• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well I read your guide (and lo, Im well on my way to making my first country =D - and my first time moding a paradox game, ever /cheer :rofl: ) but for someone who has never modded a game file before in his life, you seem to leave out a few essentials that are pestering me...

what are the ID ranges for countries? I noticed these are used in polticol paties...events..

Second i in the last step - do I just add a .inc file , or do I also need to add a .csv like most the other countries seem to have (listing pops in provinces it appears, Ill have to go over them more thourghly) and someone mentioned having to add them to the .eug file (for the scenerio I am presuming :) , which unless I missed it, was not mentioned in your guide either

Another question which comes forth is the armies, while you won't be writing a full moding of armies at least knowing where to look/short description of what those lines are would be very helpful.

...by the by Ill prolly have answered most of these by trial and error before you respond but am just posting questions from a complete modding newb so that you may further clarify and update (if you still are :) )

:confused: well Ive read the lsit, checked it twice, and now Im getting CTD's whenever I try to start up as my country...no error message and I can't tell after looking over it what is wrong..., and I can't figure out the way to attach a zip and emailing has been disabled...

Last edited:
I was mightily frustrated at the inability both for European nations to dispose of their colonial empires in an historically accurate manner and for those same regions (when rebellious) to break away.

Thus (without having seen this great guide), I managed to find my way through creating 20 new nations (Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Somalia, Namibia, Tanzania, Congo, Mozambique, Angola, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Israel, Malta, Kazakhstan). Most can declare independence, but India and Pakistan cannot. Now, Spain, Portugal, the UK, and the Ottoman Empire can dispose of almost all their empires if they got a bit tired of them. So good, so far. :)

However, there are still areas of the world with a distinct lack of countries (Africa and the Caribbean, really). To cut to the chase, does anyone know if it's possible to include more than 20 extra countries? I've tried to do it as before, but it doesn't work. I guess that I'll resort to getting rid of the likes of Deseret, the Metis Confederation, Trieste, etc, but, if possible, I'd rather not. Can anyone help?

20 is the limitation set in the .exe, so if there are to be more, it has to be made possible by Johan & Co. Till that happens, tag-resirculation is what you have to do.

:) Rafiki

Nuclear Winter said:
Hello guys, great guide! But I was trying to do a nation following its steps and I failed. I had this error when trying to open Victoria (upon trying to open the game exe file):
Error in language file,token '"######NAMES OF COUNTRIES & AREAS######
And I have no idea of what to do... funny thing is I can´t find that line in any file that I editted... any clues?
Nuke

pimparel said:
Zip your changes and send it to me. So I can check it.

Checked. Saved the *.csv files with the wrong program.

How should I edit it then? I did it with excel but got the mentioned message.

Strategist said:
How should I edit it then? I did it with excel but got the mentioned message.

The old and good notepad or PSPad a freeware.

I got a question that may be a little off subject, but here it is:

I have given independence to Poland, as Russia, and I want to save the game, and become Prussia, so that I may give Poland the land they claim from Prussia. The problem is that I cannot be Prussia when I reload the Russia game because it is one of the nations on the main nations list on the opening screen, where the scenarios are displayed. How can I be Prussia so that I can accomplish the task of giving Poland all its claimed land? Or is there another way?
The scenario I'm using is 1836.

open the .eug, then scroll a bit down, you will see some nations, and after one of these your name. Delete your name. Et Voila, now you can select any country...

Can anyone here mail the files db/country.csv and config/world_names.csv because I can't get them to work and I don't want to reïnstall the game because I am afraid to loose my modifications in other files. Here's my email-adress: gdesoeten@xs4all.nl

Strategist said:
Can anyone here mail the files db/country.csv and config/world_names.csv because I can't get them to work and I don't want to reïnstall the game because I am afraid to loose my modifications in other files. Here's my email-adress: gdesoeten@xs4all.nl

Install in another directory and copy the files.

Many thanks, Strategist. There is one problem though. When I remove my name, and when the game loads as the country I chose, the script won't load. When is says "Script Loading" it exits out of Victoria. There must be something missing.

Last edited:
Supreme Emporer said:
Many thanks, Strategist. There is one problem though. When I remove my name, and when the game loads as the country I chose, the script won't load. When is says "Script Loading" it exits out of Victoria. There must be something missing.

I'm having pretty much the same problem. I can select my country in the list, and after I start to load, it just stuck in the "reading scenario..." and stopped responding. (didn't crash to desktop tho) and it didn't give me any error messages whatsoever.

Last edited:
lyphard said:
I'm having pretty much the same problem. I can select my country in the list, and after I start to load, it just stuck in the "reading scenario..." and stopped responding. (didn't crash to desktop tho) and it didn't give me any error messages whatsoever.

I wondered what the problem was. I've been experimenting with a second copy of Victoria on my comp. but I can't seem to fix the problem.

Anyone know why it doesn't work?

Castro said:
How do edit the population of a country before you start? not by editing a savegame

Just go to Victoria's scenarios directory and alter your specific scenario's population.csv files for the provinces that your country owns.

A few questions on modding your country using this method.

Can I have more than one culture?

If I go through revolt to establish a country, can I control that country? When I say revolt, I mean only revolt in a few province out of the original country. Let's say China. If I play China and mod an event for revolt starting with only a few province, can my game then switch from playing China to the revolted new country? I hope I am making sense here.

If revolt and establish a new country this way, do I need to amend China's file in this case, so that China won't own that province as well, or if I do everything in revolt text, I don't need to worry about it.

Cheers

Oh yes, countries can have as many cultures as you like (some start the GC with up to 4 cultures).

If you wish to play a game with a country that comes into existance through revolt, wait for it to revolt, save the game, then load it up again as the one you wish to play.

If you just us the country as a revolter, and not something that exists from the start, there's no need to modify existing countries.

rafiki said:
Oh yes, countries can have as many cultures as you like (some start the GC with up to 4 cultures).

Thanks Rafiki. So is that mean any of these 4 cultures can produce max effect in factories?

Yup, each counts as a state culture for all things and purposes.