I:R comparative performance with other GSG

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good afternoon everybody,

This week there is a decrease of GSG 24h peak players since last week -3,96%, we remain around the 300,000 long trend. PDX down a bit less (-2,21%) than other publishers (-5,07%).

The big news is that HOIV now is the king of GSG surpassing Civ VI.

1712762185563.png

The small caps welcome the new game Millenia among them. Star Trek: Infinite now a classic game after only three months keeps its small base of players while I:R has reached the previous peak, we will see next week if this is a new bottom of player base after the announcement of the near official release of patch 2.0.4 (now in beta) and the upcoming improvements for modders:

1712762269592.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
The big news is that HOIV now is the king of GSG surpassing Civ VI.
That happened temporarily a few times in the past already, but only directly after a HoI4 DLC hit. This time the past free weekend and the sale might have had an impact, but it could also mark a point where discountinued development of Civ6 starts matter more and more. A regular "Challenge of the Month" tries to keep the game visible, but thats just not the same as war effort patches and DLCs. I had tons of fun with Civ6, but I got burned out by its flaws at some point and without any hope to see any fixes for them I don't see myself returning to it. Already the last content in form of "free" (for those owning everything having released before) leaders a while ago didn't really spark my interest again, as almost no patching happened with them.

Reactions:
Good day to everyone,

This week there is a big decrease of 24h GSG players compared to last week (-4,59%), with PDX taking a bigger hit (-8,92%) than other publishers (-1,77%).

The biggest drop is for HOI IV that cannot hold the 1st place against CIV VI even if that game is also falling this week. CK III, Stellaris and Vic3 also lose some players this week. However, nothing that is out of the long term trend for all these games.

1713350686487.png

On the smaller caps, Millenia is reaching the numbers of I:R, a game that neither seems to turn around this week. Age of Wonders 4 is returning fast to the same level of players from last year bottom.

1713351324116.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good afternoon,

This week remains stable compared to last week on overall numbers (+0,49%). Small decrease for PDX (-2,18%) and small increase for other publishers (+2,10%).

Big guns remain stable, with Warhammer III increasing players and CKIII going under CIV V and EU IV.

1713975691839.png

The small index sees players decreases for almost all games except for CK II and I:R. The last one seems to have reached a bottom and is bouncing back, retaining half of the new players. This may confirm an upward trend after all these years.

1713975798103.png

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Good night everyone,

This week Total Warhammer III steals the show. Global numbers are up +16,05% compared to last week with PDX +2,12% and other publishers +24,11%

The release of yesterday's DLC for the game has returned many players to play Warhammer III this week. Also the game has better reviews recently. The other games remain stable, with CK III trending downward and Civ VI and HOI IV bouncing, probably because today is holiday in many countries.

1714594094802.png

The small caps sees Age of Wonders 4 and Millenia still going down, while I:R bounces back nicely after the official release of version 2.0.4. Let's hope that players remain around this level and PDX takes an interest to continue development of the game.

1714594281895.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Is there any point to keep tracking ST: Infinite anymore? Something like Humankind or TW: Rome II seems more relevant to compare with at this point.
I am tracking all games published by PDX to compare their effort with new games and how they fare compared to their core games to make a case for continous development.

TW: Rome II and Humankind are similar games to I:R, I will add them next week, I track all of them since the beggining but they are not shown in the chart.

• 9Like
Reactions:
(...) and HOI IV bouncing, probably because today is holiday in many countries.
Not unlikely that war effort patches having resumed has an impact here as well.

Reactions:
I:R needs to compete with CK2 numbers for PDS to take another serious look at it. Even then, they might only make another maintenance patch.

Reactions:
I'm sad that Millennia looks like a dead game from the viewpoint of "number of players".
But I'm also happy that I:R rising again.
Millenia will benefit from continous development. If there is a good game, players will come back to it. I cannot judge it as I haven't played it.

Reactions:
Millenia will benefit from continous development. If there is a good game, players will come back to it. I cannot judge it as I haven't played it.
I have played the demo while it was available. The game surely has a couple of fresh and good ideas for the 4X department, but it is hard to say if it will get the chance to mature up to its full potential. The personal show-stopper preventing me from getting the full version yet is mainly an UI-related issue (absence of mouse edgescrolling w/o having to have pressed the mouse key - sorry, but for my personal preferences this adds too much workload for relaxed playing), but what I got from reviews, forum posts and Lets Plays there are more rough edges to polish (balance, AI, more UI items). Nothing impossible IMO and the first patches look promising, but the crucial question will be if the player interest meets the requirements for enough future funding of development to achieve that. I hope so and likely see myself contributing my share as soon as my forementioned UI pet peeve is solved, though it feels likely a bit of a bet. Sure, support is kind of guaranteed at least until the already announced DLC have been released...but will that be enough? Time needs to give us a the answer here.

Reactions:
Good morning,

This week numbers are stable for PDX (+0,68%) due to Stellaris expansion and negative for other publishers (-7,65%) with the warhammer III excitment fading away although still very strong. Overall numbers are down this week (-4,96%).

The big games show the decrease on top for Civ VI, Warhammer III and HOI IV and the step increase of Stellaris players numbers this week. We welcome to this chart Total War: Rome II that has a steady playerbase for the last two years similar to that of Victoria 3:

1715155778207.png

The small games show a more stable situation with Age of Wonders 4 marking a low and I:R a peak last week. One difference is that Triumph studios announced last week that Age of Wonders will continue to develop while I:R has no active development save by modders.

We welcome to the chart the game HUMANKIND that has had some peaks due to expansions but currently is under I:R 24h peak player numbers.

Finally, Millenia hasn't reach a bottom yet and we hope the current updates and betas will put the game back on track to dispute CIV VI players for a turn-based 4X game.

1715155903517.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good morning everyone, this week we have a big jump on PDX after the major discount on all their games on steam (+18,14%) while other publishers keep the same decrease trend from last week (-8,73%). Overall the trend is stable (+0,44%).

The big discounts on PDX games like HOI IV, Victoria 3 and others can bee seen in all of them increasing their playerbase this week. On the other hand, Civ VI and Warhammer III push the other publishers down.

1715772299685.png

CK II and specially the newer Age of Wonders 4 benefit the most from the discounts, the other small cap games do not increase their playerbase this week as they have been probably heavily discounted many times before:

1715772543540.png

Reactions: