• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well ok make Russia with it own alliance. but i can purpose you something that no HoI game has ever done before.France is in Entente and Russia is in its alliance. but you could still 'ally' them by making the troops visible that is turn the FoW off. that way it would make it look like they are in alliance.what do you say

sry, missed that.
Interessting idea, but this would lead us to more work on the code.
I will add this to our internal wish list.

@chepaeff

1) look at this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...e-Beta-AAR&p=12178615&viewfull=1#post12178615
2) as said several times in that thread: we wont change that russia in the entente issue, 'cause it will lead to game mechanic problems.
3) you are free to mod that if you think you can do it better, have luck! You will need it.

Now please stop this 'Russia in Entente' discussion or open a separate thread.

What if I, as player controlled Japan, attack the Russians? I'm automatically at war with France. The agreement between Russia and France was limited only to Triple Alliance nations, as you correctly quoted. So, as long as no nation is allowed to declare war in 1914 scenario except for A-H on Serbia I think the mechanic is sound.

What actually bothers me: is Britain in the Entente from the beginning or only after they decide to join the war if Germany attacks Belgium? I hope for the latter.

What if I, as player controlled Japan, attack the Russians? I'm automatically at war with France. The agreement between Russia and France was limited only to Triple Alliance nations, as you correctly quoted. So, as long as no nation is allowed to declare war in 1914 scenario except for A-H on Serbia I think the mechanic is sound.

The same question can be asked - what if you attack UK as Japan. You would be immediately at war with France as well and that's equally stupid.

USSR and Western powers were probably actually the case of co-belligerents. Trade between USSR and Western powers is simulated by land lease events and that's it. Diplomacy between Russia and France in 1914 and USSR and UK in 1941 is very different. In 1914 it's like "We're Best Friends Forever", in 1941 "Oh Lord, we hope we'll have to deal with Soviets after we finish with Germans".

Why nobody claims then that USSR should become ally of France, UK and USA during WWII?

I wouldn't complain if that were the case. There were even American planes stationed in Soviet bases.

It was a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", or, as Churchill put it: "If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons", but it still was an alliance. No way the Soviets would have allowed for Berlin to be divided between the four powers when they were occupying all of it (and after the war had already finished!) if it wasn't.

Although I can understand why people might be upset that the French-Russian alliance is not modeled accurately by DH, but you have to take into account the difficulties of perfectly simulating complex political and military situations in video games. The testers and developers have stated that the decision to separate the Entente into two separate alliances was due game play and coding reasons (just like Austria-Hungry, Germany, and Italy not being allied at game start). Although it is not exactly historical, the separate alliances are a solution to coding limitations with the game engine.

In a contest of playability vs. perfect historical accuracy, I think the right choice is to go with playability. I’m sure flavor events and decisions have been added to simulate the actual Entente and I don’t have much of a problem with that. It’s not perfect, but it works.

Last edited:
what are those limitations are you speaking of?
This is a guess, but I'd say that they're mainly related to defensive alliances against only one country instead of against the whole world and the possibility for a country to exit from alliance if an ally is attacked (no "call allies + refuse call" mechanism).

@Barón Rojo: due to an Hard Disk failure this AAR has been halted unfortunately. :(

Interesting AAR

It was a very interesting AAR, too bad computer problems caused it to end so soon. I like what you have done with this game and I'm looking forward to purchasing it.:)

The DH team found ways to do many things. Is it not possible for them the have Russia in the Entente, and find a way for them to stay at war, even if France does surrender?

The DH team found ways to do many things. Is it not possible for them the have Russia in the Entente, and find a way for them to stay at war, even if France does surrender?

command = { type = leave_alliance }

That's it.