excommunication war. He is a seducer. His son and heir is currently sitting in his dungeons.
1703173424347.png
1703173427557.png
1703173431795.png

York is still ruled by a descendent of Halfdan ‘Whiteshirt’. Its heart is old Northumbria, though it rules other chunks of the British Isles. It is about to lose its continental foothold to the HRE. In Scandinavia not much has happened, still pagan and divided. Although Viken, Smaland, and Uppland have overseas possessions. The Kingdom of Estonia was formed by an Estonian but is now ruled by the Knytlings who have lost most of their Danish land. The Rurikids became kings in 907 under Helgi ‘the Tenacious’ and also became Slavic in religion.
1703173456567.png
1703173459445.png
1703173462689.png

The Hungarians took over the Carpathian Basin, then expanded north into Poland. Arpad ‘the Just’ converted to Catholicism which was a very convenient way of purging the Polish elite. To their west is Catholic Kuyavia which is pretty powerful when it hasn’t just messed up a holy war against the Norse and as a result experienced a pagan revolt. The Slavic pagans between them and the HRE have united under Meissen.

Except for Novgorod, the Russian lands are utterly fragmented. Chernigov is Muslim, but in the process of being wiped out by the Khazars who are undisputed masters of the western steppes. They haven’t expanded much, Magyar and Burtas lands and Alania (ruled by a Bagrationi Paulician vassal, last trace of the Kingdom of Georgia). They walled themselves off from the Bulgar and Cuman lands by making the Pechenegs tributaries. But their population has soared and their tributary network. The Khazar sphere can raise *18k* men.
1703173504678.png
1703173508352.png
1703173511985.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's nice to get a map update. I imagine an empire of Tibet on your borders could be a problem, though...

Scandinavia, India, and Britain are still divided, but much of the rest of the world seems to be stabilizing. I wonder if anything will happen as a result of the Persian Struggle to change that, especially for the Abbasids...

• 1Like
Reactions: