• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Πτολεμαῖος​

To His Excellency Polyperchon, Regent of the Macedonian Kingdom

Word has reached us of Antipatros' passing, and in hopes of maintaining the peaceful ties between the various subjects of the realm, I wish to entreat with your person in the hopes of avoiding a needless conflict where otherwise peace could well reign.

The outbreak of hostilities between myself and the former Regent were beyond your control, and you acted as you were expected and commanded – thus I bear you no ill will or any fault in the present tenseness of relations presently borne between our lands; I am also inclined to believe that under new leadership, the Regency would be more pliable to an equitable arrangement.

I ask for only four things; the first being the return of Egyptian troops to Egypt, something I hope can be speedily arranged. The second would come not from you, but from Kassandros, son and heir of Antipatros – he would firstly agree to pay for the damages incurred upon the Ptolemaic fleet during the course of the heinous and unwarranted attack ordered by his father, and would secondly apologise for his fathers actions and libels against Ptolemaios. Lastly, that an accord, an understanding, be made regarding the status of Crete, to be determined at a later date more fully when tensions between our lands have diminished.

I hope sincerely that peace can be maintained under newer, more prudent leadership.

Ptolemaios

The rider is sent back with a message.

To Peithon, Strategos of Persia and the Indus.

I must admit that the proclamation of which you issued has caused great harm and worry, to which I was quite worried about, furthermore that you implied that you commanded me to follow certain actions. However with the apology which you have given, such worries are set aside and forgiven, I understand that my actions might seem questionable to some, and that men in the East are worried. However know that all my actions have been for the betterment of the Empire, to be able to handle issues which may arise and ensure order.

As you might have heard from reports, then the rebels dispersed at my mere presence in the region, and that of my army. Furthermore I have decided to reward the armies of both Babylonia and Mesopotamia for their great work in ending the rebellion, without any battles having to be fought.

Word has also reached me of events in Pella, and perhaps it would be prudent for us to meet in person and as such I will welcome it. However as you have also had several demands of me, if you will allow me to use that term, then I will make it clear now that I will come and speak with you, but there is no pre-agreements in regards to any issue which has arisen and which we need to discuss, and I make no pledge in any regards before the meeting. As such I also suggest that we meet along our border to discuss, as equals. I will also furthermore ask you not to bring nor invite Peukestas, Satrap of Persis and Carmania, as he has had a blatant disregard for me and my interests, not to mention other issues.

I look forward to seeing you.

- Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia.

So many letters I have to respond to, and so little incentives to do so. I guess I'll re read them, to see if there is anything I ought to answer to.

Dear Eumenes,

The glorious destruction of the Mesopotamian and Syrian insurrections warms my heart, and I am pleased to see order restored to the realm. However, we must all consider graver matters even in this time of triumph: the mismanagement which led to this grievous rebellion in the first place.

I therefore invite you to a council in my splendid town of Gazaca. It has been too long since I last entertained such a distinguished guest, and there is an urgent need to resolve the matter of the Satrapy's immediate and future administration in a fashion which is just, equitable and profitable to the Kings and their Empire.

Atropates.

Honoured Eumenes,

In light of the tragic illness of the regent, and the probable consequence, I have decided to cancel the conference I previously invited you to. A council of the whole empire shall anyway be convened to decide upon the new regent, in the likely event that dear Antipatros shall pass away, and I hope that we all can decide upon a solution to the problem of Mesopotamia there.

I hope that this letter finds you are in good health,

Atropates.

At least I no longer need to answer that one. I wouldn't want Seleukos to grow too strong, but couldn't they find a better place to gather? Gazaca isn't exactly the world's grandest city and we couldn't gather our troops in this desolate town. I wonder if Seleukos will be opposed, now that the situation with the Antipatrids has taken the precedence.

Those as of yet unaware of the events that have transpired on Crete, let it be known that the forces of the Satrapy of Egypt, during the course of committing a punitive campaign to decimate the pirates who have laid asunder the trade of this Kingdom and made strained our ties to Karkhedon, were suddenly and maliciously accosted by the forces of the “Regent” Antipatros, who under the most dubious (nay, non-existent) of pretences had them seized and dragged to Makedon – he has further made claim, in a further attempt to legitimise his crimes against the Kingdom and my person, to declare myself, the Queen Mother Roxana, and the Queen Dowager Olympias as complicit in the murder of the Regent Perdikkas, whilst providing no evidence in the affirmative; indeed, it is apparent that throughout the course of his Regency, Antipatros concerned himself more with advancing his own agenda, empowering and enriching himself at the expense of the Kingdom, than seek the truth of the matter regarding the murder of his predecessor or in the just, moral, and proper stewardship of the realm.

Antipatros has further declared my actions “arrogant,” as to what actions he is referring to, I am hopelessly unaware; did I not secure peace between our Kingdom and the Karkhedonoi? Did I not bring order to Kyrene and Syria? Have I not protected the rights of my neighbours and fellow Satraps, as mine own brother-n-law Eumenes can attest to? And did I not act selflessly in my campaign in Krete, asking only for a pittance of a tribute to ensure my lands were not burdened by the expedition – an expedition ruthlessly attacked by Antipatros, the patron of thieves, pirates, and criminals, that despot who has besmirched the legacy and demolished the Kingdom of Megas Alexandros, mine own brother!

It is therefore wholly necessary and just that I, Ptolemaios the Satrap of Egypt, declare the false Regent Antipatros a villain, call for his removal from the office of the Regency, the men of the Satrapy of Egypt returned at once and unmolested, and compensation for the heinous and most injurious and deliberate attack upon my honour and my forces recompensed.

Should not these legitimate demands be met by Antipatros, or his representative, then a state of war shall exist between the Antipatrid traitors and the Kingdom of Macedon, and all those who remain faithful to the King, Alexandros IV. In his name, and in the name of his great and honoured father, my brother, my friend – let it be done.

There is truth in these words, I am unsure why Antipatros wanted to break Ptolemy's power. I would have expected an order from the King, telling his troops to stand down. He wnet further than that, and might have made the situation harsher for his men. On the other hand, Ptolemaios has acted on behalf of the realm for his own personal interest when dealing with Carthage, sought to bring Alikarnassos under his wing during the war against Antigonos even though it had a rightful satrap it belonged to, and has defied the Regent's authority time and time again. I have no desire to be torn between my brother-in-laws. I'll just ignore that one.

By the Word of Peithon, Strategos of Persia and the Indus, so says He!

In my authority as established by the King through the Regency, I so solemnly declare as such:

- Satrap Seleukos shall release the Satrapy of Mesopotamia to a Satrap as agreed by a gathering of peers. Arkesilaos had shown himself incapable, however in a civilised land one does not simply seize the land of another which belongs to the King.

- With the Regent on his deathbed and his actions in question, we see that even know his mind is with the Gods. Incapable of ruling as regent, I call on a gathering of peers to appoint a new Regent to serve His Highness.

- With the lost of wits of the fine Antipatros, I ask Ptolemaios to generously forgive such actions. Clearly the body acts with malevolence when the mind is gone.

Therefore it must be seen to all that a gathering of peers is again needed in the kingdom.

So says I, Peithon, Strategos of Persia and the Indus.

How amusing. Not only is he insulting the Antipatrids, who control Pella, the King and the largest part of the Macedonian army but he is questioning the synedrion. We could overrule the synedrion's decision I suppose but if we do so, why would we bother staying loyal to the Argeads? I have little desire to see what I've worked so hard to achieve be taken from my hands, should the whelp ever become adult. Of course, such thoughts cannot be made public.

Even so, insulting the Regent and Seleukos is a move I wouldn't have expected. This should be interesting enough.

I truly wonder what will happen next. Still, there is no reason for me to get involved at this point.

A letter arrives to Polyperchon

To Polyperchon, the regent of the Kings.

I write to you today in regards to the question of Mesopotamia, however first I would like to send me condolences on the death of Antipatros as well as my congratulations on being appointed the new regent, may your term in office bring peace and stability.

But now to the matter at hand, I have ended the rebellion in Mesopotamia as per the orders of the late Antipatros. As such the previous Satrap has proven that he did little to nothing to end, and even provoked rebellious tendencies by clashing with the local population in the past, as such he has shown himself not to be able to govern Mesopotamia, a fact that everyone in the region has recognized.
As such now that I have established control of the region, as well as the rebels backing down at my command, and more importantly having the support of the Mesopotamian army, and having restored peace. Then I hereby write my request or recommendation if you prefer to be selected as the next Satrap of Mesopotamia, which would please me immensely and make me very happy, as well as bringing peace to the region.

With that peace, then it would also be possible to finally send the body of Alexander the Great to his proper resting place within Macedon. That I would happily make my top priority to ensure his continued rest.

I also hope that this could be the beginning of a long and close friendship between our persons.

- Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia.

"A letter from Ptolemy. Has he seen sense?"

Return to me my men, or face war.

"Onto the fire with that then. What of the longer ramblings from Egypt?"

Should not these legitimate demands be met by Antipatros, or his representative, then a state of war shall exist between the Antipatrid traitors and the Kingdom of Macedon, and all those who remain faithful to the King, Alexandros IV.

"Excellent, treason it is then! Onto the fire with this one too."

"Greetings Polyperchon, Guardian. I understand that you have received correspondence from our friend in Memphis. Let us not bandy words; any 'terms' he demands are meaningless. I will gladly apologise for any offence that my father caused him, though only if he publicly celebrates Antipater's tenure as Regent and openly mourns his loss; to quote my father, " ...if pride is so easy to wound then perhaps it is of a less firm grounding than he would like others to believe".
For his missing ships, may I suggest that an offering be given to Poseidon. Such an act would ensure that those who lost their lives will rest peacefully in the after life, and if the Lord of the Sea is satisfied, how can Ptolemy not be? He has aspirations, no doubt, but few can claim divinity!

Forgive my sense of humour, but my point remains. We must stand firm on Crete. As a final point, mark the ending of Ptolemy's declaration. I feel his opinions are laid bare."

Last edited:
To regent Polyperchon.

It has been long time since we seen each other. I congratulate you on regency and I know that you will rule in best interest of kings and kingdom. On other hand I urge you to consider appointing new satrap of Mesopotamia now that order has been restored. Reasons are twofold. First Arkesilaos proved himself inefficient satrap and Seleukos already controls one of the richest satrapy in kingdom. If he were allowed to control another rich satrapy that would concentrate too much power in one man and further destabilize the kingdom. Best solution would be to elect new satrap.

Krateros, satrap of Armenia

To Ptolemaios, Satrap of Aegyptos

I wish to honour the will of Antipatros. Even though you have openly called for a revolt against him, myself and King Philippos III, I shall forgive you. But keep in mind, this will not be tolerated again. You will leave Crete on its own for now. Regarding the attack upon the fleet of Aegyptos, I hope that you can solve the matter with Kassandros, in case you still consider him liable for his father’s actions.

Your troops will soon be shipped to Aegyptos with our fleet. In case some feel the need to stay here, I understand that. I will send voluntary settlers in their stead. I hope that you agree to a cessation of any possible hostilities, and that you refer to Kassandros about the question of further apologies and compensations.

Polyperchon, Guardian of the Royal Family

I appreciate your quick restoration of order. Similarly I appreciate your offer of returning Alexandros Megas’s body to Pella, where it belongs. Arkesilaos is indeed relieved from his duties as the Satrap of Mesopotamia. I expect you to pay him a decent compensation though. You, Seleukos, shall be considered the legal Satrap of Mesopotamia the day the body of Alexandros arrives in Pella. I look forward to counselling with you regarding other pressing matters.

To Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia

To Krateros, Satrap of Armenia

Your concern is appreciated, but at this moment I have nobody else willing to be sent there. Seleukos already controls the Satrapy, and can be considered widely popular. He has served the Kingdom loyally, and thus I see no problem in granting the Satrapy to him. Of course, we must keep a good eye on these lands, as the two Satrapies are of utmost economical and strategical importance. Noting that you are low on gold to pay for new troops, which our frontiers really need, I will oversee that 25,000 Drachmae worth of gold and silver is sent to you – in order to maintain stability and peace on the border region.

To Philotas, Satrap of Pamphylia and Kilikia

The kingdoms of Cyprus never submitted to a Satrap. We submitted to Alexandros Megas when he requested our help in the siege of Tyre. Thus we will have to refer to the regent regarding this matter. He acts in the rights of the Kings. If he, however, deems that Cyprus will be under Cilicia, so be it then. Though, usually we were part of the Syrian Satrapy of the Persians, though for years they didn’t have real rule here. Nevertheless, we wait for the words of your regent before making any decisions.

Nikokreon, King of Salamis

GM NOTE: Order deadline is extended to the 12th of March (20:59 GMT) because I am busy.

Regent Antipatros...Antigonos

To Antigonus
In light of my fathers condition, and his stepping down as regent, I have become the master of his affairs. I thank you for the support you offered him with regard to his penultimate act as regent, and I would be glad if such support extended to my own person. That said, I hope for a peaceful settlement with Ptolemy.

((I'm afraid that I will have to resign, gentlemen. It wouldn't be fair to all the other players if I were to remain an inactive player.))

To Polyperchon, Guardian of the Royal Family

I thank you greatly for the trust you have placed in me, as for the body of Alexander the Great, then I fully understand that you desire it as quickly and as safely as possible, which is why I now propose this to you. You will not confirm me as the official and permanent Satrap until you have the body, as such I propose that we do the exchange in Tyros, where I will arrive with the body. In turn you can personally come and oversee it, or you can send a trusted officer to come and greet me, when the meeting has taken place, I will be announced as the official Satrap, and the person in Tyros will have an official letter from you. I will then be given the letter, and in turn the body will then be given to your officer and thus in your control for further transport to Macedon.

Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia.

((Doesn't council need to confirm you officaly as satrap, that was case with me too. Max made me satrap of Armenia, it wasn't official until council made me.))

There's still a lot of work to be done. How come it takes so long for them to set up smithies? Either they aren't collaborating and wish to see me fail - in this case I must make sure a few heads roll - or trying to get natives, Persians and Greeks to work on a common project wasn't my brightest idea. Mh. I'll have Hieronimos look into it, this cannot go on. I was told these natives were good with metalworks however and this is a potential advantage I don't want to discard too fast. Antigonos' lousy forges will pale in comparaison with mine, when I'm done.

He took his horse for a ride, only followed by Pharnabazus who had regained his favour. The aging men arrived to the outskirts of the city, where the works were taking place. From where he stood he could observe the mines and if he wasn't mistaken it was an ore convoy he saw on the path to the city. His sight had deteriorated, recently. Yet, he was still more than able to watch over the works and from he gathered, it wasn't progressing fast - the Cappadocian workers didn't understand Greek or feigned not to - but the progress was steady. He would need these weapons so witnessing positive changes was a pleasure. He had seen enough. The workers wouldn't be more efficient under his gaze. It was time to head back for the palace, Eurydice's labour was hopefully over.

Indeed it was. Another daughter. He had hoped for a son, but maybe this was for the best. A son could have disputed Archelaus' rights and he didn't want his court to be divided in Greek and Persian factions. She would be a good bargaining chip and a way to make alliances. Her name would be Helena. He had toyed with the idea of naming her Eumenia, but people wouldn't understand. They never did.

Mithranes pleista khairein Eumenes;

Unlike Krateros, I always wished for good relations with the peoples of Anatolia and saw - and continue to see - the Armenian Kingdom as a partner and not an enemy that would have to be brought down. However, I know the ties between Macedon and your own realm remain weak, and I have come to hear about plans involving a potential conquest of your lands by ambitious satraps. I shall keep their names silent, for my loyalty goes to Macedon as a whole, but I will let you know that some you may see as friends cannot be trusted. I, however, wish to become and remain your stalwart friend, if you let me.

In order to forge this new bond, I will send you weapons from my new smithies, to arm you and your companions. This token of friendship also shows that I don't fear to give you weapons, and that I thus trust we won't end on different sides. I would like to develop trade ties on top of this friendship, to let our peoples enjoy it as well.

Lastly, I wish to ask you if you have eligible daughters for my friend Pharnabazus. He is high-born, comes from a family of satraps, and related by blood to me and the mighty Ptolemaios. I believe he would be a fitting match for an Orontid princess.

Eutukhei

Alcaeus pleista khairein Eumenes;

My old friend, as you know, our plans had to be postponed but I assure you that I have all intents to enact them, when the time comes. Maybe the chaos in Syria will help us? Nevertheless, I come asking you for something else. When Ariarathes the Elder made me his son and heir, he asked me to take care of his family and notably of his namesake and nephew, Ariarathes. He has served me well and I believe that, in order to shape the new Macedon, a man of his stature - his uncle was King, if only for a while - deserves a good bride. This is why I am asking you to search for a suitable Greek wife for him, there must certainly be ladies worth his attention in Sinope. If necessary, let the potential father know that I would consider this a personal favour, and I am willing to assist him monetarily if he can be convinced this way.

Like always, if there is anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. I have undertaken a few projects here, but I always have time and attention for true friends.

Eutukhei

Those letters were a pain to write. Who am I, some matchmaker?

Tensions, Influences and Fleets​

In order to gain recognition for his ownership of the Satrapy of Mesopotamia, Seleukos decided to use his trump card. The body of Alexandros had been left to Babylon after the conference of the army, but the mausoleum itself had never been finished. Seleukos had shown little interest in keeping it there and continuing the work, due to the fact that Babylon was unlikely to become the capital of Macedon again, now that Antipatros and his successor Polyperchon ruled from Pella. Polyperchon had greatly appreciated the move, and he looked highly about the young general. The preserved body of the late conqueror King would also greatly bolster the legitimacy of Macedon as the center of the vast empire and its authority over the outlying satraps.

Seleukos was, however, worried about the safety of the body. Thus the funeral cortege was protected by a vast force making a march to Tyros. In total about ten thousand men made their way from Euphrates to the Orontes and from there to Phoenicia. A cavalry force was dispatched from Damascus, for whatever reason, but it soon turned back – finding the funeral column very well protected. The intentions of this cavalry force remain unclear, but it served as a reminder that tension was not over yet.

Polyperchon had dispatched a squadron of the Macedonian fleet to patrol the waters around Crete, in order to make sure that no Ptolemaic force would land again on the island. The League of Kydonia offered lenient peace terms to Gortyn, only demanding compensation, restoration of Phaistos – at least to some extent, and the break up of the pro-Ptolemaic League. How, Ptolemaios would instruct Gortyn remained to be seen. A fraction of his army was still in there, and would still be able to largely influence future events.

A number of ships were dispatched to Phoenicia from Macedon. They were there to take over and escort the body, and to return the Ptolemaic soldiers to their master. All in all, the handover went as planned off Tyros, and Seleukos was confirmed by the Regent as the Satrap of Mesopotamia. Before leaving for Macedon, officers from the fleet travelled around in the Phoenician cities, meeting with elders and merchants, for some reason.

From Damascus, Ptolemaios continued to project his influence in Syria. A number of officials arrived from Aegyptos, “to assist in taxation and administration”. Authority of Laomedon was considered to be eroding, Seleukos marched through his lands with an army, Phoenician cities mostly ruled themselves with great autonomy and now Ptolemaios’ army controlled a vast area in the south. The Ptolemaic garrison was indeed also bolstered. Wanting to replenish his losses on the sea of Crete, and to strengthen his armies, Ptolemaios ordered a new fleet to be constructed and new armies to be raised. The building of the fleet was hindered by a normally higher price for Phoenician timber, as well as poor availability.

Satrap Philotas now also had an interest in fleet building. A larger navy for Cilicia was put under construction, with ships to be finished the next year. In an attempt to emulate Ptolemaios’ action on Crete, Philotas sent letters to the kings of Cyprus, hoping to influence them towards himself. A number of Kings, opposed to Salamis, decided to advocate for closer relations. They were however undecided about how far they were ready to go, at least for now.

[+50 tetretes, +100 triremes to Ptolemaios next spring/summer, -125,000 Drachmae ]
[+10 penters, +30 tetretes to Philotas next spring, -50,000 drachmae]
[1,000 HI, 1,000 VI returned to Ptolemaios in Syria]
[6,000 LI, 3,000 CAV, 2,000 HI recruited by Ptolemaios in Egypt, -110,000 Drachmae]
[Body of Alexandros in Pella]

GM NOTE: The update will only come once the forum transfer is completed. This is in order to not lose vital IC or updates, and also because my final exams are rather exhausting. Please stay tuned and use this break to enjoy the spring or whatever.

To Arkesilaos

Greetings, I write to you today as the regent has appointed me the new Satrap of Mesopotamia, thus ending the dispute and unrest that has recently been seen in this region. I also hope that you have been treated well during your stay and that my soldiers have guarded you well, and kept you away from any possible angry men in the region.

However as your tenure as Satrap is over, I expect you will be travelling back to Pella and the royal court, if that is the case then I will happily provide you with an escort, for both you and your family to make sure of their continued safety should you wish it.
Furthermore than I am also proposing an agreement with you, you hold several estates in Mesopotamia, as such with you returning to Pella, I would like to buy them off you, in return for your estates then I am willing to offer you 60.000 drachma. Furthermore then if you agree to not seek any recompensation for actions taken, or potential damages caused, or further issue between us, then I am willing furthermore offer you another 15.000 drachma as compensation.

- Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia and Mesopotamia.

((Seleukos officers will also burn all other letters that has previously before this message been given to Arkesilaos.))

Eumenes’s Diplomacy​

Eumenes had consolidated his Asian satrapies into a formidable domain. Vast resources, decent population and control of the Royal Road and the Euxine Coast gave him great leverage and income. Thus it was only logical that his next step was to project it outside the Kingdom. He sent envoys to the Armenian King Mithrenes, along with presents of Greek armor and weapons and other specialties collected from his satrapy, in order to show that he was now the mightiest Satrap of Asia. Mithrenes had watched with great suspicion as Krateros lingered first to the Euxine, and then gathered influence among some coastal tribes. The men had made peace, but both surely mistrusted each other.

Thus Mithrenes welcomed the delegation with great celebration. Relations with Krateros’s neighbor would certainly be useful, one way or other. And indeed, he approved Eumenes’s request. Pharnabazus, the son of Artabazus, once Satrap of Phrygia, was given an Armenian princess in marriage. The Orontids were an originally Persian family after all. Pharnabazus, a general of Eumenes, would thus have his own influence and meaning, too. Eumenes would need noble Persians and able generals and statesmen to help govern his Satrapies. Thus he also wished to appease Ariarathes, the adopted son of the late Cappadocian King. He in turn received a Greek wife from Sinope. Eumenes wanted to tie the Greeks and the Persians closer together, which was more and more accomplished.

In addition to conducting this diplomacy and strengthening of his alliances within the Satrapy, Eumenes had other work to do. In Comana, new foundries and workshops were organized, and Greek, Persian and Chabyle smiths went to work to produce better quality weapons and armor for his armies. Good ore and combining of various expertises would have beneficial results. Having a stable production in Cappadocia would also give him a good edge over his neighbors. Of them, Krateros decided to continue work with his mines, investing a moderate sum again, and thus also increasing the production.

Antigonos’s foundries for weapons had been established already last year. Now a steady flow to unknown purchasers filled his coffins very well. This money was used to partly fund the expansion of the port of Xanthos, in order for him to gain his own share from the revived Aegean trade. While the effects weren’t tremendous, the expenses weren’t either. Competition between the many Asian cities was very hard, and gaining a new share would require far more work from now on, from any Satrap.

[-50,000 Drachmae to Eumenes, +10,000 income ]
[-20,000 Drachmae, +5,000 income to Krateros]
[-15,000 Drachmae, +5,000 trade income to Antigonos]

3rd Quarter of the 115th Olympiad
(318 BCE)​
Fxm266p.jpg

Both Kassandros and Polyperchon agree on one thing – the main project for recent years, the fortifications and the roads must be finished. Thus great wealth is directed from the Royal Treasury for the project. The Thermophylae and the Vale of the Tempe are well fortified, and the good road will make sure that Greece stays within strong Macedonian rule. Due to this, Polyperchon starts to formulate a plan in order to grant more liberties and remove some of the harshest peace terms imposed upon Greek cities. He, however, decides to not act as of now, instead wishing to discuss the matter more with Kassandros. The matter of incomes would also have to be solved. As of now, Kassandros as the General and Governor of Greece received the payments of tribute and trade tolls, while Polyperchon controlled the Royal estates and treasuries.
[forts and road compeleted, -50,000 Drachmae, +5,000 trade to Kassandros]

Due to the intervention against Ptolemaios, Kassandros orders the expansion of the Macedonian fleet with another 25 penteres. The naval build up between Egypt and Macedon proper is followed with great concern.
[-75,000 Drachmae, +25 penteres available next year]

Lysimakhos finished the construction of his Larissa, by far the most important city in Thrace. The road through Thrace was also progressing right in time, once finished it would help connect the barbarian lands better with Greece. From the north, however, bad news came. The barbarian Getae and the Triballi had expanded into the weakening Odrysian Kingdom, seizing vast territory from the Odrysian tribes, and gaining the allegiance of the others. Seuthes asked Lysimakhos for help in combating the threat.
[-50,000 Drachmae, Larissa finished, 4/6 Thrace road, +5,000 trade, +5,000 income]

Leonnatos establishes watchposts along the Hellespont, wary of naval movements in case of further war. He also recruits further soldiers from the local population, and south of him, Menandros does the same with local Greeks, acquiring new regiments of phalanx.
[-25,000 Drachmae, watchposts]
[-5,000 Drachmae, +2,000 LI to Leonnatos]
[-20,000 Drachmae, +2,000 HI to Menandros]

Pergamon had become the primary city and capital of Lydia. Wanting to show his interests in the other colonies and small poleis, Menandros directs fund to renovation and expansion in them, in order to adapt for a larger urban population made up of both Greek settlers and some Lydians. Even though the cities improve, there is no drastic new effect to Aegean trade, which remains fiercely contested.
[-25,000 Drachmae]

Satrap Philotas wanted to attract even more settlers to Kilikia. Indeed, a number of Hellenes move from Syria due to the revolts and instability and some Cretans and Athenians also come. However, further huge immigration is very unlikely. Nevertheless, Kilikia already has one of the largest Hellenic populations in Asia, thanks to trade, existing settlements and proximity to sea.
[-25,000 drachmae, +5,000 income]

Ptolemaios orders the “beautification” of Alexandria on the Nile. Statues are ordered and shrines built. A number of statue makers from Greek cities relocates to Alexandria in order to help Ptolemaios, who is willing to pay them lavishly. A number of prominent thinkers and philosophers also arrive, once again because Ptolemaios is ready to offer them vast wealth in Egypt.
[-100,000 Drachmae, Alexandria on the Nile 8/10, +5,000 income ]

Seleukos, now confirmed as the Satrap of Mesopotamia in addition to Babylonia, rewards his men with a huge bonus pay. The officers receive a pay amounting to two years, and normal soldiers one years worth of it. This greatly increases their loyalty. In addition, he purchases the estates Arkesilaos had owned in Mesopotamia. Arkesilaos leaves for retirement in Greece, leaving Seleukos as one of the most powerful generals in Asia.
[-275,000 Drachmae, +30,000 personal income]

After acquiring the ‘Satrapy of Mykia’, which so far amounted to nothing at all, Peukestas ordered the construction of a fleet consisting of 50 triremes. Some were completed with great haste, in order to serve in a survey to the coasts of Mykia. A small settlement is found, and envoys embark the ships to meet with the locals. Mykia had been a Satrapy of the Persians, but now the locals wanted nothing to do with Peukestas. Only would they agree to negotiate with the King directly. Even though the envoys tried to explain that the King no longer ruled from Persia, and that the Greeks had taken over, the locals refused to comply. The envoys return back to Carmania empty-handed.
[-50,000 Drachmae, +50 triremes]

Atropates sends his army up north to the frontier with Albanians. This movement alarms the Armenian King Mithrenes, who in turn strengthens his hegemonic ties with the local tribes, and sends an army to raise and man fortifications along the Median border. In addition to the military maneuvers, a small merchant fleet is constructed on the Hyrcanian Sea. Trading with the Scythian tribes and the Satrap of Hyrcania and Parthia is decently profitable. With a proclamation read out in Gazaca, the punishments for corruption are also reduced.
[-25,000 Drachme, small merchant fleet on the Caspian, +5,000 trade]

Sogdiana is known as the land of a thousand cities. Intrigued by this claim, Satrap Philippos decides to add yet another one to the mix. A city, to be an infusion of Hellenic and Iranian culture, is located close to the Sogdian Rock. So far it is simply a military colony for Greek veterans, but might become a more important settlement later. Though, competing with the traditional Sogdian and Bactrian urban centers – and those established by Alexandros, might be hard.
[-25,000 Drachmae, colony established near Sogdian rock]

Krateros decides to hide a few Greek and native peltasts as mercenaries and recruits. Seleukos further bolsters his vast army with native troops. And Lysimakhos and Eumenes establish also further new regiments of phalanx from Greek mercenaries and citizens of colonies.
[-20,000 Drachmae, +2,000 HI to Lysimakhos]
[-20,000 Drachmae, +2,000 HI to Eumenes]
[-15,000 Drachmae, +3,000 LI to Krateros]
[-75,000 Drachmae, +3,000 LI, +2,000 HI, +1,000 Cav to Seleukos]

GM NOTE: Sorry for delay, the finals took up quite a lot of time. The forum transfer presents us with a problem, so I will put a tentative deadline on 30th of March. The game will then start proceeding faster due to my increased spare time. Stats are updated, and so is map.

Last edited:
To Koinos, Satrap of Susiana

Greetings Koinos, I hope this letter finds you in good spirit and health. I write to you to invite you to Babylon for a meeting between us, I desire to increase the cooperation between us and I believe we could both benefit from this. My proposal is that a new road network will be built between our cities, in hopes to foster trade, I hope to see you in Babylon, when you arrive there are also more delicate matters I wish to discuss with you.

- Seleukos, Satrap of Babylonia and Mesopotamia.

GM NOTE: Okay, so apparently we cant edit posts after 10 minutes. Due to this the game is on hold until the forums work PROPERLY again.

Reactions:
GM NOTE: Editing and other things seem to be working now. Orders due in 48 hours. I will fix the links in the chronicle post Soon (TM).

EDIT: The links in the 'Chronology' post should be working now.

Last edited:
Rise of Agathocles

s2N2B0x.jpg

Beneath the top tier of the Diadochi – the senior Macedonian commanders who had become Satraps of the vast provinces of Asia – was a group of junior officers, mercenaries and adventurers. Some, however, desired to be included among the strongmen of the new order. One of these men was Agathocles. Born as a son of a potter in Sicily, he had been banished from Syracuse for plotting against the oligarchy. He had served as a minor cavalry commander in the Macedonian army, but now he was to return. With a band of several thousand mercenaries, some former mercenaries of Macedon or the Greek cities, he seized Syracuse, slaughtered his opponents and became a Tyrant.

Quickly after consolidating his power in the polis, he started to build an army and a powerful navy, in order to conquer the other Greek poleis of Sicily, and to ultimately wage war on the Carthaginians. Indeed, many of his coins started to integrate Alexandros’ motifs. Agathocles wanted to portray himself as the Alexandros of Sicily, a general capable of defeating the Barbarians of the East like Alexandros had done. Persians and Carthaginians had for long been equated by the Hellenes. A showdown in Sicily would surely come within a decade, and Carthage and her council was already worried.

And in north in the Great Greece proper, another conflict threatened the poleis and colonies. The new power that had united the Latins, Rome was waging war on the Samnites. But now, the Samnites had dealt a series of blows to them, and under humiliating terms Rome had been forced to withdraw to lick her wounds. However, revenge would come in time. The Greek poleis attempted to guide themselves away from the continuing tensions, and they had already asked for protection from Epirus, to which Aiakides had agreed. The question was, would he come to their help in their time of need?

GM NOTE: Also yay for a mini, let's get this game going on.

There is also an amendment to the rule regarding birth of offspring. From now on there is no need to ask the GM for rolls on it. Instead players are allowed to IC one birth per consort in two years. (For consorts past 35 years of age, GM rolls still apply).