• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so 9th C Ethiopia is poorly documented. 9th C west Africa is worse. Still, the game is primarily 1066-14xx, and towards the end of those periods documentation getting better. I don't think expanding the map should be a priority. But adding new cultures to the existing areas is realistic, improves gameplay, and is reasonably easy; dividing "Mali" and "Abyssinia" into multiple kingdoms is realistic, improves gameplay, and is easy (IMO Yemen should be its own kingdom too); splitting the four- and six-county duchies into one-, two-, and three-county duchies would be easy/realistic/improve gameplay. The only thing that's relatively hard would be adding additional provinces. Paradox should add a placeholder for "unknown person" to the history files: we don't know who the wives of the rulers of 867 were but it's a safe bet that those rulers were married. And represent the baqt in some way; I like to simply alter the casus belli file so that holy wars can't be declared by or against Miaphysites. I don't think that's a huge project, and it would make those areas much more interesting to play in.

Would certainly think a Kingdom of Yemen would be good. Although, the history files for Yemen are rather a mess. (Seriously, all are randomly generated characters, not giving me high hopes for the authenticity of the rest of Arabia.) CK2+ does fix up this somewhat (even if not entirely,) even if this is a bit of a shameless self-plug for my addition to the mod.

- pointless wall of text, Pdox will not do this ever.

Seriously? The vast majority of your posts seem to be hostile, if not outright trolling.

The idea is to do the area properly this time, so that Africa is balanced and African nations can actually defend themselves against blobbing.

Afaik the reason the African kingdoms endured was trade. Anti blobbing could be realized by implementing this trade dependency the northern powers had on their suppliers of slaves, gold and salt.

It such an expansion would be made it would be nice if the influential Berber tribes were represented in some way. I will post my former suggestion about how to implement autonomous or semi-autonomous tribes on a provincial level.

Tribes would be present in most low level provinces on the world map at the start. It would be historically accurate (Tribes/Indigenous populations existed in many parts of northern Scandinavia, Russia, Asia and Africa) and it would also make it funnier to play in any of these low level provinces. These would represent people in your province that is currently out of your reach, that is they live independently of your rule. For example other tribes/nomads that currently do not recognize your rule over the land and thus function as an independent barony. One holding expansion could be blocked by the presence of these natives and in order to "unlock" this spot, to be able to build another holding you must deal with this native problem. This could be made in a variety of ways. They could have their own diplomacy button where you could interact with them. You could try to befriend them and assimilate them, ignore them and hope that they vanish in time, or try to drive them off with force. It would also be nice if conquered pagans could become a native force as well so that the county is not entirely conquered just because you took their province (ie. they relocate to another spot in that sparsely populated province you just conquered). The native strength could be measured in their numbers and hostility to the current owner of the province. Another cool feature would be if they could aid you if they like you when the province is under siege or join forces with the aggressor if they hate you.

Also I agree with previous posters that the ability to demand tribute from nearby realms should be implemented. For example you could pay an annual tribute (for prestige loss and other consequences...) to prevent a larger realm from attacking you.

Last edited:
I like the idea of calling it CK2: Heart of Darkness.

Anyways, I know there is some resistance, and I would not even advocate adding a heckload of new counties. Not even the inclusion of Kanem-Bornu is necessary, though I would like it - I think some more room around East and West Africa (similar to the VIET setup) with some more routs through the Sahara would be very nice.

Here are the things that could be tackled apart from adding a very judicious, not over-inflated amount of provinces:

-Navigable Red Sea and Atlantic down to Senegal
-Miaphysite flavour + decisions
-Shia flavour + decisions (after all, big in Egypt and Morocco)
-Shia schools of thought
-West African flavour
-New East African religion + flavour
-Beta Israel/Semien
-Baqt (agreement between Nubia and Egypt not to attack each other, quite wonderfully implemented in PB via province modifiers) - look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baqt
-In the vein of the Baqt, perhaps implementation of tribute payments?
-Republic of Oran

And as this expansion would have quite some Muslim content, the patch to go with it could include a decadence overhaul :)

Absolutely hate the name.

This. This must happen

No more map expansions or extra provinces please. The game is creaking under the sheer weight of all the characters that get generated after only 100 years of play. We already have one useless new sub-continent that has no effect on the rest of the map and is generally very boring and irrelevant to this time period.

Feel free to play France, the HRE or Ireland for the millionth time. Just use an older patch and let the majority of us who want to game to continue to grow have our fun.

Use older versions of the game when it has been vastly improved through patches and DLC's since those versions?

No. I paid for this game and literally every piece of DLC they've brought out so far (and will continue to do so, very likely) and I have as much right to play the new versions, and complain about possible areas of expansion, as you do.

If this game weren't already under serious stress from the sheer amount of characters that get generated even 100 years in to a game - if it were built on some sort of perfect engine where it didn't begin to feel any stress until tens of millions of characters were being computed all at once - then I'd say absolutely go for it. Expand the map to China, include more of Africa, hell bring in America too so we can play as those Aztecs that show up if you have the Sunset DLC enabled.

ALAS! The game is already struggling to cope with the size as it is. I already have to quit most games after 100 to 200 years because it's stuttering like hell and speed 5 feels like speed 2, and that's with an expensive gaming PC.

:Yawn: do you having anything new or constrictive to say? Or are you just going to complain about how outdated and weak your pc is some more?

It is not just outdate rigs that have issues. My own computer is still pretty solid (780ti, i7, 32gig ram) and I'm getting noticeable slowdown after 300 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.