• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unnnhh... Border friction... grunt... uggh...

Started new ironman game as Majaphit, have serious border friction issues right from the beginning, no chance of any alliances or RMs. So, dictates an aggressive military game to form Malaya. Just doesn't seem right. Not even going to play an ironman horde game...

Seriously? Or what do you mean, on monarch death? If not on Monarch death, then again, SERIOUSLY? Like, instant end to union as soon as they dislike you? That's kinda absurd.

Monarch death, as tooltip says.. It was checking the reverse opinion before.

The idea of border friction is that you will NEVER be allied or friend with anyone you share a large border with. Its -5 per basetax you have on their border.

The idea of border friction is that you will NEVER be allied or friend with anyone you share a large border with. Its -5 per basetax you have on their border.

Hey Johan, I think most of the userbase thinks this is too extreme. I set mine from -5 to -1.

But what about Poland and Lithuania, Portugal and Spain, Austria and Poland?

I wish you were reconsider. I really hate the way the game feels currently and I so no reason why neighbors have to be bloody-minded psychopaths. And what does that mean for countries like Portugal and Spain?

Border friction should be the result of contested claims and cores, not some arbitrary "We have a border, therefore I wish to murder you" rule.

Or even a small border of 4 provinces. It's a terrible idea.

I wish you were reconsider. I really hate the way the game feels currently and I so no reason why neighbors have to be bloody-minded psychopaths. And what does that mean for countries like Portugal and Spain?

Border friction should be the result of contested claims and cores, not some arbitrary "We have a border, therefore I wish to murder you" rule.
Aye, this is the medieval and early modern world we are talking about, not murderous tribal hordes or a condominium homeowners' association. There are many reasons to avoid tension with neighboring states, even to the extent of relinquishing claims or territorial adjustments at the price of lost prestige and instability. It is basic diplomacy to secure peace on all borders other than the one on which you wish to be aggressive.

With due respect, that is simply a bad idea then. Not only is it completely ahistoric, but it eliminates many diverse playstyles/choices.

Make it -X per basetax of bordering provinces on which the neighbor has claim or core.

This is a real problem to put in a hotfix. There's a realization that big patches will make old strategies bad (okay, not everyone realizes), but not hotfixes, unless your strategy was an exploit. There's only so many times you can take people's current game and say "you're hosed" before they lose heart, especially with an auto-update system that permits no way of going back.

Is it possible to offer some prior versions of the game as mods? Paradox can't maintain multiple versions, I know, but maybe encourage/allow people to offer some way for those who started a game under one rules set to finish that game. Maybe offer 1.1.3 as a mod "as is", bugs and all. No good for ironman, I know, but it could alleviate some of the frustration.

that's going to be fun if you want to play HRE and get slapped down during elections for having to annex all your neighbours. yeah, one hell of a fun game. Gonna set it to observe and watch the whole HRE start killing each other:)

Bad, bad bad.

Bad idea.

Not acceptable in playability, nor in historical terms.

I mean c'mon. The swiss still exists due to their neighbors, not in spite of. To the point of Switzerland's military being hired as auxilia by both frence and Italian states.

Now, in game, if you have a OPM within your own territory (like salzburg - austria) one better not Vassalize them, as you can never get 190 relations to begin annexation?

The concept of hating thy neighbors is more applicable to a medieval game, You know when the swiss learned to fight, Not this current timeframe. 1490's France keeps it's own standing army after what it learned during the 100 years war. Louie dies after his campaigns in Italy and his successor replaces a standing french army with swiss mercenaries. He doesnt seek to conquer Switzerland, he asks them for help. Right during the start date of this game.

Last edited:

With the new coalition mechanics this also means that your neighbors will automatically be in coalitions against you. With the new war score calculations progress will be incremental. I can see each individually, but is the combination intended?

Now, in game, if you have a OPM within your own territory (like salzburg - austria) one better not Vassalize them, as you can never get 190 relations to begin annexation?
There is no border friction between vassals and their overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.