• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Catched up again!

Well, I'm definitely not fond of pyrotechnic effects in books - or AARs. :(

OTOH, I really loved your delicate craft at describing the dragon coming to life. And as others already said, Franck using this brand new lighter was really fun too. I also liked the way he solved the situation without an escalation in special effects: simple and efficient. Well, now that i think about it, RL has known some pyrotechnics in the process :p .

I have ambivalent feelings regarding your deadline. I'll be sad not to have updates waiting for me from time to time. But OTOH, I know of too many good books or comics that progressively become untasty, uninspired and plain boring while their author don't realize when it's time to put an end... So if you think it's time then it's probably better to stop. Yeah, probably...

:(

Oh, I'll almost forget: HAPPY NEW YEAR the all of you! :D

Let me be clear - I don't intend to stop, I intend to finish. And the deadline is mostly for my sake - if it takes a little longer, that's not an issue for me. I just need a deadline to get myself moving.

I'm writing a Railroad Tycoon AAR at the site described in my sig.

And I just got Victoria, and I have a great idea for an AAR for that game.

Oh, there's one more AAR I want to do for EU2 that just has to be set in HistoryPark.

So the future is pretty busy... I just need to get this one rolling again, first.

Last edited:
Whoa! More good reading on the way, it seems... And another History Park AAR sounds great. I've heard their Zimbabwean Ruins attraction is awesome, at least once the visitor has waited about a hundred years to pierce the Terra Incognito...

Director said:
Let me be clear - I don't intend to stop, I intend to finish. And the deadline is mostly for my sake - if it takes a little longer, that's not an issue for me. I just need a deadline to get myself moving.

I'm writing a Railroad Tycoon AAR here.

And I just got Victoria, and I have a great idea for an AAR for that game.

Oh, there's one more AAR I want to do for EU2 that just has to be set in HistoryPark.

So the future is pretty busy... I just need to get this one rolling again, first.

I don't know what to say...
:D :) :p seems appropriate. ;)

Oh, BTW I realize that the tone of my last post might appear a little harsh. That was not the case: I was truely delighted to come back on the forum and read your updates. As silly as it might sound, being here is all the more pleasent when RL is a bitch.

Your casual enumeration of all the ideas that are brewing in your head (AAR-wise, that is), make for almost better reading than one of your updates (almost. It's not quite the same)!

It's great to hear there'll be things to look forward to beyond the finale of Here There Be Dragons. :)

I'm normally not much of a trains person, but I probably will have to go and check out your latest creation. Thanks for the link, it'll make it a whole lot easier to find it for lazy types such as myself. :p

Looking forward to what the future will bring.

-Stu-

Wealth of Nations – Adam Smith

Hitchcock looked around the room. It was a pleasant room, although a simple one. The floor was tiled in slate, the walls plastered in a warm creamy white. The desk before him was a rich brown wood, glossily waxed; the lamp that sat upon it was unlit, unwanted in the warm, strong sunlight that poured through the open, unglassed windows. He felt as dull and incurious as though he were waking from a deep sleep. The room was quiet save for a distant sound of voices and a sighing of wind at the window.

The man across the desk – it was obviously his desk because his chair fitted underneath it and the window was at his back – was busily stuying a packet of papers, so there wasn’t any need to do anything at the moment, Hitchcock thought. He looked over to his right and recognized John and Sue despite the odd clothes they wore: colorful linen shirts with an over-tunic of embroidered fabric that buttoned up the front, loose trousers and soft shoes. Each had a wide-brimmed black hat with a tall, bell-like crown in hand. He spared a glance at his own arms and saw he was dressed much the same.

“Oho, General!” The man behind the desk rose and clutched a paper in one hand, a monocle in the other. “This is very interesting. Very interesting indeed! I believe I should fetch the Master. If you will excuse me? Yes. I will have servants see to your men and to yourself. Oh, my yes. I’ll only be a moment!” He hurried around the desk and out the door, closing it carefully behind him.

“I feel like I’m asleep and trying to wake up,” Hitchcock said, and the other two nodded. “I’ve not the faintest idea what’s going on here, save we brought some good news. That and they think Sue’s a man and we’d best not disabuse them.”

John nodded slowly. “We’ve been in Croatia… in Zagreb,” he said, voice more strong and sure with each word. “A diplomatic mission.” Hitchcock felt the cotton wool that muffled his thoughts beginning to thin. “Yes. Um, Drascovic – the Drascovic family – that’s who we spoke to, I’m sure.”

The memories were dim, more like a memory of a historical text read long ago. The facts were there, but no images or clear details. He could remember his life outside this place much more clearly, but the sharp immediacy of his present surroundings told him this might be an illusion but was no dream. He looked at the dustmotes dancing in the sunlight, reached out a hand and rapped softly on the solid desktop. This was Virtual Reality – had to be – but it was real to every sense and muscle, in every way that mattered.

A sound in the corridor of hurrying feet brought them all up sharp. “Let’s not let them split us up before we get our story straight,” Hitchcock said. Before any other words could be spoken, the door opened and two men stepped in – one, their former host and the other a stranger. Hitchcock rose automatically to his feet and the others followed his lead: the stranger had the strong presence of one well used to command.

“General Heinrich is recently returned from Croatia, Count, as I’m sure you’ve heard. General, you know Warmaster Count Vlad, I’m sure. Warmaster, have you met General Heinrich?”

Vlad smiled and clasped forearms with Hitchcock. “We served together before Vienna in the last war, Heinrich, and I remember you well though it was twenty years ago. You’ve been abroad for some years now, and I understand you’ve done some valuable work. Let us make ourselves comfortable and we can share news with each other. Good Marin, refreshements please for the General and his men!”

Marin – yes, that was his name, of course it was – chirped something about lazy servants and pattered back into the hall. At a motion from the Warmaster, they began moving chairs around a low table, leaving the desk isolated against the wall. Hitchcock took the moment to study Vlad, covertly. He was older now that he had been when Hitchcock was on the other side of the game – fully mature, tall and rail-thin with hair going gray and faint wrinkles traced in his face.

“The new port is finished, Heinrich. Have you seen it? No? Ah, you must! We used the labor of four legions, cleared away all the tumbledown and rubble of the old Empire. It is a marvel, and becoming quite popular with merchants from overseas! My own traders are staying more to home these days, too. Warehouse space is already tight and the city markets are busier than they’ve ever been. Most of the new trade has come here from Genoa and Venice, so the Italians are furious… Excellent engineering practice for the troops and officers, I must say. We rotated through as many as we could, to try to spread the experience around.”

Servitors bustled in with silver trays of food, followed by a scribe who took up station at the desk. Hitchcock didn’t recognize anything except a small pastry that looked like baklava, but he took a sampling of the selection: something wrapped in a leaf – a grape leaf – and a tiny meat-filled pastry that was searingly hot. Fortunately there was ale, and wine, and tea with mint.

“The Emperor is well, and so is the rest of the royal family. Prince Mihnea is in the Academy now, just reported last year – sprouted up like a weed, that boy. He’s already taller than his father. We’re restructuring the legions again, have you heard? Oh, we finally got the armory turning out respectable numbers of firearms. We tried the Austrian formation – you know, all those pikes in a block with guns at the corners? But it doesn’t suit – too hard to maneuver. We’re intending to set a 2-to-1 ratio of pike to shot, starting with the army in Hungary, and Count Aron of the Melissinos is writing up a drill manual. Developed a decent cannon, too; casting those up in Bulgaria.” He leaned forward slightly, face intent. “But please… Marin tells me you have great news… let me hear it from you!”

Unconsciously Hitch let his voice settle into the smooth cadence of an officer delivering a briefing. “Sir. We departed for the west on instructions from the Chancellor…” Vlad waved an acknowledgement. “Yes. He’s not able to attend this afternoon, but I promise you he will receive your report. Doubtless you’ll be asked to speak to him separately, and possibly his Majesty if his time permits… do go on.”

The scribe at the desk had paused until Hitchcock began to speak again. “We traveled first to Venice, and spoke there with the banker who acts as liason for the Duke of Bavaria. I must report we were given to understand there would be no interest in an alliance from that quarter, and the Doge’s men were frankly testy. We journeyed on then to Zagreb. The Croats – well, the Draskovic family more or less rules there, sir. They take turns passing it around, so to speak – but as it were, the Croats had just let their alliance with Spain and Naples lapse, and they were delighted to see us. We’ve treated the Serbs well, and the Drascovics know that, and a treaty with us and the Serbs would calm down that border. Anyway, as months went on with never a messenger from Spain or Naples, the Drascovics got more and more nervous… I was at my wits end of what to say so I decided to try plain old fiscal persuasion. I sent my man down to Venice and paid off old Grigori Draskovic’s gambling debts. And what do you know! They signed on to the alliance!”

Vlad settled back, sipped from his cup and exhaled a long, slow breath. “That complicates our border with Austria a bit, but it gains us another army and a potential vassal to equal Serbia. Well done, Heinrich! Well done, indeed! We may need that ally, and soon. Austria has made no secret of her intent to wrest Hungary from us, and the reports from the frontier are disquieting. I’ll suggest to the Chancellor that we send an ambassador for a permanent presence, perhaps open the question of a marriage.”

“Oh, but that’s not the half of it, sir.” Hitch took a long, appreciative drink. Even if his taste buds weren’t working quite right, it was fine ale. His mind had cleared and he knew just what his lines should be. “You say the Austrians have set their cap for us, and that’s true – they hate us and make no secret of it. But all their plans have gone awry and there’s no mistaking it. They put great store by their alliance with the Pope in Rome, sir, as well you know. And the Pope has decided he doesn’t want Austria to go campaigning in Hungary; he wants some help in Italy instead. So the Pope declared war on Siena this past month and dragged Austria and Genoa along, cursing and kicking. But Siena has some friends too, you see, and they have called on Naples. And then Naples called on Spain… So you see sir, I think it will be some years before the Austrians can spare a glance for us!”

Vlad sat back in his chair and rubbed his nose thoughtfully. “One of my captains came in from Spain last week and said the crown had begun making preparations for war but he didn’t know who the enemy would be. Sounds like Spain and Naples asked Croatia to stand with them against Austria and the Drascovics held out for more money… and found no-one would pay them and had to come to us.” He shook his head. “We could make use of this if we could be certain it was so. Is there any proof, or only rumor?”

Hitchcock motioned to the secretary. “There is a proclamation from the Pope, printed up in Latin, German and Italian, in that packet. It’s on thick paper, has a printed copy of the seal… yes, that’s the one.” The scribe handed the printed sheet to Vlad, who studied it carefully.

“Yes,” he said at last. “Gregory always was in good favor with the Spanish King. Must have thought he could snap up Siena without a war. Seems the old dragon miscalculated, on that at least.”

“Dragon!” Hitchcock blurted.

“Why, yes.” Vlad turned the paper around to didplay the woodcut of the Papal coat of arms. “He got his nickname when he was a Cardinal – the Dragon, they call him.”

gre13juv.jpg

“Saved by the Dragon,” Hitchcock said, slowly.

“Oh, I doubt he meant to do us a good turn, save by doing himself a better one. This Pope has no love for Protestants or Heretics and he considers us both. But he has done us a good turn, right enough… His Majesty has long wanted a free hand to settle with the Turks. The old Chancellor, Delos, was carrying on a correspondence with the Vatican for years, suggesting some sort of joint action. The Popes have always declined… I wonder if this is a tacit approval?”

Hitchcock sensed it was a rhetorical question and said nothing.

“Well! This will certainly start things moving! You’ll be at your villa if we need you? I suspect there will be a busy time ahead of us, yes. Thank you General – thank you twice over, for our new alliance and for this glorious news! His Majesty will be most pleased!”

Very nice update, Director. I appreciate the way you used that conference between Hitchcock and the Warmaster to bring us readers back to where things stood in the New Roman Empire of Wallachia. It was interesting how Hitchcock morphed from confused to confident as he delivered his report. For his sake it was a good thing he had only good news to report!

Nice to see Siena helping to solve your problems with Austria. :)

Edit: One thing, though -- what does this update have to do with Adam Smith? :confused:

Valdemar - blame AOL. They said there was a technical issue, which appears now to be solved.

Good to see you too!

jwolf - I said long ago that when my mercantile/free trade slider was pushed over far enough I would give the Empire the CoT that the Turks get automatically. So I did!

'Wealth of Nations' plus “The new port is finished, Heinrich." means 'I have a CoT in Thrace! A great, big, whopping 300d CoT! Yipppeeee! Oh wait I'm still broke.'

The two biggest CoT's I can see right now are Thrace (300, grown now to almost 400) and Spain (almost 500).

We'll be in Wallachia (The Empire of Romania) about half the time from here on out.

The bit with the Pope is completely true. Austria made peace with Denmark and Norway (!) and I was, um, concerned. Then the Pope took matters into his own hands and let me off the hook. Thinking to work this into the story, imagine my surprise when I did the research and found his nickname and coat of arms! Seems there's something on my computer that causes dragons to crop up...

God bless the CoT!!

Hitchcock should be on familiar ground inside the VR. It will be interesting to see how John and Sue deal with life in Wallachia.

And good on the Pope for helping out, but I'm still curious how you plan on tying both dragons together. String? ;)

It’s been some time since last we were ‘in game’ and I forgot about Austria being determined to attack you. Very nice touch with the ‘dragon’ but I don’t know how much to read into it, which I suppose is what you wanted. :)

Joe

coz1 said:
God bless the CoT!!

Hitchcock should be on familiar ground inside the VR. It will be interesting to see how John and Sue deal with life in Wallachia.
Ah, good question. Is really Hitch familiar with VR? We know that he's played the game extensively and that he's been an actor for the Park, but is he also a veterant of VR? If he's, then I wonder: is this VR experience "normal" or a little tweaked by Frank? I ask because Hitch seems a little surprised by his sensations:
This was Virtual Reality – had to be – but it was real to every sense and muscle, in every way that mattered.

Let's hope that your plans go well for your picnic with the Turcs. I've often tried to attack a medium sized opponent while the big badasses were fighting each others, but their fight are sometimes shorter than expected. Very unpleasent :eek:o . The funny thing is that last time this happen to me, I was playing the Turcs with Wallachia as my most reliable ally and the big badasses were the big white blob, Spain and Poland (a big fat Poland in that game).

Somewhere that isn’t

If you were able to see it, which you could not as there is nothing there, you would see a room. This room would have walls of rough-cut stone blocks streaked with mold and niter, a floor of old brick crumbling in the damp, an indeterminate ceiling lost in the vagaries of the lighting. This illumination is weak and yet harsh, dimly lighting some surfaces and leaving others in unrelieved shadow. In the center of this room would be a table shaped to human form with wide, thick straps, and on the table would lie the body of a man securely strapped, even to the large rests that cradle his head as the jaws of a vise. The walls – which don’t exist, and cannot be seen – are draped with odd pipes and thick electrical cables stapled to the stone with iron spikes. Never mind the substance, or lack thereof; the atmosphere is what matters here.

The corners are very dark. The only sound, which we have established you could not really be hearing, is a low buzzing.

A man enters from one of the dark corners, which must therefore contain a door, but you will never know for certain. He is dressed in a crisp white lab coat, one hand nonchalantly in his pocket. Coarse black hair, dead white skin, white coat, black pants: he is Frank, never mind his skin has lost its sickly greenish pallor.

“Well, brother!” he says with forced cheer. “Surely you will reconsider! What I’m asking is not, after all, so very much compared to what you will lose!”

Joe makes as if to shake his head but it is bound and cannot move. “What is it that you feel?” he asks, and the question catches Frank completely by surprise. “What?” he says, then sees where Joe is looking. “Oh, this?” He reaches around with one big arm and strokes the serpentine head as it rises up from his collar. “The perfect focus of concentration in a tornado of white noise. Stripping down every system for maximum efficiency and speed and then dancing on the edge of disaster with every safety shut down…”

“An ecstasy of pain,” Joe whispers. Frank considers for a moment and then nods. “A very human sentiment, but it does have some merit.”

Frank stretches out his arm and pulls in a multi-level rolling trolley laden with a mix of stainless surgical instruments and crusty iron implements. “Well then brother! Let us begin.” He lifts a power saw with a rotary blade no larger than a bottle cap. “We’ll just have that head open and do some poking around, shall we!”

“I don’t know what it is you want,” Joe murmurs.

“No games, now. I want the code.”

“I don’t have it. I locked the system, buried the key and forgot it.”

Frank sets the saw down on the table with a bang. “I don’t have time for this!”

“It’s true. I swear it. I only have the clue: the heart of the dragon.”

Frank stares down into Joe’s eyes for a long moment, and it is not Joe who looks away first. “That’s the stupidest clue I’ve ever heard. Fortunately I don’t need it.”

He pulls another trolley from a different corner, this one laden with a large monitor, keyboard and associated computer hardware. He hooks a chair with one foot and sits in one smooth motion. “I’ll bet you there are some avenues you’ve overlooked. Let’s see… yes, here we are.” He rattles at the keyboard, thick fingers oddly precise and sure. “Access profiles, codes, passwords. I’ll bet Minter still has system over-ride. Aha! Yes.” He taps at the keyboard a bit longer, then turns to Joe with a frown. “A voiceprint? Oh, I thought better of you…” Frank lifts his left arm, reaches back and coaxes Minter’s shrunken head up on its scaly neck. “Donald Minter,” it says, voice controlled and even.

The monitor refreshes itself and pauses, cursor flashing. “Retinal scan! Retinal scan!” With one bound he is out of the chair, looming over his prisoner. “Retinal scan!” He is screaming now, veins bulging, fists clenched. Joe does not flinch.

Frank stands gasping for breath for a long moment, then turns back to the terminal. “You think that will stop me. Well. Closest robot is… here.” He looks at Joe; the false cheer and playfulness have gone, his pupils have all but disappeared and his teeth are bared in a snarling rictus. “There’s enough left of Minter to work a retinal scan, once I get him back in his body. I’ll need a ‘bot to hook up the wiring. Need a little software patching to hold the mental bits together…”

“While I’m working on that I’ll just send another ‘bot over to the workshop. There must be enough parts around to build a new coupler. Once I hook that up to the fiber optic net, I’m free! It’ll take a little time, but we have that, don’t we.”

“You just can’t make anything of that clue,” Joe taunts.

“That’s obviously intended to distract me,” Frank says, waving a hand as if to brush away an irritation. “I’ll put some thinking into it… but I have other methods, brother. I don’t need to play your little games.”

Franks tinkering with bots now, eh? Will we see the rise of another Nap Bot? ;) Or Frank's very own Frankenstein creature? :eek:

But I too admit to being curious about Joe's teaser, even though it seems it should be blatently obvious to me what with all the dragons floating around in here. :D

coz1 - The CoT hasn't proven to be the fount of gold I had hoped for - I can't keep more than 5 merchants in it - but focusing on mine and the CoT in Spain has simplified the merchant problem without costing me much money.

I'm finally to the point where I can run the slider at 8% inflation and not lose more than .3d per month. Annual income is still around 200d, which is REALLY poor for a country my size.

It IS a silly clue, isn't it? Ah, don't fret. We shall have a listing of all the candidates soon enough. :)

Storey - PAYBACK! oh, how sweet it is! PAYBACK! YES! YES! YES!

...ahem. Why, Joe, it pains me when you impugn my motives so. Whatever could you mean by 'which I suppose is what you wanted.'

Nil-The-Frogg - yes, war with the Turks is coming. If I expand north I don't get much of value and there's no defensible frontier in Poland. West is Austria... Brrrrrrr... no thank you. I debated going into Italy but all the minors have strong alliances and I'd be constantly at war. South are the Mamlukes, tempting... but East are some rich provinces, and if I go east I can knock down a major rival.

The perils of fighting the Turks will be discussed soon.

J. Passepartout - I was jumping around, whooping and hollering like a kid at Mardi Gras. I'd been dreading the inevitable assault from Austria, and instead... God Bless the Pope! God Bless the warmongering old calendar-changing Bolognese dragon anyway! Saved! Saved! Saved!

As we will soon see, this DID keep Austria off my back but it was not an unmixed blessing.

I actually wondered about that dragon comment in the other post, but I figured I was missing something.

This looks interesting. Would Frank have been recoding Joe, however poorly and painfully, with that equipment? Fortunately, whatever the significance of that hint, it allowed for some stalling for time.

Thinking of Mardi Gras, I was wondering what the outlook for it is this year, after that hurricane season we had? This probably should go into a different thread, but I will probably forget it by that time, so I am writing to keep track of it.

Mardi Gras will probably be bigger and better than ever in Mobile. A limited Mardi Gras will be celebrated in New Orleans. The outlook for the Mississippi Gulf Coast is about the same as NO; small this year, but sincere.

Director [B said:
Storey[/B] - PAYBACK! oh, how sweet it is! PAYBACK! YES! YES! YES!

...ahem. Why, Joe, it pains me when you impugn my motives so. Whatever could you mean by 'which I suppose is what you wanted.'

:D :D Did I do something like that?

Great update as always Director. With Joe and Frank are we witnessing the immovable object meeting the irresistible force? :D

Joe

Last edited: