• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 40: Cobbler

“Arrogance on the part of the meritorious is even more offensive to us than the arrogance of those without merit”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Toulouse, April 2, 1082

Barefoot, Gaston de Toulouse stood with his back to the other children, who were all standing in line, with their hands behind their backs. He began to chant, “Cobbler, cobbler, mend my shoe. Mend it, mend it, make it new! Cobbler, cobbler…”

As he repeated the verse again and again, Gaston’s shoes was passed up and down the row behind the other children’s backs. After several more verses, he stopped and all activity behind him ceased. Turning around, Gaston saw that everyone had their hands behind their backs. The whole row of “cobblers” turned their back to him, all of them pretending to mend Gaston’s shoes. Well, except for the one who actually has my shoes.

He was never particularly good at this game. When everyone turned around, he scaned the row, and came up with four candidates who could posibly have his shoes. First was Peironela, who seemed to be fidgeting. Miquel was second. He had a smug look on his face; the look that said that he knew something that Gaston didn’t. Third was Bregida, who simply looked strait ahead, making it seem like she did not care much for the game. Fourth was Bertrand, the Duke’s new squire who was a year or two older than Gaston, who was looking down the row.

After a few seconds of debate, Gaston made his choice, “Bert.”

Bert’s eyes quickly shot over to Gaston, and he shook his head. Who is it then? Gaston’s answer came from the giggle of the girl standing next to Bert, Bert’s twin sister, Clara. She reveled Gaston’s shoes. I have to stop focusing in on certain people. Meanwhile, Miquel, the tallest of all of the children, who was on the other side of Clara in the row, looked down his nose at her.

“Give him his shoes back, Clara,” Bert said, “We both ought to head back to the manor. I’ll be there needed soon.” Smiling, Clara walked over to Gaston and gave him his shoes, which he quickly began to put back on.

Clara turned to her brother, “Let’s go.” As they began to walk off, Bregida took notice, and without a word left to follow them. When Bregida caught up with them, she and Clara began to talk incessantly, with some side comments coming out of Bert.

With those three gone the game disolved, the children going off in separate directions. Eberhard limbed over toward Gaston, who was followed by the long and confident steps of Miquel. “You focus on certain people too much.” Eberhard stated.

“I know, I know. I was focusing more on everyone around her.” Gaston said, slightly exasperated.

“You oughtn’t let her win like that.” Miquel critisised.

“Why?” Eberhard asked.

Miquel explained, “It’s an embarresment. Both them are lower than us. It’s said that their father is a bastard.”

“So?” Eberhard said.

Miquel shook his head and started back to the manor. Muttering on the way, he left Gaston and Eberhard alone.

----------------------

An update where nothing and alot of things happen. ;) Though I have not advanced the plot much here, you get a better idea of who one of the character's is, introduced two more, and continued to leave you in the dark about another.

Indeed. Very conscious of his rights he seems, while Eberherd, bless him, is quite innocent in a way.

Guys, this is not the place to discuss the nature of the Crusades. Go and do that in the Pre-1419 History Forum.

Veldmaarschalk: That was my intent. I guess the only way I could have made it more obvious would be to hang a sign around his neck saying "hate me". :p

stnylan: Then again, you make a very good point about Miquel. He knows that his family has more power (and hence, in his eyes, are better) than Bert and Clara's family. He will make an interesting adult.

Eberhard, on the other hand, does seem to be Miquel's opposite in several repects.

Cliffracer RIP: I'd rather not have any people discussing or debating the motives in of the Crusades here. As stnylan said, leave that to the history forum. I'd rather hear comments on my writting and the story.

Welcome to the AAR, by the way.

Veldmaarschalk: :eek: I think you just made my week. Thank you!

Chapter 41: A True Friend?

“A true friend is one soul in two bodies.”

Aristotle

Same

Bregida de Toulouse nodded in agreement to what Clara had just said, her head bobbing up and down emphatically. “Can I borrow some of your thread?” Clara asked.

“Of course.” Bregida answered. She and Clara often passed time by sewing together.

Bert’s hand went to his forehead, “I need to get to the stables!” Obviously having forgotten about something, Bert turned and ran toward the stables, leaving the two girls alone.

Looking at Bert as he ran off, Bregida asked, “Will you miss him?”

“Bert? He’s my brother,” Clara said matter-of-factly, “Why wouldn’t I?” Bregida had expected that kind of anwer out of Clara.

The two of them got back to the manor and started sewing. Even though they talked when they worked, Bregida still could not keep her mind off of the fact that Bert, Gaston, her father, and the Duke would soon be leaving Toulouse for the Crusade. She was worried about all four of them.

Even though she tried to concentrate on every stitch, Bregida’s thoughts kept drifting to Bert. She knew the other three for as long as she could remember. For some reason, she was worried about Bert more. She did not understand why…

Not paying enough attention, Bregida accidentally pricked her thumb with her needle, “Ow!”

Clara looked up, “You alright?”

“Yes, I think so.” Bregida replied examining her thumb. At least she would not be all alone. She had Clara, Pieronela, Ramonda, Eberhard, Miquel… Maybe it will not be that bad.

---------------------------

A bit short, but I think it accomplishes what I want it to.

If it does the job in hand, then that is all it need do. An intriguing little scene. So, Bregida has some feelings for Bert? Perhaps she is just a little young yet to properly interpret her own emotions.

Few words but a lot of information. So the young generation becomes more and more important? They seem to develop some feelings towards each other, who hadn't expected this though?

And Miquel seems to me like a typical noble, no more no less.

East Emnet,

Congratulations on your Character Writer of the Week Award! :D

Great to see your fine writing being honored, so.

Unfortunately, it brings to my mind that I'm about 2 months behind in my reading here... :eek: I'll have to catch up!

Great theatrical style. I'll look forward to catching up.

Rensslaer

stnylan: Perhaps.

CSK: Nobody could not expect it.

Define typical.

Rensslaer: Thank you, and yes, you have quite a bit of catching up to do.

Veldmaarschalk: Oh why do you always assume that something bad will always happen! :( ;) Perhaps someone will end up happy eventually. :p I am not all cruel.

Chapter 42: The Merchant of Venice

“For take thy balance if thou be so wise
And weigh the wind that under heaven doth blow;
Or weigh the light that in the east doth rise;
‘Or weigh the thought that from man's mind doth flow.”

Voltaire

Laigin, April 5, 1082

“Venice…I lived there for a while, after Mallorca.” Hummud Bari said to the one-eyed Frankish knight, Bertrand d’Bearn. Since Hummud had captured the man in Dublin, who had been sevearly wounded, both of the men had begun to trust the other and taken intrest in what the other had to say.

“Realy?” Bertrand replied. The knight had been surprised how he had recovered so quickly, and that he had recovered at all. Much time had been spent showing him the medical techniques of Hammud’s doctors, which he had shown a definate interest in.

Hammud went on, “I can see why it attracts people in need of, er…work.” Looking toward the door of the hall, frowning for a momment. “I think we are ready for their messanger now.”

One of his gaurds bowed and set off down the long hall toward the great doors. This hall, belonging to a local petty king named Bran, had been Hammud’s base of operations since the Venetians had landed here in Laigin. King Bran had eagerly welcomed Hammud into his lands and had even given him aid. Although Hammud took all of this gladly, Bran worried him. The king seemed to be the kind of man that goes the way the wind blows. Bran had proclaimed not too long ago that he now followed Hammud’s religion. He had even gone as far as to offer Hammud his own daughter in marrage. Since both the daughter and Hammud both disliked the idea, it was quickly scrapped. The poor girl was afraid of Hammud, which is one reason why he said no. For better or for worse, he was stuck with Bran for now. At least I have Bertrand to keep an eye on him.

Just then, Bertrand tapped Hammud on the shoulder, jerking him out of his thoughts. The Venitian legate was standing before. Repectfully, the man bowed, and while this happened Hammud took the chance to study him. He looked more like a merchant that a soldeir. The balding man, who introduced himself as Gisulf, which hinted he had Lombard ancestory, looked to be in his late fourties, and he was not dressed in any armor at all, only robes.

“I have been sent,” Gisulf began, in his diplomatic and eloquent voice, “by my superiors to ask for your peacefull surrender.” This man must be a politician. That very word, politician, was odd to him.

Thinking for a moment, Hammud asked, “What happens if I don’t?” He knew full well what would happen.

“Then we have a bloody battle that we must endure.” Gisulf replied, “You must consider that repercussion.”

“And what happens if I surrender now?” Hammud inquired, interested in knowing what terms the Venitians were setting on the table.

“You leave Hibernia by ship, and you shall not anchor until you reach Iberia.” These were very generous terms. Hammud was tempted, but…after a bit of thought, he liked neither of the options.

After a few seconds, Gisulf asked again, “Which route will you take?”

A smile appeared on Hammud’s face, “Neither.”

“How…can you choose neither option?” Gisulf now had a confused look.

“You see,” Hammud said, “I can do just that, very easily. I could, say, not send back any reply. You will not return to your camp.” Gisulf’s eyes went wide, “Oh, don’t worry. I never stoop so low as to kill a captive. Ask my friend here.” He motioned over towards Bertrand. Gisulf shot a sideways glance to the kight in the Moor’s presence. “Bertrand, take him to your tent.”

“Yes.” Bertrand said, leading Gisulf out.

Hammud leaned back in his chair, looking up at the high ceiling. He knew that he could not stay here. Hammud doubted that he had his men could win a toe-to-toe battle with the men Venice had sent here. Perhaps he could link up with another friendly army. There was also the possisblity of retreating deaper into the island of Hibernia. So many posiblities…

-----------------------

Hammud needed an update, so I gave him one, his best one yet. :D Well, considereing his previous ones were pretty short.

Not just Hammud - very devious - but also Bertrand.

Veldmaarschalk: Yep, just another one for you guys to keep straight. :p

stnylan: We will hear more from Raymo... I mean, Bertrand, in a bit. ;)

Chapter 43: A Doubtful Friend

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him.”

Aesop

Same

As Raymond de Toulouse lead Gisulf out of King Bran’s Hall, the Lombard cast a hostile sideways glance in his direction. Raymond could tell Gisulf was appalled by the fact that he had found a Christian knight apparently in the service of a Muslim general. He may have also noticed that I lack an eye.

Gisulf was no longer in the diplomatic sort of mood, which was understandable, considering the situation he was in. Halfway to Raymond’s tent, what was left of Gisulf’s patience had disappeared. Angry, he muttered, “Traitor.”

“Hm? What was that?” Raymond asked, even though he had heard what Gisulf said, very clearly.

Gisulf was no longer as formal as he was before, “You took the same oath as I did, did you not?”

“If you are asking if I am a Crusader or not,” Raymond replied, “then yes, I am.”

He lead Gisulf on, but the newcomer was not finished yet. “And you’ve turned your back on that? Just like that? To be a servant to the enemy?”

Something about that last question made Raymond snap. He turned, and looking Gisulf straight in the face, he grabed the smaller man and lifted him up so that he was at Raymond’s eye level.

It was times like this that Raymond wished that he still had two eyes. His one eyed glare seemed inadequate for what he wanted to get across. Glowering at Gisulf for a moment, Raymond finally said, “I am no servant.” Just then, the calm, rational side of Raymond came back, and he set Gisulf back down, “With that established, lets keep going.”

The two continued on to Raymond’s tent. When they got there Raymond said, “I think that this tent is big enough to share.” After a moment of thought, he said, “You may not want to get too comfortable.”

“Why?” Gisulf asked weakly.

“Because if I know Hammud, the commander here, as well as I think I do,” Raymond began, “then he will not stay put. He would be mad if he wanted to stand and fight in this situation. No, he does not want to do anything that stupid. He’ll fight if he sees that it is to his advantage.” He looked back at King Bran’s Hall, which sat atop a hill, “To bad we will have to leave here. The King there may be a bit vain, but he is a good host.”

Gisulf raised an eyebrow, “How is that?”

“Why,” a smirk appeared on Raymond’s face, “he makes a point of kissing the rear end of every single guest.”

Gisulf surpressed a laugh. “What is you name?” He suddenly asked.

For a moment, Raymond thought about revealing his identity to Gisulf, and tell him to keep it a secret, of course. No… Not yet, at least. “My name’s Bertrand.”

----------------------------

It was times like this that Raymond wished that he still had two eyes. His one eyed glare seemed inadequate for what he wanted to get across.

For whatever reason, I realy like what I wrote there. It just popped into my mind at the time.