• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The IlKhanate and Golden Horde will obliterate each others armies

The mongols suck :/
I rarely even see them reach the Black Sea

Yeah, every game ever:

Ilkhanate arrives, takes one or two counties in the very east of Persia (because Persia is fractured and almost all counties are independent by this time in the game if you started in 1066 or before), takes maybe one or two up in Turkestan, then sits still for a while.

Golden Horde arrives and them and the Ilkhanate immediately start obliterating each other's attrition-free doomstacks.

One decade or less later, it's like they were never even there.

There, you know your problem. It's not the Mongol that's OP, it's you that sucked. Play more and complain less is my advice.
Your comment has provided nothing for the discussion.

Yeah, every game ever:

Ilkhanate arrives, takes one or two counties in the very east of Persia (because Persia is fractured and almost all counties are independent by this time in the game if you started in 1066 or before), takes maybe one or two up in Turkestan, then sits still for a while.

Golden Horde arrives and them and the Ilkhanate immediately start obliterating each other's attrition-free doomstacks.

One decade or less later, it's like they were never even there.

You forgot one thing, sometime they will DoW Persia/Seljuk for the conquest of a random county, even if they could use their invasion CB and grab the whole kingdom.

The last time I tussled with the hordes (pre-WoL):

They would sometimes split their doomstacks to spread out and lay seiges. Fast timing let me piecemeal them.

While they suffer no attrition, losses over time will whittle their event troops and reduce them to levies. It is a long, multi-war resistance.

Well, no. It may have been a bit rude, but he's right. I have not recalled a single dynasty of mine collapsing the last ~50 games I played. Maybe there's some skill still lacking in OP.

Eh, not necessarily. I've had one or two collapse, but mostly because I tend to keep a small dynasty unless I'm playing republic. I don't land dynasty members, don't marry off my daughters, or secondary sons unless it seems likely my primary heir won't produce an heir. It's just sort of one of my stock bits of my playstyle, despite the fact it leaves me vulnerable to the occasional mishap.

That said, anyone who plays more toward the standard, it is incredibly hard to have a dynasty collapse.

Unfortunately if you are based in the Steppes, start preparing to swear fealty or to somehow become incorporated into their empire, if you're an empire that stretches into the Steppes, then cut those territories loose to fend for themselves. The only other advice I can give is send all your troops to fight but fight smart, you're not trying to win, you're trying to kill as many of their soldiers as possible so they eventually revert to the tribal infighting that plagues the tribes in that area.

1. Their doomstack will spread for the kingdom they attack. Try to kill them when they are parted.
2. Try to find a stack with ruler as a general (this army will be named something about "Army of Batu") and fight it first. If you're very lucky, you can imprison him and win this way.
3. Try to avoid using your ruler as a general. This fight is not so easy, so you don't want to risk to be imprisoned.
4. They are attackers, so you want white peace, not a full victory.
5. Try to use navies to collect your army at one place.

You should see some pretty insane attrition on their stacks when winter hits. Your empire is mostly in Siberia.

The AI will spread their stacks out too and try to carpet siege. Try to fight a war of attrition since those stacks won't regenerate. If they have a 5k stack, knock into them with everything you've got while avoid attrition yourself. Hit them and then retreat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Without any holdings they have no way of re-grouping and regathering their strength.

Try to tempt them to cross rivers and into mountains too when attacking you.

You should see some pretty insane attrition on their stacks when winter hits. Your empire is mostly in Siberia.

The AI will spread their stacks out too and try to carpet siege. Try to fight a war of attrition since those stacks won't regenerate. If they have a 5k stack, knock into them with everything you've got while avoid attrition yourself. Hit them and then retreat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Without any holdings they have no way of re-grouping and regathering their strength.

Try to tempt them to cross rivers and into mountains too when attacking you.
I think the Mongol doomstacks are immune to attrition.

I suggest you fight them to the end. They are forced to chip at you bit by bit. Grant independence to vassals between you and them to slow them down. The Mongols are pretty passive, so they'll fight some county conquests and maybe one or two invasions. Eventually their stacks will be whittled down and you'll defeat them.

I think the Mongol doomstacks are immune to attrition.

I suggest you fight them to the end. They are forced to chip at you bit by bit. Grant independence to vassals between you and them to slow them down. The Mongols are pretty passive, so they'll fight some county conquests and maybe one or two invasions. Eventually their stacks will be whittled down and you'll defeat them.

The question is why they are so passive in the first place...

Thanks Mr. Obvious. This is my first game where my dynasty didn't completely collapse after several generations.

Looking at your realm, just put up a fight try to reduce their stacks in each war, while you're loose territory you should be able to survive; and in my experience like any other blob mongols will eventually be beatable.

Does the mongol CB only apply on neighbors? I just had my kingdom of Jerusalem invaded (with ~70k troops, I actually could've stood a chance, but I went and messed it up) and the only connecting land was a single GH holding in the county of Petra. Bloody muslims keep making a mess of the holding structure... not to mention that I had no real reason previously to take Petra, other than "why not". Some mistake that was.

Damn, the doom stack seems to be replenishing :-/

ck2_7.png

So.... what the heck am I supposed to do? They have an 80k stack, the attrition limits are 10-20k. There is no way I can defeat this stack, ever.

All of the hordes in the game besides the Aztec Empire are TERRIBLE. They make hardly any conquests and they sit idle for years and lose all their troops. They need to be improved with more aggressiveness or something.