• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Sorry to do this old friend," @Chac1 sighs before he leans his weight into following the Professor's order.

It appears @HistoryDude is quite shaken by Chac1's surprise assault.

"Professor, the Sleeper has Awakened," Chac1 pronounces in the middle of the lecture. "I think."
"Silence in class! 5 demerits." answers the teacher, and grumbles, "silly students always worry about the wrong threats."

"Professor, forgive me for asking, but how do anomalies in others' territories help you? Other than the XP gained by your scientists, don't the resulting benefits to the star system go to the other empires?"
  1. My scientists gain experience from every anomaly
  2. Many anomalies provide valuable scientific research; In the simulation this is represented with stored science equal to several months of science income
  3. Apart from map deposits and scientific research, some anomalies provide further bonuses
  4. As for map deposits in other's territories, which part of Galactic Pacification have you failed to understand? In the long run it will ALL be mine! Do you hear me!? MINE! MINE! ALWAYS MINE!" Well... mine until I hand in the job, collect my bonus, and sign up for a new job, at any rate. What sort of weak-minded wobbly-kneed student are you, that you contemplate NOT pacifying the entire galaxy

"Your empire seems to have already dominated the galaxy! This was far faster than I expected! What could challenge you at this point? Anything?"
Nothing, of course. To be precise, nothing with these galaxy settings.

There never was anything capable of challenging me with the settings the dean insisted on, and I am pretty sure I mentioned this in the very first lecture.

Did I, or did I not, tell you that this course would only qualify you for pacifying fluffy bunny paradises due to the mildness of the settings? I believe I did! This is NOT a simulation of a dangerous universe, much less of a universe that would challenge your average graduate World Conqueror or Pacifier, and certainly not the university's Paradox Chair of Conquest.

Poor Moij-Huxxgans! If only the glitch in the coding of the universe hadn't done them in...

I wasn't even asleep. I was still listening. I just had my head in my arms. It would've risen by the time war was talked about anyway.

Why aren't the Alarians in the simulation smart enough to poison the food they gave to the marauders?
Because they are friendly, spiritual do-gooders, not murderous rabble.

Will the Composer's modifications to the Alpha-Alarians reach the Beta-Alarians through their inbreeding?
In real life yes. In the simulation, no. Blame the CS department - they don't know enough about breeding.

Me walking back into the room with my third arm in a sling after A-328:

“Let’s see - extreme risk of it backfiring; yes of course it would in real life but the simulation is too prudish for that; and all the other scientists have always wanted to do this and are cheering them on.”
Author: That's a good explanation as any I've read. :D

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
"Silence in class! 5 demerits." answers the teacher, and grumbles, "silly students always worry about the wrong threats."
"Apologies, Professor, but I was only following your instructions," @Chac1 responded. "Now, I'm more confused than ever, if that is possible."

"Apologies, Professor, but I was only following your instructions," @Chac1 responded. "Now, I'm more confused than ever, if that is possible."
A sudden pain in his eyes distract Chac1, as his vision fades to grey, and then to black, an utter darkness darker than the darkest night he has ever known, and he's just about to begin some quality panicking when light appears... in the form of the letter "T" written in stars on an 8x8 grid, that enters the darkness from the right and starts moving left through his field of vision, followed by yet more pain and a second letter, a "h", and a third, and then...

Chac1's marvel is almost enough to dispel the pain, as he realizes that against the darkness a scrolling ticker-tape of 8x8 letters appear, one at a time, each letter entering with a series of intense stabs of pain as if the world's smallest tattooist was at work carefully crafting the letter on his retina, which admittedly seems unlikely unless his retina is scrolling, but he fights through the pain as he realizes that the letters make words, and the words make sense, and this is what he reads:

Student WILL be quiet. The professor told you to slap HistoryDude. Not to interrupt the class. Disrespecting the professor violates protocol. Proper behaviour enforced by Bob. This message will self destruct in 5 seconds. In case of ocular damage consult the infirmary."

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
A sudden pain in his eyes distract Chac1, as his vision fades to grey, and then to black, an utter darkness darker than the darkest night he has ever know, and he's just about to begin some quality panicking when light appears... in the form of the letter "T" written in stars on an 8x8 grid, that enters the darkness from the right and starts moving left through his field of vision, followed by yet more pain and a second letter, a "h", and a third, and then...

Chac1's marvel is almost enough to dispel the pain, as he realizes that against the darkness a scrolling ticker-tape of 8x8 letters appear, one at a time, each letter entering with a series of intense stabs of pain as if the world's smallest tattooist was at work carefully crafting the letter on his retina, which admittedly seems unlikely, but he fights through the pain as he realizes that the letters make words, and the words make sense, and this is what he reads:

Student WILL be quiet. The professor told you to slap HistoryDude. Not to interrupt the class. Disrespecting the professor violates protocol. Proper behaviour enforced by Bob. This message will self destruct in 5 seconds. In case of ocular damage consult the infirmary."
Gloomily, @Chac1 gathers his belongings and heads to the infirmary. The message is so long, his eyesight is definitely now impaired.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lecture the Seventh: 2260-2270 New
Galactic Pacification for Dummies

Lecture the Seventh: 2260-2270

Welcome, class!

This is it.

2200-2240 I carefully sowed the seeds of future greatness, preparing the way for an empire much greater than the sum of its parts.

2240-2260 I reaped that harvest and raised United After All to dominate three quarters of the galaxy, including most of the younger species, waging no wars and committing only one xenocide, and that one excusable due to simulator dysfunction.

That, my students, is just the beginning.

This economy and technology wouldn't stand up to even a medium-strength crisis, and while the only one on offer is a weak 1.5x crisis set earliest for 2350 making this a complete non-issue as even an undergraduate would easily be able to handle that with 90 years to go and this economy, wouldn't it be nice if it could?

Because when you are out in the real world, pacifying a galaxy, there is no such thing as safe settings and guaranteed fluffy bunny paradises.

No matter how persuasive your employer is when he explains that the reason for your disgustingly low fee is the lack of threat, he might be wrong.

Whether he's honestly mistaken or lying makes little difference when an unstoppable force sweeps across the galaxy, worlds glowing briefly in its wake before they fall forever silent, and you look to the forces available to you and realize that it is time to leave your chosen people to suffer the consequences of your massive failure, and that you probably aren't going to earn a bonus for this one.

So join me now as United Under All embarks on the great project which will dominate the next several decades and prepare it to face all possible threats: Ascension.

Ascension

Ascension theory, planetary ascension, and the ascensionists civic is old hat to you.

You learned about it as undergraduates and either promptly forgot about it or, for the dedicated few, began training to master minimal empire size highly ascensionist empires.

Those of you belonging to the latter category might be thinking that the current empire controls too much territory and too many colonies, but shrink it by handing territory off to vassals and then start planetary ascension of the best worlds and you'll end up with something pretty strong.

And you'd be right.

But such limited vision is not suited for masters of Global Pacification.

My goal is to ascend the galaxy! Unite all its sentient beings, body and soul:
  1. I want all governments to be spiritualist and xenophile, fanatic in one of the two ethics
  2. I want all governments to have the same civics as United After All: Ascensionists, Dimensional Worship, and Efficient Bureaucracy
  3. I want all governments to be extremely stable, unaffected by rebellions
  4. I want all governments to have high level leaders
  5. I want all governments to control worlds that are not hopelessly developed
  6. I want all governments to know most technology that isn't helpfully labelled as repeatable “futuristic” tech
  7. I want all governments to have high unity output with which to ascend planets
  8. I want all governments subject to the Luminary
  9. I want to unite the Alarian people as never before, by concentrating the bulk of the population on fully ascended ecumenopolises, ring worlds, and large Gaia worlds

This is a daunting task, but I am not dismayed.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to integrate all other empires, rebuild their planets, teach the populations the value of ethics, and then release them as vassals once United After All knows most technology, most definitely including Capacity Boosters to allow them to recruit higher level leaders.

This is – to put it mildly – a poor fit with immediately significantly reducing empire size by shedding territory and focusing on performing planetary ascension as an undergraduate minimal empire size strategy would call for.

Oh, it could be done, by focusing on the Alarians first, splitting up their current empire, ascending it by parts, and only after that was done start working oh the rest of the galaxy, but it lacks elegance and is inefficient.

But fear not!

It is very amenable to a more gradual staged approach, and that is what I am going to teach you.

I'll make one single exception: I am not going to dissolve the Wholesale Redemption corporation. It already has the right ethics and has proven itself a stable corporation serving the needs of the Holy Covenant. Furthermore I support its scientific progress, so if I ever despair of it reaching the pinnacle I can always increase its subsidies.

2260: Ascending the Neighbourhood
IFFFti.jpg

For the first stage, integrating the Velutarian and Fellnoll Coalitions and then spending a decade or two re-educating them while I rebuild their poorly developed worlds and finish traditions makes sense. I will also use this time to further develop the new worlds in the old Moij-Huxxgan space.

If all goes well, two or three decades from now, all three areas should be ready to be released at vassals with the right ethics and civics, decently developed worlds, an ethically compatible population, leaders benefiting from capacity boosters, and in possession of most technology that isn't.

As for planetary ascension, the plan is to finish traditions and then stockpile unity until I am able to move most of the population to ecumenopolises to seriously reduce empire size with every single ascension and hence seriously reduce the cost of every ascension. Depending on circumstances I might wait until I have released the Velutarian and Fellnoll vassals as well as whatever vassal I created out of the old Moij-Huxxgan territories.

What was that about Power Concerns?

There are two looming issues that must be addressed:
  1. The Chosen
  2. Fallen Empire Neighbours

With regards to the first, I am not comfortable leaving them alone for much longer. In a decade they will probably have reached 100k fleet power, perhaps more – certainly not much less. Integrating the Fellnoll and Velutarians will undoubtedly provide significant fleets and the federation can call upon more, but nevertheless I should build up the hunter fleet more to ensure I have a strong central component to call upon.

This can also be used to hunt down spaceborne menaces.

With regards to the Fallen Empires, the uncomfortable truth is that both the Quentian Confederacy and Vivisandian Prime are very close to the xenophobic Fallen Empire, and Vivisandian Prime is expanding in the direction of the spiritualist Fallen Empire's holy worlds... Currently, they wouldn't dream of offending either Fallen Empire, but if Joyful After All grows too powerful, they will dare and I will have to deal with the war caused by their provocation.

I would prefer for that to happen before I am ready to deal with it.

This means that I both want to strengthen the fleet available to me considerably, but not risk the fleet available to the federation being increased enough to tempt foolhardy vassals.

This argues against subjugating the Zelvan Polity, the United Huvitu-Zaan Coalition, and the Jakly Star Bloc and its dependencies for now despite the great economic benefits they would bring. They are simply too strong for me to dare incorporate them now.

The Dar-hesh Administration, which is a smaller power, can probably be safely contained within the vassal-Federation, making them a natural candidate for absorption before the fleet build-up.

It isn't as if I am lacking other opportunities to spend influence. I have had orbital rings as a research option for the longest time and have a decent engineering science output, so perhaps it is time to put a ring on it.

Likewise, I'll hopefully soon be able to restore Relic Worlds, and that's 200 influence each, and perhaps it is time to propose more of my own measures in the galactic council, and how about creating a hyper relay network? Once I research it, at any rate. I have passed on the tech previously, but it will show up soon enough, I have no doubt.

2260: Recruitment: So close, but no cigar
From this point on I am mostly looking for spiritualist bureaucrat Prospectorium Extractors (who can become Shroud Preachers) and bureaucrat Scholarium Investigators (Truth Seeker, Shroud Preacher if spiritualist, though highlevel near-perfect council candidates will be hired if they are better than the existing ones. These are few and far between but occasionally they will turn up as I get more advanced vassals to level 2.

2260: Nearly Perfect External Official
ZSmbDn.jpg

Except for one minor detail, Yndana the Silverfox would be the perfect official to groom for high-level work on a forge world. Level 4, Unifier 2, Prospectorium Refiner, and a Delegate specialization. Too bad that his specialization makes him useless.

It will undoubtedly take some time, but since I both have a chance to receive such in the external recruitment pool and can recruit directly from my Prospectoriums and Scholariums if they have hired somebody suitable, this should work out well in the long run.

The biggest issue is the slow levelling of officials, but once I get capacity boosters and start releasing vassals everybody worth recruiting will start at medium to high levels.

I should perhaps note an advanced tactic unlikely to be considered by undergraduate morons: Buying one or more, perhaps all, of an advanced vassal's leaders to force them to recruit a new batch of leaders, that then becomes available to you. This can be a bit expensive, but it is one way to ensure turnover. It can also be used to help a vassal if it employs leaders that are so bad you think it deserves better by recruiting their deadbeats.

2260: Entertainment Nexus: Contortionist Delights

2260: Rocky Contortionist Sample
FUfGHy.jpg

I am not going to telliyou about all of the astral rifts I explore, but I mention this one because of its most useful outcome – the Contortionist Edict that generates rare crystals from minerals. While quite useful in general, this is especially useful for the Priesthood tech build since upgraded temples and ecclesiastical districts on arcologies all require rare crystals, so one way or another I will require a lot of rare crystals as I pursue ascension.

2260.04.11: Dissidents on the Rise: Accusation

Remember the mounting opposition to the First Ascendant's benevolent rule noted in 2256? The one tracked in the “Dissidence on the Rise” situation?

It is back with a vengeance.

2260: Accusations
5FVX01.jpg

Such problems must be dealt with decisively, and the best way is to counter the claims where possible, which relies heavily on moral authority and the unity of the people, and on paying off people to see the bright side where not.

2261.10.08: Engineering Tech Dilemma

This is an interesting tech choice. The military techs can wait, but Anti-Gravity Engineering will allow the restoration of Relic Worlds for a high mineral and influence cost, while Nano-Separators are essential for a better alloy economy.

2260: Restoration of Relic World's When?
NeA1MY.jpg

I would benefit immediately from improving the alloy economy, while it would take some time to even get started on restoring a Relic World, possible delaying until several years after completing the tech, so based on this it would seem that Nano-Separators are clearly the better choice at this point.

But try rephrasing the question and the answer differs: Which of the two would I most regret NOT taking if it didn't show up again within the next 5-10 years

The answer is obvious Anti-Gravity Engineering, as I will surely want to begin restoring at least one Relic World within the decade if at all possible.

2262.01.13: Voting on Galactic Council

My vassal the Rak-Rak Librarians helpfully proposed my #1 choice for the next resolution, forming a Galactic Council, sparing me the expense.

2262: Overwhelming support
HFSPhh.jpg

2262.07.29: Near Disaster

Sometime during the last decades, I must have misclicked one of the interminable popups asking to change Joyful After All's succession challenge type from Spiritual Conclave to Arena Combat.

This is one of those things that should not happen, and, in reality, can't happen. In real life laws aren't passed simply by clicking “accept”, there'd be paperwork, the Luminary would ask me if was out of my mind and might outright forbid the law change, and if nothing else all the news agencies would cover this startling development, making it impossible for this to happen without my noticing.

But in the simulation? Misclicks happens.

2262: N people enter, 1 person leaves
pa4XVA.jpg

Fortunately the First Ascendant vigorously murdered the leaders of every vassal state, assuring a return to the status quo, and – in the simulation at least – everybody was fine with that.

Excepting, one would suspect, the simulated dissenters agitating against the excesses of her government.

At least the federation will reach high centralization before the end of the new 40 year succession term, at which point I will set the succession type to Strongest with a term that only ends on Status Change, which will be never.

2262: Vassal Developments

The Velutarian integrated is complete and at first glance their worlds are a complete mess. The capital is isolated, the other worlds are poorly developed, and many of the POPs are jingoistic militarists. This will take some time to address.

2262: One of us, one of us!
SdxCrp.jpg

Next up is changing the Felnoll terms to allow integration without pissing them off too much, subjugating the Dar Hesh Administration with lenient terms as their trust isn't that high yet, and beginning the integration of the Fellnoll Coalition.

2262: Serve me and prosper!
ltUQE6.jpg

2262: Integrate this!
kGZ3GP.jpg

By the end of the year, the vassal situation is fully under control but I may need to buy loyalty from the Fellnoll occasionally during integration to keep them loyal. Which is not strictly required, as even disloyal they are unlikely to rise in arms, but better safe than sorry.

2262: Vassals Aplenty
PYvO21.jpg

In other developments in 2262, I completed the Harmony tradition tree and pick the Arcology ascension perk, a great choice if I say so myself since one of the two first candidates for ecumenopolises once I can afford it is the capital Home After All, the second being the Rubricator, as they are both highly developed and highly populated.

2262: Traditions
HcjfgN.jpg

Also, on a lighter note...

2262: Novel Solution to Organic Singularity
1FZpwa.jpg

2263.05.04: Ascension Theory, the Odds

Now, I am sure some of you are asking yourselves, and if not, you should, given that United After All has completed 6 tradition groups, how soon can it research Ascension Theory?

Good question!

The answer is... it depends. The empire became eligible at the end of last year, and society tech progression is swift, so surely it can't be that long time? Guess again. It is one of the rarest techs in the game.

2263: “techweights soc” shows you the odds at this point
Ur8Tos.jpg

Taking ruthless advantage of the simulation to calculate the odds for us may be helpful to those of you with a deficient mathematical education, and we see that the Ascension Theory has a weight of 22 at a time when most alternatives have weights in the hundreds or even thousands, giving it very roughly a 0.2% chance of being picking on any one society tech pick of which we currently get 6 per draw due to two inquisitors on the council.

Given the way technological progress works in most universes including the simulated one, that means that if I research 6 T4 techs before I gain Ascendancy Theory, from that point on Ascension Theory will be competing not only with the remaining T1-T4 techs, but T5 and repeatable techs as well.

This leads me to two conclusions:
  1. I will avoid researching T4 society techs unless they are critical and will do my best to gain access to Ascension Theory by exhausting faster T1-T3 techs until it is offered. I will NOT research more than 5 T4 society techs
  2. I will pay a Scholarium for Scholarium Hypothesis to increase the number of picks per tech draw to 7; I haven't felt the need for it earlier due to my inquisitors, now I do

2264.01.01: Dissidents on the Rise: The Price of Truth

Certain promises and perfectly legal actions undertaken by the First Ascendant for the good of the people, that are subject to misunderstanding by the credulous, have become public and, unsurprisingly, the opposition has misunderstood them and are presenting them as “proof” of the First Ascendant's lies.

2264: The Price of Truth is increased security spending
JfFiax.jpg

Since moral authority is insufficient to address lies, every denial being seen as confirmation, addressing this issue is costly. Nothing that selling a few stockpiled resources won't easily cover, though.

2264: The Hunter, Hunted

I complete excavating the Rubricator archaeology site and, as all students who have been paying attention is eagerly anticipating, this summons Shard the Dragon, eater of the rat civilization that once called the world home.

2264: Dragon on the prowl
TbzweR.jpg

How the Alarians failed to notice this dragon during the decades of inhabiting Rubricator and monitoring the system is anybody's guess.

But what's that hiding in cloak? It is the mighty hunter fleet with an impressive 11.4k fleetpower.... Now, I know what you are thinking. 11.4k fleetpower against a SPACE DRAGON? Isn't that a bit underwhelming?

Were they corvettes, it definitely would be. But this is the hunter fleet. 90 torpedo frigates with state of the art T2 torpedoes, missiles, and armour.

2264: Preparing the Ambush
TqVOWT.jpg

2264: The Dragon's Demise
mhtzRj.jpg

10 frigates is a fair price to pay for eliminating that old menace.

2264.05.27: Benevolent Composer Evolves Velutarians

2264: Just one of joys of life with the Composer
VNfgul.jpg

2264: Alarians Adopt Climate Friendly Solution

With advances in genetic modification, the Alarians decide it is time to experiment on themselves on a scale.

All Beta-Alarians throughout the empire are modified to fit the climate of the planet they live on. Surely the Composer of Strands must look upon his favoured children with joy.

2264: 36 Continental POPs coming right up!
c51H9a.jpg

2264.12.12: Anomaly Investigations

I finally completed surveying the galaxy by 2262, after which I fired every surplus scientist and told Unstudious Conclusion's to begin investigation anomalies.

2264: Amusement Park provides Research
l4ocDM.jpg

She has been working around the clock since 2262 and is expected to do so for years to come. With 53 science ships spread across the galaxy, there is always one perfectly positioned within 1-2 days flight of another anomaly when she concludes an investigation, allowing her to teleport to another ship to begin a new investigation immediately.

2266.01.01: A Dirge for the Shard

Shard's Leviathan parade pays off nicely with 101k unity.

2266: End of the Leviathan Parade
cMj4MY.jpg

2266.01.08: Arcology Project on Home After All

At long last I begin the great project of turning the beautiful ocean planet that was the birth-place of the Alarians into a monument to concrete, steel, and interesting alloys!

2266: Begun the Arcology Project has!
C5sfQI.jpg

Next up: Rubricator in about two year's time.

2267-2268: The Eldritch Horror, Horrified

So, I've had an archaeologist excavate Golba Iva, once home to a civilization that died in horror and left remains the persisted against all known laws of nature. Several barriers were overcome, up to and increasing what appeared a desperate warning saying, in essence, “Sealed Evil in a Can: Do Not Open![/b] Since the system was otherwise worthless, what's the worst that could happen?

2267: “Open the can. It is likely just harmless talk”
otiDad.jpg

2267: Oops.
pdqwIn.jpg

Whatever it is they released, it has blown up all the planets in the system and the sun isn't in a good state either. The system's station did not fare any better.”

2267: Let me think about it: How about “No?”
dLpm84.jpg

2268: The Hunter Fleet arrives
Ep4IOo.jpg

2268: Attacking from Cloak
OWULZZ.jpg

2268: Victory! Alarians 1: Elder One 22
icdSCd.jpg

I suffered more significant casualties than I suffered killing the space dragon despite the significantly enlarged hunter fleet, but in the hierarchy of threats Eldritch Horror > Giant Flying Space Lizard, so perhaps that was to be expected.

So, what do I gain from this? A special research project that will lead to jump drives...

2268: Study this!
24CsQb.jpg

and an opportunity for a parade. The scientists claims that displaying the Horrific Inverse Mass they somehow managed to extract from where the Eldritch Horror manifested is a perfectly safe operation and will truly impress the people on Rubricator, but I disagree.

2268: Relocate!
7Tti6k.jpg

2268: This is better.
MObaa1.jpg

Those of you have have read Banach's treatise on the properties of Eldritch Horrors will understand why, but really, the fact that they are described as Eldritch Horrors in the first place should clue you in, if not.

They are not safe.

Defeating a Horror and trying to make sense of how it damages reality is alluring, promising great rewards, but most often it ends up in tears with everybody nearby dead if they are lucky, and wishing they were dead if not.

Hence the choice of a planet that if the experiment succeeds can be turned into highly valuable ecumenopolis, and if it fails is no great loss.

2268-2269: Space Hulk Sighted

As the Alarians succesfully activated an ancient gateway, the first of several such within Joyful Union After All space, a truly enormous ship of an unknown design emerged from it.

2268: Danger! Do not Disturb
lEvRxC.jpg

2268: Aw, shucks. Board it. What's the worst that could happen?
KBmlCk.jpg

2269: Sure, We'll Repair It!
eGZH9X.jpg

2268: Fellnoll Integration Affects Budget

So the good news is that the integration of the Fellnoll early this year went off without a hitch and the lot of them are now enrolled in sensitivity classes. I'm sure the dean would approve.

The bad news is that the addition of their fleet is causing a bit of a budget crisis. I could disband the fleet, of course, but that would be a waste. Much better to expend it crushing the Chosen one day soon.

So I institute some monthly trades stabilizing the economy for now. This could be done more profitably trading directly with other nations, but as I am acting like a lazy student I just set up some market trades.

2268: Food and Exotic Resources for Sale!
vpYL0o.jpg

I will also upgrade all the starbases I inherited, turning them into anchorages, and expand those of my current anchorages that aren't at maximum yet.

So about those chosen.... I know where all the wormholes are, but willy-nilly opening them all over the place, while effective, might not be the best way to go around things. Much better to divide the map into regions and explore the wormholes in a region, while my fleets are nearby, then move on to the next. So that is what I am going to do.

2268: Wormhole Exploration Order
DxN95E.jpg

Looks like a plan to me.

A quick tally shows that I can devote about 100k fleetpower to the project with a few trade-patrollers left over. They have a variety of designs that don't necessarily work well together, and taken together with the likely scale of the Chosen threat attacking them now might be lead to a protracted war requiring the arrival of federation fleets to win.

Better, then, to take the time to upgrade the inherited Fellnoll fleets and to increase the size of the Hunter Fleet while also issuing it the newly developed T3 torpedo, and then start investigating wormholes in 2-3 years.

2268-2269: Ascension Theory!

O frabjous day! I have researched 15 T1-T3 society techs and 2 T4 in the five years and 4 months since I showed you the odds back in 2263, and I finally got lucky.

2268: Ascension Theory at last
pdrCec.jpg

By now the odds were around 0.5% per pick, so with 7 picks that meant 1-(1-0.5%)^7 ~ 3.4% chance of appearing in a draw. So though the odds were rapidly increasing, it could easily have taken several more years of researching the remaining T1-T3 techs – especially as most T1s and T2s were researched by now, leading to a longer churn time.

Research takes only a year after which I finally gain access to Unity Ambitions, but I will cover that together with edicts in the end-of-decade report.

2268.10.08: More Wormholes!

As if I didn't have enough wormholes to explore, Unstudious Conclusion decides to pull the lever on an alien wormhole-creation machine. These things happen.

2270: At least this one ought to be safe
vSCC8j.jpg

2268.12.09: Rogue Scientist Consolidates Power

2268: Nobody saw it coming! NOT!
1t94D2.jpg

2269.09.01: Eldritch Horror Parade Completed

2269: That seemed safe enough
dpbd8H.jpg

2269.12.23: Webwork

Just barely managing to squeak it into today's lecture, Unstudious Conclusion reaches level 7 and teleports to a ship that has long awaited her arrival.

2269: Just One Anomaly More
0XaCAj.jpg

Year 2270, the Fruits of Diplomacy

Still going strong.

2270: Empire Size is finally smaller than the number of POPs
J0CHIo.jpg

2270: Cherish an Alarian Day Celeberated Galaxywide!
FhY4br.jpg

2270: 26 Months Remaining
hEsesy.jpg

My economic dominance is now so strong that despite their overwhelming military and technological might, three out of four fallen empires are rated as overall inferior.

Even though I only issue orders every few years queuing up several buildings, 66 colonies under direct control is definitely stretching it where my tolerance for micromanagement in this course is concerned. I append > for colonies that haven't been upgraded to an administration (10), + for those that haven't been upgraded to capital (25), and this helps keep order.

Economically controlling this many systems and colonies makes sense, but it is getting to be a chore. Thankfully I will shed many of them once they are civilized and ready to be released as responsible vassals.

Year 2270, Planetary Development

2270: Home After All is being upgraded
YIL4Wo.jpg

The Arcology project is coming along nicely and I have just completed an Orbital Ring upgrade to level 2, which means I can add an upgrade to its consumer goods production.

2270: Maaz Prime is Representative
FERnIJ.jpg

With around 20 POPs, divided mainly between two telepaths and a bunch of priests, researchers, prosperity preachers, and the occasional worker job I used to boost POP numbers to 25 and forgot to get rid of later on, Maaz Prime is very representative.

2270: Megamine Expands Mining
KmpVOW.jpg

Most of my own production of basic resources comes from worlds where I forgot to delete worker districts or the worlds that are under active develop for turning into vassals, but Mistaken After All and Megamine are the two exceptions to the rule: I have decided to build Megamine into a maximized mining world, complete with mining orbital ring, fully staffed and with a massive mineral output, and once I have done that?

Well, then I will give it to Wholesale Redemption out of the goodness of my heart.

2270: Mistake After All Not Energy Mecca Yet
9H83ZK.jpg

The planet has a long way to go. And way too many city districts.

Year 2270, State of the Empire

2270: First Ascendant and Empire
pSLVuG.jpg

2270: Traditions are all done
OwgnhA.jpg

2270: Technological progress is fine
Ng87ZC.jpg

2270: Last Researched Technologies
kKhg9S.jpg

2270: Unity Ambitions are Awesome
DpVk1w.jpg

2270: Council is Evolving the Society... Presumably somebody has to
PPG0Rc.jpg

The Research Ratio

As stated last lecture, I will from now on be looking at the normalized research ratio that ignores research agreements as only a few techs still benefit from them.

Ratio_particles = 3902*(1+135%%)/(1+129%) = 4004
Ratio_biology = 3535*(1+120%)/(1+129%) = 3396
Ratio_materials = 2025*(1+127%)/(1+129%) = 2007

The ratios in 2260 were 2111, 1909, 1098 respectively, which means that tech progression has almost doubled for physics and engineering, with a smaller but still huge increase for society progression.

The 2270 Save File

Can be downloaded from this Dropbox link for those who want to look at the situation or play around from this point.

---​

Author's note

That arena combat came as a complete surprise. There I was, merrily passing the time, when I got the alert that there'd be a death match soon.

I still don't know how I misclicked or overlooked the proposal and thus ended up changing the succession challenge type, but I was strongly reminded of how I hate the “please change this succession law” spam so common in federations.

Would I have accepted the result of the arena battle and played on in the case of a loss or would I have reloaded? I honestly don't know. Accepting it would have made a pretty awesome unexpected story hook, but it would also have derailed the Under One Rule storyline.

On the positive side, I am really enjoying the small changes to the Diplomacy tradition group in 3.11. Getting another +2 federation XP per month per member that has completed the diplomacy traditions does wonders for levelling federations quickly.

Also, I apparently forgot to screenshot the third step of the Dissidents on the Rise, where you once again pay unity to avoid worsening the Luminary growth trait. Rest assured that I had the unity to spare.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The Luminary beating up everyone else to establish her authority is hilarious, though.

These Forgotten clearly don't understand the benefits of the current status quo.

How long will you avoid integrating the empires near the xenophobe Fallen Empire? They must be integrated eventually if the galaxy is to be pacified and ascended.

Could the Alarians use the genetic benefits the Composer of Strands grants as an argument for why other empires should become their vassals?

I want all governments to control worlds that are not hopelessly developed
"Professor," Jak raised his hand, "what does this mean? When you say 'hopelessly' does that mean 'ludicrously' or 'dirt poor'?"

But such limited vision is not suited for masters of Global Pacification.
Jak wonders to himself, "Are we all going to pay the price for a lack of vision?"

The Luminary beating up everyone else to establish her authority is hilarious, though.
...Only in a simulation.

How long will you avoid integrating the empires near the xenophobe Fallen Empire? They must be integrated eventually if the galaxy is to be pacified and ascended.
They will ideally be integrated before I reach a power level sufficient to make them attempt building outposts adjacent to the Xenophobes or colonizing the holy worlds of the Spiritualists. The xenophobes are the weakest of the Fallen Empires so those of primary concern.

Could the Alarians use the genetic benefits the Composer of Strands grants as an argument for why other empires should become their vassals?
They could and undoubtedly do, but the economic benefits of being part of the biggest unified trading & defense bloc in the galaxy rather speaks for itself.

"Professor," Jak raised his hand, "what does this mean? When you say 'hopelessly' does that mean 'ludicrously' or 'dirt poor'?"
I mean developed badly with little specialization.

Jak wonders to himself, "Are we all going to pay the price for a lack of vision?"
A gong sounds, shattering Jak's thoughts. Looking around in bewilderment, he sees his fellow students still sleeping, apart from Chac1 who appears to be sneaking up on VILenin to sacrifice him, Lord Durham, who is playing an air guitar, badly out of tune, and a few awake strivers at the front of the class.

Nobody else appears to have noticed the gong. It must be one of those unexplained phenomena.

Reactions:
A gong sounds, shattering Jak's thoughts. Looking around in bewilderment, he sees his fellow students still sleeping, apart from Chac1 who appears to be sneaking up on VILenin to sacrifice him, Lord Durham, who is playing an air guitar, badly out of tune, and a few awake strivers at the front of the class.
"Foiled again," @Chac1 muttered, "but I wasn't going to sacrifice him, I swear. Maybe only tickle him hard until he agrees to start writing his AAR again."

Then Chac thought for a moment and paused.

"How do you like my new look, Professor? After my trip to the infirmary, my appearance has changed quite a bit. The nurse told me I could trade one of my damaged eyes for greater wisdom."

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 11.47.57 PM.png

(I see you recognized me despite the changes, Professor but likely @Peter Ebbesen knows who I'm truly emulating now.
Likely, I will remind him of someone who could have fit in to one of his older AARs.)
Then Chac settled back into his desk, thinking he wasn't sure if his record could take any more demerits.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"How do you like my new look, Professor? After my trip to the infirmary, my appearance has changed quite a bit. The nurse told me I could trade one of my damaged eyes for greater wisdom."
Jak's tone is grave, "That nurse sounds more like a witch to me! Careful Chac, you never know with magic!

On a lighter note, he says, "I do love the look though! But if this school has uniforms then the prof might not approve." He glanced at the teacher whose expression was unreadable.

Just then, a raven flew by and perched at the window. It stared at Chac with almost sentient curiosity. Jak shuddered, he didn't like the look of it.

"As long as it doesn't start saying 'Nevermore!'" he thought.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Note: the AAR continues on the 3.11.3 branch. The next chapter should be ready later today or tomorrow.

Lecture the Eighth: 2270-2280 New

Lecture the Eighth: 2270-2280

Welcome, Class

Today's lecture is mostly concerned with internal development and the long anticipated war with the Chosen.

But first, a few words about optimization.

Minor Relics, Optimized

You may have heard that premature optimization is the root of all evil, and though the Hell-lords of Tar-Ruthal might disagree, there is a great deal of truth to it. There is a lot to be said for focusing on strategy and overarching principles, and it is so very easy to get so caught up in optimization of details that one loses sight of bigger issues.

But while premature optimization might be bad, just-in-time optimization can help a lot. Consider the case of the minor relics.

So far I have done what I expect most students would do in the same circumstances, expending minor relics on celebrating diversity, proclaiming religious revelations, selling them when funds are tight, using them for management insight peaceful applications for increased XP gain, and finally arcane deciphering.

What I have not done is exhibit them in museums. It is fiddly micromanagement, it is somewhat expensive, and one thing with the other, it is easy to overlook.

It is also +20% priest output for 100 minor relics, and while that might be a weak effect in most empire builds, it is a strong effect for the priesthood tech build when applied to a planet with many priests.

2270: Exhibit Artifacts in Museums on Home After All
OAFssi.jpg

So my strategy of not excavating most archaeological sites until I had surveyed most of the universe and scientist levels were high, such that excavations were rapid? Good so far as it went, but it meant I only got a significant minor relic income late and case can be made that having somebody excavate sites two or three decades earlier, creating a strong minor relic income to use for museum exhibitions on the best worlds, would have been as good or perhaps even better strategy.

I am not sure it is, but it might have been.

Whatever the case might be, it is definitely time to start doing so now. From this day forward I'll prioritize spending minor relics on boosting the priest output on all worlds with a high number of priests.

2271.05.23: Rogue Scientist Retrieved

The rogue scientist on Briscoll 3 has been retrieved and sent for psychiatric evaluation, but not without unfortunate collateral damage. Fortunately he didn't manage to force-advance them past the machine age, so they will have time to get over his loss, and in decades to come, perhaps centuries, when they finally take to the stars he'll be nothing but a dim memory.

2271: A surgical operation, they promised...
NngRkT.jpg

2271.07.01: Dissidence on the Rise: Enough is Enough

The First Ascendant has had enough! Protests have turned violent and are no longer restricted to fringe elements, and this will not do. Equally worrying, large parts of the population are in general agreement that the imperial government is acting with too heavy a hand and, she concedes, they might have a point. While some of the protesters are bad actors encouraged by her political enemies, most are likely misguided and amenable to reason.

Perhaps the new empire is too restrictive of personal freedoms, and the better way it to act with a light hand restraining the protests while working on enacting constitutional freedoms meeting some of the protester's demands to de-escalate and restore order.

2271: Undaunted After All is Naive After All
Gx8qSI.jpg

2271: But not Stupid After All. It worked!
RjmuYc.jpg

2272.03.09: Federation level 4, new laws

Time to change succession type to strongest. I set the succession power such that the strongest military will be chosen, but in a certain sense it does not matter. United After All will always be stronger in ALL of the metrics than any of the vassals. Choosing leader by fleet power is solely for convenience in the simulation, since it means that the federation panel shows all members' fleet power sorted, giving me a quick and easily accessibly overview of the military available to Joyful Union After All can muster.

2272: Federation Laws
xuiW7l.jpg

2272.04.12: Arcology Preparations

With work on turning Home After All and Rubricator into ecumenopolises proceeding apace, it is past time to begin clearing Fen Habbanis' blockers and restoring Jasmak, the size 30 relic world.

2272: Fen Habbanis has 11 blockers to clear
ez04jk.jpg

2272: Jasmak is ready for conversion
C3xuj7.jpg

2272.05.11: Burden of Leadership, Dodged

I get worrying news that the First Ascendant is overburdened and acquires a negative trait.

2272: Nooo, she's Undaunted, Not Fearful!
1oe594.jpg

Fortunately, I can ignore this as it is the result of a PEBKAC in the computer sciences department.

Uniquely, a Luminary is a person so perfect that regardless of circumstances she can only have one negative trait. Since Undaunted After All is naive this outcome is impossible.

Whomever handled writing the Luminary events in the situation didn't know this, hence this event, while whomever handled granting new traits to a Luminary did, hence the outcome of the event being disregarded.

2273.01.08: Nominating the Custodian (Guess who)

Since I am primarily spending influence on foreign politics this decade, it is time to get serious. More than half of the community consists of the members of Joyful Union After all so it is past time to claim official leadership to guide the rest of the community.

2273: Vote United After All for a Better Tomorrow
gE8lQF.jpg

2273.07.01: Dacha, the Planet Storage

Finally we uncover the secrets of the missing planets in the Helito system – a remote hyperlane leading to Dacha, a system with an astonishing six inhabited gaia worlds.

2273: Dacha is a Most Unusual System
3yfhR6.jpg

Early reports indicate that the three planets circling the central star are probably native to the system, while the two planets circling Dacha C are likely to be the missing planets from Helito, while the huge size 25 planet circling Dacha B is from somewhere else entirely. The planets are inhabited by pre-FTL civilizations.

Just what happened here?

2273.12.09: Wormhole Exploration

Having finally reached a force level deemed sufficient to hold off a Chosen attack if not, perhaps, sufficient to winning a swift victorious war, I decided late this year that it was time to start exploring wormholes in accordance with the priority list presented at the start of the last lecture while continuing to build up forces.

The first three targets were in the galactic south-east in systems under my control and within easy reach of my fleets. If these wormholes did not lead to the Chosen, hopefully they would provide helpful shortcuts to more distant parts of the galaxy.

I have placed the hunter fleet, which is by far the strongest force available to me, near the wormhole closest to my capital and most of the rest of my fleet near the second wormhole in Bora Baba. A third significant fleet of corvettes currently in the process of being upgraded is stationed further to the galactic west in the old Fellnoll territories. The third wormhole is in Aesir is a long way from any valuable systems so a connection there would give me a long time to summon forces from the other locations.

However, already the second wormhole explored, in Bora Baba, turned out to be the right one.

2273: The Chosen: Equal Opportunity Haters
YDJOTs.jpg

Thus begins the first war for United After All against an alien civilization, and it could have happened against more deserving guys.

2273: 154.9k Fleet power converging on Bora Baba
tiEkOp.jpg

2273: 95.8k Fleet power Defending
KwRaUO.jpg

So, the good news is that in terms of estimated fleet power in the simulation I outnumber them by three to two.

The bad news is that apart from the Hunter Fleet, the Boggwoss Squadron of modernized corvettes, and, eventually, the modernized Lurggam Squadron, most of the fleets will underperform significantly, being comprised of old corvette designs from a variety of empires bought from the Tinkerers as well as the low-tech Fellnoll and Rak-Rak fleets.

While I would probably win a battle on the offensive pitting all of mine against all of theirs, casualties would be significant and if things went wrong this might result in a battle of attrition, which I would win, but adding several years to campaign. An alternative would be to take point and wait for my vassal's fleets to arrive, but that too would take a long time.

All taken together, it is clear that I should finish modernizing the Lurggam Squadron while beginning a considerable construction program of modern corvettes and frigates. The existing forces will guard against a Chosen attack in Bora Baba supported by the Desperate Measures Unity Ambition.

Give it a year or two, and if the Chosen hasn't ventured into the Bora Baba killing zone by then, it will be time to take the fight to the enemy.

2274.06.23: Skrand, The Lost Paragon

I finally repair the “First Talon”, the mysterious space hulk encountered at the Seginus Gateway, and its commander, Skrand Sharpbeak, offers his services on the unassailable grounds that he, his ship, and his crew were stuck in the gateway for millennia and they have no place to call home.

2274: Repairs done
PZSt6N.jpg

2274: Welcome, Skrand Sharpbeak!
U5tPVN.jpg

Skrand has the Shield of the Empire destiny trait (+45% evasion, +45% fire rate, and +300 shield hit points in friendly systems), Carrier Focus, and a Commanding Presence.

Loath as he is to be parted from his crew, he accepts my order to don a teleportation bracelet and then teleport straight across the galaxy to take control of the Boggwoss Squadron of Modernized corvettes, that immediately boast a wildly inflated fleet power of 75k due to its high evasion.

Do not trust such numbers – excepting weak enemies that lack significant tracking, the squadron did not increase its survivability and destructive potential four-fold because Skrand took over. More powerful, yes. Four-fold as the fleet power would suggest, no.

2274.12.04: Gifts of the Shroud: Psionic Shield

Every since the Alarians embraced psionics, training to produce small psionic barriers for personal protection against falls, accidents, or assault has become popular, but nobody could figure out how to produce shields on a larger scale.

2274: Until Now
4MR1Gx.jpg

2274.12.04: Unstudious Conclusion Level 10, Ends Anomaly Investigations

With only 65 anomalies remaining to be investigated, Unstudious Conclusion reaches level 10. Having raised all scientists except for one council-candidate to level 8, I decide she has earned a rest.

2274: I Know Your Destiny
MHrJsb.jpg

To explore astral rifts instead. She is so skilled that the odds of failure are practically non-existent, but even if she should die while exploring, her fellow scholar Neon Bellevue is now also a Vibrant Storyteller. So long as I only lose one of them, the other will be able to continue the job of levelling the next batch of scientists.

I certainly could continue investigating anomalies now instead, since higher levels for Terrified Slash on the Council or Unwavering After All governing Jasmak would provide a marginal benefit, but in the circumstances I deem it more valuable to leave them for a later generation of leaders... or for when the huge amounts of stored science accumulated during the chained investigations that last years have finally been exhausted.

2275.01.02: Excellent Scientist Recruit

As if to challenge my determination, the simulation presents me with an excellent recruit just days later. Irrepressible Legeteuse is an Alarian scientists working in the Rak-Rak Libararian dependency, a Scholarium trained investigator with a bent for bureaucracy. An ideal replacement for my final explorer scientist.

2275: A Change of Legeteuse: Welcome, Irrepressible. Goodbye, Half-hearted.
tDtYkq.jpg

I decide not to compromise. As a planetary governor in the capital sector he most likely wouldn't provide better benefits than Keides After All's system governor benefits until he reached level 8, and I don't have any significant research planets outside the capital sector currently. So rather than expend many of the finite supply of anomaly investigations on helping him now, when I don't have a great use for what he could provide, I will let him work as a normal trainee for a decade or two first unless I come across several more great scientist candidates in the interim.

2275.02.05: Psionic Shield Research Begun

Three months on from discovering the basics of making ship-sized psionic shields I complete the current society tech and begin researching psionic shields.

2275: 15 months? Psionic research goes brrrrr...
U67Hbi.jpg

2275.02.17: Megamine Rockworms

Megamine, the planet in the Soyun system I am preparing as a gift for Wholesale Redemption, just got better courtesy of an astral rift, from which I liberated a hive of rockworms.

2275: Rockworms are an Invasive Species
OxOt66.jpg

2275: Ambush in Ereba

The time has come. A few months past my gathered fleets blazed through Ithome's gate and into Ereba.

Led by Skrand Sharpbeak in the Boggwoss squadron of 110 modernized corvettes, which the simulation wildly overestimates as 75.4k fleetpower due to extreme evasion, supported by many smaller forces around 9k, and two significant frigate forces, this is a formidable force the Chosen cannot possibly defeat without the aid of fixed system defenses.

Registering the danger, the Chosen fleets withdraw to their capital system, there to make their stand.

And then... A miracle occurred. All the frigates withdrew from the system, for reasons the Chosen could only speculate about, but whatever the reason, the serious weakening of my presence in Ereba presented them with a unique opportunity for defeating the Alarian fleets in detail before the frigates I foolishly detached from the front make their return. Perhaps not a good chance, but the best they were likely to get. So they seized upon it in desperation.

2275: The Rush for Ereba
hyDm9Z.jpg

In their haste they failed to hold formation and one detachment of the fleet got ahead of the rest, but even as the fleet's command to notice of the swarms of corvettes, destroyers, and a few cruisers prepared to fight them right at the hyperlane exit, they remained ignorant of the greater threat.

2275: The Ambush
xheeY3.jpg

The 220 frigates of the hunter fleet, hiding in cloak even as the battle raged around them, awaiting the arrival of the main force of the Chosen.

2275: Torpedo surprise!
szSzX9.jpg

The Chosen inflicted serious damage to many ships before the ambush was sprung, but most of them managed to withdraw from combat. Once the main body of the Chosen fleet was committed, the hunter fleet sprang the ambush and the battle was swiftly won. The tattered remnants of the Chosen fleet escaped into hyperspace making for their capital system.

That left just the mopping up of their worlds with the assault troops already pouring in through Ithome's Gate and sending the bulk of the fleet to the Chosen's capital system to lie in wait to destroy their ravaged fleet when it finally arrived.

2276.01.01: Housekeeping on Conquered Worlds

The Chosen had three space habitats in Ithome's Gate and three gaia worlds in its capital system, Aspharelle, of size 18, 25, and 30. The habitats have fallen and their better defended core worlds await, but even as the Charynoi, for so the Chosen name themselves, are rounded up for identification and mandatory sensitivity classes to better assimilate them, I discern an abomination on the Abundance habitat. This will sot stand.

2276: Purge the Gene Clinic! It is an Abomination unto the Composer of Strands
YN2TVl.jpg

2276.01.08: Home After All Encased

A glorious day has arisen. Where once the world boasted forests, fields, and lakes, oceans, wide plains, and mountains, with animals roaming the wilds and natives cursing the traffic congestion, only highly specialized mass produced buildings remain, covering the surface with the occasional carefully managed park as part of the integrated ecosystem.

In the governor's palace Keides plans a vast expansion of the planet's manufacturing facilities, and throughout the planet serenity prevails as the wild animals are now alll in zoos where they belong, the natives are in their offices with convenient access to cafes and every luxury of modern civilization, and the Luminary is on her throne.

Only the simulation's land-textures need to be updated now, but that can wait.

2276: Alarians Triumphant!
ctiSLi.jpg

2276.03.30: Rogue Scientist Redux

It would appear that the rogue scientist had managed to conceal his major efforts. The Alarians thought that with his retrieval they would have plenty of time to deal with the Briscoll problem.

They were wrong. The pre-ftl natives have with commendable speed advanced from the machine age to the early space age in a mere 5 years and have just blow up the observation post with a nuclear missile, despite its cloaking being impenetrable to them, despite the strength of its hull and armour. All hands lost. An inquiry will be held to determine how they managed this feat.

Meanwhile, the Briscoll III government, the Czymian Society, demands their holy saviour returned.

2276: Always gimme, gimme, gimme
x2XPCT.jpg

The cat is well and truly out of the bag, so what do I do?

They are a pre-ftl – even if they demand I give up the system, there is not much I can do if I refuse. But I am working with the mostly peaceful Alarians, and running roughshod over a lesser species might not – if we depart the classroom and assume this a real setting – sit well with them. Even if I could convince the First Ascendant of the necessity, if this really something to make an issue of?

The rogue scientist has been debriefed and is currently in therapy. Returning him would in a certain sense be exiling him, much to his pleasure and, possibly, the natives of Briscoll III, and given even a small amount of goodwill gained from our magnanimous gesture, now that we are in communications our competent diplomatic corps can surely leverage that to our long-term advantage. They should have no problem talking around the ramblings of the rogue scientist now we have his full updated psychological profile on hand.

2276: Sure, We'll Leave You Alone
58HDZF.jpg

2276: Soonest Done
A543Iz.jpg

2276: Soonest Mended
uJPOnC.jpg

He really should have emphasized the Luminary's uncanny ability of turning foes into friends wishing to be subjugated rather than painting Alarians as demons to be avoided, if he had wanted his mad little experiment to stand a chance.

2276.07.21: Glimpses of the Abyss

In more worrying news than the drama playing out on Briscoll III, the horrific inverse mass on Lastus Prime has destabilized. This warrants further investigation.

2276: Stop screaming!
NOlKCl.jpg

2277.01.22: Tragedy!

Unusual After All, the Second Ascendant, lies dead, having fallen out of a 4th floor window at night, landing in a swimming pool that was unfortunately drained as part of its conversion into an open-air tennis court, just prior to it being filled with cement in the morning.

The coroner is unwilling to commit himself to either falling damage, smashing, drowning, or suffocation in cement as the cause of death, but he is pretty sure that what they finally managed to excavate from the cement block was alive when it hit the floor of the pool based on a surveillance recording of his scream during the fall.

2276: His End was also Unusual After All
WX0Q4x.jpg

Everything points to natural causes, but the First Ascendant is blinded by her grief and gradually convinces herself despite the lack of evidence that this is murder most foul.

As weeks pass with neither accident nor murder proven, she orders her second child and heir to return to the capital to head up a task force dedicated to hunting down the killers.

While Unusual After All was well liked by the public, his sister is rather less so. Frightfully intelligent and one of the growing number of Alarians who have managed to adopt and be adopted by a brain slug, with a pale beauty that is the very image of her mother in her youth, her temperament could not be more different.

A precocious child turned tyrannical adult, she has pursued a career in the military where her acid barbs and tendency to treat opponents as enemies to be crushed is, if not welcome, then more tolerated than in society as a whole.

But for the task of hunting down the murderers of her brother none could be better suited. Her adult name was well chosen, and no obstacle will bar her way, for she is, and always will be, Unstoppable After All.

2276: Meet Unstoppable After All
2BlkgY.jpg

2277.03.21: Negotiations with Reformists

Unfortunately the hunt stirs the still warm ashes of discontent, threatening to reignite the reformist cause, and that is a distraction the First Ascendant cannot afford during this critical period.

Blinded with grief she may be, but always a political animal and wise beyond measure. With every emotion urging her to crush the reformist cause once and for all, every stray thought insisting that the reformists are beyond the murder of her son, she will still not act against the law.

Because unless she finds evidence that they are linked, she will treat the murder and reformist agitation as separate problems. The second perhaps inflamed by the necessary ruthlessness of the hunt for his murderer, but nevertheless a problem of its own.

Yes, yes... She's a simulated person, but were she real, she would be like that. Such people are few and far between, but they exist, and they are scary in their righteousness.

2277: So, let's talk about constitutional guarantees
gqnalj.jpg

2277.10.04: The Chosen Unchosen

The final bastion of the Chosen, their homeworld Scion, a size 30 gaia world, falls, and the Chosen are no more.

2277: End of the Chosen
meYXOr.jpg

The Charynoi as in an existential crisis, wondering both how the Chosen people could be conquered and why they have not been killed, having serious problems understanding the concept of peaceful coexistence with anybody else, but that is as nothing to the shock of being split up in groups of 6 or 12 POPs, transported to different worlds, and then being put into therapy for assimilation.

On more than thirty different worlds, bewildered Charynoi ask themselves the fundamental question, ”what did I do to deserve this?”

The one extremely distant system to the galactic south-west that is part of the Chosen cluster is only accessible by jump drive. I've got that, so I could go visit, but I know it can be very expensive to build an outpost in isolated systems so I am leaving it alone for now.

2277.11.01: Curious Mechanism Extracted from Rift

That will prove handy.

2277: The Continuum
4JM5kt.jpg

2278.01.01: Custodian of the Galactic Community

About time. I can now hurry up the galactic council, using emergency measures every now and then to save up to 720 days of downtime when the council is not in session due to being on the council, and ending every session 720 days early should I so desire. This means that the turnaround time of 6 years between each completed resolution is reduced to 4 years in general and 2 years when I can order a proposal passed as an emergency measure.

Assuming I have enough influence, that is.

2278: United After All Proclaimed Custodian
5y1eS0.jpg

2278.02.20: Disabling the Dreadnought

Returning from the Chosen War, the hunter fleet disables the Automated Dreadnought. It is planned to repair it some time as a trophy ship, but there's no hurry. Why is there no hurry? I am not at war and don't need the fleet power inflating numbers.

2278: Eat Hot Torpedoes
605hBH.jpg

Moreover, and this is a long shot, there is a chance of gaining access to PSI jump drives during shroud visits, and if I repair the Dreadnought after that it will be fitted with them, whereas if I repair it without that tech it will always be limited to a normal jump drive even if I later gain psi jump drives. This is truly a minor concern since I intend the Dreadnought mostly as a trophy ship rather than a combatant, but even so.

2278.06.01: Rubricator encased

Yet another great day for United After All as the once-rat-invested warren is paved over.

2278: Rubricator Restored to Ancient Glory
VkkLqe.jpg

2278.08.04: Negotiations Conclude

More than a year has passed, Unstoppable After All has found no evidence of murder, and Undaunted After All has had time to grieve.

With regards to the reformist issue, reformist demands have proven to be mild. During negotiations they presented their demands before even listening to the official statement, defying the Luminary to oppose them, and she surprised them by accepting since she found their demands just – and less than she had been willing to concede.

2278: At a Crossroads
ksjQFh.jpg

In the end a deteriorating situation that could have spilled over into civil war was avoided by reasonable behaviour on both parts. Most reformists remained loyal to the Luminary and were satisfied with the fundament of her rule if not all the details, and they trusted her word during the negotiations on the basis of the compromise of 2271.

The outcome of the crisis is that the government is strengthened, the workers have slightly more political power, and that most people are happier with the way the empire works.

Surprising, isn't it? Now, it must be said that had I not showed restraint in 2271 or had the empire been oppressive, the outcome of negotiations like these conducted from a position of weakness would have been rather different. In those cases it would have been better NOT to engage in negotiations on their terms but to enact a total crackdown, arresting all the reformist leaders, and THEN negotiating with them from a position of strength.
But since United After All is a pleasant place to live and the Luminary has proven herself reasonable and worthy of their devotion, time and time again over the last eight decades, the reasonable approach was also the wise one and much bloodshed and division dangerous to the long term stability of the empire was avoided.

2279.02.27: Who Watches the Watchers?

The pre-ftl natives of the Dacha system have contacted our observation post!

2279: Hello, Said the Habinte
ergCwb.jpg

2279: Habinte Hyperlane Distribution Network
Rl5oLA.jpg

2279.12.27: The Mad Matriarch

While the Tithyanki space cows are generally peaceful unless threatened, an especially large one discovered in the galactic south-west is not. Skrand Sharpbeak, who feels a need for action to make up for being stuck in stasis for millennia, has been ordered to bring an end to this ancient menace.

2279: Approaching the Matriarch
t3j2bC.jpg

2280.01.01: Threshold to the Void

There is a considerable body of evidence suggesting that our efforts at containing the destabilized horrific inverse mass on Lastus Prime have failed, and that it is time to jettison it before everything goes to hell in a handbasket. The prices for off-planet transportation increase by the day, but the priest-administrators are confident they can still win this one.

2280: Too Late?
8iAFhW.jpg

2280.01.01: Custodian Powers Engaged

720 days since the council began voting on the Administrative Insights resolution means...

2280: Democracy in Action
FsuNJ8.jpg

...that it is time to pass it by Custodian fiat, 78231 to 1907 diplomatic weight, at the bargain price of 190 influence, and to propose Greater than Ourselves for 200 influence.

It has been an expensive decade handling the Galactic Community, but worth it as my own priorities start to dominate.

Year 2280, the Fruits of Diplomacy

2280: Vassals Economy is doing great
rMm6Cm.jpg

The biggest economical change since 2270 is that science output has increased by about 40%, alloy output by 60%, and unity output has doubled to an impressive 14634 unity/mth. Diplomatic Networking is now a mere 0.5% of the unity output and pretty much irrelevant, while research stations are still hanging in there making up 4.1% society, 5.7% physics, and 6.4% engineering.

2280: The Czymian's of Briscoll III already love us
0wcxpj.jpg

2280: 342 months to level 5
fsloL6.jpg

No problems here. Both domestic and foreign policy are doing their part.

Year 2280, Planetary Development

The greatest changes here are to the two ecumenopolises, Home After All and Rubricator, and three under construction, Jasmak Prime (832 days), Efoll Prime (2453 days), and Fen Habbanis (3593 days, started only 7 days before this save-point.)

2280: Home After All is always building arcologies
ySWEs4.jpg

I have been currently running Home After All with a factory capital designation for some time to stabilize consumer goods while building ecclesiastical arcologies, but most of the time I run it with the empire capital designation that helps all jobs, and that is also the long term plan. It is supported by an orbital ring improving consumer goods and unity production.

2280: Rubricator ditto
ktImmO.jpg

Rubricator is also producing ecclesiastical arcologies, but will switch to foundry arcologies in a few years. It is supported by an orbital ring improving alloys and unity production.

2280: Scion: The Word for World is City
Lv0Kji.jpg

Another planet of interest is the Chosen's capital, Scion, a size 30 gaia world with lots of city and industrial districts I am planning to pave over and make into an ecumenopolis.

Year 2280, State of the Empire

2280: First Ascendant and Empire
0f7Gnx.jpg

2280: Traditions are done, and no changes to ascendancy perks since 2270
t9yOPH.jpg

2280: I am FINALLY researching mega-engineering
0qXJkX.jpg

2280: Last Researched Technologies shows a military bent
9gFbmQ.jpg

2280: Edicts, unity ambitions, and policies, oh my
39stcm.jpg

2280: Council, Arms Open. At Tanagra
iw2pIH.jpg

The Research Ratio

Ratio_particles = 4938*(1+183%)/(1+146%) = 5681
Ratio_militarytheory = 4932*(1+163%)/(1+146%) = 5273
Ratio_voidcraft = 2506*(1+160%)/(1+146%) = 2649

Comparing to the 2270 ratios of 4004, 3396, and 2007, physics has seen an increase of 41.9%, society by 55.2%, and engineering 32.0%, primarily through pop-growth and the addition of the Charynoi population, but the exhibiting of museum artefacts increasing the output of all priests on my highly populated worlds is a smaller but still significant factor.

The 2280Save File

Can be downloaded from this Dropbox link for those who want to look at the situation or play around from this point.

Note that it required 3.11.3 to play. Now that 3.12 has been released, you will have to set Stellaris to use the 3.11.3 branch to do so.

---​

Author's note:

I performed a bit of save-file editing for the heir, Unstoppable After All. Stellaris thought is was a great idea for her to be a fiery redhead admiral with few looks in common with her blonde mother and a questionable dress sense. I disagreed.

2280: No. Just no. She is only arguably in uniform.
tqi1oJ.jpg

You can do it for any leader in the game following this procedure.

1. Open the .sav main savefile within the save's compressed archive in a text editor (I recommend Notepad++ if you are on Windows)
  2. Find the leader whose portrait you want to change in the file
  3. Within the leader's data block, insert a design block referring to the species art files, setting portrait, texture, attachment, and clothes to the variant you want
  4. Save the file within the archive

I used the portrait picker for rulers in empire-creation from main menu to find the portrait I wanted, which was the 10th female admiral picture in the militarium Stellar Legions set, which means it has texture 9. (Since the first has texture 0).

As this portrait pack doesn't use attachments or clothes but only whole textures, the attachment and clothes variables must be set to 0.

Then I checked the portrait nomenclature for another of my militarium admiral leaders in the save game to see how an admiral leader was referenced, and based on that I added the following to Unstoppable's data block.

Code:
design={
		portrait="sl_militarium_admiral_female_01"
		texture=9
		attachment=0
		clothes=0
	}

And that's it. From that day forward she became, if not the spitting image of her mother, at least somebody who could credibly be believed to be a descendant. And better dressed.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats on defeating the Chosen and becoming the Galactic Custodian. Is an imperial title in Undaunted After All's future?

The Czymian Society came around quite quickly. Why did the scientist say that Alarians were demons to them again? Isn't he an Alarian?

The Dacha System sounds like a compelling tale. Were Precursors involved in creating such a strange... formation?

Why can't Undaunted After All have multiple negative traits in the simulation? What game feature makes that possible?

Congrats on defeating the Chosen and becoming the Galactic Custodian. Is an imperial title in Undaunted After All's future?

The Czymian Society came around quite quickly. Why did the scientist say that Alarians were demons to them again? Isn't he an Alarian?

The Dacha System sounds like a compelling tale. Were Precursors involved in creating such a strange... formation?

Why can't Undaunted After All have multiple negative traits in the simulation? What game feature makes that possible?
A set of quick answers not in context:
  1. Only the one Undaunted After All gains as empress of United After All. The goal established at the beginning was to become Custodian with everybody in a Holy Covenant, and if you declare the Galactic Empire it disbands all federations, which kind of makes sense but greatly weakness the empire as the small bonuses you get as a Galactic Empire aren't remotely as good as those provided by a high-level Holy Covenant
  2. He's mad as a hatter, but his paranoid is justifiable. This all started when he despaired of United After All's careful ways, observing the natives but letting them commit their own mistakes rather than guiding them, and he saw an opportunity to mold the primitive society in his own image, uplifting them to seize the stars with no holds barred. He knew very well that his government was likely to order an extraction when they discovered what he was doing, so he indoctrinated his followers that there might be demons aping his holy form trying to abduct him... which proved true! When the extraction team grabbed him the natives defended him with holy fervour and even though they failed that defense, it poisoned relations, which from his perspective, having set them on the "right" path, would be a decent second best
  3. No. There's more to the Habinte than meets the eye
  4. Beats me. When I first played UOR builds last summer I assumed it was because I stacked negative trait reduction, even though I knew that in the general case this didn't block any event-granted negative traits save those rolled for on the yearly pulse. But when writing this chapter I decided to test the assumption by starting a few UOR games and firing event paragon.5058 at game start (the one granting a negative paragon trait from being overburdened) with no negative trait reduction, and I consistently got the negative trait when the Luminary started without a negative trait and failed to get it when she started with one. Having done 4 tests with and 4 without a negative trait on start, I concluded that until somebody provides evidence otherwise, I will assume that the Luminary can get at most one negative trait, and that the UOR traits are - somehow - treated differently internally; they certainly aren't in the scripts. This may be tied into how becoming Chosen, which claims to remove all negative traits, does not remove the UOR negative trait. It is simply different, though whether by design, oversight, or error, I do not know

Reactions:
As I claimed at the start and as several of you are catching on to, there is absolutely no challenge left and, indeed, there never was with these galaxy settings once I'd survived the first 10-15 years. This has allowed me to take things slowly, coasting along while focusing on different aspects of the game in each chapter of the AAR, and all that is left now is mopping up and showing you just how wild things get with planetary ascension done right over the next two chapters. (I would normally have done more planetary ascension earlier, but when done that way it can be difficult to distinguish just which overall economic gains are due to ascension and which are due to the many other factors changing at the time.)

I have played up to the 2290 point for the next chapter now, and I have a choice to make:
  1. Continue the current approach and end the AAR in 2290 or 2300 because frankly nothing of interest would happen after that
  2. Set the crisis to 10x and move the late-game date forward to 2300; This one might be even more boring, since an early onset 10x crisis offset from 2300 won't be much trouble and a late 10x onset crisis offset from 2300 will be a complete pushover
  3. Set the crisis to 25x and move the late-game date forward to 2300; This one probably wouldn't teach much, since I'd have to abandon the leisurely approach I've pursued until now in favour of hardcore optimization 2290-2300 to stand a chance against an early onset 25x crisis offset from 2300, and it wouldn't be a good chance, but on the other hand a late 25x onset crisis offset from 2300 might still end up a pushover
  4. Set the crisis to 25x and All Crisis rather than random, to get 25x, 50x, 100x, and move the late-game date forward to 2325, but continue pursuing a leisurely approach until the crisis hits... this will result in many dull decades and I'd either stop after 50x or die of boredom since 100x is rocket tagArc Emitter tag, but perhaps I could go to a several-decades per post schedule in the downtime between crisis

I'm up for either, currently leaning towards 1) or 4) as being those I think might be of interest to readers, but what say you?

If any of you have a preference, feel free to chime in and I'll decide in a day or two.

Last edited:
I'm up for either, currently leaning towards 1) or 4) as being those I think might be of interest to readers, but what say you?
Option 1 sounds the least likely to bore you. This is supposed to be a tutorial, so continuing the AAR even if you have nothing left to teach doesn't seem right. As long as you are still interested, have completed your goal, and have something to show off, then I see no harm in continuing.

Reactions:
I'm in favor of Option 1 as well, although it's ultimately your the Professor's choice.

Reactions:
Lecture the Ninth: 2280-2290 New

Lecture the Ninth: 2280-2290

Welcome, class.

Today is dedicated to further political developments, the gradual urbanisation as people move from fringe worlds to the growing ecumenopolises, and the destiny of the Luminary.

Interrupted by a short victorious war.

I am also going to commit a mistake.

The Mistake

Remember how back in the 2260-2270 lecture I promised to ascend by stages, first integrating the Velutarian and Fellnoll Coalitions, developing the Moij-Huxxgan worlds, and then, two or three decades later, release them as vassals and THEN begin planetary ascension in earnest?

It is now two decades later. Given the current state of the empire, there are three approaches, presented here as I imagine a dim-witted undergraduate might see the issue if not distracted by sex, drugs, and sausage rolls:
  1. Split vassals now, start planetary ascension. Downside: The few ecumenopolises cannot hold high populations yet, so you cannot highly concentrate population for minium ascension cost and maximum immediate benefits: much of your population will remain on unascended worlds. Additionally, you don't get to construct a network of gateways in the vassal states, so you will have a limited fast-travel gatework in my empire; Ideally I want at least one gate near every vassal capital
  2. Split vassals next decade and only then start planetary ascension, as you will be able to concentrate almost all of your population on ecumenopolises by then, so you don't waste unity on more expensive planetary ascensions; You get to create a gateway network this way too, and research more technologies including some megastructures the vassals can then build
  3. Split vassals next decade, but begin planetary ascension on your ecumenopolises now: This will cost you a lot more unity as much of the population will be on unascended worlds, and in addition a smaller fraction of the population will benefit from the ascension, which is a waste of unity. But at least you get to create a gateway network and release the vassals with better tech.

Now, the cost of any given planetary ascension depends on the empire size and the the total number of planetary ascensions in the empire at the time of ascension, given by:

AscensionCost = (EmpireSize*10)*(1+0.6*TotalAscensions)*(1+SumOfAscensionCostModifiers)

Having seen too many undergraduate papers that delay planetary ascension much longer than is mathematically prudent, I expect most of you would choose option 2), so that is what I will be doing this lecture.

This is a mistake, as both 1) and 3) are better choices.

For the first, don't hand over ALL territory in the zones to vassals; Exclude one or two central locations in each region where you will in due time construct gateways, and then hand over those systems once the gateways are completed; You get the best of both worlds, this way.

For the third, all the downsides are true, but since all ecumenopolises except the capital can be run as ecclesiastical ecumenopolises providing extra priest jobs due to the Holy Federation, you will be able to concentrate population on your ecumenopolises faster than you might think possible, and this will boost physics, society, and unity production from all those priests. Merely the 10 ascensions for taking Home After All and Rubricator from tier 5 to tier 10, and another 10 to take the third ecumenopolis, Jasmak, to tier 10 this decade as they gradually grow to contain much of the empire's population will be unity well spent. The remaining ecumenopolises can then be ascended after the split at a lower cost. The “wasted” unity will be much less than you expected when taking the increased unity output account, and you'll gain significantly increased physics and society output as well.

But in true moronic undergraduate style, I'm pursuing 2, going another decade to be sure that I can both divest vassals and have large enough ecumenopolises for most of the population I am keeping before I ascend any further. The only upside: This will give you some truly glorious before-and-after ascension numbers next lecture.

2280.02.02: The Beginning of a Beautiful Partnership

Neon Bellevue proves herself a true madgirl, when upon completing exploring an astral rift she gets an offer that is too intriguing to pass up on.

2280: She agrees... FOR SCIENCE!
OwSVAI.jpg

Does the composite retain any of the original Neon Bellevue's personality or has it been completely overwritten by the foreign consciousness, as her assistants warned her might happen? Who knows? Who cares? The Neon Bellevue itself retains not only her skills, but her memories, and is in two minds about the answer.

2280.02.12: The Fate of the Oracle

Far beneath the surface of a remote world recently colonized, the Alarians have discovered the remnants of a civilization once led into ruin by a mad AI that had been granted full power to oversee and manage their lives for optimal performance. It is an old, old, story, playing out time and time again, and the results are invariable the same: All out war between the machine and the people.

2280: Did you foresee this, Abominable Machine?
NWKCmR.jpg

2280: The Fate of the Matriarch

Skrand Sharpbeak's hunting expedition claims another victim.

2280: Giant Vicious Space Cow Eliminated
np7Xqv.jpg

and, what's this, out of its torn guts flies a battleship it had swallowed, led by the indominable hunter Reth Unddol, who is more than happy to swear fealty to United After All.
2280: Reth Unddol, Mighty Hunter
8OJ88K.jpg

Now, Reth Unddol's Shipbreaker and Material Liberator are of little value to me. The amount of resources they provide are tiny compared to the empire's economy. So those are practically wasted traits.

He is, however, an level 5 admiral with Hell's Heart boosting fire rate, and Material Liberator 3 will eventually give +15% armour hardening, making the trait useful after all, and he was lucky and gained Commanding Presence. He also isn't psionic so he cannot randomly evolve and die.

While he may eventually be surpassed by one of the cautious trickster Alarian admirals with increased weapons' range I prefer, he is presently my second-best admiral after Skrand Sharpbeak.

2280.05.02: Rak-Rak Librarian Integration

Since I am not releasing vassals this decade, it is time to integrate the Rak-Rak Librarians so I can release them together with everybody else next decade with state of the art technology.

2280: Integrate This!
qj5Cqp.jpg

2280.10.25: Ulaster the bipolarProphet

I am offered the service of a renowned paragon, Ulastar the Prophet.

2280: You are Mediocre
LbfFyi.jpg

There are three ways to think of Ulastar:
  • Ulastar is an advisor council member specializing in unity, who is sadly marred by having the Shroud Preacher governor destiny trait
  • Ulastar is a Shroud Preacher governor, who is sadly marred by being the wrong class for a governor
  • Ulastar is a hybrid councillor-governor, who is good at both jobs until you have other councillors and governors with destiny traits

What this means is that had I received him as the first paragon, he would have been highly valuable, but at this point he is completely useless both as a councillor and as a governor. So why do I recruit him?

Because he's a prophet. Keep him along for long enough and he may prophesize a great destiny for United After All, which impresses the few Alarians who haven't realized that already.

2281.02.03: Museum of Exobiology Populated

2281: Impressive Society and Unity bonus
36RSIB.jpg

2281.10.14: Marauder Bashing

It is time to make the Fellnoll population happy. Confused by the kindness shown to them and the assimilation program enrolling them in the psionic community, I have decided to give the Fellnoll fleets I inherited something to do. Makework, really, but it is something they should appreciate, and undoubtedly something they'll prefer to my scrapping their fleet: I am sending them to bash the nearby marauders: The Zemmerpukans.

To ensure success I entrust the largest fleet to Skrand Sharpbeak flying flag from his Last Talon and the second-largest to Reth Unddol.

2281: Advance, Expendables!
b081lt.jpg

2281: Marauder Stations Burning
JQJ6Hu.jpg

That was fun. I'll need to gather a few more expendables before I continue on to the next Marauder system.

2282.01.02: An End on Lastus Prime

2282: It's Now or Never...
tKA889.jpg

2282: Never, Said the Horror
WpiQlW.jpg

Sadly, the priests were not up to the task. So that's 4 POPs dead and Lastus Prime lost, forever, never to become a super-charged size 24 Ecumenopolis with awesome science and unity output, which would have been its destiny if the priests succeeded.

Not all gambles pay off.

On the positive side, the inhabitants of Lastus Secundus have a spectacular if scary view of the night sky, as well as natural worries about how long their world will last with a black hole next door. With an Eldritch Horror sttriving to escape.

2282.02.04: Czymian Subjugation

The natives on Briscoll III agree that, all things considered, they have no choice but to accept subjugation.

2282: Where's Your Holy Saviour Now?
uSb1oV.jpg

2282.02.04 Restoring the Strategic Command Center

In old Velutarian space an abandoned Strategic Command Center has long awaited the day, when the Alarians mastered Mega-engineering. That day has come.

2282: 4800 days? I don't think so.
tugSir.jpg

It is time to finally take the Master Builders ascendancy perk and to enable both the Architectural Renaissance unity ambition and the Living Metal Mega-Construction edicts. This will increase construction speed by 150% and allow me to work on up to three mega-structures at once, which isn't possible yet but will be soon enough as I research more structures.

2282.05.03: Skrand the Dragonslayer

Continuing his hunt, Skrand kills the Ether Drake.

2282: Another one bites the dust
942p7C.jpg

2282.05.05: Jasmak Encased

The size 30 relic world Jasmak is finally encased, a new ecumenopolis for the Alarians to exploit. In due time I intend this this will become their centre of worship.

2282: Jasmak Prime
jjiln5.jpg

Such an important planet surely cannot have such a boring name, so I decide to name it Midnight Wine in accordance with the Alarian naming convention.

2283.06.20: Chosen of the Composer

On this day the First Ascendant achieved immortality and became forever immune to random evolution by the Composer.

2283: Undaunted, I Pick You!
BRF6rd.jpg

2284.01.06: Greater than Ourselves

Convincing everybody to work together just became that little bit easier. Next I will nominate the Military Readiness Act to increase fleet sizes.

2284: 190 influence to save 2 years
iTmTsb.jpg

2284.08.20: Bird Flu

The crew of the Last Talon are suffering from rotting feathers. Alarian healthcare to the rescue! I choose to provide maximum funding for care, to delay the progression of the disease, as well as maximum funding for a cure.

2284: Feather Rot!
1pMhab.jpg

2285.01.04: Gift of the Habinte

It turns out that the “simple” pre-FTLs of the Habinte worlds have tired of our company and will gift us their largest gaia planet, Sol X, if we'll just leave them alone. They'll provide it gift-wrapped in our capital system to spare us the inconvenience of moving it, which is awfully kind of them.

2285: I like presents
cbhcQj.jpg

2285.0430: Strange Sphere Threatens Capital

What can that mysterious strange sphere be? Well, obviously it is a communications device from exile extradimensional entity, these things happen all the time, but the Alarians don't know this and commence an intensive study. I instruct them to fast-track the project regardless of cost.

2285: Crystal Sphere
LOlzDB.jpg

2285.06.07: Rak-Rak Integrated

With the integration of the Rak-Rak Librarians I begin – for the second time – improving their worlds in anticipation of releasing them as vassals next decade with vastly superior tech and access to all policies. But, for now, I'm having to cope with rather more systems and colonies than is comfortable.

2285: Welcome back, Rak-Rak
I7nSqA.jpg

2285.11.11: Rise of the Khan

Having gathered enough of my scattered forces from various integrations to continue bashing Marauders, I attack the second Zemmerpukan system.

2285: The Marauders are sitting ducks
6aSLbK.jpg

Even more Fellnoll die gloriously and it is my hope that their successors, now in training, may find their ardour for battle against the OTHER somewhat dampened by the reminder of their own mortality.

As it turns out, they are not the only ones learning lessons. The Zemmerpukans, realizing that they have a real fight on their hands, unite under a charismatic leader and in what appears to be a blink of the eye reactivate a large number of old mothballed ships.

2285: Great Khan Bokall Huketkin Sends Greetings
cEs0pZ.jpg

Now, I do have a considerable force in theatre consisting of the dregs of my early construction, refurbishing ships from the Tinkerers, most of the the integrated fleets, as well as Skrand Sharpbeak's Last Talon, but the hunter fleet is still distant, returning form hunting the horrors of the galaxy, and none of the battleships I have been building over the last few years as part of my scheme to build up a fleet capable of defending against the Fallen Empires have reached front.

2285: THESE battleships
nTugDI.jpg

A word about this design:
  1. In terms of weapons this is a classic Arc-Emitter/strikecraft/missile battleship build with inferior strike craft due to energy considerations; This works pretty well against anything and doesn't require any deep repeatable technologies to shine
  2. In terms of defenses, I am going with a mixed armour/shield setup with shield hardening. This is generally the best setup from the perspective of tanking incoming damage until you get into repeatable technologies. Due to the low engineering output and high physics output I will continue using a split armour/shield setup with shield hardening even when I get into repeatables rather than the popular all armour+armour hardening approach, because that approach requires strong engineering science
  3. I am using an artillery computer rather than a carrier computer primarily for the boost to fire rate, despite the bug in the current iteration of the simulator (3.11.3) making the battleships charge the enemy at start, then withdraw, and secondarily because when used in conjunction with the outmoded fleets of lesser ships, having enemies target the battleships that can soak up a lot of punishment is a pretty good deal; One I have expended the lesser ships, other considerations may apply
  4. Since production of battleships is still very limited and my minor relic income is high, I am using an archaeotech device for increased shields and shield hardening; Once I ramp up production I cannot afford such a lavish expenditure of minor relics and will replace it by another armour module and use strike craft III, which I already have, and better missiles once I have researched them
  5. For this design repeatable techs once available are split for physics (energy fire rate, energy damage, shield harmonics), unified for society (strike craft fire rate, strike craft damage), and split for engineering (explosives fire rate, explosives damage, armour)

2285: Let me send two fleets of those to the front
ofcN0W.jpg

2286.02.29: Integrating the Dar-Hesh Administration

Next in line for integration is the Dar-Hesh Administration that has been expanding considerably and is due to its strength the most likely of my vassals to build an outpost next to the Xenophobic Fallen Empire, counting on its overlord to protect it. Not that I expect it to do so anytime soon, but now that I have started churning out battleship fleets of 2.7k fleet power per battleship, every year makes it more likely I reach a tipping point.

2286: Integrate this!
shcAyY.jpg

2286.09.02: Gateway Construction

The gateway construction is well underway, and now the time has come to construct one in the Rak-Rak's capital system, so I will have easy access to protecting them once I spin them out as a vassal again.

2286: Ruk-Rak deserves a Gateway
VnOJp8.jpg

2286.10.17: Divine Divinity After All

It had been long in coming, but after being Chosen by the Composer, gaining immortality, and becoming powerful beyond measure, the peoples' already extreme faith in the Luminary reached the limits of what could remotely be considered sane and threatened to descend into madness.

Over the past two years, Luminary Cults, once a small movement devoted mainly to ascetic living, sprang into existence across the empire with a stronger religious bent, worshipping the Luminary as Divine Undaunted.

So when the First Ascendant announced that she had discovered a way to channel part of her psionic power to better the lives of all her subjects, the Cults went mainstream.

Like the emperors of old, but with rather more justification and a better life expectancy, the people of the empire proclaimed her eternal God-Empress, insisting that all power be concentrated in her hands.

2286: Divine Undaunted After All
HpSVha.jpg

Ethics shifted from Spiritualist/Fanatic Xenophile to Fanatic Spiritualist/Authoritarian.

When things like this happens it is important to see whether it goes to the Luminary's head or not. In this case, not all that much. After deputizing a leading scientist to do perform the job of being a Divine Conduit for her power, Divine Undaunted made a point out of divesting herself of some of her authority, thanking the people for their good intentions, but insisting on a kindler, gentler, rule.

2286: She may be God-Empress out of duty, but she is no authoritarian except by definition
0ncbYr.jpg

Ethics shifted from Fanatic Spiritualist/Authoritarian to Fanatic Spiritualist/Xenophile.

This was only possible because the Alarians have been supporting xenophilia from the start, and even so I was only at 19% xenophiles before the Rak-Rak integration, because it is really hard in strong spiritualist psionic empires for spiritualism to not end up completely dominant. For a while I thought I might have to start suppressing spiritualism to maintain a large enough population of xenophiles.

But now that the ethics have reached the final stage I set as a goal for the Alarians at the beginning of the lecture series, all is good. From this day forward every vassal I create will be Fanatic Spiritualist/Xenophile, and they will have lots of reinforcement for both of those ethics and are unlikely to drift into something else.

2286-2288: Fighting the Khanate

As expected the Zemmerpukan Khan's initial attacks were successful, in large part because I withdrew the forces I had on the front lines, denying him a chance to defeat them in detail and tempting him into overreaching. Now, a year on, by the end of 2286 that strategy is bearing fruit:

2286: Forces in Theatre
hh8uTH.jpg

The Khan's rapid expansion westward has reached its maximum extent as a stream of new build battleships are approaching Frontal. The first 12k will arrive within the month, but there are are more on the way, many more. The Khan himself has committed a significant mistake, allowing himself to be cut off from the bulk of his forces by my two main battleship fleets.

Though his main fleet is formidable it is as nothing compared to what he is about to face.

The forces I have in theatre now should be enough to defeat the Khanate, but I do not have a blocking force in pace in case the Khan tries the desperate move of launching an attack to the galactic east into Wholesale Redemption, which could prolong the war, so I decide to summon a Dimensional Fleet to deal with that issue.

Yes, the Dimensional Fleet. As you are hopefully all aware, once you have completely explored five astral rifts, you gain the ability to pay a huge amount of astral threads to hire a Dimensional Fleet of extradimensionals, who will serve for a decade. The size of the fleet scales with your number of rifts completed, naval capacity, and years since you assumed command.

This representation in the simulation is a simplification by necessity, but in real life you will often find people from other dimensions willing to serve as mercenaries in return for the astral threads used to weave the astral tapestry, so for all of that, it is not an unreasonable simplification even if it might feel a bit silly when you can pay 1750 threads and a fleet appears as if by magic.

2286: I need YOU to support the eastern flank
pvCLS2.jpg

2286: Block the Khanate in Agsilla
vtGqSy.jpg

Meanwhile, Sharpbeak and Unddol are making the first attack run on the Khan, who can only watch in horror as some of his ships are torn apart by arc emitters, with waves of strike craft and corvettes following to destroy the survivors.

2286: Alpha Strike!
dh9Fg3.jpg

The battle rages for 18 days, the Khan's titanic flagship fighting to the last.

2286: An Escape Pod? Unsporting!
iscFxG.jpg

I spend the next eight months mopping up the western forces and waiting for the dimensional fleet to arrive to reduce the inevitable casualties when attacking the main horde, but the Khan made good us of the time as well, so perhaps I would have been better off going for the kill immediately.

2287: T'was but a flesh wound
T66Xiw.jpg

And perhaps not. My chosen approach is extremely safe. The dimensional fleet is in position now, the khanate forces are bottled up, and a simple manoeuvrer sending my main fleet to collect the Dimensional Fleet, moving the combined forces into Ustir and hitting the main Khanate force in its captial in Sithois Maelstrom, will either eliminate all Khanate forces in one well swoop with my forces entering Sithonis Maelstrom from the Ustir hyperland while the Khanate's forces are assembling at the distant Urill hyperlane to take advantage of my removal of the blocking force, or will have just passed through it and be forced to return to deal with my incursion. Either way I should be able to ravage much of the system before their ships get a shot off.

2287: Attacking Sithonis Maelstrom
QcScLd.jpg

And that's just what happens. Caught out of position, the Alararians have a field day shooting Marauders desperately trying to reach weapons range. Thus ends the war against the Khanate.

2288: End of the Khanate
rlYtZi.jpg

2288.01.11 Borderless Autority is Next

After 720 days of discussion, I invoke the curator's ability to end the session of the Galactic Community to pass the Military Readiness Act, and follow it up by proposing the Borderless Authority Act, which will draw my vassals towards Spiritualism and grant +1 holdings with every vassal at a moderate monthly loyalty cost. In the long run I will reducing the number of holdings in the individual contracts to compensate for the loyalty loss.

2288: Democracy in action
dIsdYm.jpg

2288: Wholesale Redemption Gifted

My oldest ally, friend, and vassal, Wholesale Redemption, receive a gift as reward for their loyalty. The Soyun system with the Megamine:

2288: The Megamine Gift
slIVON.jpg

In related news, they agree to hiking the basic resource tax to 60%, since between their vast system of corporate holdings and their now greatly increased mineral production, they can easily afford such an expenditure now.

2288: Taxes!
7H7smY.jpg

Why not 75%, I hear you cry? Because they have several new worlds to build up, and the difference between paying 60% (keeping 40%) and 75% (keeping 25%) is huge. I don't want to limit their potential or force them into a crash agricultural building program to survive.

2286.06.2: Feather Rot Cured

2288: Skrand is Relieved
o9QfEn.jpg

2288.11.06: Dreadnought Repaired

The Alarians performed a crucial lobotomy of the Sapient AIs higher functions and installed a command bridge and living quarters as part of repairing and reactivating it due to the insanity of leaving an AI in control of a warship, but for all of that the repaired Dreadnought remains a formidable vessel.

Unfortunately it is a poor complement to my battleship design, focusing as it does on hull/armour damaging artillery, but it will make an imposing flagship for my grand fleet.

2288: Trophy Titan
nggWQS.jpg

2289.07.25: Activating Relics

With astral Lateral Artifacting I can now activate two relics at a time, so let me do that. First the Continuum for additional resources, as I will need hundreds of thousands of energy next decade to resettle population. This artifact only gives me 104k energy, but the thousands of strategic resources can be sold for even more.

2289: Click to profit!
cBjMNp.jpg

For the second artifact, I choose the Plasmic Core.

2289: Click to mutate!
v3c4Lt.jpg

2289: Everybody on Home After All-Beta gains plasmic
89tSrT.jpg

After the great exodus from Home-After-All-Beta as its people sought new homes amongst the starts, most of the people living there are alpha-Alarians attracted by the sense of danger or more likely the low property prices, but many Beta-Alarians remain and a few Rak-Rak as well, all of whom have their cell structures realigned and strengthened by the Plasmic Core.

So I send a plasmic ocean-based Beta-Alarian to 5 alpine, 1 arctic, and 1 gaia world, most in territory I will be handing over to vassals next decade, and modify them to have Alpine preference. This should ensure they get safely embedded in to vassals, with a swiftly growing population due to high habitability and growth bonuses.

2289: You WILL like it in your new homes
CeSQ2u.jpg

I likewise send a plasmic ocean-based Beta Alarian to each of four desert worlds, and turn them into natives, and the remaining I distribute amongst my ocean worlds. In all cases I set the planet to force-grow the climate-appropriate plasmic beta-alarian.

2289.09.10: Gift of the Shroud

It may not be the highly desired Psionic Jump drive, but is is a decent second best.

2289: The Precognition Interface
9zMkXy.jpg

2289.09.24: Selling Gas

Having sold all the exotic gases the regular empires can reasonably afford to buy, I am now turning to the two fallen empires willing to trade at half-decent prices (50%), the Xenophile and the Ancient Caretakers.

2289: Buy My Gas!
tUyrDd.jpg

2289.12.30: Subjugating the Univted Huvidu-Zaan Committee

On the last day of the year, the United Huvidu-Zaan Committee agreed to become my protectorate.

2289: Welcome, Unbeliever
hC4GRg.jpg

Year 2290, the Fruits of Diplomacy

Fortunately the war against the Khanate did not significantly impact economic growth.

2290: The Economy has seen significant growth over the past decade
ij0cZ7.jpg

2290: The subject empires are nearly as enraptured by the Divine Undaunted as the Alarians
Ki43is.jpg

2290: 853k fleet power; Things are looking up
E6io7d.jpg

No problems here. Both domestic and foreign policy are doing their part, and federation cohesion is so strong, that recovering from last month's subjugation of the United Huvidu-Zaan Commonwealth will be done in another two months.

Year 2290, Planetary Development

I now have five ecumenopolises: Home After All(21), Rubricator(25), Midnight Wine(30), Efoll Forest(22), and Fen Habbanis Prime(25), with four under construction, Sidor Prime(24, 853 days), Scion(30, 1159 days), Fellnoll's Loss(25, 2545 days), and New Light(25, 3600 days)... I should have begun the conversion of New Light in the old Chosen cluster earlier, but forgot about it.

Not much has changed for the Ecumenopolises since the end of last lecture save the construction of more ecclesiastical districts. I'll go more in detail about them next lecture when comparing their output before and after ascension, but here is a teaser, the output of a single priest on Midnight Wine, which is currently entirely unascended but does benefit from the First League Filing Offices, a PSI Corps, and being governed by a level 8 Truth Seeker governor.

2290: >300% increased output for all science, >400% for unity, that's not so bad...
LUkMJk.jpg

There is one planet deserving closer scrutiny, and that is the old Moij-Huxxgan homeworld, which I originally began converting into an ascended energy world, but after deciding to delay splitting off vassals to the 2290-2300 lecture, I changed its desitiny. It is now intended to be the capital world of a new prospectorium centered in Moij-Huxxgan space and, as such, I decided to go all out to gift these caretakers of the Moij-Huxxgan legacy with a valuable world suitable to their role.

2290: Mistake After All
eEOVPe.jpg

Mistake After All will lose its PSI Corps and its planetary ascensions when given away, but on the other hand it will receive significant production bonuses when under AI control in the simulation. This will become an extractive powerhouse.

Year 2290, Megastructures

While waiting for ringworld construction to become available I have not been idle. I have erected the first few shipyards in a frame that will form the core of a truly gigantic Mega Shipyard in the capital system, the site for a Science Nexus in Rubricator, and am busy upgrading both of those while building the site for a Strategic Coordination Center with state of the art Alarian technology in Kähkö, to support the restored ancient SCC in Neddum.

2290: Megastructures
mMbNkf.jpg

The reason I am building a Science Nexus despite its science output even when fully developed being only a small fraction of the empire's existing output is that its contribution to research speed always makes it worthwhile.

I love using the Priesthood Tech build when aiding spiritualist populations united Under One Rule, but it must be admitted that it is agonizingly slow at entering the megastructure phase, being at least two decades behind other strong builds. Still, however long the Megastructure Age took to arrive, now that it is here I will take full advantage of it.

Year 2290, State of the Empire

Being the God-Empress of United After All, Joyful After All, and Custodian of the Galactic Community calls for a more impressive title in addition to the old ones of Lady, Luminary, and First Ascendant, so the ruler is now properly known as Divine Undaunted, or in full Her Imperial Majesty the Divine Undaunted After All, Lady and Luminary of the Alarians, the First Ascendant,

In recognition of the unlikelihood of Unstoppable After All inheriting, they changed the title of the Luminary's heir from Second Ascendant to First Descendant.

2290: Divine Undaunted and Empire
aUzQIf.jpg

2290: With Galactic Wonders, all ascendancy perks have finally been picked
LLzsT9.jpg

2290: Ringworld research, finally!
D72rWK.jpg

2290: Last Researched Technologies
wjDqBz.jpg

2290: I probably should switch to Militarized Economy one of these days...
fWxm3X.jpg

2290: A Council of Tech-Priests
a2tUxG.jpg

The Research Ratio

Some pretty wild changes since last lecture. As I have been moving ever more people to the ecumenopolises to work as priests and in the process have shed some researcher jobs, physics is speeding ahead and engineering falling further behind.

Ratio_field_manipulation = 7583*(1+214%)/(1+165%) = 8985
Ratio_psionics = 5892*(1+194%)/(1+165%) = 6536
Ratio_voidcraft = 1938*(1+196%)/(1+165%) = 2164

Comparing to the 2280 ratios of 5681, 5273, and 2649, physics progress has increased by an amazing 58.2% and society by 24.0%, but engineering has actually declined by 18.3%. I am definitely going to be needing ring worlds if I want a significant number of armour and missile repeatables researched.

The 2290 Save File

---​

Author's note

Upon careful consideration I have decided to continue this AAR in its current form until all the objectives listed in the first lecture are achieved, and once that is done decide whether to end it or play on and demonstrate how to smite various boosted crisis once that is achieved.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: