FOUNDRY Free Demo Out Now!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HeyTiko

Sergeant
Paradox Staff
Nov 22, 2022
Foundry_NextFestAnnSteamAssets_1920x622 PlayNow.jpg

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce that FOUNDRY DEMO is now available!
Play the game for Free with your friends during the Steam Next Fest and build the factory of your dreams!

• If you face a bug, please leave a report here: LINK
  • If you have any feedback, please share it with us here: LINK! (We'll read it all!)

F.A.Q.

What is Foundry?

FOUNDRY is a first-person factory building simulation set in an endless procedurally generated voxel world. Mine resources, craft machinery and automate your research to progress through the game. Face logistic challenges by planning and building a conveyor belt and pipe network. Manage a complex power system and expand your constantly growing production lines! You can Wishlist the game here.

About Channel 3 Entertainment

Channel 3 Entertainment is a new studio built by Patrik Meder, the original creator of Foundry (MEDER Dynamics) and industry veterans Mark Laprairie and Johann Seidenz from Klei Entertainment. Their previous experiences include critically and publicly acclaimed Oxygen Not Included and Don’t Starve Together. They are currently working on the development of Foundry.

Does the game have online or co-op gameplay?

It does! The multiplayer mode is mostly designed towards 2-4 players on the same server, but you can always go extra as there is no hard limit. Moreover, we strongly recommend playing the game together with friends, especially during the demo! Whatever they do — help you out or create pure chaos — it’s definitely more fun!

What languages does the game support?

During the Demo the game will only support English, but we are planning to add more languages for Early access.

I have a question I want to ask a Developer, where can I do that?

We are Discord server and Official Forum. Make sure to follow both of them not to miss a thing!

How can I be posted about the news?

Sign up for the newsletter to be posted about the latest news and get a unique gift on Steam when the game is officially out — the “NLR-9001” mining drill skin!

What is the official game website, where can I read more about the game?

Here!

Demo

How long will the Demo be available?

The demo will be available during the Steam Next Fest which takes place from 9th to 16th of October.

Will the Demo be available after the Steam Next Fest?

At the moment we are not planning to keep it open after the Festival is over. We will let you know in case of any changes!

Follow us on socials:

Stay tuned for more news!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I tried the demo for a short time (up to first setup of automated energy production) and so far I like what I'm seeing.

Destructible environment is something I really missed in Satisfactory and depletable resources give the need to explore always more and create always longer supply chains unless you want to move your whole factory at some point.

I just hope the game will have some goal. I don't like and don't get motivated by building a factory just for sake of it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I just hope the game will have some goal. I don't like and don't get motivated by building a factory just for sake of it.
After spending a few hours in the game I was sitting with the same feeling. I played until had set up steam power and concrete production, but there was never anything in the game encouraging me to do it all more efficiently. At one point I just went afk to make dinner while waiting for research to complete rather than expanding my factory to speed things up. Factorio on the other hand has biters to encourage me to stay on top of things at all times, and a rocket launch as an end game goal. Other voxel based games less focused on production lines tends to have a lot more building options to encourage some kind of progression.

Some of the later techs which are locked in the demo could indicate that the game will get some more goals to aim for eventually, but that just didn't seem to be there yet.

Without any such goals an endless world also seems kind of pointless. Why would I spend time running between bases instead of just hitting alt+tab and wait to achieve the same result?

I also hope the game will get rid of some of the early access jank before it leaves early access. For example not saying what stuff does in the crafting menu annoyed me a lot. One big offender was having to not just craft a crusher, but also to place it, just to find out that it is used to mix two different ores and bags of cement later on. Those are the kind of things the game should tell you in the crafting menu.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I also hope the game will get rid of some of the early access jank before it leaves early access. For example not saying what stuff does in the crafting menu annoyed me a lot. One big offender was having to not just craft a crusher, but also to place it, just to find out that it is used to mix two different ores and bags of cement later on. Those are the kind of things the game should tell you in the crafting menu.

The F1 help text was very good on giving information after unlocking new stuff. But having it more obvious or available as a popup in the research tree would be a lot better.

The F1 help text was very good on giving information after unlocking new stuff. But having it more obvious or available as a popup in the research tree would be a lot better.
I found the F1 help text to be rather incomplete. I actually found the research menu to be more informative. Such basic information about items you craft should however be listed in the crafting menu as well. That is one of the places players will need it most frequently, and when they are likely to be when they are about to make the decision to invest resources in the machinery/item. Having to look up that information elsewhere is exactly the kind of jank that makes a lot of early access games so much less enjoyable than they could have been with a fairly minor extra effort, even after they leave early access.

I played the game for a short time and its nice to see a good factorio-like game, i love it! But what i always miss (in Satisfactory too) is a third person mode or the possibility to zoom outside. 1st Person is nice, but in a factorygame you need a good overview (in my opinion), for planning the base. The possibilty to get that overview (by zoom out for example or to look from the top) on the one hand an the immersive view of 1st person on the other, would be a good mix, if there could be an option to change between these two views.

Bye,
Jerymyas

I played the game for a short time and its nice to see a good factorio-like game, i love it! But what i always miss (in Satisfactory too) is a third person mode or the possibility to zoom outside. 1st Person is nice, but in a factorygame you need a good overview (in my opinion), for planning the base. The possibilty to get that overview (by zoom out for example or to look from the top) on the one hand an the immersive view of 1st person on the other, would be a good mix, if there could be an option to change between these two views.

Bye,
Jerymyas
In Satisfactory I use the Observation Towers for that purpose.
I don't kow if FOUNDRY has a similar structure (didn't check the tech tree in that regards). But if it hasn't you can literally create a pile of dirt to stand on.

In either case I agree - some immersive(!) way of having a (limited) bird's eye view would be nice :)

Reactions:
So, this feels like an attempt to make a proper standalone game from certain game various Idustrial-related mods? Good luck. Satisfactory is good, but destructible environment is something such games need, IMO.

Depleteable resources... hmm.. i dont know.. some, at least mid- to late-game exploitable "eternal" resources would be my preference.
One of the dev diaries on Steam was talking about eternal resources. I think in the full game you can tech up to infinite extractors on larger deposits with the need to supply lubricating oil to keep things running IIRC.

Hi, I just tried it out, it it awesome. Where can I put my ideas and criticism? I only wanted to bring up one small thing: Please make the resource patches bigger (and less dense) everything look epic but comes from a tiny patch of resources. I think it might look much better if they where at least 10 times bigger. There is the voxel system, use it. If you compare it with an actual real life digging site like Ruhr in Germany, these holes are huge.

I tried the game and got into it for 15 minutes and thought it enjoyable, the tutorial needs more visual aids to make it more obvious where the inventory is. It's only minor really but I think could make a big impact - I'd consider the idea of saying the word Bag in the voiceover if the icon shortcut (B) and look of the icon is of a bag - if someone says inventory, I try the I key intuitively and look for an inventory button. Other than that, it looks like it could be interesting to play, hope I can put more time into it tomorrow.

Last edited: