• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ozyhuboi

Second Lieutenant
39 Badges
May 26, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
...but they are completely unplayable right now. TL;DR they are horrifyingly OP and absolutely need to be patched.

So like everybody and their grandma, I went for a Hellenic SPQR achievement in the Charlemagne start, defensive pacts, supernatural events, and shattered retreat on. Since I started as the small count of Thebes, house of Skelros, I needed power and fast. So I joined the Satanists. Despite all the negative corruption and trait events, once you get to level 3, you have a powerful combination of two powers; abduct and possess. So the turning point of my campaign is shortly after I became Basileus and the Abbasids lost to decadence. I managed to abduct the 3rd or 4th line to the sultanate of Egypt, and possessed him. I spent the next few years cutting through the line until he was heir. Then a sudden tyranny revolt overthrew his father and now my little puppet was sultan, and he accepted vassalization. So that was how I conquered all of Egypt and Levant. I spent the next few years just cleaning things up and revoking titles. For both of these powerful actions, there are pretty much no consequences for failure. I must have failed to grab the kid half a dozen times but nobody seemed to care. Possess rang no alarm bells either. They only slowly tick up your “suspicion” modifier and give you some corruption, which nobody can do anything about until you cross the suspicion threshold and a good enough chaplain catches you, which is almost never if you are the top liege. Nobody from other realms care either, even if you just tried to kidnap their children.

On the flip side, I had no idea that demanding conversion would almost always make your realm full of secret religion societies. Within a few years, I was being inundated with catholic bibles and norse sagas. The next thing I know, my heir and half my viceroys are also secret catholics. Now the insanity was really starting, since I made my dynasty very large, pretty much every other viceroyalty was of my dynasty. Plus all the chaplains hunting apostates, a bunch of my dynasty members including my heir become kinslayers. I finally get sick of seeing half of my dynasty turning into barbecue, so I use my heir to rise to the deacon of the society of jesus (by assassination of course). From here, I can see all the secret Catholics with around 90 members. So I get a hunting. I use spy on to arrest people and plots to kill them. I check back every few years and notice that the member count has not changed! In fact, after arresting and executing a bunch at once, it fills right back up to 90! It’s like they’re automatically spawning members or are able to instantly convert members to fill the rank. For the next few years, I can only see all the barbecue skewers going up across my empire but the society count change not at all. My only last resort is to go public, convert back to Hellenism, and hunt them down in the open. There seems to be no other way. Moreover, the SoJ has the same lack of consequences as the Satanists. No matter how many bibles they send out or grounds they prepare, they basically have no consequences to failing each individual action and will only get caught once they reach the suspicion threshold. And if they do get caught, it doesn’t matter because they can just spawn more of them.

I am not opposed to secret societies having crazy powers (hell, I love it). I am opposed to the fact that there’s pretty much zero risk using them. Society actions are far more reliable and have a smaller chance of consequence than the standard imprisonments and executions, so why wouldn’t you use them? Not using them is pretty much a dumb move unless you’re hardcore roleplaying, but that doesn’t stop the AI from messing around and randomly infecting your heirs with rabies. It seems like the only option, is to turn them off at the start, shutting both you and the AI from all the benefits (not really any risks). If these actions can have the same effect as assassination plots and imprisonment actions, they should have comparable consequences/risks. If I fail to kidnap his kid and I am discovered, my target should also get a chance to try and kidnap me. If I get caught trying to infect someone, there should be a good chance it could backfire on me. If being a member of a secret religion has a good chance of getting a character killed or the moral authority is extremely low, they should be very reluctant to join outside of extraordinary circumstances. And getting caught attempting to recruit someone should be an easy trip to the barbecue. Otherwise, what’s the point of trying to cultivate moral authority and building up a power base if I could just secretly convert everyone instead? What’s the point of bothering to enforce a public religion if there’s no risk practicing a secret one? What’s worse is that pretty much the only way to effectively eradicate one is to join it and force them all to go public, they kill them, or else they will just slip away. Because I remember that day in history class where Ferdinand and Isabella dressed up as jews to secretly infiltrate jewish communities during the Spanish Inquisition in order to eliminate apostates. Currently secret societies are too easy and powerful in the hands of players, too persistent and annoying in the hands of the AI. The constant barbecues remind me of when tournament massacres were still a thing, and half the realm would be killed or maimed for months after beginning a royal tournament. In the meantime, the only thing I can do is turn off the main feature of a paid dlc. At least in Sunset Invasion you can throw those Aztecs back into the sea.

Uh? Secret religions can have you burnt at the stake, it's definately not the same level with satanists which happen to be caught but only occasionally. You also regularly have people actually giving up the society through event (which doesn't seem to be the case for satanists).

I mean, you are the single guy trying to revive a dead religion, it's supposed to be a big thing and a massive challenge. The ultimate religious challenge so to speak. I think it makes total sense that everyone fakes believing in your blasphemy when you demand it.

Trying to grow bigger a secret religion isn't really easy and you face people regularly being burnt or giving up the society through event. Your child seem like they have to be converted too.

Satanists feel much safer in comparison, but the AI doesn't seem to cause a lot of issues with powers. I felt like the negative traits are a pretty big downside too.

Other societes are strong too, monastic societies for exemple are very powerful as a liege, getting all the virtues gives you a good shot at sainthood, everyone love you, you can increase parameters of your children during education and transmit them virtues so one guy can have two generations of virtuous loved rulers.

That said I wouldn't mind a bigger risk of actions. It's a bit like with the intrigue focus where you can attempt 10 times to capture one guy and there is nothing that can be done, you will still travel dressed as a peasant without guards and not expect to be attacked a 11th time lol.

You're conflating two different things in your post: one is secret societies, and the other is secret religious cults which can be turned off in the game rules without also disabling secret societies - they are two separate and very different features. I think most people turn the secret religious cults off because they're super annoying and very hard to get rid of once your realm is infected with one of those. But the bible finding event can also happen if you have Christian neighbors trying to convert you with their court chaplains - it just gives you the option to convert if you want to.

But concerning secret *societies* being OP: you have given yourself a huge buff by turning on supernational events because that turns them on only for yourself. You need to select "supernatural events=everyone" so that those can happen to everyone and not just the player if you want to level the playing field. Yes, societies are powerful and it's almost always better to be in one than not, but they are a game feature and so it's like saying "yes, it's better to have a plot going than not having a plot" - you're just using a game feature vs. not using it. The interesting choice is usually "WHICH secret society do I want to join?", not *if* you want to be in one at all.

But especially satanists actually have quite a few drawbacks and risks and have been nerfed quite a lot since their introduction. Just because you were lucky this one time doesn't mean you'll always be lucky with them. Drawbacks to joining the satanists include:

• You get REALLY bad traits. Ugly, clubfoot, stressed, arbitrary, cruel, lunatic, hunch-backed etc. - everyone will despise you.
  • your demonspawn child may kill your husband/wife and will also be hated by everyone.
  • You cant be a satanist and a hermetic at the same time, and hermetic society is pretty awesome.
  • The ruler you possessed has a good chance of turning insane and randomly murdering everyone around them.
Overall, while they're powerful, secret societies are not terribly OP especially if you unlock their benefits to characters other than yourself in the game options.

Just a technicality: Secret societies are those in which membership is known only to members. Monastic orders, hunting lodges, and the Hermetics are not *secret* societies.

But concerning secret *societies* being OP: you have given yourself a huge buff by turning on supernational events because that turns them on only for yourself.
[...]
Overall, while they're powerful, secret societies are not terribly OP especially if you unlock their benefits to characters other than yourself in the game options.

I think you're confusing things here. The "Supernatural Events" game rule does not affect the demon worshipper societies, only events like eternal life and the like. The only society-related event I could find that is affected by that game rule is the Hermetic event where you get a chance to make protective wards against Tainted Touch (event MNM.5110).

Demon worshipper societies are controlled by the "Devil Worshippers" game rule, which only has two settings: "Default" and "None."

Just a technicality: Secret societies are those in which membership is known only to members. Monastic orders, hunting lodges, and the Hermetics are not *secret* societies.

Yes, the only secret ones are the demon worshipper ones, the secret religious cults, and the assassins. Of those all are also criminal (can be caught by a Court Chaplain hunting heretics) except the assassins.

I think you're confusing things here. The "Supernatural Events" game rule does not affect the demon worshipper societies, only events like eternal life and the like. The only society-related event I could find that is affected by that game rule is the Hermetic event where you get a chance to make protective wards against Tainted Touch (event MNM.5110).

Oh, I was assuming that devil worshipper events also counted as supernatural, but apparently not (which makes no sense). But other secret societies are affected/limited by this game rule, right?

Oh, I was assuming that devil worshipper events also counted as supernatural, but apparently not (which makes no sense). But other secret societies are affected/limited by this game rule, right?

Nah, as I mentioned:

The only society-related event I could find that is affected by that game rule is the Hermetic event where you get a chance to make protective wards against Tainted Touch (event MNM.5110).

To be fair, the BULK of Demon Worshipper stuff doesn't fall under supernatural as such. Kidnapping, desecrating temples, orgies, replacing virtues with vices, corrupting priests, sacrifices. Nasty, but not spooky.

It's the inheritable deformities, Tainted Touch, Possession, Summoning and Demon Child that probably should be toggled with Supernatural. I had thought that the Demon Child event would be excluded as it has its own check for the supernatural events flags... but that appears to only prevent the demon child flags and target being set, which the Demon Worshipper one also does.

(I consider Familiars as an edge case. They're not giving any bonus much more than other pets do)

Oh man, I was super frustrated when I wrote this coming hot off my last game and was just venting. Some interesting points y’all made.
  • Supernatural events pretty much doesn’t affect secret society stuff. I never knew that. I definitely thought that the Satanist healing power and the demon summoning ritual would be “supernatural”. When turned off, those two things really shouldn’t work as well. I also remember during my game when I got cancer and then castrated by my physician, then used satanic healing to uhh...restore manhood.
  • I know that the satanic events can give bad traits and make you crazy, but you can pretty much just not go on the orgies and killing sprees once you are level 3 as accumulating dark power isn’t as necessary. The negative congenital traits are the only real danger, as they could disqualify you for the Imperial office and be passed through your family. Otherwise the normal slew of bad traits are kinda just something you put up with and work around as with any character. I hardly consider them a suitable consequence as I believe as a part of game design, similar results should have similar risks and consequences. Like with the old assassination actions, if I failed my assassination of a foreign leader he could immediately send some after me. If I try to kill someone discretely with secret satanic sacrifice or plague, there should be a chance that I would be caught in the act and face retaliation. Why try to plot assassinations anymore?
  • I did forget that they were two separate rules, but I feel like the same issues apply with both. Especially the curious feature where my secret religion society hung around 90 members. The lowest I was able to make them go was like, 82 before a few months later they just rebounded back to 90. If it were that easy for them to get 8 members, then why wouldn’t they do that all the time? Also the actions for invoking sympathy and recruitment that are available to the level 1 and 2 members basically have no consequences for failure, which allows them to spread easily. So one of my random courtiers just tried to convince me of the plight of some poor heathen children. “Summon my augur! Give me a reason why I shouldn’t barbecue you right now.” I’d like to see that option. Also, why wouldn’t my guards ever catch the fool leaving bibles on my bed? Ultimately, the main issue is that these barbecues never seem to stop because zealous vassals keep hunting and the society keeps magically getting members. Obviously I don’t want my vassals to stop hunting, but I would like to understand the recruitment system better. Though I think it would be cool that if my religion was strong enough, we could create inquisitions involving the priests all over the realm to coordinate their hunting efforts, allowing these cults to be fully exterminated. Of course there could also be nasty events associated with this like them getting it wrong occasionally or accidentally starting a pogrom against local minorities.
Actions must have risks and consequences, powerful actions even more so. The act of trying to keep a heathen religion or demon cult alive under the noses of the authorities should be an interesting challenge that merits the intrigue involved. On the flip side, they should present a serious threat to the temporal powers of the realm that could find themselves overrun if these societies grow too powerful. There should be this constant cat and mouse game between the two. Of course this is an ideal and I am diverging from my main complaints with the how I feel like the secret society recruitment system feels buggy.

I have not determined the exact cause for it, but secret religious cults tend to be so broken once established that I turned them off in my game rules.
OP example might be logically explained (my brain tricked me, disregard that here, meant JuLIAN of course) and make sense in a historical context, but unless you turned them off, a reborn Persian Zoroastrian realm will ultimately be toppled by manicheans.

Best strategy to prevent them from getting strong is to never ask anyone actively for conversion (as this will give the character an event to maintain their old religion in secret, and, should there not be any, will prompt them to also found a society right away).
This can only work so and so well, however, as ultimately vassals will start to ask each other to convert beyond your control, and someone WILL form a secret cult. Hence why I turned them off for good.

I started an 867 game as Strathclyde, conquered Scotland and much of northern England, converted secretly to Catharism, grew a secret cult, my heir stayed Catholic, and the AI character who became the new secret Cathar head was sentenced to death in France and revealed all the Cathars, so now half of my dynasty and a good portion of Scotland was openly Cathar.

Pope called a crusade on Pomerania, my beneficiary won a duchy there, and since I was bored with Scotland, I kept on playing as the beneficiary. He was another secret Cathar (as was the new Queen of Pomerania), he just hadn't joined the society. I remade the society, and Catharism kept spreading throughout Pomerania, France, and Scotland.

A couple things I learned in this playthrough:

• Open Cathars don't know you're a secret Cathar. So, half my dynasty (the open Cathars) hated the other half (the secret Cathars).
  • Membership in a secret society is capped at 90. That means once it's there you'll never be able to recruit a new member, but on the other hand, recruiting a new member usually ends up happening near instantly by AI decision the moment there's an opening. It's probably needed to prevent everyone from eventually joining the society.

:
On the flip side, I had no idea that demanding conversion would almost always make your realm full of secret religion societies. Within a few years, I was being inundated with catholic bibles and Norse sagas. The next thing I know, my heir and half my viceroys are also secret Catholics . . . So I get a hunting. I use spy on to arrest people and plots to kill them. I check back every few years and notice that the member count has not changed! In fact, after arresting and executing a bunch at once, it fills right back up to 90! It’s like they’re automatically spawning members or are able to instantly convert members to fill the rank.
:

The one time I have actually reformed a religion I did it entirely from scratch. I played a random world and started as a OPM count and turned Hellenic after getting an event from a custom mod via Learning focus. I converted in secret then inducted others to my cause, I had read up on secret societies so i started with a few high Diplomacy members of my court. Once they were on board they in turn have a chance to recruit new members so after a slow start the whole thing just snowballed.

My guess is that once you get to 60% filled or above the society will be pretty much impossible to kill as empty places are autofilled as every single member gets a small chance to recruit a new member. Ideally there should be some sort of mechanic whereby if the secret society gets hit really hard there should be a check of remaining members, Craven, Arbitrary and Cynical members might decide the risk of getting burnt at teh stake just wasn't worth it.

:
But especially satanists actually have quite a few drawbacks and risks and have been nerfed quite a lot since their introduction. Just because you were lucky this one time doesn't mean you'll always be lucky with them. Drawbacks to joining the satanists include:
  • You get REALLY bad traits. Ugly, clubfoot, stressed, arbitrary, cruel, lunatic, hunch-backed etc. - everyone will despise you.
:

I did love it when I realised that the game has subtly made us all start thinking like medieval peasants - if I ever encounter an ugly, deformed or lunatic character in game I always keep in the back of my mind that they may also be a secret Satanist, especially if they seem to be doing well despite their infirmity.

On another topic I do love the event chain to join the Satanists. Any time one of my courtiers or vassals starts prattling on about how everything we know about God may actually be a lie I immediately start Swaying and Spying on them while stringing them along, once we get to the last step in the process I reject them then either have them arrested, excommunicated or killed off.

I HATE Satanists !

I started an 867 game as Strathclyde, conquered Scotland and much of northern England, converted secretly to Catharism, grew a secret cult, my heir stayed Catholic, and the AI character who became the new secret Cathar head was sentenced to death in France and revealed all the Cathars, so now half of my dynasty and a good portion of Scotland was openly Cathar.
:

I did NOT know that could happen ! It makes sense though, RL secret societies and insurgency movements are all generally organized in a cellular structure with no one except the top staff knowing just how extensive it is. I always wondered what would happen if the ruler of a secret society got caught and now I know - makes perfect sense to me !

• Open Cathars don't know you're a secret Cathar. So, half my dynasty (the open Cathars) hated the other half (the secret Cathars).
  • Membership in a secret society is capped at 90. That means once it's there you'll never be able to recruit a new member, but on the other hand, recruiting a new member usually ends up happening near instantly by AI decision the moment there's an opening. It's probably needed to prevent everyone from eventually joining the society.

That's fantastic ! I love the idea of secret societies going through purges and schisms. This isn't quite the same but it would be great if PDX added a mechanic whereby if some major event happened to the society or one if its members then the society could split or undergo factional warfare. I for one would think it pretty cool if my secret society of Waldensians suddenly split into a group of Waldensians and a group of Fraticelli. Alternatively, the distinction could be represented by "rite" traits like Ashari / Mutazilite.

I think that’s absurdly arbitrary if that’s how the system currently works. Thanks for the info.
That was my impression too and why I switched the game rule to off, with the notable exception of one game as Byzantine Empire (Count start), however that was after my disastrous experience in Persia, so I knew what to expect, and my plan was to use the society first myself, to create secret hellenes and not have to eat crusades right away.
Granted, with well planning it worked out, as I thankfully had left 24k Praetorians in Rome when decades later no one else than my own brother reveiled the christian secret society and declared independence war.

Arbitrary is the perfect description all in all, though- after all as mentioned the example with a Christian Resistance in a Roman Empire makes total sense, however in comparison, the faction itself was weaker and not that tough to beat, as the High Morale Authority of Hellenism prevented it- I had carefully aquired and secretly converted all Holy Sites and launched giant global raids as soon as I openly converted.
In comparison, Persian (Zoroastrian) games are incredibly hard with secret cults on, as you'll be struck with Low Morale Authority at the start, highly increasing the chance of Heresies to evolve on their own in courtiers' and vassals' minds (along with a cult, of course).
Once you start handing out land as you blob, and increase your MA, it's incredibly likely most existing "zoroastrian" courtiers are secretly heretics already- Zoroastrian barely has 90 characters in the game at any start, so as soon as a heretic cult forms, they're all in sooner or later.

In comparison, Persian (Zoroastrian) games are incredibly hard with secret cults on, as you'll be struck with Low Morale Authority at the start, highly increasing the chance of Heresies to evolve on their own in courtiers' and vassals' minds (along with a cult, of course).
Once you start handing out land as you blob, and increase your MA, it's incredibly likely most existing "zoroastrian" courtiers are secretly heretics already- Zoroastrian barely has 90 characters in the game at any start, so as soon as a heretic cult forms, they're all in sooner or later.

That's largely related to the normal problem of Zoroastrianism quickly turning into a Mazdan heresy, which has always happened. Given that the bulk of the characters are under Muslim rule anyway, there's no overall Zoro orthodoxy to resist it (from a Muslim ruler's point of view, the bickering of fools does not concern him...), and the Karens are not really numerous enough to stop it.

Yeah, I was at that time confused with how hard I was hit. I was building up a realm and suddenly really every last vassal I had turned out manichean. Christians and to an extinct muslims are not as prone to this not as much because of the morale authority, but mostly due to manpower (in characters).
In comparison, in the hellenic game it worked better because once my own society unfolded, all those converting with me got the "True believer" modifier, protecting my first generation of conspirators from easily re-converting, and then resorted fully to either educating heirs or re-deistributing titles, opposed to offer any of my christian vassals conversion directly.

Counter-intuitive is another word coming to my mind here, in hindsight.

I usually leave devil worshipers turned on but secret religious cults turned off. The devil worshipers have been nerfed enough that having one cause problems every so often isn't too big of a deal, unlike the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" apocalypse that secret cults can become.

I only turn on secret religious cults if I plan to play as a minority religion and expand in secret, such as a secretly Jewish vassal within the Arabian Empire.

I usually leave devil worshipers turned on but secret religious cults turned off. The devil worshipers have been nerfed enough that having one cause problems every so often isn't too big of a deal, unlike the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" apocalypse that secret cults can become.

Ha! Invasion of the Body Snatchers was exactly what I was thinking of too. I guess the reason I didn't think too much about it at first was because I previously played a game of Reformed Bon and had to secretly convert to Buddhist at the beginning but later after I took over it wasn't a big deal. It's like everybody was just waiting for the buddhist emperor to die so we could go back to being Bon. I never seemed to have any problems with a subversive cult to this degree.

But with a restored Hellenic Roman Empire is an entirely different story where even after crushing the last independent Christian realms, there are still countless of secret Christians squirreled away as landless courtiers everywhere. As rulers and courts change, these courtiers move around and are all quickly able to coalesce into a powerful secret cult.

Yeah, I was at that time confused with how hard I was hit. I was building up a realm and suddenly really every last vassal I had turned out manichean. Christians and to an extinct muslims are not as prone to this not as much because of the morale authority, but mostly due to manpower (in characters).
In comparison, in the hellenic game it worked better because once my own society unfolded, all those converting with me got the "True believer" modifier, protecting my first generation of conspirators from easily re-converting, and then resorted fully to either educating heirs or re-deistributing titles, opposed to offer any of my christian vassals conversion directly.

This makes a lot of sense now. The sheer weight in numbers was just able to constantly bombard my characters with conversion requests from early on. The top-down approach seems somewhat conducive to developing these secret cults then, as it is usually very impractical to revoke the titles of all my now-heathen vassals so I am forced to demand conversion. Perhaps the more grassroots approach is actually better thanks to those true believers not willing to become secret heathens or heretics.

I think it was mentioned that when characters are forced to convert, they receive an event that allows them to continue worshiping secretly. I know that the normal decision requires only 100 piety. How does this event work instead? It just feels too easy for the low low price of 100 piety, you too and trick your friends that you've actually converted to their misguided faith! It just seems a little unrealistic that they are able to maintain that secrecy for their entire lives and never question it. Like you would think there would be a more significant piety cost or a negative modifier to it to show how theyre basically lying through their teeth every time they pray in public. Additionally, honest, craven, and characters with low intrigue would have a greater chance of either getting caught or giving it up. Ultimately, I still think the crux of all the secret cults should be intrigue related, so it's really weird how the cults can get away with diplomacy.

IMO, the problem with secret religious societies is that they are too easy to form and join. I mean, when I think of someone secretly following a religion, I think of things like heretics and conquered peoples still following the old ways in private while publicly paying lip service to the official religion. I don't think having a realm full of Slavic cultured counties and following a reformed Slavic faith should result in you suddenly finding that 3/4 of the people in your realm are secretly Germanic when they revolt.