• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hannibal_M

Private
Sep 15, 2012
Hello guys!

After a long break, I'm back to CK: DV. This time I have a question regardin grand masters. In my current game, my capital was struck with malaria, so I decided to send my son away as fosterling. Of all the choices, I decided to send him to the Hospitales, because, what would be cooler than train with an order of warrior monks? :D

Then I noticed my son was the second on the succesion order from the grandmaster. I assasinated the first candidate, and now my son is the first heir. I have instituted salic gavelkind, so he will still inherit me. So my question is, what would be the advantage, if any, of my son being grandmaster of the Hospitalers, besides the extra prestige from the equivalent of another king title? I only have a few years before he returns home. Is it worth risking assasinating the current grand master? I remember from previous games that monastic orders sent warriors during wars, can't remember if only during the crusades or also on regular wars. So if I'm grandmaster, can I train my own templar knights?

Speaking of templars, what's their, and any other mercenary's advantage, over my own troops? Do they have better technologies? I've been hiring mercenaries any time I'm ofered, because... well, just because I have the money :p But I forgot to check their equipment. Just on my last regiment of mercenaries, some bowmen from dunnowhere, I remembered to check their techs and they were using longbows and reinforced leather, exactly the same techs I have on my capital, where they appeared and where their description says they're from. Was it a coincidence, or do mercenaries always have the same tech level as the capital? Just my luck, after I checked they were using longbows, I was considering what to do with 2000 bowmen, and decided to send them to the middle east, to fight rebel upsrisings. And just after they left Almerias, I discovered composite bows, the next tech level in bows :mad:

Good question.

God it's so long ago.

I think yoou can vassalise them when your dynastic relative is grandmaster/head, but i might be completely wrong.
More prestige for your dynasty maybe..

Don't think it's worth it.
Can't even recall how military orders worked in CK1. :eek:

Sorry. :oops:

Anyone else ?