• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I'm working today and tomorrow, so would another participant in our big conference post up a draft treaty? We need something for people to sign. Non aggression, mutual defense, free trade, general friendliness))

The Kingdom of Naples will send a delegation to the conference hosted by the International Institute of Aeronautics in Bern.

- Luciano Murat, King of Naples and Sicily

The Dolmabahce Accord

1. The signatory nations agree to respect the independence, sovereignty and borders of the other signatories.
2. The signatory nations shall refrain from acts of aggression or subversion against the other signatories.
3. The signatory nations shall respect the rights of ethnic or religious minorities in their borders
4. The signatory nations agree to lower tariffs and other economic barriers between one another, and pursue mutual prosperity and development
5. The signatory nations shall provide each other with all assistance in their ability in the event of external aggression.

Signatories:
[x] Murad V, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
[] Kingdom of Greece
[] Kingdom of Romania
[] Principality of Montenegro
[] Khedivate of Egypt
[] Kingdom of Tripoli
[] Sultante of Morocco

Welcome to Konstantinyye

http://youtu.be/Hwi4TAd9fPU?list=PL99F8D02342779A05

Şehzade Mehmed Selaheddin Efendi, heir apparent of the Padishah, likely future Kalifah, sipped from a tiny gracious cup of coffee, and fulfilled a lifelong fantasy.

He was outside his cage. For nearly 300 years, every Prince had lived in captivity, surrounded by all the pleasures of the world but seeing no more of it than the grounds of Topkapi Palace. When one Sultan died, one would escape to rule, at least in name, watching the wheels of government turn from behind a gilded screen. The rest were killed. It was the only way that the Empire had ever known to avoid destroying itself in civil war every time a Sultan died. Yet here he was, by his father's own command.

He sat anonymous on a divan near one of the countless coffee kiosks in the grand bazaar. Selling in the Bazaar built by the Conqueror when he took this city in the glory days of the Empire had fallen out of fashion, and most business was done in individual shops throughout the city now. In this forward-looking age, most Turkish men dressed in suits, and Mehmed was no exception. Still the Bazaar was filled with life and noise, the press of humanity, the vitality and ambition and (more often than he had expected) squalor, all the things that his life had been missing. Even his mighty father never saw his city from this perspective.

As a boy he would fantasize about escaping at night to visit such a place, to see and hear what people really thought. He was too frightened to try it, and in reality it would probably have been far beyond his ability if he had. He never dreamed his father would open the door himself.

He remembered the bizarre summons. He was spirited away to an unfamiliar part of the palace, to a small hammam. There he met his father. He had met him before, of course, but the man was a stranger, and in any case their meetings had never been as one man to another. They were more of a divine visitation.

His father was sitting in the steam with only a towel across his lap. He was fairly lean, his moustache drooped with sweat, and he looked at his son with thoughtful, compassionate eyes.

"Mehmed" Sultan Murad V called, "Come and sit with me." Mehmed was 19, but he felt like a toddler. He mutely approached and made the usual gestures of submission, ludicrous as they felt while naked and sweating.

"I have been thinking." the Sultan began. He paused for a moment and looked long at the floor. "You know," he began in a softer tone, sounding vaguely sad. "There is a book on the construction of design of automatic machinery and clockworks in our library. It is over 300 years old. The court of Sulieman had mechanical lions that roared and birds that sung. Hezarfen Ahmed Celebi flew with a pair of artificial wings 250 years ago, and his brother flew on a rocket, or so it is written. Why is it then, that the Christian nations that were so backward then are the only ones who make such things now? Have you ever wondered?"

"Yes, father" Mehmed said. For some reason it seemed wrong to use the proper formal styles.

"I think what happened was this: things became so splendid for those Sultans then, and for all the high and noble people of the court, that nobody kept trying. When you are the richest, the strongest, the greatest in every way, why toil for more? Why not just enjoy the rewards? So then everything became about keeping things the same. Keeping things orderly and calm. The tide turned on us, and we did not notice up here, in our palace on the hills, until the water was about our feet. After that, it all became about catching up. Being as good as others. But did the Conqueror try to be as good as the Byzantines? Did the Lawgiver try to be as good as the Austrians?"

The Sultan paused for a long moment. "Have you ever thought about travelling?"

Mehmed's heart stopped, certain that he had been somehow caught. For a moment he believed that the Sultan must somehow have read his mind, and new of his rebellious dreams.

The Sultan leaned forward, his elbows on his legs, bringing his face closer to his son's. "When I was your age, it was all I could think of. Well not all. But I thought of it often. But of course it was ridiculous. I would stay in the kafe, this golden cage, until I either died or succeeded my father. Then I would be Sultan, and all the world would tremble before me- but still I would know no more of this world than what I could read in books and see from the Divan. It was the way things were done, and there was no changing it. But why?"

He seemed to actually want an answer to that one. "To,' Mehmed swallowed. "To keep the peace. To prevent Princes from fighting against one another. That is why we all stay confined to the haram."

The Sultan nodded. "Yes. And in my day, perhaps that made sense. But for you? You have no swarm of brothers to sharpen their knives and plot your downfall. So why should you sit idle? How could you learn to rule, if all you ever do is sit confined? It is madness, stupidity even. We will never catch up that way, no matter how many foreigners we bring in or how much we spend on their toys.

I have a guest even now. An Austrian Prince, of an age with yourself. He came just to be here while I held my summit. Just to see what ruling is, so that when his day comes he can do it. It is such a simple idea. Every craftsman in the Empire has his son work in his shop so he can learn the trade. It shouldn't have, but it astonished me, the mighty Padishah." He smiled, gleaming white teeth showing through his long moustache.

"So I have decided. You shall be put to work. And you shall travel too. To Switzerland, at first. To see about Airships. Do you know anything about them? I have been reading, and they are really quite splendid these days."

"Effendi" Mehmed's bodyguard Yusuf whispered harshly. The Prince's eyes darted about, looking for signs that someone had heard. No one had, and if anyone had, what of it? No one would be looking for him. In fact, nobody outside the Palace even knew what their future Sultan looked like. "Effendi, with respect, it is time for us to go."

"I think I shall have another cup first, Yusuf." Mehmed replied. "The ship will not leave without us, I expect."

((Sorry for asking Pluto, but could you maybe put an explanation up for how upgrading Industry/Technology and the likes work, including how you would like us to send orders (order format), it would greatly help the most of us I would believe, I have the general idea of how and what to send you in the order, but it might be easier for you, and us, if we all send similarly styled orders.))

The Kingdom of Tripoli, in order to ensure peace and stability in our region for many centuries to come, sign the Dolmabahce Accord.

[X]

[X] Khedivate of Egypt

I still remain hopeful that an agreement can be reached regarding the Suez.

I have always been an avid fan of aeronautical engineering, and be happy to personally lead a delegation to the conference hosted by the International Institute of Aeronautics in Bern.

-King Alexander II of Romania

A group in representation the empire will be send to the aeronautic conference.

The Sultanate of Morocco will sign on to the Dolmabahce Accord in the hope of establishing peace across the Mediterranean

[X] Sultanate of Morocco

While touring on his own private airship to tunis, observing the cities of Tripoli and potential trade-cities. He had brought his wife with him, Josephine. They had been married for six years, the marriage organized by their fathers. Josephine was a nice girl, he adored her, and they always did everything together. However, being the Dutch King had its stresses, she was a cute girl, even in her mid-twenties, she still reminded him of that young girl he had met so long ago. She had insisted on coming along, even though he said Tripoli was filled with heathens and sweltering heat, she was always the one for an adventure. And an adventure he had promised her, as they danced in the dining room, he reflected on this. She was smiling at him, before putting her head on his shoulder. This would be the last time they danced, he knew.

An adventurer she was... They went on a hunting trip just a few days ago, in the deserts. He should have been prepared, but as she was sweating she told them to keep going, and his master of horse told him she looked fine. He should strip him of his honours... He shaked his head, he should focus on her, his sweet wife..

"Shh.." Josephine whispered, her eyes closed gracefully, he looked at her, the doctor said she should not speak during this time.

"Josephine, you should not stress yourself.. I-" he was cut off by her finger, shushing him, while she let out a petite groan from the pain.

"Charles.. Please, rest.." He bit his lip, not understanding at first, but as she opened her eyes wearily, she gave him that look. When he worked too hard, or thought too much, she had always given him that look. He started to cry, hugging her tightly as her hands rested on his back. "Rest.. My love.. Rest."

He clinged to her, even as she went limp and she breathing stopped, even as the doctors game in and tried to restrain him, he remained with her, in their garden of paradise.

Can I still join this game? Please let me know if there are any open spots; I'd prefer to be the UK Foreign Secretary, but DB has once again foiled my plans! :angry: Curse him! :D

Can I still join this game? Please let me know if there are any open spots; I'd prefer to be the UK Foreign Secretary, but DB has once again foiled my plans! :angry: Curse him! :D

((All the countries are currently filled, and there aren't positions like foreign secretary or anything like that, with Sneakyflaps as the UK. I can add you to the wait list if you'd like.

To everyone else, the game is still going, nothing wrong in that front, just tough to put it above spending time on the beach. Back from vacation on Sunday, so the update should be soon after that.))

1880 – January through June

At the start of the year King George V made it clear to the people of the United Kingdom that he wished to see them leading the charge with the development of new and fascinating technology. In order to accomplish this, parliament released thousands of pounds to inventors and cutting edge industries. Unfortunately, this program proved to be a failure as it seemed to be a shortage of ideas, rather than funds, that limited British technology.
( -£150,000, No tech change)
The other major initiative taken up by the British government was to offer low interests loans in order to develop new industry throughout the country, particularly in the basic industries of coal, iron, and steel. This program allowed for thousands of new jobs to be created, in addition to expanding the United Kingdom’s raw industrial output.
( -£350,000, +1 industry level)

airship_bridge_by_lyno3ghe-d4wd9gm_zps49be62af.jpg

The deck of one of the several new airships flying the trade routes over Italy

In Italy, plans for the year were much more focused, with high hopes that the domestic airship and transport industries could be improved. In order to achieve this, the Italian government approached the respective industries, offering them tax breaks and loans. The plan proved to be successful as by July dozens of new transports began flying routes from Milan to Rome to Naples.
( -£250,000, +1 industry level)
Italy’s other plan for the year seemed to have been little better thought out than sticking a bunch of scientists in a room together and telling them to invent. Regrettably, the automaton responsible for feeding the scientists broke down sometime during the second week, which was not discovered for three days. Most scientists quit the project after having already made substantial purchases to begin their research.
( -£350,000, No tech change)

The Prussian general staff, under pressure from parliament and the King through most of January to build more armored divisions, finally relented and formed another 2 armored regiments.
( -£250,000, -£250,000 per turn , +2 Armored Regiments)
A prolific treaty was also signed between Austria and Prussia, creating a defensive alliance between the two stats, in addition to lowering tariffs, which helped both nation’s economies.
( +£150,000 per turn)

The Kingdom of Holland, in an ambitious effort to stay competitive with the likes of the United Kingdoms, France, and Prussia, ordered a massive expansion of the army, creating ten new infantry regiments and two new Aerial Battleships.
( -£1,000,000, -£1,000,000 per turn, +10 infantry, +2 Aerial Battleships)
Parliament also drafted several laws to protect the interests of various Dutch industries, creating consumer confidence and leading to loans becoming more available. This allowed industry to boom in the province of North Brabant were thousands of new jobs were created working in various factories.
( -£300,000, +1 industry level)

35ea05ee-8acc-4bad-af6d-2b5401ebfc78_zpsd99452bb.jpg

A photo from some of Tesla's first tests with his new machine.

In the principality of Serbia, the signing of the Balkans Development Program with France was met with great fanfare. Upon their arrival the military and technological advisors were almost immediately put to work. The military advisors were able to point out flaws with Serbian army almost immediately and set to work fixing them, in addition to beginning training with more advanced French weapons in a few cases. The technological advisors did not fare as well, as they clashed with the newly hired Nikola Tesla who demanded of Prince Đurađ that either they leave, or he would.
(-£350,000, +1 army level)
In the end, the decision to support Tesla over the French advisors seems to have paid off for the Prince, as only a few weeks later Tesla finished a machine which, through the burning of fossil fuels, could create impressive, targeted blasts of lightning.
(-£200,000, +1 tech level)

In Russia, Aleksander II, in an attempt to continue moving further away from serfdom, ordered that modern French farming equipment be imported to aid in the countries modernization. Unfortunately, the French business that he sought to buy from continually raised the price over the course of negotiations, and once they finally reached a settlement the ship delivering the machinery sunk of the coast of St. Petersburg.
( -£150,000, no industry change)
Plans to begin construction on an Imperial Aeronautics Academy went even more poorly. Officers from both the navy and the army studied various French, Russian, and British textbooks on fighter tactics. After a month of this they began working on designs for what they thought they would need for the Imperial Aeronautics Academy and construction began. After months of work a French marshal who had been touring Russia sent a letter to the tsar explaining that academies’ runways were only a quarter the size they needed to be and that the placement of the buildings at the end of the runway would surely lead to disaster. Enraged, the tsar ordered the academy to be torn down and the officers who designed it were sent to Siberia.
( -£300,000, no army level change)

The Munich-Constantinople Cooperation Pact was met with some hesitation from investors in the South German Confederation. Many feared that their investments would not be secure, but after multiple assurances from the government as well as low interest loans, they began to slowly take advantage of the Pact.
( +£50,000 per turn)
The South German government also invested heavily in their military, improving academies throughout the country. Several French and Swedish advisors were hired, in addition to expansion of many of the school’s grounds to better allow training exercises. This program went better than anyone could have expected, with only months after its start, records were broken in the academies all throughout the confederation. The advisors assured the government that their military would be much more capable thanks to the reforms.
( -£1,000,000, +2 Army level)

In Romania, the Balkans Development Program went decidedly worse. The French military advisors did their best to try to show the Romanian general staff what must be done to modernize their army, but they would have none of it, insisting the that Romanian army was more than capable and that they did not need the French to tell them what to do. The technological and industrial advisors met with much the same attitude from the scientists and engineers that they worked with, prompting all of the advisors to leave the country shortly after they arrived.
( -£250,000, no change)
It turns out however that the Romanian scientists at least were partially right. With government grants available to researchers and universities, these scientists began unprecedented experiments in the country, working with electricity, steam turbines, and in one particular case, attempting to make an armored suit that could fly. While not everything was successful, it soon became clear that Romania was on pace to match Serbia’s technological advancement.
( -£500,000, +2 tech level)

In Finland, all was quite during first few months of the year, though many in neighboring governments theorized that this was simply how the Grand Duke wanted things to appear as a massive amount of funds were released to help modernize the nation.
( -£1,000,000, +1 tech level, +1 industry level)

In Austria, the decision emperor’s to spend millions of pounds industrializing non-Austrian regions such as Croatia and Slovenia was met with quite disagreement and best and outright hostility at worst. Still, in February new tracks were laid in the countries less industrialized regions in addition to low interest loans provided to capitalists and factories built by the government outright. By June it was already beginning to become clear just how successful the program would be as workers filled the new factories and freight was carried along the new railroads towards Vienna.
( -£3,000,000, +2 industry level)
The Treaty of Prusso-Austrian Cooperation, while overshadowed by the success of the industrialization, still would prove to be important to Austria, not only thanks to its strong new ally, but also the lower tariffs for the new goods being produced there every day.
( +£200,000 per turn)

In the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway, ministers in the government soon began looking for ways to ensure that the army would remain highly skilled in order to compete with larger nations like Russia or Prussia. To this end, the army’s organization was reformed, and while hardly aristocratic to begin with, was made even more of a meritocracy. Promotions were required to be earned through based on both academic and leadership qualities. While some of the aristocrats in the army grumbled, the reforms went over well, with many confident that the best men would be in the proper positions.
( -£450,000, +2 Army level)
Sweden also made large investments in science and industry over the first half of the year, again hoping to keep their edge over the rest of Europe. Much like in Finland, the research was largely quite, but at the same time, undoubtedly successful.
( -£2,000,000, +1 tech level, +1 industry level)

In the Baltic Union, amongst squabbles between the Swedish king and his and his Lithuanian Prime Minister, including a proposed bill that almost resulted in said Prime Ministers dismissal, time was found to improve the country’s industry as well as begin the distribution of newer technologies.
( -£2,000,000, +1 tech level, +1 industry level)

GreatFire_8_360_zps19347eea.jpg

A painting of the fire that had threatened to destroy Montenegro.

It would likely be fair to say that nothing went right in Montenegro during the first half of 1880. Despite the Prince’s promise to industrialize the nation as a beacon of advancement in the Balkans, plans fell short as money that would have gone to the project were instead diverted to help alleviate suffering and rebuild after the fire that had threatened to engulf the entire city.
( -£50,000, no industry change)
There had also been plans to begin modernizing the nation’s military, which, originally, went rather well as thousands of new rifles were imported in addition to new artillery pieces and shells. Unfortunately, due to the mismanagement of the munitions, a fire broke out in the armory, destroying almost all of the new equipment and raging for several blocks and almost a full day before it was extinguished.
( -£100,000, no army change)

In Egypt the year started off with the sale of nation’s three troops transport groups to various entities, including other governments and private corporations, in order to reduce the strain on the economy.
( +£30,000, +£45,000 per turn, -3 transports)
The nation’s newly freed up resources were put to work almost strait away as British industrial experts were hired to aid the government in organizing plans to fund and expand the nation’s industrial capacity. The plan went moderately well, several new factories opening in Cairo by June.
( -£200,000, +1 industry level)

In Spain, King Juan III made the sweeping declaration that Spain must once again be recognized as a world power. In order to accomplish this, his first declaration is that the nation’s industrial capacity must be improved. While some plans are drawn up to fix the nation’s industry, most of the money earmarked for the project finds its way into the pockets of politicians and even into a new retreat in Barcelona for the king.
( -£300,000, no industry change)
King Juan III also makes several speeches about the importance of technology and his desire to construct weapons that can destroy the military of other nations without batting an eye. While his military advisors are skeptical that such a thing is possible, they order the expansion of the Spanish Air Force.
( -£600,000, -£600,000 per turn, +2 Aerial Battleships, +2 fighter Squadrons)

In France, there was much talk about a resurgence of the empire, at least by the more patriotic citizens, as the nation expanded its influence into Serbia and Romania with the signing of the Balkan Development Treaty. Despite the thoughts of those more patriotic citizens however, French businessmen are wary of the idea of investing in minor nations bordering three major, and more importantly, potentially hostile, powers. The few who do accept the risk do fairly well for themselves, with many laying plans to take advantage of the lower prices for land and wages.
( +£150,000 per turn)
Investors were also encouraged to help develop the home front, with the use of lowered taxes and rebates from the government. The programs greatest success was in the Rhône-Alpes were, among other more mundane ideas, plans were made to build a factory which would produce difference engines by the hundreds.
( -£400,000, +1 industry level)

In the Kingdom of Naples, the plan, such as it was, for the start of the year was to allow the nation’s capitalist and businessmen to build and invest in new factories, hoping that it would help the region industrialize to a level more comparable to other European nations. Unfortunately, most capitalists in the nation seemed to have been content with what they had, as few invested in new projects, and even fewer into any kind of heavy industry. In April, members of the government who were desperate to produce results for the king, began to offer large sums money to these capitalists with no strings attached apart from vague promises that it would be used to invest in industry. By June, it was clear that the money would likely never return to the Neapolitan government.
( -£100,000, no industry change)
The General Staff’s luck proved to be no better, as their plans to study the armies of other nations fell apart. Several instances of Neapolitan officers being arrested across Europe as they tried to observe private drilling sessions soon occurred, leaving King Luciano little choice but to apologize and offer to pay for damage they caused.
( -£250,000, no army change)

In Tripoli Sultin Selim ibn Ahmed as-Senussi was left to sit angrily in Tripoli when despite his assurances, King Charles II of Holland failed to uphold his end of the Tripoli-Amsterdam Pact. Without any kind of advisors from Holland, Tripoli continued to function much as it had for the past few decades, aside from signing the Dolambahce, which proved to be posturing by the other nations of the region, rather the policy for actual change.
(no stat change)

raygun_02_zps92b804f9.jpg

The original prototype of the 'ray gun' developed by Danish scientists.

In Denmark the government quickly unveiled their plan to make the country technologically relevant with a propaganda campaign about how greatly improved the people’s lives will be thanks to Danish innovation. On a more practical level, businesses which had proven to be entrepreneurial in the past received increased government funding. This lead to some impressive advances in the field of automatons especially, making the lives of the Danes just a little bit easier.
( -£300,000, +1 tech level)
Denmark did not stop its program of technological advancement there however, soon announcing the unexpected and sudden development of a directed energy weapon. This “ray gun” as some newspapers took to calling it, fired a large electric beam that was capable of creating immense amounts of destruction. Soon after its announcement the device and several variations of it could be found in factories making delicate and precise cuts, not only in Denmark, but in all the Scandinavian countries as well as the Baltic Union. Many military theorists found it likely that plans were being made by these nations to find a way to equip their armies with the devastating new weapon as well.
( -£1,500,000, +1 tech level, +1 industry level)

For the Sultanate of Morocco, in addition to the convention in Constantinople and the signing of the Dolmabahce accords, most of the first half of 1880 was taken up by the Bern Conference. The Sultanate sent dozens of its top scientists to the conference with the hopes of learning more about airships and just how they functioned. Unfortunately, despite the delegates from all over Europe, few bothered to give the Moroccan scientists the time of day, much less actually help them learn to develop airships of their own.
( -£150,000, no tech change)

The Ottoman Empire’s agreement with the South German Confederacy went better than many in the Sultan’s court had expected. The nation’s military was drilled along European standards for much of the first half of the year, and officers were taught European tactics. While an entire military cannot be reformed overnight, the progress proved promising. Bavarian scientists were also sent to Istanbul, where they were sent to teach at universities and work with Ottoman research teams on various projects. By June they had helped the Empire in many ways, including showing critical pieces of information for the future development of difference engines and airships.
( -£350,000, +1 tech level, +1 army level)

((A few things worth mentioning as we end turn one. Both sides of a treaty need use an order to sign it for it to have any affect, if only one person signs it, then they are unfortunately wasting their order. In addition, only treaties that will affect stats, say military advisors or a trade deal, need to be an order. Finally, as far as orders to send in, I’m alright with however detailed of vague you want to make them, just make sure that they don’t try to accomplish more than one thing, meaning no order to advance your tech level and build airships in the same order while your other one is about industry. As always, feel free to ask any questions you might have, either on IRC or PM me. Also, since it seems I forgot to mention, you'll never pay more than 500,000 on an order unless you specify that you want to spend a certain amount. If you do, it will help your rolls.

Stats will be up by tomorrow, until then, feel free to write about your results and plan your next steps.))

Last edited:
qmtdN0r.png

The Kingdom of Holland solemnly held a Royal Funeral in Southern Holland, taking place at the 'House in the Woods' Huis ten Bosch. The Bonaparte's gaining control of it when they invaded the low-countries in 1795. Louis I made it his official residence for a few years, before moving his court to Amsterdam to build a new palace right in Town Square. However, this site continued to be a favorite among family members, often the site of many grand parties and balls of the international scale. The elegant gardens were laid out specifically for Josephine, bouquets of her favorite flower ordered and arranged specifically for the night, thousands of candles dotted all around the gardens as all of the nobility of Europe was invited to mourn. It is even said that the prestigious, rightfully feared Napoleon II cried solemn tears when he saw his young daughter in the casket. Charles II was courteous and a fair host, but he retired early in the night to steal himself away to more of his more personal mourning. His attendants spoke of how he could not eat, drink, or even sleep, getting no work done leaving the entire nation in a state of depression and sadness to see their leader brought so low. Even as the military expanded to levels it has never reached before in all of the Low-countries history, it was still left as an side-note compared to the young queen's death. Her remains were requested by Charles to be buried in France Paris, her favorite city in the world.

T6OZul8.jpg

Huis Ten Bosch