• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for all the advice. In the end it split. I tried to pass Late feudal but the council voted against - I wasn't very popular and couldn't buy enough votes :)

The Bishop thing sounds interesting - I might try that at some point. Gavelkind is hard to keep conquests together, so the Empire route sounds a good way to go. Unfortunately for me, consumption took my ruler before he could finish off his empire plan! o_O

just war with claims on the other kingdom, gavelkind isn't that bad if you're willing to be at war with your family/religion, etc.

just war with claims on the other kingdom, gavelkind isn't that bad if you're willing to be at war with your family/religion, etc.

This is why I'd rather my realm split than have 1 Kingdom but lose all my duchies to my brothers. Press claims, get some extra Prestige for the wars, and revoke whatever other titles you need. Or at least leave your brothers in the Oubliette so they die quickly.