• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OHgamer said:
Among the changes

New resources (sugar, capital ship hulls, chemicals) and New Factories (synth nitrate factory, chemical plant, capital shipyard)

Taiping is now modelled as a full war between China and the Taiping as a separate state (much as the US Civil War is modelled with a separate CSA).

the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913 are now fully modded in.

as tech research rises in the second half of the game, costs will increase for education and crime fighting to replicate the growing development of sophisticated security and educational infrastructures. Similary further research in army and navy will increase overall defense spending costs.

If all goes well in the remainder of testing, a target date of late May, before the American Memorial Day holiday, is what we are aiming for public release. but again, that is not inscribed in stone, and may change as needed.
Sounds very good, especially the increases in spending costs.

While I'm looking forward to playing, it's done when it's done and the target date doesn't matter so much to me. However, in the mean time I do greatly appreciate the occiasional update like above. About what's currrently being worked on, plans, bugs, etc. It makes the mod feel more alive to me, and maybe I'm not alone in that. So thanks!

OHgamer said:
Among the changes

New resources (sugar, capital ship hulls, chemicals) and New Factories (synth nitrate factory, chemical plant, capital shipyard)

Taiping is now modelled as a full war between China and the Taiping as a separate state (much as the US Civil War is modelled with a separate CSA).

as tech research rises in the second half of the game, costs will increase for education and crime fighting to replicate the growing development of sophisticated security and educational infrastructures. Similary further research in army and navy will increase overall defense spending costs.

If all goes well in the remainder of testing, a target date of late May, before the American Memorial Day holiday, is what we are aiming for public release. but again, that is not inscribed in stone, and may change as needed.
Sounds very good, especially the increases in spending costs.

While I'm looking forward to playing, it's done when it's done and the target date doesn't matter so much to me. However, in the mean time I do greatly appreciate the occiasional update like above. About what's currrently being worked on, plans, bugs, etc. It makes the mod feel more alive to me, and maybe I'm not alone in that. So thanks!

OHgamer said:
Among the changes

Sounds good!

OHgamer said:

Finally! Wooooo! I am a happy Swissman now. :D

With VIP:R 0.2 now in final beta testing stage, I've decided to offer up a little peak as some of the changes that have been implemented in the game since VIP:R 0.1. While the amount of changes is not as large as in VIP:R 0.1, there were several areas of changes made, including a major reworking to add new resources and factories, which requires a huge amount of testing to balance correctly.

Geopolitical Changes

ScreenSave1-2.jpg

China struggling to contain the Taiping rebels in the early 1850s

One of the main gameplay changes in the geopolitical realm concerns China, where the Taiping Rebellion has now been modelled along the lines of the US Civil War, with the Taiping as a separate nation. Should Taiping succeed in overthrowing the Qing Dynasty, it will become China, while China must defeat and occupy the Taiping lands in order to crush the rebellion. With pro-Taiping revolts possible in much of China that does not immediately come under Taiping control, and with rebel provinces in certain areas having the ability to defect to become part of Taiping, this should make China much more challenging in the 1850s.

ScreenSave2-4.jpg

The White Rajas of Sarawak carve out a territory for themselves in NW Borneo

Sarawak, the land of the White Rajas, now exists in game, first as a satellite of Brunei, later as a satellite of Britain.

ScreenSave3-2.jpg
ScreenSave4-1.jpg

The Balkans transformed as war breaks out between the Ottomans and the Balkan League in 1912, and the end result along historical lines by the end of 1913.

As VIP moves closer to being able to bring World War I into the mod, the Balkan Wars have now been included in the mod. If all the nations involved directly in the war are AI controlled, events will fire to ensure a historical outcome, but each of the main nations involved (Bulgaria, Greece, Serbia, Romania, Ottomans) also will have options to keep fighting, though risking the ire of the great powers who did not want the Balkans torn asunder in 1912 and put heavy pressure on the Balkan states to accept peace.

Economic Changes

One of the big focuses of development for VIP:R 0.2 was the decision to replace some of the factories and resources in 0.1 with new factories and resources in 0.2. The result was the addition of one new raw material (sugar) two new industrial goods (chemicals and capital ship hulls) and four new factories (chemical plant, capital shipyard, sugar beet refinery and synthetic nitrate factory).

To accomplish these changes, some resources and factories have been removed from the game. Ammunition and the Ammunition Factory are now removed, and the needs for ammunition are now subsumed into the supply cost for units. Wool has been replaced, and now there is a generic livestock resource combining cattle and wool, and luxury furniture has been removed, replaced by a general luxury goods good and factory based on the luxury clothes resource. The radio factory has now become the factory for synthetic nitrates, and radios merged with telephones into an "appliance" factory.

ScreenSave9-3.jpg

One of the sugar-rich RGO regions of the world, the Caribbean basin.

ScreenSave5-1.jpg
ScreenSave8-3.jpg

The new Chemical Plant and Capital Shipyard factories

The chemical plant will be available from the start of the game, and chemicals have been added to the factory needs of several early basic factories, such as fabric and steel, as well as being an input in the vast majority of later game factories.

ScreenSave7-1.jpg
ScreenSave6.jpg

Industrial substitutes to imported resources vital to 19th century life : sugar refined from sugar beet, and synthetic nitrates.

The development of "substitution" industries to break dependence on imports of goods was one of the major focuses of research in the 19th century, and in two industries in particular, sugar and nitrates, the results would allow continental Europe in particular to break dependence on imports and in the case of sugar, become a leading producer (Germany was the leading producer of sugar around 1900, in wake of massive expansion of the beet refining industry).

in addition to the new factories to represent these goods, events have also been included to mirror the decline in the "natural" suppliers fortunes for cane sugar, nitrates (and dye) so that those areas of the world dependent on those goods will have to come to terms with the rise of the industrially-based production that destroyed or gravely reduced the market for the "natural" goods.

All of these factories have been tested to ensure that the capitalists will build them (they in general do, eventually) and events have also been included to allow the state the ability to build one of each factory as well, as was the case with other factories in VIP:R 0.1 that many players have said they found a great introduction.

(to be continued...)

Awsome, Awsome, Awsome, Awsome, Awsome & absolutly great! :cool: :cool:

Economic Changes part 2​

ScreenSave10-3.jpg

The new requirements to build a dreadnaught and the costs to keep it running in VIP:R 0.2

With the introduction of capital ship hulls, there has been an overhaul in naval units, with costs to maintain the ships once build being raised significantly. Hulls will be needed starting with destroyers, and the number needed for the various ship types increasing with each new category.

Budgetary costs have also been tweaked further for 0.2. The biggest changes are in regards to the increase in costs for crime fighting, defense and education that will be incurred as level four, level five and level six techs are researched. This represents the increased cost to the state of the development of modern bureaucracies to deal with increasingly modern systems of education, crime control and defense establishments.

ScreenSave12-1.jpg
ScreenSave13-3.jpg
ScreenSave14-2.jpg

Examples of the increase in budgetary costs that come with research of later technologies.

As a result, one will find as the game evolves and your nation becomes ever more advanced that the cost of administration keeps going up, and up, and up.

ScreenSave11-3.jpg

Belgium's budget in 1915, with a narrow surplus due to the increasing costs of education, policing and defense.

(to be continued)

Great!

BTW, you have often spoke about some modifications in South American political events. Are they in? :)

:eek: That good economy i never have i guess im not so good with the victorian economy :p

More Cultures!

Another area where more improvement has been made is in the addition of even more cultures in different parts of the world.

One area that has been given a massive overworking is the native peoples of North America :

ScreenSave15-1.jpg
ScreenSave16-1.jpg
ScreenSave17-1.jpg

ScreenSave18.jpg
ScreenSave19-1.jpg

ScreenSave20-1.jpg
ScreenSave21-2.jpg

North America's Native American cultural mosaic given greater representation in VIP:R 0.2

Here is just a sampling of the 23 new North American native cultures that have been added into VIP:R 0.2. While there are not nearly enough tags to do full justice to the North American Native mosaic, the new cultures should provide a better picture of the cultural fragmentation that existed in the Western and central parts of North America at the start of the scenario, and will in future allow for events specific to relations between Euro-descent settlers and the various native communities to be developed.

(to be continued)

Cool :cool: Nice pig, cow & sheep picture :rofl: :p

cool-toxic said:
In which scenario would one ever need to use the Chemicals to make Synthetic Nitrate(Sulphur)? When to make Chemicals you need Sulphur.

Or did I misunderstand and they are two different ressources with same icon?

synth nitrate comes later, and does indeed require a small amount of chemicals to convert the basic material into a nitrate substitute.

While the development of chemicals does indeed include natural nitrates from the start.

so the result is you are dependent on natural nitrates to make chemicals, until the synth nitrates develop, which will allow you to use a small bit of your chemical production to produce your own nitrates that can be used to substitute for importing natural nitrates.

I am salivating... these pics and updates look aboslutely stunning.

You've obviously been putting lots of work into this, and I can't wait to give it a go.

more cultures, continued

North America was not the only area to benefit from new resources :

ScreenSave29-1.jpg
ScreenSave24-1.jpg

In Oceania, the Maori now are a separate culture in New Zealand, while Papuans have been separated from other Melanesian peoples on New Guinea (which is a legitimate difference, as Melanesian languages are completely unrelated to Papuan).

ScreenSave22-1.jpg

Burma's ethnic mosaic is now much more clearly depicted

ScreenSave23-1.jpg
ScreenSave26-1.jpg

ScreenSave27-1.jpg
ScreenSave28.jpg

Nigeria's ethnic mosaic is also defined, with the first two images showing the breakdown by culture in the Benin and Yoruba states, while the last two images show new cultures added to the southern lands of the Sokoto state

ScreenSave25-1.jpg

Finally, Switzerland's four language communities are now represented separately, with all 4 being national cultures for Switzerland, but now not national cultures for potential predatory neighbors the Swiss have historically resisted integration into.

another area we continue to work on is the AI files, especially in regards to naval construction. While we have not "fixed" issues of naval construction, we have seen major improvement in the AI nations naval building behavior, so that it focuses on building contemporary naval forces as they are invented. More work will be devoted in 0.3 and beyond for this issue to make it even better.

And this concludes the sneakpeak. Again, there are not as many changes in 0.2 as in 0.1, but due to the nature of many of the changes in the economy that required extensive balancing, as well as time focused on improving naval power among the AI nations, and the fact that a lot was added in 0.1, it should not be a surprise that the amount of visibly new material would be less, even if under the hood a lot has been worked on, as well as fixing bugs reported since the release of 0.1.

And as always, I remind everyone that this new version of VIP:R does not mean the mod is "done" - far from it, this is only its latest incarnation and much more work remains to be done in terms of events to reflect historical development and in creating more potential ahistorial lines of development.

if all goes according to plan, the release date is tentatively scheduled for Friday 23 May 2008 during the afternoon Eastern US time zone. This remains tentative and subject to change should last minute testing discover problems that will require addressing before release.

Hurrah for OHgame & The VIP development team!

Wow, this is some very impressive stuff, and the AI can take these new features into account? The amount of time devoted to this must be mind boggling...perhaps I should dust off Ricky after a little hiatus.