• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

777nobody

Private
Dec 13, 2023
I was experimenting on how to play as an Pagan country in EU3 in Europe I tried many strategies and this one is what worked best for me and I didn't find a thread like this anywhere so I decided to make one myself to help other people who may not know how to.

1. Start as Teutonic order and fund a missionary in Samogitia which is the only Animist/Pagan province in entire Europe,this will increase the chance of Animist zealots spawning but make sure to put the missionary upkeep to 0% so you don't convert them.

EU3_4.png

2. Declare war on Riga and Annex them, luckily for me Bohemia sent me an alliance request earlier so they didn't jump in to protect them and I took Riga without much trouble.
EU3_5.png

3. After Riga is annexed you should wait for Animist zealots to spawn in Samogitia, I got very lucky and they spawned in less than a year after I took over Riga. If your rebels don't spawn in couple of years I recommend to reload an earlier save, sometimes I had to wait more than a decade for animist rebels to spawn.
EU3_6.png

4. I let the rebels take over Samogitia and Riga, after they took over Riga they automatically converted the province to Animism. Then I killed the Animist rebels and took back the two provinces they conquered.
EU3_7.png

5. I saved the game and rejoined as Novgorod and funded Nationalists in Riga, you can do this with any other nation but I decided to do it with Novgorod.
EU3_8.png

6. The rebels that spawned in Riga were Livonian Rebels, I just let them take over the province
EU3_9.png

7. The rebels will go on and conquer Riga,Memel and Ostpreussen they don't try to conquer any other provinces except for these 3 from my experimenting, after they conquer the 3 provinces they will gain cores on those 3 provinces and begin patrolling them. Let them patrol and don't kill them and wait for a new nation to pop up.
EU3_10.png

8. After waiting for some time Livonian Order will declare independence from you and take 2 provinces, Memel and Riga. They will be at war with you and also be Animist:D!
EU3_11.png

9. I let them conquer a bunch of provinces which they did surprisingly fast, they offered me peace and only wanted 3 provinces but I rejected this peace offer because I wanted to give them more than that;).
EU3_13.png

10. Instead I decided to give them 6 provinces:D. Which may be too much since they will now have 24 infamy, if this is too much infamy you should probably accept their peace offer and give them 3 provinces instead which they demanded.
EU3_14.png

EU3_15.png

11. Enjoy playing as Animist Livonian Order! I assume this is going to be very hard since you are the only Animist country in Europe. Maybe defeat and annex Teutonic Order,try to survive and convert as much of Europe to Paganism as possible! Hope this helped :)!
start.png

EU3_16.png

EU3_17.png

EU3_18.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Possibly a stupid question, but couldn't you just relocate your capital to Samogitia, then select Animism as the national religion, or doesn't it give you that choice?

Possibly a stupid question, but couldn't you just relocate your capital to Samogitia, then select Animism as the national religion, or doesn't it give you that choice?
I don't think that works. To change state religion to Animism like that I'm pretty sure the only way is for you to be an OPM and your single province needs to be Animist and you need to go bankrupt for national religion change to happen.

Last edited:
So I found out something new, I did everything the same in this guide but instead of funding rebels via Novgorod I funded them with The Hansa. This time things went differently for some reason, the Livonian Nationalist rebels conquered all three provinces like when I funded them with Novgorod Riga,Memel,Ostpreussen but instead of declaring independence with Riga and Memel and going to war of revolution against me they just declared independence with Riga only and my nation collapsed and instantly truced with them. So what I did to try to fix the problem was just not let the rebels take Ostpreussen. So maybe I take back what I said in step 7, don't let the nationalist rebels take capital Ostpreussen since that may collapse your nation and you will instantly truce with them,they will declare independence with Riga only and you won't be able to give them more provinces in the peace offer during their war of revolution which won't occur since your nation collapsed and insta truced automatically. So in short if your nation collapses and doesn't get a war of revolution try again but this time don't let rebels take your capital.

Last edited: