• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, Johan is simply saying that with the new system, such pirate spawns will be incredibly rare, since the area, while full of rich ports to attract pirates, is never left bare of national fleets that will keep them away.
I guess we're all happy it's a thing of the past rather than future. Thanks for the explanations.

Allow me to allay some fears:

• Colonial range is indeed affected by trade winds.

Please indicate where you desire that your holy shrine should be built.

That feature - that feature alone - would have sold me the expansions if I weren't sold already.

Thank you for this great dev diary!

My largest issue with pirates was how hard they were to mod tho. The whole system was largely hardcoded. Id be really happy if average pirate strength and average pirate spawn rate, as well as the importance of the new uncontrolled-coast penalty, were easily modifiable. Throw in naval patrol ranges for good measure :)

Id also extend this request to the diplomatic model to some extent. Diplomatic odds are one of the most opaque aspects of EU3, and things like the max size of a country you can diplo-vassalize really ought to be modifiable...

Thanks for considering this :)

Great to see the port in London, and the addition of the trade winds looks amazing.

The piracy changes are nice, but since you've already gone through the effort of tagging sea regions with the winds, you could as well go the whole hog and fully abstract the piracy system... a nifty piracy level icon on each coastal sea region, affected by the coastal provinces owners' navy/policies/provincial decisions...

And with the tagging of sea regions... it would also be very nice to have a sea ice level in winter in northern coastal areas like the Baltic or the White Sea. That would make naval strategy in the north a lot more interesting by hindering or totally preventing naval operations during certain months.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Please, in the next DD, confirm the "call allies to arms" option. :D

Y'all just can't stop making this thing better, can you? We love you, we really do...

Well, I think I could love them some more...

So keep up the awesome work!

Love the port in London btw. Itll make it possible to land directly in the British capital after laying waste to the Royal Navy. Scattering the King's rowboats and burning London to the ground every decade for a few centuries is precisely my idea of having a good time. :rofl:

I can't believe anyone's complaining about Trade Winds, a great and unexpected addition.

Suggestion: make the winds for each province change direction from day to day and week to week, and include storms at sea and the doldrums so ships can be blown off course or becalmed.

Will there be any accounting for the historical quest to find a method for accurately measuring longitude? All the major European nations of EU3's time period were obsessed with this problem.

Anyway, putting my pessimism aside, I'll give it a shot in the actual game and see for myself the whole fix you're planning before I rush to judgement. Just be aware that the whole pirate thing can easily break everything else you have planned for navy in HttT.

I agree. Making it so your ported fleet counts as a patrol and so pirates that do spawn don't retreat could definitely make the pirate situation much more of a pain in the ass and completely the game.

You seem to be afraid the changes don't go far enough. I don't know how you could have conflated that with actually making the situation worse: this post is just ridiculous.

Will there be any accounting for the historical quest to find a method for accurately measuring longitude? All the major European nations of EU3's time period were obsessed with this problem.

It's kind of a boring topic really. Lunars, while they did an ok job, are extremely labour intensive and complex to compute time with. And the first chronometer was designed by someone on his own over 31 years.

I can't believe anyone's complaining about Trade Winds, a great and unexpected addition.

Suggestion: make the winds for each province change direction from day to day and week to week, and include storms at sea and the doldrums so ships can be blown off course or becalmed.

I like the idea, but probably not until 4.2. I would truly love to see directional storms, giving the choice of persisting in your direction (with very high attrition), staying where you are (somewhat high), or giving in to reality, being driven in the storm's direction (lower attrition). If the direction is onto a shore, well, then the last option is out.

One thing it'd do is allow weaker, but still strong, fleets to sortie occasionally. Think France.

But that, if possible, is for the future. Right now, I'm delighted with the way things have turned out. HttT is back on top of my Christmas list. (Almost) all my objections have been met, at least partly. I'm sure I'll find a way to mod PIR down, anyway, but I'm sure I can live with the new regime. (And I was, after all, the most persistent objector. Good job, guys.)

EDIT: Now, if only something can be done about the way the AI scraps its fleets all at once, when a new type is available. That & AI attrition....

Last edited:
Love the port in London btw. Itll make it possible to land directly in the British capital after laying waste to the Royal Navy. Scattering the King's rowboats and burning London to the ground every decade for a few centuries is precisely my idea of having a good time. :rofl:

+1:rofl:

-1:mad: