• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homelands
Chapter Thirty Six: Black and White
Part 3

Prelude:
By 1325 the massive fortress that dominates much of Memelgrád's skyline to the modern day was finished. Built outside of the city proper, overlooking the city built on a massive man-made hill. It became the highest point in the region and was build for the expressed purpose of making Memelgrád feel like it was always being watched over. King Vishly sparred no time in quickly moving himself and his court to the new fortress, which he dubbed "Castle Vishly". The main entrance room, was dominated by a massive portrait of the King, said to be many times the height of the man it depicted from the waist up. It stood across from the main entrance way, ensuring that the first thing a visitor would see would be the scowling face of the ruler of Christian Europe. Architects remarked that the palace was so large, with its weaving corridors and a myriad of rooms, baths, courts, thrones, studies, libraries, chapels and even a mini forest in the courtyard that it was a Kingdom in and of itself. In fact, Vishly did add the title "Ruler of Castle Vishly" onto his titles, though it was on a list reserved for only the most gloating of letters to foreign Kings. The fortress was designed to be self sufficient, its main weakness being its lack of a fresh water source. The old palace, which was on the banks of a river, just diverted some of the water, Castle Vishly used massive cisterns, filled in part by rain water, but also by a long aqueduct from the highlands farther inland. The cisterns, only partially explored today, are estimated to hold over 100,000 cubic meters of water when fully filled.

November 2nd, 1325

Nigul and Gunvald passed under the massive shadow of Castle Vishly. They brought a small entourage of guards, servants and entertainers on the way to a celebratory dinner in the honor of the King. Many were surprised that Gunvald had been invited at all, but as the Duke of Courland-Livonia, it would have been strange if he had not been. The slopes of the man-made hill were bare, covered only in a smattering of grasses, but largely just a barren dirt waste. Gunvald looked over its features as he passed. His face was covered with the first growth of a beard, making him look more distinguished and well travelled. His personal carriage flew a sky blue and gold banner, a flag that had long represented the northern lands around Riga.

GunvaldFlag.png

The banner of Courland-Livonia.

In the main entrance room, Gunvald mingled with some of the other nobles, many he had never seen before, likely peddlers of his father's beliefs. Also present was Butovit and some of their other brothers. Doyvát was among them, a year younger than Butovit, and one who had maintained constant contact with Gunvald these many years. Marshal Árás was there, he welcomed Gunvald with a firm handshake and a smile, commenting that it was an honor for the Duke to risk himself to show up. Gunvald brushed it off as simple duty, and that his father would not risk his death here, especially when it would have been easier to do so when he was not under the watchful eye of so many nobles. The young Duke noted the Marshal's kindness, he might make an important ally in the future. But Gunvald's biggest ally was his brother Doyvát. He was his eyes and ears in the court.

"It has been a long time, brother!" Doyvát said, embracing his brother. The boy, only twelve years old, was earnestly glad to see his eldest brother, to be free of the taunting of Butovit even if only for a short while.

"I-i am s-sorry I could-dn't return s-sooner."

"There is little you could do about that brother, Árás is right though, it was rather brave for you to show yourself around here. Father and Butovit are not happy with what you've been up to!" Doyvát's face showed a deep and earnest sympathy and worry that moved Gunvald.

"A r-risk that must be t-taken. Th-there is much for N-nigul and I t-to do, th-th-is is the start." Gunvald patted his brother on the back. He noticed that they were under the watchful gaze of Butovit and Kalev, another one of his brothers. Butovit sneered and ran his finger across his neck and then chuckled.

"Ignore him, young Duke," Árás said, quietly. He placed his hand on Gunvald's shoulder. "You and the other Dukes have been summoned to the main chamber to begin the opening ceremonies." He led Gunvald and Nigul up the stairs into a larger second chamber whose massive vaulted ceilings were tall enough to hold a church steeple. At the far end was Vishly's throne, gleaming as if made of solid gold. Vishly sat on a plush black pillow and was adorned with his crown and scepter. Next to him sat Ziedás, just as imposing as her husband, though she was much fatter then Gunvald remembered. Years of gluttony were catching up to her. He pudgy face permanently set in a scowl as she watched the nobles of the Empire file in. Árás took his place near the front and the others just milled around as they had outside. Eventually Baron Georgs called everyone's attention to the front.

By now Gunvald was surrounded by a small throng of supporters, one of which whispered "sniveling brown noser" and crossed his arms as he quieted himself to be addressed.

"I am glad to see so many of you here," Georgs started, "Once again the might and force of our Lord, King Vishly of the Prussians, has brought upon this world a great piece of architecture and military power that will forever protect Memelgrád from any and all attacks. We owe him, once again, for protecting our Kingdom and our very way of life from the forces of ruin: Islam, democracy, and the vices of the Fraternal organizations who wish for the end of everything that makes our Empire the strongest on the face of God's creation!"

The crowd remained mostly unmoved, it was the same speech given at any calling these days. But they were afraid to do anything but applaud. Gunvald gave a slow, light clap, only a show rather than any real commitment or agreement with his father's accomplishments. His mother looked at him, and for an instant he could feel his heart beating faster and faster. He then had the suddenly dreadful feeling of doom, a feeling that lingered with him the rest of the day. But some part of him then knew that he would be spending many years in this building not as a ruler, but as a hostage and prisoner.

"What is it, brother?" Doyvát asked.

"N-nothing... j-just heart burn..." Gunvald lied, quietly.

They watched together as Vishly stood upright. He too was showing signs of inactivity and gluttony. Raising his sword he declared, "Today, for the rest of eternity, Prussia will NEVER fall to a foreign power, and my descendents will FOREVER hold this castle. This fortress, this MONUMENT, will forever testify to my greatness, and to the greatness of the Prussian Empire which stretches from the Baltic to the Black, from the White to the Adriatic. We will never perish off of this Earth, and we will never give into the rebellious forces of usurpers, of thieves, of the laymen or of the anarchic rabble of Fraternalism. The monarchy of the House Hwicce will last for ETERNITY! A never ending line, pure in our Prussian blood."

The applause returned, led by Georgs and dutifully followed by all in the room but Ziedás and Butovit. It was a terrible play and everyone there had a part. But Gunvald could see the pieces falling into place. He was the hero, his father the villian, Georgs the sidekick, and Árás the tragic figure torn between the two. But Gunvald tried not to get hopeful, this was not some play, this was real life and the hero didn't always win in real life. He saw that now. Sometimes they did, but very rarely.

After the play was over, Nigul and Gunvald left the city. But they left heading south, Nigul was silent on the decision, but eventually Gunvald made him speak for his actions. "We are headed into the Carpathians, there are some people I must speak with, friends of mine... brothers of a sort."

They better not plan against the lawful sovereign of Prussia. :p
A enemy never within the gates of Castle Vishly?
If this is a megacampaign, that sounds fun. :D
Victorian rebels will crush your dream...:cool:

They already have, or in reality they have fulfilled it. ;)

You have played until when?
Very nice update, as always. It seems that Gunvald is going to seek help of the Knights... How long has it been since the guard went into hiding?

You have played until when?
Very nice update, as always. It seems that Gunvald is going to seek help of the Knights... How long has it been since the guard went into hiding?

Sharp knife, this one. A while, the war ended in 1317, so it will be 9 years in 1326 that the Guard has been lying low.

I've actually finished playing. I have notes until 2012, not that it is the end of the world, but it actually ends with the World Cup (out of sync by 2 years from the real world).

Also, for CK readers, Bastions is updating again!

Sharp knife, this one. A while, the war ended in 1317, so it will be 9 years in 1326 that the Guard has been lying low.

I've actually finished playing. I have notes until 2012, not that it is the end of the world, but it actually ends with the World Cup (out of sync by 2 years from the real world).

That must be a lot of notes, like a door stopper.
Also, 9 years? It seems like its been so long...

That must be a lot of notes, like a door stopper.
Also, 9 years? It seems like its been so long...

Mostly because I've been updating so damn slowly.

Actually, here is the stack, they are rather spartan and usually up for changes, as the second picture shows... I've completely subtracted characters and subplots for new ones. The recent civil war was made up, actually had some other things going on... but this seemed more fun.

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

Yes, there were four "Impalings", and one "Entrapment", I was just organizing Vishly's brutal reign.

One final thing... Were those actual events, or flavour narrative?

I'll really really stop now.

One final thing... Were those actual events, or flavour narrative?

I'll really really stop now.

A combination. Somethings are event based, others (especially in the last packet) are completely "flavour" in that I made them up. I had a clear path I wanted to walk after EU3, so I actually wrote the notes by hand from my own ideas.

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Six: Black and White
Part 4

Prelude:
After Gunvald's visit to Memelgrád the impalings began anew. This was known as the notorious "Third Impaling", which would last from 1327 until 1335, longer than the first two rounds combined. Amongst the dead were Marshal Árás Kæstótis and General Juhán Ramondssun, found guilty of Fraternalistic sympathies and consorting with the enemy. These new purges left many holes and were aimed at old supporters of Fraternalism and vocal supporters of Gunvald's claim to the throne upon Vishly's death. But as to be expected in such circumstances, the purges bolstered the Fraternal and Gunvaldian numbers while merely forcing them underground with their plots and meetings. In that time, Nigul and Gunvald travelled to the Carpathian Mountains where they met the remaining Guardsmen. By 1327 the Guardsmen had grown, slightly, from the handful of survivors to a stable two hundred men. It was nothing compared to their older numbers, but it was a start. And now with official support from Nigul (a Guardsmen himself) and patronage from Duke Gunvald, they were able to relocate to Æstlinn as the Knights of Estonia. But much of what made the Guardsmen Guardsmen had to be cut, they remained a religious order, but more emphasis was put on chivalry over religiosity. They were also allowed to be wed, and none took the vow of silence. But the discipline and organization remained. The Knights of Estonia would once again become a force to be reckoned with.

Aras.png

The Death of Árás Kæstótis.

June 15th, 1327

Gunvald held the hands of Viba Hadad, a descendent of Yusuf Hadad, master cannon maker. She was to be his bride as her father was the only noble willing to support a union with the so-called rebel son. But that is not to say that their relationship was without love and respect. Viba was a noted polyglot, and her family was fabulously rich from the production and sale of cannons and other forged weapons. But like any noble in the north she was mostly a Leofricson through and through. On her mother's side she was a descendent of King Kiten and his first wife Rasa, through a daughter. On her father's side she was a mixing of Istimari and Prussian. So she looked no different than any other Prussian woman. The wedding was short, it was mostly a political affair, meant to help unite Northern traders as well as cement Gunvald's own lineage.

However, the two were not displeased with the arrangements. Gunvald found Viba to be a suitable voice, the social aspect of the couple, while Gunvald's fickle spending and calm attitude helped him move up in the very political world of trade and crafting. The two fit each other very well, filling in the pieces the other lacked; unlike Vishly and Ziedás. The marriage also cemented the merger of Nigul's own shipping business with Viba's father's. The partnership would prove hugely successful, and the earnings were partially being siphoned off to fund the Knights of Estonia. The Hadad clan had strong feelings against Vishly, who used their ancestry to throw them out of court, and to revoke their titles. However, these were quickly restored in Courland-Livonia, where they served Gunvald instead.

Meanwhile, Vishly crowned Butovit Prince of Prussia in an act aimed at further cementing Butovit, but also aimed at overshadowing Gunvald's marriage. In the main cathedral of Memelgrád Butovit accepted the crown of the Principality, which by this point had shrunk into a tiny and insubstantial plot of land, with no real value other than the hopes of inheriting the Empire. But with the purges in full swing again, attendance was mandatory if you were unlucky enough to be invited. The coronation was filled with Vishly and Butovit giving speeches condemning hundreds of nobles to their deaths, and in a church sponsored act allowed for violence against religious minorities. Once again Prussia's native Jewish population was under fire from the top. With Christianity reduced to Orthodoxy and a few splinter groups spread around the continent, the Prussian clergy wanted to ensure that they who would reign supreme over their rivals in Constantinople.

But many rulers were uninterested in helping Vishly's purges. It was not uncommon for those condemned to death to just simply disappear. Jews were often protected by sympathetic nobles or neighbors, usually without the Church finding out. And all the while Vishly's hatred for Gunvald increased, though the boy had done nothing to actually cause any of the current issues facing Prussia. Instead his existence emboldened Fraternalists to resist Vishly's rule. But the biggest failure of Vishly's purges and police forces was human nature. Death Knights and other enforcers of the purges were human and not above simple bribery. By 1330 there were presumably some three or four thousand perfectly healthy people who had been declared dead by the Death Knights alone. The whole system was failing and it seemed Vishly's house of cards was shaking. Something would have to give sooner or later, and Vishly looked for all ways to lengthen his own time or ensure that the cards fell in his favor.

The first thing Vishly looked for were enemies in his own home. His attention turned toward Doyvát, his son who had such a strong affection for Gunvald. The boy was accused, by his father, of practicing the "Dark Arts", such as black magic, to try to get a hold of the crown for his eldest brother. Doyvát, who at the time was not even legally a man, could do nothing to fight the charges. Even his brother, Gunvald was almost powerless against the corrupt and purely theological courts. By the end of summer, the so-called trials were over and Doyvát joined the ranks of those left dead in the wake of Vishly's purges. The death of his brother hit Gunvald very hard, who took a month out of his own life to mourn and reflect on this turn of events. It also left Gunvald without eyes and ears in Memelgrád, a very weak position when he knew his father's own spies were everywhere within his own court.

The next move was to seemingly cut Gunvald off at the source, his source of income that is. The King sent assassins against Nigul, the merchant and adoptive father of the young Duke was slain at the hands of his assailants, and left to bleed out in the streets of Æstlinn. Gunvald, the sole successor to Nigul, inherited his fortune, his lands, his estates and his company. Though Gunvald was left miserable, with on the shoulder of his recent wife to rest his head on, he was empowered. He was no longer Nigul's student, it was he who was in charge, the the deaths of Nigul and Doyvát brought more people to his side.

Vishly, seeing that his moves were not having the desired effect, went into a rage, throwing himself whole-heartedly into the purges, killing hundreds if not thousands of men, women and children; many guilty of no crime other than being in the way, or being at the wrong place at the wrong time. The Third Impaling is often called the Virgin Impaling. So many of its victims were nothing more than servants or children who happened to be happy when Vishly was upset. Public outcry fell on deaf ears. There was no one who could stop Vishly, no priest to run to; no guard with a superior to warn. The disease ran from the top to the bottom and all of Prussia paid the price for it. Castle Vishly filled with the ghosts of the innocent. Its walls were said to seep blood during the night, the halls would moan with the voices of the purged. The sun set on Memelgrád and never seemed to want to rise again. The city suffered the worst. Trade was chased away, diplomats no longer wanted to risk their own lives to speak with the King. And all of Europe seemed to slowly shuffle away from the sadistic killer that sat blood-drenched in the middle of the room.

Jeez. Now I have two unread updates... :/

I'll try to catch up tommorow.

I'm sorry? If I can get through math, car design and dnd in a short enough time frame I can have another one up today or tomorrow. Maybe even a bastion update or two as well.

But for now computational fluid dynamics.

Awesome updates.

Ziedas kinda reminds me of Catherine of Russia in her looks. Not like I ever saw her, but being beautifull while young and turning into a walrus later reminds me of her...

Anyways, I presume Gunvald will probably tear castle Vishly down after he takes power? Or will it be abandoned and left there?

Awesome updates.

Ziedas kinda reminds me of Catherine of Russia in her looks. Not like I ever saw her, but being beautifull while young and turning into a walrus later reminds me of her...

Anyways, I presume Gunvald will probably tear castle Vishly down after he takes power? Or will it be abandoned and left there?

Actually, I picture Ziedás being much like Cathrine the Great as well.

Castle Vishly is mentioned in one of the updates as having survived to the modern day, so maybe he abandons it, maybe it is not. Time will tell.