• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ShadeThorn

First Lieutenant
39 Badges
May 17, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
AI declares a jihad for yemen. They lost all battles and all provinces they sieged were unsieged. no matter how well the war was going I was always in the red. then 1 province gets sieged. 1 fucking province, and i lose a whole a kingdom.

There is no fear mechanic for overpowering opponents. Check the war details for whatever unintuitive reason the game gives you. Sometimes I feel that the war score should simply be the number of troops plus completed sieges. Another modifier issue they can never fix without freaky stuff happening. I will make a video one day about a beggar I will pull off the streets, make him rich as a king, give him half a country, marry him off to the most beautiful girl in the world and then see what it takes for him to hate you (aka revoke some tiny bit of land).

AI declares a jihad for yemen. They lost all battles and all provinces they sieged were unsieged. no matter how well the war was going I was always in the red. then 1 province gets sieged. 1 fucking province, and i lose a whole a kingdom.

They might have additionaly caught some relatives of you by the siege and thus got bonus points.
A michx0 said above, check the warscore details
How to:
click on the opponent portrait with warscore bottom right.
In the following window hover the mouse over the number below 'Warscore' to see the detailed tooltip.

The only thing that can make it suddenly go from 0 to 100 in 1 battle is if they capture you, or the leader of the war on the opposing side. This will create a 100% warscore regardless in most cases.

Capturing the heir is worth +50% score and other children I think are also worth 5%. So if they capture the heir and 10 more children that would be 100% warscore.

it wasn't a sudden jump in warscore. It started out with me in the red, and no matter how well the war was going, it just kept ticking up.
I had some holdings in Byzantium and Abbassid but those have never affected my war before.
i think I've played about 10 years since that war. would the details still be in the savefile?

There is no fear mechanic for overpowering opponents. Check the war details for whatever unintuitive reason the game gives you. Sometimes I feel that the war score should simply be the number of troops plus completed sieges. Another modifier issue they can never fix without freaky stuff happening. I will make a video one day about a beggar I will pull off the streets, make him rich as a king, give him half a country, marry him off to the most beautiful girl in the world and then see what it takes for him to hate you (aka revoke some tiny bit of land).
Yeah, but I had essentially wiped out the army of the guy declaring the war and he about 30% levy size on me to start. Shouldn't I have gotten warscore those battles?

stupid war cost my dynasty the Imperial crown and broke the empire. I ended up becoming a duke because I lost my elector titles, and the new emperor couldn't fight off two weak sultans, so we lost some more duchies and eventually the lien of succession to some other dynasty.

I recall an Abyssinia game where I was closely aligned with the Byzantines. This meant having to come to their aid every time the Muslims wanted to push into Anatolia. It was a very prolonged war, with the Abyssinian armies having to pull Byzantine butts out of the fire constantly.

That was years ago. But if there's one thing I remember clearly, it's that the Caliph parked some armies on Cyprus, and I couldn't easily get there 1) without boats and 2) while constantly unsieging things for the Greeks in Anatolia. But every time a single Cypriot holding was captured, warscore would plummet into the sub-basements.

I figured it was an aspect of this aggressive war going on for so many years, for holding seizures to generate so much war score. How long was the war in Yemen going for at that point?

I recall an Abyssinia game where I was closely aligned with the Byzantines. This meant having to come to their aid every time the Muslims wanted to push into Anatolia. It was a very prolonged war, with the Abyssinian armies having to pull Byzantine butts out of the fire constantly.

That was years ago. But if there's one thing I remember clearly, it's that the Caliph parked some armies on Cyprus, and I couldn't easily get there 1) without boats and 2) while constantly unsieging things for the Greeks in Anatolia. But every time a single Cypriot holding was captured, warscore would plummet into the sub-basements.

I figured it was an aspect of this aggressive war going on for so many years, for holding seizures to generate so much war score. How long was the war in Yemen going for at that point?
might have been 3 years in. There was about a year of nothing where I lowered my levies. when I saw the warscore ticking from them sieging one province I got so livid. it wasn't a province of any note. had maybe 4 holdings there.

Oh, so it could be a ticking warscore issue? Could it be that crusade type wars benefit from ticking warscore even if a single province is occupied?

There is something about jihads that make them harder to deal with then crusades. At least in my experience. Whenever I play a pagan I eventually have to fight a crusade, but I find those manageable if not a little annoying, but jiahds are something else. Whenever I play as the Eastern Romans I will eventually have a jihad called on me and while I usually win them, they take forever to resolve. They always take ten or more years to beat, winning battles and taking provinces never really seem to generate much in the way of warscore for me, but them taking a proving can set me way back no matter how remote the province. On top of that dealing with all of the participants is a nightmare. You get every little lord jumping on the jihad bandwagon and hitting me everywhere they can. This also gives the jihad a feeling of coming on in waves. It starts out really intense, then I win a whole bunch of battles and then it seems to die down for a bit, then after a few years another big wave of attacks and battles and then it dies down a bit. I keep doing this until I usually grind them down to a point where they will accept white peace, but it's frustrating and I feel like it derails my game.

Sorry to say to the OP that feels pretty typical for jiahds. I don't know if they are just implemented badly or what, but starting in the negative and just not being able to do anything about it doesn't surprise me. In situations like that, where the game isn't making sense no matter how well you're doing, I just open the console and put an end to it.

Crusades, jihads, and great holy wars all use the same CB so by logic they should behave the same. the only difference should be in the structure of the participants.

Crusades, jihads, and great holy wars all use the same CB so by logic they should behave the same. the only difference should be in the structure of the participants.
If you're not actively occupying the war target as an attacker, you'll get a ticking warscore against you, and vice versa if you're the defender.

it wasn't a sudden jump in warscore. It started out with me in the red, and no matter how well the war was going, it just kept ticking up.
I had some holdings in Byzantium and Abbassid but those have never affected my war before.
i think I've played about 10 years since that war. would the details still be in the savefile?

The best reason I can think of with this is that you weren't capturing the intended war target.

If you claim a certain province, county, or title as the war target, everything else will give you miniscule advances. You can take half their realm but if you can't capture and hold your intended war target, the game considers you not winning the war. This can become a real problem if you start losing battles, and your heirs, or family members begin to get captured.

Example scenarios:

* You captured the intended war target and are sitting on it, giving you a ticking warscore in your favor. BUt you're losing alot of battles. However the AI never takes back the county, you eventually win despite losing over half the battles.

* You take over half of the enemy territories, and win most of the battles, over 50%, but you are unable to capture and hold the intended war target, you eventually lose through war score tick going in their favor since you are unable to hold the war target.

* You capture the war target, but are losing the battles, and are slowly losing out to attrition as they continue to take your counties and lands.. You decide to go and capture their vulnerable capital, in the siege you take their capital holding + the wife, and 2 children of the enemy commander, he surrenders and you win.
----------------

War Score in this game isn't like games like Total War, its not about just taking land. It depends on what the war is about, and type. If a war has a specific title as its main focus, you need to capture and hold that. So long as you do that you will win.

and like WomboCombo said:
If you're not actively occupying the war target as an attacker, you'll get a ticking warscore against you, and vice versa if you're the defender.

Considering the "I was always in the red" which in case of war against you means that you either lost battles or lost provinces or have a captured relative
Considering you said that all battle were victories (which is an easy check)
Considering you said that it was not an instant increase.
My bet is on far away land that was sieged and taken ! And then, the last siege removed the defenser bonus because you didn't control Yemen anymore.

Why is that ? During a Jihad, many AI will join the fight, maybe even some in Spain despite the war being for Yemen.
But as Yemen is far away, they settle by taking land closest to them. Thus while you focused on Yemen, you lost land somewhere else.

Because Yemen was secured, you started to earn so warscore as the target fully under your control. This counter balanced the progression on the other side of the map, not enough because you were still in the red.
However, once a siege in the Yemen region is succesful, you lost that warscore because Yemen was not fully under your control anymore. And sadly, it reached 100%.

For any was, when in the red and you don't know why, open the war tab and look at the warscore information. This will help you in the future.

Considering the "I was always in the red" which in case of war against you means that you either lost battles or lost provinces or have a captured relative
Considering you said that all battle were victories (which is an easy check)
Considering you said that it was not an instant increase.
My bet is on far away land that was sieged and taken ! And then, the last siege removed the defenser bonus because you didn't control Yemen anymore.

Why is that ? During a Jihad, many AI will join the fight, maybe even some in Spain despite the war being for Yemen.
But as Yemen is far away, they settle by taking land closest to them. Thus while you focused on Yemen, you lost land somewhere else.

Because Yemen was secured, you started to earn so warscore as the target fully under your control. This counter balanced the progression on the other side of the map, not enough because you were still in the red.
However, once a siege in the Yemen region is succesful, you lost that warscore because Yemen was not fully under your control anymore. And sadly, it reached 100%.

For any was, when in the red and you don't know why, open the war tab and look at the warscore information. This will help you in the future.
it's probably the hostage thing. probably had kids being tutored by the enemy.