Hearts of Iron IV Retells History through a Look at Military Technology

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe you can extend the "Tiger"-line with E75 and the "Maus"-line with E100

Mods.

Absolutely amazing work. The gearing of factories to produce certain types, the reutilization of parts adds a lot of depth to the game, giving an extra incentive to not produce a dozen separate types of vehicles at the same time. I like to think that I'll produce Tigers in reasonable numbers but I'll probably spam the crap out of Panzer IVs and Panthers yet still lose the tank war.

How will variants be represented though? Like the Bf-109's different variants were not at all the same, the K-4 didn't have the same engine or guns as the E-3 for example, and there are big differences between the first Panther and the Ausf. G.

Adding the Maus is fine, if it consumes vast quantities of fuel, moves just above walking speed, requires loads of expensive spare parts and is very vulnerable to just being bombed from the air.

There is a reason that super heavy tanks did not last.

No one ever stops to think maybe The Netherlands flipped their flag over themselves to try and deter a German invasion :(

That sounds like a good tactic! Using the same tactics, Yugoslavia flipped their flag to encourage a German invasion (as seen in the livestream)...

Germany: "We must invade the Netherlands!"
General: "Yes Sir!" - Moves armies south
Germany: "Why are you going south?"
General: "Look at their flag"

Yugoslavia: "Our plan is working!"

The truth is more sinister: Dutch spies rotated the Yugoslav flag

Yugoslavia: "WHY???"
The Netherlands: "Our plan is working!"

Can't somebody make a HOI4 parody mod where "Replace Flags" is one of the available spy missions?

Can't somebody make a HOI4 parody mod where "Replace Flags" is one of the available spy missions?

Yes, and a special mission to give Germany their proper flag, with a warning that GSG9 may pay a visit if you do it in Germany. Old habits die hard...

One option is "Union-Jack-it!". It adds an Union Jack to the upper-left of any flag so it now appears that the country is part of the British Commonwealth.

Yes, and a special mission to give Germany their proper flag, with a warning that GSG9 may pay a visit if you do it in Germany. Old habits die hard...
This gave me an image in my head of someone sitting in a secret little room in their house, playing HOI4 with swastikas enabled on a secret computer, jumping at every noise...

Yugoslavia: "WHY???"
The Netherlands: "Our plan is working!"

As a Dutchman I can confirm this is historically accurate.

But US may have manpower problem.

Only if they mobilise huge numbers of divisions, thus weakening their industrial production.

I don't think that will happen in the game, because they specifically pointed out why not in the video.

q7Bovlt.jpg

Reactions:
I'm slightly annoyed by the fact the tech tree ends with a proto-MBT at 1945 level. This vision is not historical. Of course, we all know that WW2 experience led to the definition of an hybrid between medium tanks and heavy tanks, that we call Main Battle Tank today. However, in 1945 it was far from obvious that everyone should use a single model of tank.

Keep two thing sin mind :

a) Several major kept using heavy tanks after the war : the USA, UK and USSR. France and China had prototypes, and Germany had it sprojects cancelled by its defeat in 1945, and only began rearming when heavies were being considered outdated.

b) In HoI IV, 1945-level heavy tanks are not supposed to represent post-war heavy tank development, when people have the time to take a deep breath, pour themselves a cup of coffee, and wonder " Are heavy tanks really important ?". In HoI IV, those tanks will be used in the case of a WW2 that continued past its historical end date, or a WW3 immediatly following the second world war. They will happen in a situation where the fundamental doctrines are not being so deeply questionned as in peace time, and new models are being researched to fit the categories that already exist.

Therefore, I think the tech tree should have at least a 1945-level heavy tank, which would represent models such as T-29, E-75 and IS-7.

Yes!! Give us more options.. If playing Germany/Italy give us options to ensure Nationalist Spain comes out the winners, or not send at all, leaving Franco to fight his own war. Or if France/Britain player wants to send arms to republic Spain to ensure Franco is put down. But YES! please make the Spanish civil war more eventful for players. Especially for Germany with the Condor Legion..:) and ensure Spain gives the Spanish Blue Division up to Germany for the invasion of Russia:)

Err... excuse me

ExcyOOOOwse me!

Britain did at least as much as Germany & Italy to ensure the Nationalists won.

Who was it made sure the Russians didn't get hundreds of tanks to the scumbags Republicans?

Who was it that allowed Germany & Italy to "maintain the blockade" in their own areas so they could ship in whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted?

Who was it kept stalling the French to keep them out?

Who was it that flew Franco to Ceuta in the first place?

The ONLY thing Germany &/or Italy should get out of sending more troops to fight in Spain (apart from a shorter war &, therefore, less experience) is a little more Threat.

Franco didn't want to joint the Axis. For many reasons. Mostly because he knew that neither of The Corporals could be trusted.